Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Other Digital Cameras Fuji Digital Cameras 
Thread started 06 Jan 2013 (Sunday) 14:29
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

STICKY: Fuji Users Unite - Post your comments, questions and images here

jj_glos
Goldmember
1,938 posts
Gallery: 17 photos
Joined Nov 2009

Sep 11, 2014 16:39 |  #2326

I still don't know what to do with my Fuji setup. I just took a weeks worth of "days out" pictures into LR, and they're okay but nothing makes me think "nice". On one hand I knew a crop format wasn't going to match my FF DSLR, but on the other the only plus point is size and I don't know now that is enough for me now taking into account performance and IQ deficits. I don't find the 18-55 even close to the Canon 17-55 at all, even the 25-105 I prefer if I'm honest.

I just got hold of the 56mm and whilst IQ is nice, the performance sucks. In low light (where I'd use f1.2 a lot) it really struggles quite badly. Even in good light it's not that quick, I'm used to the Canon f1.8 which is quite fast I guess.

On paper the system is great, but in use it does frustrate me at times :(

sponsored links
PLLphotography
with the TF
5,211 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Apr 2009

Sep 11, 2014 16:41 |  #2327

Set your focus point to 2nd or 3rd smallest. Using the absolute smallest makes lenses hunt.

Phillip - phillipwardphotography​.com (external link) | Instagram (external link) | Donate to POTN

jj_glos
Goldmember
1,938 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Sep 11, 2014 16:54 |  #2328

PLLphotography wrote in post #17148720 (external link)
Set your focus point to 2nd or 3rd smallest. Using the absolute smallest makes lenses hunt.

Oh I know that, but when the focus point is to big to get what I want in focus at f1.2 (the eyes in general) then it makes me unhappy. I can use the camera/system within its limitations, I'm just struggling with accepting those at those!

To be fair, I knew this going in. I'm thinking the X-T3 or whatever is going to be a far more capable proposition. I'm just struggling more than I thought I would with "making do" until that day comes :)

I'm interested in seeing what the 7D2 brings, and perhaps I'll consider that alongside an A7 for a more rounded kit (for me).

PLLphotography
with the TF
5,211 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Sep 12, 2014 10:52 |  #2329

got my Lolumina mini soft release button for the X-T1 yesterday. I like the feel of it so much I just ordered a second button :lol:

Phillip - phillipwardphotography​.com (external link) | Instagram (external link) | Donate to POTN

EverydayGetaway
Cream of the Crop
10,653 posts
Gallery: 11 photos
Joined Oct 2012

Sep 12, 2014 12:12 |  #2330

PLLphotography wrote in post #17150110 (external link)
got my Lolumina mini soft release button for the X-T1 yesterday. I like the feel of it so much I just ordered a second button :lol:

Pro-tip; put some clear nail polish on the threads for the button before you thread it on and you'll be far less likely to lose it ;) I bought a really nice custom button only to lose it a week later... now I did the nail polish trick with a cheap $2 button and it's been on there for months :lol:

XF 18-55mm

IMAGE: https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3891/14823042102_c56d03bcfc_b.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/ozRX​Zq  (external link) DSCF5164.jpg (external link) by EverydayGetaway (external link), on Flickr

IMAGE: https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5593/14636863047_e7ca7180d9_b.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/oipK​rH  (external link) DSCF5167.jpg (external link) by EverydayGetaway (external link), on Flickr

IMAGE: https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3848/14636712070_6e1983044c_b.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/oioY​yE  (external link) DSCF5170.jpg (external link) by EverydayGetaway (external link), on Flickr

Fuji X-Pro2 // Fuji X-H1 // Fuji X-T1 // Fuji X-100T
flickr (external link) // Instagram (external link)www.LucasGPhoto.com (external link)

PLLphotography
with the TF
5,211 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Sep 12, 2014 12:13 |  #2331

this one actually has a base plate you attach with 3m adhesive. the base plate has a washer and screw that the button screws on since the X-T1 is devoid of threads of its own on the shutter button.

http://lolumina.com/ (external link)

jj_glos
Goldmember
1,938 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Sep 12, 2014 12:42 |  #2332

PLLphotography wrote in post #17150110 (external link)

Which size did you go for? I've been tempted to order the large green but with shipping it costs a bit too the UK.

PLLphotography
with the TF
5,211 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Sep 12, 2014 12:43 |  #2333

I got the mini.

EverydayGetaway
Cream of the Crop
10,653 posts
Joined Oct 2012

Sep 12, 2014 12:44 |  #2334

For what it's worth, this is the one I use, though when I got it it was definitely even cheaper

http://www.amazon.com …keywords=red+so​ft+release (external link)

Works and looks great ;)

flickr (external link) // Instagram (external link)www.LucasGPhoto.com (external link)

PLLphotography
with the TF
5,211 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Sep 12, 2014 12:49 |  #2335

yeah, those won't work with the X-T1

this is what the mini release looks like. Bought the green, and about an hour ago, purchased the red one lol.

Sorry for cell phone pic.

PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://i690.photobucke​t.com …40912_002_zps7d​71e28e.jpg (external link)

EverydayGetaway
Cream of the Crop
10,653 posts
Joined Oct 2012

Sep 12, 2014 12:51 |  #2336

PLLphotography wrote in post #17150325 (external link)
yeah, those won't work with the X-T1

this is what the mini release looks like.

Sorry for cell phone pic.

QUOTED IMAGE
IMAGE LINK: http://s690.photobucke​t.com …_002_zps7d71e28​e.jpg.html  (external link)

Oh, lame! I didn't realize that the X-T1 didn't have a threaded shutter button... why would they change that?

PLLphotography
with the TF
5,211 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Sep 12, 2014 12:53 |  #2337

you're asking what's already been asked many,...many.....MANY times lol.

you figure with the release of the silver graphite model they would have snuck it in.

Of course, they could do what Canon did when they released...was it the 7D? or 6D? with the dial lock? Anyone that wanted the dial lock on an existing camera could send it in with $100 and get it.

I would hope if Fuji did do that, they wouldn't charge $100...otherwise, this $10 soft release works just fine for me.

AZFiLM
155 posts
Joined Apr 2014

Sep 12, 2014 16:57 |  #2338

EverydayGetaway wrote in post #17150242 (external link)
Pro-tip; put some clear nail polish on the threads for the button before you thread it on and you'll be far less likely to lose it ;) I bought a really nice custom button only to lose it a week later... now I did the nail polish trick with a cheap $2 button and it's been on there for months :lol:

Thank you! I've been meaning to look up ways to help this, but I seem to forget, then remember duing shooting. At a wedding, we lost the cheap Amazon soft release button on the floor and I told my assistant/gf to just backtrack and see if she could get lucky. She came back with a big ol' smile and found it. Needle in a hay stack, but I'm glad she found it. Thanks for sharing lol.

EverydayGetaway
Cream of the Crop
10,653 posts
Joined Oct 2012

Sep 12, 2014 17:59 |  #2339

AZFiLM wrote in post #17150733 (external link)
Thank you! I've been meaning to look up ways to help this, but I seem to forget, then remember duing shooting. At a wedding, we lost the cheap Amazon soft release button on the floor and I told my assistant/gf to just backtrack and see if she could get lucky. She came back with a big ol' smile and found it. Needle in a hay stack, but I'm glad she found it. Thanks for sharing lol.

No problem ;)

I had a really nice brass lizard one I got from Amazon before and dropped it during a portrait session in a park... retraced my steps for like 15 mins and gave up... mainly sucks cause I had just gotten the stinking thing... :lol:

jocau
Goldmember
1,838 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Sep 13, 2014 08:31 |  #2340

*Sigh*

This is getting harder and harder. Everytime I think about the X-T1, I get excited and want to play with it (never touched one or seen one in real life). Everytime I think about the A7, I just think of a rather uninteresting tool that gets the job done (with superb image quality though thanks to the "mini Otus" 55mm F/1.8). As it stands now, it appears that it's going to be a heart/emotion (X-T1) vs brain (A7) decision.

550D | EF-S 18-55mm F/3.5-5.6 IS | EF 50mm F/1.8 II | EF 70-200mm F/4L IS | Speedlite 580EX II | LumoPro LP180 | Gitzo GT3541XLS | Arca-Swiss Monoball Z1 SP | ONA Bowery (black, non-leather) (external link)

sponsored links

2,165,632 views & 10,831 likes for this thread
Fuji Users Unite - Post your comments, questions and images here
FORUMS Other Digital Cameras Fuji Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.