Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS News & Rumors Camera Rumors and Predictions 
Thread started 11 Sep 2014 (Thursday) 04:24
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Canon 7D MkII specs confirmed

this thread is locked
myphotographic
218 posts
Joined Oct 2010

Sep 11, 2014 16:47 |  #76

scottsoutter wrote in post #17148333 (external link)
on the down side, with the release of the 7dii, what will legions of canon fans have to talk about?

EF100-400 mk II chat will keep us going for another ten years...

Paul

sponsored links
artyman
Sleepless in Hampshire
14,402 posts
Gallery: 17 photos
Joined Feb 2009

Sep 11, 2014 17:05 as a reply to  @ post 17147869 |  #77

Hmm a bit disappointing, so I can cross that off my Christmas list.

Art that takes you there. http://www.artyman.co.​uk (external link)
Ken
Canon 7D, 350D, 15-85, 18-55, 75-300, Cosina 100 Macro, Sigma 120-300

bps
Cream of the Crop
7,607 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Sep 11, 2014 17:16 |  #78

myphotographic wrote in post #17148727 (external link)
EF100-400 mk II chat will keep us going for another ten years...

And so will the 35L Mark II...

:lol:

Bryan

My Gear List

hiketheplanet
666 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined May 2013

Sep 11, 2014 17:27 as a reply to  @ artyman's post |  #79

Don't write it off yet. Think about it, a 70D quality APS-C sensor with 1DX AF system? Sounds pretty sweet to me. Of course, the price will be the real decider.

Thorrulz
Goldmember
3,778 posts
Gallery: 20 photos
Joined Jan 2009

Sep 11, 2014 17:30 |  #80

hiketheplanet wrote in post #17148774 (external link)
Don't write it off yet. Think about it, a 70D quality APS-C sensor with 1DX AF system? Sounds pretty sweet to me. Of course, the price will be the real decider.

Yeah, Canon always prices their products geared towards the masses so I'm sure it will come in as cheap as possible.

Flickr (external link)
D800 I Nikon 200 f2 VR 1 I Nikon 200 f2 ED AI-S I Nikon 135 f2 DC I Nikon 28-70 f/2.8 I Nikon 50 f/1.4G I Nikon 85 f/1.8G I Pentax 645D I SMC FA 645 75 F2.8 I SMC FA 645 45-85 F4.5 I SMC FA 645 200 F4
My sister, the professional baker and cake decorator once told me that my camera takes great pics. My reply was that I thought her oven baked great cakes.:lol:

EmaginePixel
Goldmember
1,944 posts
Joined Sep 2008

Sep 11, 2014 17:43 |  #81

Argh... as many have mentioned, 7Dii looks to be somewhat feature rich but sensor poor. If true, this could be my biggest disappoint in my sizable collection of gears since 2009 when I bought my original 7D. Over the last 5 years, sensor technology has advanced so much that even 4/3 sensors have out performed the latest Canon's APS-C sensors.

Hell... even Apple's iphone 6 is touting how good their new camera is.

"Yesterday is history. Tomorrow is a mystery. Today is a gift. That’s why its called the present” - Kung Fu Panda
EmaginePixel.com website (external link) ----- SportsShooter profile (external link) ----- Facebook page (external link)

absolutic
Goldmember
1,228 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Oct 2008

Sep 11, 2014 17:45 |  #82

andrikos wrote in post #17148490 (external link)
Not sure if it's mentioned on the "confirmed" but, I would definitely like a 6D-like -3EV sensitive center focus point and USB3.

-3 is not enough, Sony A7s has -4. Lets get -5 :lol::lol:

my youtube https://www.youtube.co​m …b_confirmation=​1%5B%2Furl (external link)
Latest POTN feedback https://photography-on-the.net …=15934524&postc​ount=39869
https://photography-on-the.net …=16930253&postc​ount=43618

palad1n
Goldmember
1,769 posts
Gallery: 9 photos
Joined Jun 2013

Sep 11, 2014 17:47 |  #83

That´s really bad! it doesn´t have a sensor tech from Hubble space telescope as Canon promised! what a waste, i feel cheated waiting that long for miracle, it is almost as bad as that crappy toy 70D and not that much better than that old rusty 7D, my photography potencial is so limited now, how can i even take good photos, all my photos are ugly, noisy and certainly very soft! even instagram heavy filters will probably look very lame...
what´s the point taking pictures with less camera than D810 today.... life is over.
etc,etc,etc... ehm...

sigh... seriously... I think most people should expect that. There is currently very little space for improvement in sensor/noise ratio wise regarding crop cameras, i can´t imagine it could be any better on current tech, even 70D is very capable... 7DmkII will be probably even better than 70D. I remember huge difference between old 1dsmkII and 300D... the leap will never be the same without new sensor technology. Thanks god.

But no, that obsession with noise levels and IQ is still there, even if people need to look at 200% crops. People make fantasies about richer and more vivid colors, super extra sharpness... and Canon is super happy because that lust helps and pushes all users to buy new expensive cameras..

This aspect of photography is one of the worst - not trying to take wonderful pictures and precious moments, of course perfectly focused with amazing composition and colors, that´s why most people started with photography i believe.. everything just shrinked to technical obsession having top line teoretical IQ, which most people can´t reach, because they shoot jpegs, not print large or using super heavy postprocessing, which is destroying all resolved details.

When i bought 1DSmkII few months after my first DSLR 300D, i was hoping for easy personal improvement, because my pictures was super crappy... But i realized that my lack of skill is just thick ugly unremovable filter on top of my lens and without my effort, no equipment help me to improve my photos by huge margin... I sold my 1dsmkII, after years i bought 600D to start over.

This hysteria around 7DmkII release just confirmed my greatest fear...

7DmkII looks really magnificent and has exactly these features i was expecting from top line camera - super advanced AF system, which actually help capturing these super rare precious moments and very decent, almost top IQ.

Website (online) : www.lukaskrasa.com (external link)
Flickr : http://www.flickr.com/​photos/105393908@N03/ (external link)
Facebook page: https://www.facebook.c​om/lukaskrasaphoto/ (external link)
Instagram: https://instagram.com/​lukaskrasacom (external link)
Lukas

FoxTrot
115 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Jul 2005

Sep 11, 2014 17:50 as a reply to  @ post 17147869 |  #84

It says all metal body, but has GPS. Does this mean it will have a plastic/composite top piece?

6D and some gear
Flickr (external link)

NBEast
Goldmember
1,699 posts
Gallery: 11 photos
Joined Aug 2005

Sep 11, 2014 18:02 |  #85

Thorrulz wrote in post #17148782 (external link)
Yeah, Canon always prices their products geared towards the masses so I'm sure it will come in as cheap as possible.

Haha. Good one.

Gear List / Photos (external link)

gjl711
According to the lazy TF, My flatulence rates
55,371 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Sep 11, 2014 18:07 |  #86

palad1n wrote in post #17148809 (external link)
That´s really bad! it doesn´t have a sensor tech from Hubble space telescope as Canon promised! what a waste, i feel cheated waiting that long for miracle, it is almost as bad as that crappy toy 70D and not that much better than that old rusty 7D, my photography potencial is so limited now, how can i even take good photos, all my photos are ugly, noisy and certainly very soft! even instagram heavy filters will probably look very lame...
what´s the point taking pictures with less camera than D810 today.... life is over.
etc,etc,etc... ehm...

sigh... seriously... I think most people should expect that. There is currently very little space for improvement in sensor/noise ratio wise regarding crop cameras, i can´t imagine it could be any better on current tech, even 70D is very capable... 7DmkII will be probably even better than 70D. I remember huge difference between old 1dsmkII and 300D... the leap will never be the same without new sensor technology. Thanks god.

But no, that obsession with noise levels and IQ is still there, even if people need to look at 200% crops. People make fantasies about richer and more vivid colors, super extra sharpness... and Canon is super happy because that lust helps and pushes all users to buy new expensive cameras..

This aspect of photography is one of the worst - not trying to take wonderful pictures and precious moments, of course perfectly focused with amazing composition and colors, that´s why most people started with photography i believe.. everything just shrinked to technical obsession having top line teoretical IQ, which most people can´t reach, because they shoot jpegs, not print large or using super heavy postprocessing, which is destroying all resolved details.

When i bought 1DSmkII few months after my first DSLR 300D, i was hoping for easy personal improvement, because my pictures was super crappy... But i realized that my lack of skill is just thick ugly unremovable filter on top of my lens and without my effort, no equipment help me to improve my photos by huge margin... I sold my 1dsmkII, after years i bought 600D to start over.

This hysteria around 7DmkII release just confirmed my greatest fear...

7DmkII looks really magnificent and has exactly these features i was expecting from top line camera - super advanced AF system, which actually help capturing these super rare precious moments and very decent, almost top IQ.

The trouble with this whole post is that you totally disregard whats happening in the rest of the industry.

Not sure why, but call me JJ.
I used to hate math but then I realised decimals have a point.
::Flickr:: (external link)
::Gear::

EmaginePixel
Goldmember
1,944 posts
Joined Sep 2008

Sep 11, 2014 18:22 |  #87

palad1n wrote in post #17148809 (external link)

Oh please... give us some credit. Just last week I shot my 1DX and my 7D alternating shots depending on the focal length during a softball tournament. Even at ISO 400 in broad daylight, the difference in quality of the image was significant. If a sporting event was indoors, forgetaboutit. I know it's not a a fair comparison but it's fair that we hope the gap can be much closer.

"Yesterday is history. Tomorrow is a mystery. Today is a gift. That’s why its called the present” - Kung Fu Panda
EmaginePixel.com website (external link) ----- SportsShooter profile (external link) ----- Facebook page (external link)

patrol50
416 posts
Gallery: 11 photos
Joined Apr 2014

Sep 11, 2014 22:03 as a reply to  @ post 17147869 |  #88

the "confimed specs" for the canon 7 d mark 11 on CR are looking very under whelming to me - a 20 .2 sensor is certainly a very small upgrade and ok a better af is good but its af now is pretty good on the 7 d mark 1 - if it afs at f 8 that would be handy but not enough to get me to buy one unless it says close to the $1K - $1.5 K fig which appears unlikely - its all looking a bit ho hum canon unless it comes out as a 1.3 /1.4 crop aka the previous 1d3 which will give it a jump up and maybe reignit some interest however the efs lenses may not suit
cheers rob

C:- 7D Mk11 ; 7Dc ; 600D & SX10 IS / L:- EFS 10-22 f3.5-4.5 USM ; 55-250 f4-5.6 IS 11; 18 -200 f3.5-5.6 IS ; & EF 16- 35 f4 L IS USM , 24-105 f4 L IS USM; 70-200 f4 L IS USM; 100-400 f4.5-5.6 L IS 1 USM (V1 and V11); + C 1.4 Ext Mk3 & Tam 150 - 600 f5-6.3 DI VC USD.

davesrose
Title Fairy still hasn't visited me!
3,800 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Sep 11, 2014 22:23 |  #89

patrol50 wrote in post #17149227 (external link)
- its all looking a bit ho hum canon unless it comes out as a 1.3 /1.4 crop aka the previous 1d3 which will give it a jump up and maybe reignit some interest however the efs lenses may not suit
cheers rob

Why would having a 1.3x sensor vs 1.6 change things?? I highly doubt the 7DmkII is going to be 1.3x. I've now seen a few postings that stated it would be nice if Canon introduced another 1.3x camera...but that seems very improbable. The sensor specs for the 7DmkII seem pretty good for a smaller sensor: decent ISO for a crop/ dual AF. Canon will keep it at the same tier as the 7D: the most high end crop camera. In the 1D series, there was the 1D vs 1Ds. One had slightly smaller sensor to get faster frame rate and shutter lag for sports, the other had full frame for higher resolution. Canon seems to have decisively merged the two into the 1DX series: slightly lower resolution FF that's just as fast for sports. To make a 7D a 1.3 sensor means it no longer supports EF-S: just seems improbable from a marketing standpoint.

Canon 5D mk IV
EF 135mm 2.0L, EF 70-200mm 2.8L IS II, EF 24-70 2.8L II, EF 50mm 1.4, EF 100mm 2.8L Macro, EF 16-35mm 4L IS, Sigma 150-600mm C, 580EX, 600EX-RT, MeFoto Globetrotter tripod, grips, Black Rapid RS-7, CAMS plate and strap system, Lowepro Flipside 500 AW, and a few other things...
smugmug (external link)

someone0
436 posts
Joined Jul 2014

Sep 11, 2014 22:33 |  #90

davesrose wrote in post #17149265 (external link)
Why would having a 1.3x sensor vs 1.6 change things??

Aside from the obvious that one would take both EF and EF-S lens and the other only take EF lens. Which to me make no difference as all my current bodies and lens are FF or at least APS-H. Say a 20MP APS-C would have more crammed pixels than 20MP APS-H. So, there would be a high ISO lower noise benefit to the 1.3x crop sensor. We may even be looking at 1 stop difference here.

sponsored links

39,492 views & 0 likes for this thread
Canon 7D MkII specs confirmed
FORUMS News & Rumors Camera Rumors and Predictions 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.