Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS News & Rumors Camera Rumors and Predictions 
Thread started 07 Aug 2014 (Thursday) 17:32
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

My thoughts on the 7D mkII and Canon Rumors

kfreels
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
4,297 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Sep 12, 2014 18:25 |  #331

Geordie Amanda wrote in post #17150190 (external link)
Currently the 5DIII is about £2,300 here in the UK and I guess the 7DII will be around £1,500 at launch (give or take). I now own a Tamron 150-600mm (OK it's not an L lens in IQ) But instead of using a 7D with my 70-200mm f2.8 II and a 1.4TC, I could use the Tamron with a 5DIII.

Its just such a large investment for a hobbyist that it's hard to know what's best. I mainly shoot Sports involving water (and for some strange reason I love taking pictures of Gulls :D ) I'm sure the 7DII would be better for the things I do, but even if the 'keeper' rate goes up due to the improved AF, I probably still wont see a noticeable improvement in overall IQ. Of course I am assuming that the 7DII has the 70D sensor and we don't know that yet :D Perhaps I should wait for he 7DIII etc

Given the ex change rates and such I would exoect it to be closer to 1300 pounds (dont even have such a key on my laptop!)

I am serious....and don't call me Shirley.
Canon 7D and a bunch of other stuff

sponsored links
Geordie ­ Amanda
305 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Feb 2007

Sep 12, 2014 18:29 |  #332

kfreels wrote in post #17150858 (external link)
Given the ex change rates and such I would exoect it to be closer to 1300 pounds (dont even have such a key on my laptop!)

Now if that price has a 7DII with an improved sensor, then it's great value for money in my book :) An extra stop would be nice and a bit more DR for good measure :)

Funnily enough I just checked all my laptops and keyboards and I have both £ + $ on them all. Maybe computer peeps think us Brits are very money conscious :D

Call me Amanda please :)

Alwayslearning
58 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Sep 12, 2014 18:31 |  #333

Geordie Amanda wrote in post #17149938 (external link)
I agree and as I said, it may be that the 7DII is my personal Holy Grail :) But the question of the 5DIII over a crop sensor of any realistic ability, is one that has been in my mind for several months. It's just that my thoughts on this matter have been clarifying as of late. I love my 7D except for the noise issue at slightly higher ISO, but find whenever I see a shot that really pops in the lens threads, it is 9 times out of 10, form a FF. I'm beginning to think it might be time to bite the bullet regardless of the 7DII and it's abilities. Only a thought though :)

same question that I've been wondering. I'm looking to move up from my 350D and was waiting for the 7DII as that was my price range. I've now come into a small windfall and so the 5DIII is also a possibility. Given that I wouldn't be looking to upgrade again for a long time then the FF is a possibilty. Looks like I'll be having to wait for 7DII prices, reviews and files to help me decide :)

Peter
Canon 7D2 |, Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6L IS USM, Sigma 17-70mm f/2.8-4 DC Macro OS HSM, Canon Speedlite 430EXII

kfreels
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
4,297 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Sep 12, 2014 18:32 |  #334

Geordie Amanda wrote in post #17150862 (external link)
Now if that price has a 7DII with an improved sensor, then it's great value for money in my book :) An extra stop would be nice and a bit more DR for good measure :)

Funnily enough I just checked all my laptops and keyboards and I have both £ + $ on them all. Maybe computer peeps think us Brits are very money conscious :D

Yeah. Kind of odd. Not on my Dell or my fujitsu. What key is it on?

Geordie ­ Amanda
305 posts
Joined Feb 2007

Sep 12, 2014 19:01 |  #335

kfreels wrote in post #17150870 (external link)
Yeah. Kind of odd. Not on my Dell or my fujitsu. What key is it on?

They're on my numerical 3 and 4 keys. not sure about my Dell as it's currently parked up at my mums.

Call me Amanda please :)

ricsha
110 posts
Joined Jun 2014

Sep 12, 2014 19:06 |  #336

Just decided not to wait any longer for an improved 7D and ordered a 6D instead. I'm very happy with my 70D, and my old 40D, but wanted to upgrade to full-frame.

Mark0159
I say stupid things all the time
12,889 posts
Gallery: 41 photos
Joined Mar 2003

Sep 12, 2014 19:45 |  #337

dtufino wrote in post #17150370 (external link)
I'm convinced Canon is the Apple of Cameras, tiny little upgrades at a time and everyone gets excited and goes out and buys....

i'm hoping the 7D Has a 1d top plate as previously mentioned, but doubt it... will be a 7d body with the MKII symbol and a 70D sensor... Nice!

Really, you expected an upgrade to the 7D to close to a 1 series camera. Never ever going to happen. the 7D is top of the line APS-C sensor camera not a 1 series. Plus I don't see any advantage to have a 1 series top plate.

plus no one comes close to being like apple. the amount of buzz words they use is amazing. I have never heard Canon say that their cameras work like magic.

Singularity96 wrote in post #17150387 (external link)
+ 5d af

yea I guess you missed the part about 65 AF point all cross type on the 7Dmk2 and the 5D only having 9 AF points with one crosstype.

Don't hate the camera because it's not what your after. Canon has to make the camera appeal to everyone and just because they aren't listen to what the market is saying doesn't mean the camera isn't any good.

Mark
https://www.flickr.com​/photos/52782633@N04 (external link)
Canon EOS 6D | Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, EF 17-40mm f/4L USM, EF 50mm f/1.4 USM, EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM | Tamron SP 35mm F1.8 Di VC USD | Canon Speedlite 550EX -|- Film | Canon EOS 3 | Olympus OM2 | Zuiko 35mm f2

Brian_R
Goldmember
2,656 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Sep 12, 2014 20:19 |  #338

excellent write up in the OP.

with the new "official" specs on canonrumors.com the specs on paper definitely intrigue me as im currently in the market for a new camera for sports and have been looking hard at grabbing a 1DmkIV for the past 2 months. i look forward to real world tests of the 7D2 and renting one to decide if i go big or go home with what will definitely be a considerably more affordable APS-C flagship over an old generation 1series body. my 1DmkII which is now like 10 years old is still cranking out incredible quality compared to my 7D of equal-ish performance that is half the age.

Archibald
You must be quackers!
8,527 posts
Gallery: 386 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined May 2008

Sep 12, 2014 20:20 |  #339

Mark0159 wrote in post #17150980 (external link)
yea I guess you missed the part about 65 AF point all cross type on the 7Dmk2 and the 5D only having 9 AF points with one crosstype.

Do you guys really use all those AF points? I use just one 95% of the time. 65 or 165 AF points, makes no difference to me.

Sony RX10 IV, Canon 7D2, Canon 77D, assorted Canon lenses
C&C always welcome.
Picture editing OK
Donate to POTN here

vengence
Goldmember
2,103 posts
Joined Mar 2013

Sep 12, 2014 20:58 |  #340

ricsha wrote in post #17150924 (external link)
Just decided not to wait any longer for an improved 7D and ordered a 6D instead. I'm very happy with my 70D, and my old 40D, but wanted to upgrade to full-frame.

Why on earth would you possibly buy a camera on a friday when the 7DII is going to be announced on Monday. ??? Don't get me wrong, you may very well end up still going to the 6D on monday, but I don't see why you'd pick today to jump on it. There's not even a stunning deal on the 6D today. Ironically there is on the 70D, but that's another story.

vengence
Goldmember
2,103 posts
Joined Mar 2013

Sep 12, 2014 21:02 |  #341

Archibald wrote in post #17151055 (external link)
Do you guys really use all those AF points? I use just one 95% of the time. 65 or 165 AF points, makes no difference to me.

I wish I had wider AF point coverage more than denser AF point coverage most of the time. Now, if I live view on my 70D I can get any AF point I want, but still, I wouldn't mind a few more wider points in the view finder.

Mark0159
I say stupid things all the time
12,889 posts
Gallery: 41 photos
Joined Mar 2003

Sep 12, 2014 21:35 |  #342

those extra AF points can come in useful when your tracking. the camera is smart enough to know what your trying to track. if you use one AF point and your subject moves away from that AF point you will lose focus. However if you use more than one AF point the camera can keep tracking the subject as long as you keep the subject in the viewfinder.

Mark
https://www.flickr.com​/photos/52782633@N04 (external link)
Canon EOS 6D | Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, EF 17-40mm f/4L USM, EF 50mm f/1.4 USM, EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM | Tamron SP 35mm F1.8 Di VC USD | Canon Speedlite 550EX -|- Film | Canon EOS 3 | Olympus OM2 | Zuiko 35mm f2

kfreels
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
4,297 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Sep 12, 2014 23:09 |  #343

Also, once you get really good at using them, it's a lot faster than trying to focus and recompose while also being more accurate. Of course if Canon would bring out a new and improved version of Eye Control AF from the Eos 3, that would just be incredible.

Archibald
You must be quackers!
8,527 posts
Gallery: 386 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined May 2008

Sep 13, 2014 00:32 |  #344

kfreels wrote in post #17151271 (external link)
Also, once you get really good at using them, it's a lot faster than trying to focus and recompose while also being more accurate.

Hmm, maybe with practice and in situations where I know what subjects I will be facing. I often do bird photography and find it quick and effective to focus and recompose. It's simple and works well when using long lenses. I avoid elaborate settings because a new subject can appear quickly requiring different settings, and usually there is insufficient time to make the changes.

Of course if Canon would bring out a new and improved version of Eye Control AF from the Eos 3, that would just be incredible.

Yes, that would open up wonderful possibilities.

Sony RX10 IV, Canon 7D2, Canon 77D, assorted Canon lenses
C&C always welcome.
Picture editing OK
Donate to POTN here

rrblint
Listen! .... do you smell something?
22,239 posts
Gallery: 38 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2012

Sep 13, 2014 00:36 |  #345

kfreels wrote in post #17151271 (external link)
Also, once you get really good at using them, it's a lot faster than trying to focus and recompose while also being more accurate. Of course if Canon would bring out a new and improved version of Eye Control AF from the Eos 3, that would just be incredible.

Yes it would. I wouldn't want to negotiate 65 FPs without it.

Mark

sponsored links

68,473 views & 0 likes for this thread
My thoughts on the 7D mkII and Canon Rumors
FORUMS News & Rumors Camera Rumors and Predictions 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.