Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 08 Sep 2014 (Monday) 06:21
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Zeiss Otus 1.4/85

jdizzle
Darth Noink
69,419 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Sep 10, 2014 15:42 |  #46

Harm wrote in post #17146393 (external link)
preordered the 85? I never saw your shots with the 55!! Where are they?

zeiss lenses.... bw!

Too busy to even spend time here. All I do is work! Work! And more work! :lol:

sponsored links
rwong2k
Goldmember
1,759 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Aug 2004

Sep 10, 2014 17:57 |  #47

for my style of shooting, i'd really wish these zeiss otus lens came with AF, I had a few ZE lens before, but I do miss the AF on them :)

5DMK3 + Contax CY Lens
http://rw-photography.ca/ (external link)

http://www.facebook.co​m/RwPhotographyVancouv​er (external link)

light_pilgrim
922 posts
Gallery: 23 photos
Best ofs: 9
Joined Jan 2012

Sep 11, 2014 00:40 |  #48

MF lens = MF Body, AF Lens = AF Body. This is my learning. Yes, it is possible to find ultra creative ways to try and use MF lens on a typical AF body, but.........

Landscape, Architecture --> No Problem! I switch to MF anyways and use live view, on a tripod....with a cable release....

But for portrait, street.....I have experienced a huge level of stress with Zeiss 35 on 5D MKIII

www.lightpilgrim.com (external link) ||1x.com (external link) ||500px.com (external link)

David ­ Arbogast
Cream of the Crop
11,230 posts
Gallery: 36 photos
Joined Aug 2010

Sep 11, 2014 09:34 |  #49

light_pilgrim wrote in post #17147348 (external link)
MF lens = MF Body, AF Lens = AF Body. This is my learning. Yes, it is possible to find ultra creative ways to try and use MF lens on a typical AF body, but.........

Landscape, Architecture --> No Problem! I switch to MF anyways and use live view, on a tripod....with a cable release....

But for portrait, street.....I have experienced a huge level of stress with Zeiss 35 on 5D MKIII

The Sony a7 series are AF bodies, yet are brilliant cameras for MF lenses.

David | Flickr (external link)
Sony α7R II | CV 12mm, FE 12-24mm, Loxia 21mm, Loxia 35mm, CV 40mm, FE 50mm ZA, Loxia 85mm, Batis 85mm, Batis 135mm

light_pilgrim
922 posts
Joined Jan 2012

Sep 11, 2014 10:10 |  #50

David Arbogast wrote in post #17147912 (external link)

Need to try this one....never had any experience with Sony A7....really curious. Talking in general. Leica with MF lenses is perfect because this is how the system was designed. In case of Canon, it is the other way around, I have a feeling that the system is designed in a way to not use MF, 3rd party lenses.... and so with 5D MKIII MF with Zeiss lenses has been a nightmare. Not for Landscape though because you have time to precisely focus with Live Views and Zeiss is much-much better in MF.

www.lightpilgrim.com (external link) ||1x.com (external link) ||500px.com (external link)

vipergts831
Has the TF retired? Or just being utterly lazy?
43,921 posts
Gallery: 38 photos
Joined Apr 2009
Location: Taking better shots with an iPhone than MDJAK with a 1DX

Sep 11, 2014 10:26 |  #51

David Arbogast wrote in post #17147912 (external link)

This is my feeling as well. Its almost as if Sony thought about it making it an AF and MF camera.

-Omar- Flickr (external link) , 5px (external link)
Phaseone 645DF+...because only the best will make up for my lack of skills.
Beginners worry about gear, professionals worry about skill and masters worry about light

n1as
Goldmember
2,327 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Sep 11, 2014 22:17 |  #52

Here's a review of the lens.

The conclusion says:

This is a special lens, a lens to perform at the peak of what lens design is currently capable of. The price paid for this is size, weight and cost.
It delivers on the promise in bundles. There’s no question about that.

http://photographicwan​derings.com …85-review-sweet-colossus/ (external link)

- Keith
http://darwinphoto.zen​folio.com (external link)

ZoneV
Goldmember
1,643 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2010

Sep 12, 2014 00:30 |  #53

light_pilgrim wrote in post #17147957 (external link)
.. Talking in general. Leica with MF lenses is perfect because this is how the system was designed. In case of Canon, it is the other way around, I have a feeling that the system is designed in a way to not use MF, 3rd party lenses.... and so with 5D MKIII MF with Zeiss lenses has been a nightmare. Not for Landscape though because you have time to precisely focus with Live Views and Zeiss is much-much better in MF.

I am pretty happy with my EOS 5D cameras and manual lenses - without liveview, but the optimized focus screen.
One of my EOS 5D is even more optimized: I have replaced the mirror with a 100% reflecting mirror to get more viewfinder brightness - so I have mymanual focus optimized DSLR (external link) :-)

With both cameras I use my fast Canon FD 24mm/1.4L, Zeiss 35mm/1.4, Minolta Rokkor 58mm/1.2, Canon FD 85mm/1.2L.
I photograph mainly non-moving objects. But I have also much pleasure to use these lenses for my young children. Not every single picture is sharp, but with my few AF lenses it is much worse. I hate using AF for my children.
I have to add, that I don´t want to creat images where sharpness is bound to AF point position.

DIY-Homepage (external link) - Image Gallery (external link) - Gear List

Xyclopx
Goldmember
1,714 posts
Gallery: 33 photos
Best ofs: 6
Joined Jul 2008

Sep 12, 2014 00:54 |  #54

ZoneV wrote in post #17149394 (external link)
I am pretty happy with my EOS 5D cameras and manual lenses - without liveview, but the optimized focus screen.
One of my EOS 5D is even more optimized: I have replaced the mirror with a 100% reflecting mirror to get more viewfinder brightness - so I have mymanual focus optimized DSLR (external link) :-)

With both cameras I use my fast Canon FD 24mm/1.4L, Zeiss 35mm/1.4, Minolta Rokkor 58mm/1.2, Canon FD 85mm/1.2L.
I photograph mainly non-moving objects. But I have also much pleasure to use these lenses for my young children. Not every single picture is sharp, but with my few AF lenses it is much worse. I hate using AF for my children.
I have to add, that I don´t want to creat images where sharpness is bound to AF point position.

well, normally I would call one out on something like this cause my stereotyping inclinations usually would hint to me *gearhead* as opposed to *artist*... but I checked out your gallery and instead of finding hundreds of photos of kids surrounded in various states of bokeh, well, that's some beautiful stuff you did with relatively simplistic tools! i like that you have a whole gallery dedicated to lighting bokeh effects. very gj. :)

kinda makes me wanna take my a-1 out for a spin again.

Dean Chiang (external link) | Facebook (external link) | Blog (external link) | Gear (external link)
My Photos (external link)
Instagram @xyclopx (external link) @feetandeyes (external link) @gastramour (external link)

Charlie
Guess What! I'm Pregnant!
15,710 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Sep 12, 2014 01:01 |  #55

zonev, that's a fantastic set, but that damn FD24 1.4 is more expensive than the 24L mk 1, and probably the same design. It's turned into a collectors item at this point, same can be said about other FD L lenses. I want them, but they're so expensive and turning into collectors items!

Sony A7riii/A9 - FE 12-24/4 - FE 24-240 - CV 21/3.5 - FE 28/2 - FE 35/2.8 - FE 50/1.8 - FE 85/1.8 - EF 135/1.8 Art - F 600/5.6 - CZ 100-300 - Astro Rok 14/2.8 - Tamron 28-75/2.8 RXD, 70-200/2.8 VC

light_pilgrim
922 posts
Joined Jan 2012

Sep 12, 2014 01:02 |  #56

ZoneV wrote in post #17149394 (external link)

AF of 5D MKIII is very-very-very-very different to AF of 5D.

JanHartmann85
327 posts
Joined Feb 2014

Sep 12, 2014 05:37 |  #57

light_pilgrim wrote in post #17143825 (external link)
Maybe Leica is the way to go, then? 5D MKIII or II is still an AF body

Yesterday I tested my 1dx with 85 1.2L in Manual Focus Mode. Paired with the internal Focus Beep of the electronic Focus metering manual focussing is not as difficult as you described with the 5d. And the Focus Ring of the OTUS must be a lot smoother and more precise. all the images i shot with 85 in MF were perfectly focussed. Its just another kind to photograph and workflow...

My Gear: 1dx, Canon 24mm 1.4 L II, Canon 50mm 1.2L, Canon 85mm 1.2 L II, Canon 200mm 2L IS, Zeiss Otus 55mm 1.4 ZE, Zeiss Otus 85mm 1.4 ZE

Laudrup
217 posts
Joined May 2009

Sep 12, 2014 13:45 |  #58

I've got the Zeiss 55mm f/1.4 Otus on a D800 and this 85 does interest me but the rumoured wide angle Otus is what I would get next from Zeiss.

Xyclopx
Goldmember
1,714 posts
Gallery: 33 photos
Best ofs: 6
Joined Jul 2008

Sep 12, 2014 15:04 |  #59

JanHartmann85 wrote in post #17149600 (external link)
Yesterday I tested my 1dx with 85 1.2L in Manual Focus Mode. Paired with the internal Focus Beep of the electronic Focus metering manual focussing is not as difficult as you described with the 5d. And the Focus Ring of the OTUS must be a lot smoother and more precise. all the images i shot with 85 in MF were perfectly focussed. Its just another kind to photograph and workflow...

I think people's definitions of oof varies wildly on this forum. Not saying you are one such person but there are many who look at a zoomed out photo on their 21" monitor and say oh looks sharp enough must be in focus. Whereas some will zoom all the way to the eye 1:1 and look to see if the eye surface is exactly in focus or the eyelashes.

Out of maybe 200ish photos I tried manual focus I would say absolutely 0 were critically focused on the dot. Not saying they needed to be or I threw them out cause of that. But a normal person just isn't capable of that kind of precision with speed.

It just depends on your needs.

Dean Chiang (external link) | Facebook (external link) | Blog (external link) | Gear (external link)
My Photos (external link)
Instagram @xyclopx (external link) @feetandeyes (external link) @gastramour (external link)

JanHartmann85
327 posts
Joined Feb 2014

Sep 12, 2014 15:09 |  #60

Xyclopx wrote in post #17150510 (external link)
I think people's definitions of oof varies wildly on this forum. Not saying you are one such person but there are many who look at a zoomed out photo on their 21" monitor and say oh looks sharp enough must be in focus. Whereas some will zoom all the way to the eye 1:1 and look to see if the eye surface is exactly in focus or the eyelashes.

Out of maybe 200ish photos I tried manual focus I would say absolutely 0 were critically focused on the dot. Not saying they needed to be or I threw them out cause of that. But a normal person just isn't capable of that kind of precision with speed.

It just depends on your needs.

Definetly not. I am someone who looks at the whole picture and its character. i am not a pixel peeper. and when you work daily with someone you know their good and bad sides. so you can see the real differences. and these Zeiss have a very unique look which is very special to me. shaprness is only one aspect in a variety of different values.

My Gear: 1dx, Canon 24mm 1.4 L II, Canon 50mm 1.2L, Canon 85mm 1.2 L II, Canon 200mm 2L IS, Zeiss Otus 55mm 1.4 ZE, Zeiss Otus 85mm 1.4 ZE

sponsored links

13,048 views & 0 likes for this thread
Zeiss Otus 1.4/85
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.