Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 07 Sep 2014 (Sunday) 15:31
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

The merits of the 50L, and why it's worth the $1000 premium

S.Horton
worship my useful and insightful comments
18,051 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Dec 2006

Sep 13, 2014 12:07 |  #61

It is just a bit like arguing with a Hyundai owner over an Audi's cost.

If you just want to go to Wawa, work, Wawa and home, you never even cared about what an Audi is.

Now, the more interesting threads are the Audi vs. BMW vs. Tesla. But even then, search quickly gives all information, and new posts are, truly diversions in life. And we all could use a good diversion from time-to-time.

That being said, check this out:
http://midnightblue.sm​ugmug.com …VFd7d/0/L/i-qDVFd7d-L.jpg (external link)

That graphic (C) Mikael Wulff and Anders Morgenthaler and you can Google them to see more cool things.

Sam - TF Says Ishmael
http://midnightblue.sm​ugmug.com (external link) 
Want your title changed?Dream On! (external link)

:cool:

sponsored links
panicatnabisco
968 posts
Gallery: 33 photos
Joined Apr 2012

Sep 13, 2014 12:18 |  #62

^ Pretty much this.

Same goes for the "why do people spend $200k on a Ferrari when you can't go over the speed limit?" crowd.

Also, you can replace that apple logo with the Android. Every new apple update brings in a barrage of android fanboys crying afoul and proving why their consumer electronic device is better than another consumer electronic device ;)

Canon 1DX | 6D | 16-35/2.8II | 24-70/2.8II | 50/1.8 | 70-200/2.8 IS II | 85/1.4 | 100/2.8 IS macro | 200mm f/2 | 400/2.8 IS II | 2xIII
Leica M8.2 | Noctilux 50 f/1 | Elmarit 90/2.8
afimages.net (external link) | Facebook (external link) | flickr (external link)

MatthewK
Goldmember
4,256 posts
Gallery: 800 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Apr 2009

Sep 13, 2014 12:33 |  #63

panicatnabisco wrote in post #17152068 (external link)
^ Pretty much this.

Same goes for the "why do people spend $200k on a Ferrari when you can't go over the speed limit?" crowd.

Also, you can replace that apple logo with the Android. Every new apple update brings in a barrage of android fanboys crying afoul and proving why their consumer electronic device is better than another consumer electronic device ;)

People get very wrapped up in the brand choices they make, because it's a reflection of their self worth. So when someone makes an off-comment about that person's brand choice, you are indirectly making that comment about their self worth. If you say that Ford sucks, then people who drive a Ford feel that their choice is somehow wrong, and you claiming their decision making is incompetent. They need to lash out in order to self-validate.

With money, it comes down to insecurity. If a person can't afford that Ferrari, they go into self-protect mode in order to shield their insecurity at not stacking up to those who can afford such an expensive car. And that goes hand in hand with trying to validate their purchase over that Ferrari owner's purchase (my modified Honda can beat that POS Ferrari 0-60, my Subaru does soooo much better in the snow, my minivan carries a ton more stuff than the Ferrari).

Whenever I hear fanboys/girls cry about their brand/choice being better, it instantly smacks of insecurity and an attempt to self-validate.

Canon/Nikon/Fuji

hiketheplanet
666 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined May 2013

Sep 13, 2014 13:54 as a reply to  @ MatthewK's post |  #64

Not sure how the thread digressed to this...

Guys/gals, you're stretching quite a bit here. Most of the people posting that they love the 50L, love it for its rendering abilities, the pictures they can make with it. Anyone comparing these lenses to cars or fruit or whatever is just plain being silly.

How many people have gone with the Sigma Art over the Canon L counterparts? Lots. And I respect their decision, and don't care if Canon, Nikon, Sigma, or Ford made their lens. They evaluated their decision, and made the right one for themselves. Leave it at that. There are wealthier people than me, who wouldn't purchase the 50L because they think it's crazy to drop that kind of money on a lens. Let's keep people's socioeconomic status out of the discussion. If a person can't afford a 50L it's a moot point, but it's imprudent to conclude that a Sigma Art owner can't afford a 50L; that's just nonsense.

EverydayGetaway
Cream of the Crop
10,639 posts
Gallery: 11 photos
Joined Oct 2012

Sep 13, 2014 16:41 |  #65

hiketheplanet wrote in post #17152217 (external link)

Guys/gals, you're stretching quite a bit here. Most of the people posting that they love the 50L, love it for its rendering abilities, the pictures they can make with it. Anyone comparing these lenses to cars or fruit or whatever is just plain being silly.

How many people have gone with the Sigma Art over the Canon L counterparts? Lots. And I respect their decision, and don't care if Canon, Nikon, Sigma, or Ford made their lens. They evaluated their decision, and made the right one for themselves. Leave it at that. There are wealthier people than me, who wouldn't purchase the 50L because they think it's crazy to drop that kind of money on a lens. Let's keep people's socioeconomic status out of the discussion. If a person can't afford a 50L it's a moot point, but it's imprudent to conclude that a Sigma Art owner can't afford a 50L; that's just nonsense.

100% this.

Fuji X-Pro2 // Fuji X-H1 // Fuji X-T1 // Fuji X-100T
flickr (external link) // Instagram (external link)www.LucasGPhoto.com (external link)

Reservoir ­ Dog
A Band Apart
3,279 posts
Gallery: 469 photos
Best ofs: 9
Joined Jan 2013

Sep 13, 2014 19:53 as a reply to  @ EverydayGetaway's post |  #66

CaliWalkabout wrote in post #17149420 (external link)
You know, this sort of tedious nonsense really sours the discourse on this board. I'm really not interested in impressing anyone with the sharpness of the upper right 2% of my photographs.

In case you didn't read the title of the thread > "The merits of the 50L, and why it's worth the $1000 premium"
Now that you do not want to "impress" anyone with your picture, i confirm it, you did it very well :rolleyes:
So asking to put a high resolution picture is not a "tedious nonsense that sours the discourse of this board" (thanks a lot S.Horton for the "without the nonsense part")
Happily that 95% of the 50L owners are not like you ! and i thank all of them for their good, nice and polite explanation about their love with this lens.

panicatnabisco wrote in post #17151322 (external link)
People are just jealous of it's fast aperture and our financial capability of buying a 50L. You really can't explain that to a non-50L owner :rolleyes:

Certainly the most presumptuous comment i red this year ...
BTW I'm L lenses owner too :rolleyes: if some are wonderful, they are not all "wonderful" or even just great for the price ... or not.

MatthewK wrote in post #17152096 (external link)
People get very wrapped up in the brand choices they make, because it's a reflection of their self worth. So when someone makes an off-comment about that person's brand choice, you are indirectly making that comment about their self worth. If you say that Ford sucks, then people who drive a Ford feel that their choice is somehow wrong, and you claiming their decision making is incompetent. They need to lash out in order to self-validate.

With money, it comes down to insecurity. If a person can't afford that Ferrari, they go into self-protect mode in order to shield their insecurity at not stacking up to those who can afford such an expensive car. And that goes hand in hand with trying to validate their purchase over that Ferrari owner's purchase (my modified Honda can beat that POS Ferrari 0-60, my Subaru does soooo much better in the snow, my minivan carries a ton more stuff than the Ferrari).

Whenever I hear fanboys/girls cry about their brand/choice being better, it instantly smacks of insecurity and an attempt to self-validate.

I'm not a fan of facebook, but if there was a "like" button on your comment i'll like and share ;)

hiketheplanet wrote in post #17152217 (external link)

This also, is an excellent comment !
Let the last sentence of this comment put us back on the track

And again i like to thanks all the 50L owners of this thread which have answer in a constructive way and help me to understand your passion(or not) with this lens (like Charlie, hiketheplanet, Talley, scobols, InfinitDivide, EverydayGetaway, jmai86, etc ..., sorry to not name all of you, you are quite a lot ;) )

150 Free online photos editing application (external link) / 100 Free Desktop Photo Editor Software (external link) / Free Photography eBooks (external link) / My photography blog (external link)

Mornnb
Goldmember
1,646 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Aug 2012

Sep 13, 2014 21:20 |  #67

The 50L is a relatively inexpensive 50mm... There are much more expensive and higher quality 50mm lenses out there. The $4000 Zeiss Otus which provides exceptional sharpness. The $4000 Leica Summilux 50mm 1.4 APSH which provides both extreme sharpness and bokeh on par with the 50L. And the $8000 Leica 50mm f2 APO which is sharper still. At the top of the range is the $11000 Leica 50mm f0.95 which though no sharper than the 50L, takes bokeh to a level beyond it.
The bargain people here though is Sigma, their 50mm Art performs comparable to the Zeiss Otus and the $8000 Leica APO in sharpness. However I prefer the older Sigma 50mm f1.4 EX because it's bokeh is smooth and well defined, high contrast and well saturated. I had to sell mine because the AF was unusable and missed half the time, but I loved the bokeh. Here's an example of the 50 EX look from the flickr pool.
https://www.flickr.com …45167/in/pool-664291@N24/ (external link)
https://www.flickr.com …866730/in/pool-664291@N24 (external link)

Canon 5D Mark III - Leica M240
EF 16-35mm F/4 IS L - EF 14mm f/2.8 L II - - EF 17mm TS-E L - EF 24-70mm f/2.8 L II - EF 70-200mm IS II f/2.8 L - Sigma 35mm f/1.4 Art - Sigma 85mm f/1.4 EX
Voigtlander 15mm III - 28mm Elmarit-M ASPH - 35mm f/1.4 Summilux-M FLE - 50mm f/1.4 Summilux-M ASPH
500px (external link)

S.Horton
worship my useful and insightful comments
18,051 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Dec 2006

Sep 13, 2014 23:33 |  #68

^^ See?

Sam - TF Says Ishmael
http://midnightblue.sm​ugmug.com (external link) 
Want your title changed?Dream On! (external link)

:cool:

panicatnabisco
968 posts
Gallery: 33 photos
Joined Apr 2012

Sep 14, 2014 02:05 |  #69

Reservoir Dog wrote in post #17152627 (external link)
Certainly the most presumptuous comment i red this year ...
BTW I'm L lenses owner too :rolleyes: if some are wonderful, they are not all "wonderful" or even just great for the price ... or not.
)

More than you can afford pal*

*fast and furious reference. Just in case anyone missed the sarcasm

Canon 1DX | 6D | 16-35/2.8II | 24-70/2.8II | 50/1.8 | 70-200/2.8 IS II | 85/1.4 | 100/2.8 IS macro | 200mm f/2 | 400/2.8 IS II | 2xIII
Leica M8.2 | Noctilux 50 f/1 | Elmarit 90/2.8
afimages.net (external link) | Facebook (external link) | flickr (external link)

FEChariot
Goldmember
4,423 posts
Gallery: 13 photos
Joined Sep 2011

Sep 14, 2014 02:51 |  #70

MatthewK wrote in post #17152096 (external link)

I can't afford a Ferrari, but I would love one and envy those with them. However if I could accutly afford a Ferrari, I think I would hire and Engineer to reverse engineer the Zeiss Otis 50 so it could have auto focus.

Canon 7D/350D, Σ17-50/2.8 OS, 18-55IS, 24-105/4 L IS, Σ30/1.4 EX, 50/1.8, C50/1.4, 55-250IS, 60/2.8, 70-200/4 L IS, 85/1.8, 100/2.8 IS L, 135/2 L 580EX II, 430EX II * 2, 270EX II.

InfiniteDivide
"I wish to be spared"
2,844 posts
Gallery: 265 photos
Joined Dec 2013

Sep 14, 2014 08:04 |  #71

Mornnb wrote in post #17152725 (external link)
The $4000 Zeiss Otus. The $4000 Leica Summilux 50mm 1.4 APSH . And the $8000 Leica 50mm f2 APO. At the top of the range is the $11000 Leica 50mm f0.95 .

I was aware of every lens listed until the $11,000 f.95 option.
I had no idea this existed.

"Worst post ever!" -my once-potential future bank account balance. :D

James Patrus
6D | 16-35L F4 | 24L II | 50L | 100L | |  -> Website (external link) & Gallery (external link)
For Sale:Canon 16-35mm f4 IS l Do you enjoy Super Famicom games? (external link) PM me directly.

Charlie
Guess What! I'm Pregnant!
16,118 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Sep 14, 2014 09:02 |  #72

InfiniteDivide wrote in post #17153326 (external link)

There are cheaper non leica options. Speedmaster and hypercine 50mm for sony A7 cameras....

Sony A7riii/A9 - FE 12-24/4 - FE 24-240 - SY 24/2.8 - FE 28/2 - FE 35/2.8 - FE 50/1.8 - FE 85/1.8 - EF 135/1.8 Art - F 600/5.6 - CZ 100-300 - Astro Rok 14/2.8 - Tamron 17-28/2.8 - 28-75/2.8 RXD, 70-200/2.8 VC

Mornnb
Goldmember
1,646 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Aug 2012

Sep 14, 2014 09:42 |  #73

InfiniteDivide wrote in post #17153326 (external link)

How can I torture you more.
I know, watch the DigitalREV 50mm 0.95 Leica vs 50L video. ;)

https://www.youtube.co​m/watch?v=tWU8DpTo5kg (external link)

Charlie wrote in post #17153404 (external link)
There are cheaper non leica options. Speedmaster and hypercine 50mm for sony A7 cameras....

The SLR Magic Hyperprime is 'only' $3000 and is sharper than the 50mm 0.95 Leica. However it is designed for mirrorless cameras only, that is Leica M or Sony A7.

Canon 5D Mark III - Leica M240
EF 16-35mm F/4 IS L - EF 14mm f/2.8 L II - - EF 17mm TS-E L - EF 24-70mm f/2.8 L II - EF 70-200mm IS II f/2.8 L - Sigma 35mm f/1.4 Art - Sigma 85mm f/1.4 EX
Voigtlander 15mm III - 28mm Elmarit-M ASPH - 35mm f/1.4 Summilux-M FLE - 50mm f/1.4 Summilux-M ASPH
500px (external link)

InfiniteDivide
"I wish to be spared"
2,844 posts
Gallery: 265 photos
Joined Dec 2013

Sep 14, 2014 20:40 |  #74

Indeed!
6 months ago before getting my 50L f1.2 I was searching for faster options specifically for my 6D.

I was seriously considering the 50L f1.0 lens and the af was a bonus.
The Nikon 50 f1,2 was the cheapest MF option I found.
As far as options of f1.0 or f.95 lenses, for EOS, seemed non existent.
This lens me to mirrorless, and learning of the best options for the fastest production 50mm's.

I would love to try a 50mm f.95 on my 6D if anyone knows of one. MF is fine, and AF is not needed.

James Patrus
6D | 16-35L F4 | 24L II | 50L | 100L | |  -> Website (external link) & Gallery (external link)
For Sale:Canon 16-35mm f4 IS l Do you enjoy Super Famicom games? (external link) PM me directly.

MatthewK
Goldmember
4,256 posts
Gallery: 800 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Apr 2009

Sep 14, 2014 21:21 as a reply to  @ post 17149229 |  #75

I don't know why anyone would buy this lens... stupid focus shift :rolleyes:

PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://i105.photobucke​t.com …140913_32_zps34​af3c44.jpg (external link)

(j/k btw :p)

Canon/Nikon/Fuji

sponsored links

12,232 views & 0 likes for this thread
The merits of the 50L, and why it's worth the $1000 premium
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.