Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 13 Sep 2014 (Saturday) 05:44
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Contemplating an upgrade

slicendice
470 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Feb 2005

Sep 13, 2014 05:44 |  #1

OK, so I guess I'm probably one of about a billion people considering an upgrade!

Anyway, I currently have a 40D which has served me well and which I enjoy using. However, there are a couple of things which consistently annoy me about it:

1) it seems to miss focus sometimes even when focusing in good light and on very simple subjects (i.e. not moving). I had it the other day when I was taking pictures of people at a wedding (not as the official tog, I might add!) and there were a number of photos that would have been great, except the focus wasn't nailed. Really frustrating! It's not off by a mile and it doesn't do it all the time (so it's not a back/front focusing issue - although I've tested my lenses, just in case) but it would be great if it didn't happen so much. I know that pretty much all cameras will have the occasional "moment" when the focus doesn't quite happen, but it would be nice to minimise it.

2) The screen on the back can't really be used to check sharpness very well due to it's resolution (or lack of!). Couple this with the above issue, and it's a real annoyance.

I realise neither of these issues are particularly serious (given that I'm not a pro or anything) and that even if I upgraded and managed to avoid them again, it won't make me a better photographer - but it would be nice to have fewer pics that cause an "aarrghh" moment.

One of the main lenses I use is the Canon 17-55 2.8, so I'd probably want to stay with an APS-C sensor for the moment. I've been toying with the idea of a 70D which I believe has a much upgraded focusing system and a much better screen than the 40D - along with all the other upgrades...sensor, DIGIC 5, etc. (I've heard that some people have issues with the focusing but from what I can tell, that's not the norm). The other option would be a 7D, which I believe would probably be a similar kind of price point.

Any thoughts or recommendations...?

Thanks!

Ambition is a poor excuse for not having enough sense to be lazy

Canon EOS 40D, Canon 70-200 F4L, Canon 17-55 F2.8 IS, Tamron 28-75 F2.8, Canon 580EX
Cokin ND and ND Grad filters,
Lowepro Mini Trekker AW

sponsored links
Rad ­ Encarnacion
39 posts
Joined May 2014

Sep 13, 2014 06:20 |  #2

70D sounds about right for you. Still, no harm in waiting for Photokina announcements this coming week before making a final decision. If the 7D2 is released, you may be able to grab the 7D at an even lower price point, if AF is your overriding consideration (most everyone will recommend avoiding going over ISO 800, for example).

650D (T4i) | 18-135 STM | 85 1.8 | 600EX-RT | L-478D | QT600

palad1n
Goldmember
1,769 posts
Gallery: 9 photos
Joined Jun 2013

Sep 13, 2014 06:41 |  #3

Proper focusing is very important in photography (more important than anything else probably, especially with thin DOF), sometimes it can be really tricky to get perfectly focused shot, new camera can certainly help, especially those with advanced AF systems, but most of the time, it´s the photographer fault to get OOF shots. I know exactly how stressful these moments are, when very important moments are OOF:/

I would say 70D/7D is equally good choice.

Website (online) : www.lukaskrasa.com (external link)
Flickr : http://www.flickr.com/​photos/105393908@N03/ (external link)
Facebook page: https://www.facebook.c​om/lukaskrasaphoto/ (external link)
Instagram: https://instagram.com/​lukaskrasacom (external link)
Lukas

slicendice
THREAD ­ STARTER
470 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Sep 13, 2014 07:33 |  #4

Rad Encarnacion wrote in post #17151581 (external link)
70D sounds about right for you. Still, no harm in waiting for Photokina announcements this coming week before making a final decision. If the 7D2 is released, you may be able to grab the 7D at an even lower price point, if AF is your overriding consideration (most everyone will recommend avoiding going over ISO 800, for example).

That's a really good point - I'd forgotten that Photokina was so close at hand.

And a quick search reveals the 7D Mk 2 is a distinct possibility:
http://www.theverge.co​m …ks-out-ahead-of-photokina (external link)

Canon EOS 40D, Canon 70-200 F4L, Canon 17-55 F2.8 IS, Tamron 28-75 F2.8, Canon 580EX
Lowepro Mini Trekker AW

slicendice
THREAD ­ STARTER
470 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Sep 13, 2014 07:45 |  #5

palad1n wrote in post #17151601 (external link)
Proper focusing is very important in photography (more important than anything else probably, especially with thin DOF), sometimes it can be really tricky to get perfectly focused shot, new camera can certainly help, especially those with advanced AF systems, but most of the time, it´s the photographer fault to get OOF shots. I know exactly how stressful these moments are, when very important moments are OOF:/

I would say 70D/7D is equally good choice.

I did start off thinking that it must be something I'm doing wrong, or that I messed up in some way - and whilst that is undoubtedly not an uncommon occurrence (sadly! :rolleyes:), on the occasions when I'm using centre focus point on a stationary subject in good lighting and it still comes out OOF, I'm not sure what else I could have done.

User error though...it's been my life long companion so far and will probably continue to be for roughly as long as I'm still breathing :lol:

Given that they have different sensors, d'you know if there's any noticeable difference in high ISO performance between the 70D and the 7D?

Lowepro Mini Trekker AW

palad1n
Goldmember
1,769 posts
Gallery: 9 photos
Joined Jun 2013

Sep 13, 2014 08:51 |  #6

slicendice wrote in post #17151662 (external link)
I did start off thinking that it must be something I'm doing wrong, or that I messed up in some way - and whilst that is undoubtedly not an uncommon occurrence (sadly! :rolleyes:), on the occasions when I'm using centre focus point on a stationary subject in good lighting and it still comes out OOF, I'm not sure what else I could have done.

User error though...it's been my life long companion so far and will probably continue to be for roughly as long as I'm still breathing :lol:

Given that they have different sensors, d'you know if there's any noticeable difference in high ISO performance between the 70D and the 7D?

actually, that is a different story. If you are using center point on a stationary subject in good lighting and the picture is still OOF, that could be caused by lens or body itself. Sometimes there are compatiblity issues with certain lens/body combos like 70D and Sigma 18-35 f/1.8.
70D has advanced MFA calibration feature, so you can calibrate lens to be sharp as possible.

With thin DOF, it is really important to be careful about where you are focusing, with 200mm f/2.8 for example and from very close distance, if you focus on nose instead of eyes, eyes will be completely OOF.

Website (online) : www.lukaskrasa.com (external link)
Flickr : http://www.flickr.com/​photos/105393908@N03/ (external link)
Facebook page: https://www.facebook.c​om/lukaskrasaphoto/ (external link)
Instagram: https://instagram.com/​lukaskrasacom (external link)
Lukas

melcat
Goldmember
1,122 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Sep 13, 2014 09:18 |  #7

I do have a cheaper suggestion for you: install a precision focussing screen (name usually ends in -S for Canon). Then it will be more obvious when the camera has missed focus. That will help you see what's going on, and also alert you to shoot again.

When I got my 5D (the original one) it was my first autofocus camera and I had real trouble seeing what was going on until I put that screen in. The -S screens are usually recommended for fast lenses, but I found it instantly solved my problems with misfocuses on my f/4 zoom. It turned out that (i) the AF target in the viewfinder is larger than the one on the actual sensor, and (ii) it wasn't even centred on the AF sensor. It wasn't me! The sensor was actually looking somewhere else, but there I couldn't tell that when shooting with Canon's stock screen.

I think the original 5D and the 40D have similar finders and AF systems, so this may be helpful to you. The only thing is, these -S screens do make the finder darker.

Changing the body for a more expensive one did make the problem go right away, precision screen or not.

HappySnapper90
Cream of the Crop
5,145 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Sep 13, 2014 18:44 |  #8

slicendice wrote in post #17151547 (external link)
OK, so I guess I'm probably one of about a billion people considering an upgrade!

Any thoughts or recommendations...?

Thanks!

You mean a new camera, right? You can't upgrade a camera (upgrade is adding to an existing item)

slicendice
THREAD ­ STARTER
470 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Sep 14, 2014 03:45 |  #9

HappySnapper90 wrote in post #17152565 (external link)
You mean a new camera, right? You can't upgrade a camera (upgrade is adding to an existing item)

No, I do mean upgrade...I want to rip the sensor out my 40D and replace it with a FF one. And at the same time I'm going to swap the Digic 3 for the new Digic 6, which should make it a whole lot faster...it'll really test my soldering skills but I'm up for the challenge.

J/k :lol:

I do, of course, mean a new camera. Apologies for my rudimentary grammatical aberration! I shall now crawl off into a dark corner with a dictionary to do penance.

Lowepro Mini Trekker AW

jimeuph1
215 posts
Joined Jul 2014

Sep 14, 2014 05:02 |  #10

70d can happily shoot 6400 and print to 8 X 12. Depending in subject it might need a tiny amount of cleaning in post.

I have a 600d which is the same sensor as the 7d, up to 3200 before it needs a bit of cleaning, but I shoot at 6400 on it but would not print larger than 6X4. The deterioration between 3200 and 6400 is quite significant, not unlike the difference between 6400 and 12800 on the 70d.

That is the Raw files anyways, I think you can get an extra stop with JPG but then the smoothing is very aggressive.

Auto focus on the 70d and 7d are the same, but the build quality and weather proofing is higher on the 7d.

My 70d eats memory cards for breakfast that extra 2 megapixels each shot soon adds up, god knows what the 36mp Nylon shooters are spending on hard drives!

From your current set up it is a 2 stop improvement for low light and twice as much detail. Ergonomically the joystick for focus spots might be missed if you get a 70d.

Two ­ Hot ­ Shoes
Goldmember
3,304 posts
Gallery: 341 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Apr 2014

Sep 14, 2014 05:58 |  #11

The 70D has it's AF point selection on the dial, it's different to the one on the 7D as it also has the 8 way joystick acton (as well as spin) built in. A little bit more awkward to use but not much. If you ever do live view shooting the 70D is fast and very accurate. Tracking is really good, just tap the subject on the screen and it will do a great job of keeping up.

Fujifilm cameras and lenses.
Get 5% off Fuji from Kim ;) (external link)
Gear & Discounts (external link)Instagram (external link)Blog (external link)
Coffee & Fujis (external link)YouTube (external link)

tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Gallery: 60 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Sep 14, 2014 06:22 |  #12

Do you have your 40D set to a single focus point? If you are shooting in an "Auto" mode then your focus could be all over the place!!

Tony
Two Canon cameras (5DC, 30D), three Canon lenses (24-105, 100-400, 100mm macro)
Tony Long Photos on PBase (external link)
Wildlife project pics here (external link), Biking Photog shoots here (external link), "Suburbia" project here (external link)! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics here (external link)

HappySnapper90
Cream of the Crop
5,145 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Sep 14, 2014 10:12 |  #13

jimeuph1 wrote in post #17153085 (external link)
70d can happily shoot 6400 and print to 8 X 12. Depending in subject it might need a tiny amount of cleaning in post.

I have a 600d which is the same sensor as the 7d, up to 3200 before it needs a bit of cleaning, but I shoot at 6400 on it but would not print larger than 6X4. The deterioration between 3200 and 6400 is quite significant, not unlike the difference between 6400 and 12800 on the 70d.

From your current set up it is a 2 stop improvement for low light and twice as much detail. Ergonomically the joystick for focus spots might be missed if you get a 70d.

all depends on your purpose. I've printed iso 12800 from my G15 at 4x6 and looks good. Family and friends photos? No iso is too high. I'll take photos over no photos any day!

slicendice
THREAD ­ STARTER
470 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Sep 15, 2014 08:19 |  #14

Two Hot Shoes wrote in post #17153157 (external link)
The 70D has it's AF point selection on the dial, it's different to the one on the 7D as it also has the 8 way joystick acton (as well as spin) built in. A little bit more awkward to use but not much. If you ever do live view shooting the 70D is fast and very accurate. Tracking is really good, just tap the subject on the screen and it will do a great job of keeping up.

Yes I've wondered about this - I always found the mini joystick on the 40D very easy to use and I was surprised when I found out they'd ditched it on the 70D. Guess I really need to try one in a shop and see how I get on with it.

Lowepro Mini Trekker AW

MalVeauX
"Looks rough and well used"
13,279 posts
Gallery: 1694 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Feb 2013

Sep 15, 2014 08:27 |  #15

Heya,

I would actually suggest you keep it simple, maybe look to a 60D, T4i/T5i. Half the cost compared to 70D. Why get a $1k camera when you'd far more benefit more glass? For that cost, you could get one of those cameras and a 70-200F4L to compliment that 17-55 F2.8, and have a more complete and robust kit.

Very best,

My Flickr (external link) :: My Astrobin (external link)

sponsored links

2,064 views & 0 likes for this thread
Contemplating an upgrade
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.