Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS News & Rumors Camera Rumors and Predictions 
Thread started 14 Sep 2014 (Sunday) 05:44
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

7D Mark II

TTuna ­ Eye
202 posts
Joined May 2011

Sep 14, 2014 10:26 |  #16

That escalated quickly...

6D, 60D, 100L, 24-105L, Sig 150-500, nifty 50, EF-S 60mm, Tam SP70-200 f/2.8 Di VC, Underwater gear T2i in a Watershot housing with Inon S2000 strobes.

sponsored links
Overread
Goldmember
2,218 posts
Gallery: 12 photos
Joined Mar 2010

Sep 14, 2014 10:58 |  #17

People just want the new shiny thing now ;)

Tools of the trade: Canon 400D, Canon 7D, Canon 70-200mm f2.8 IS L M2, Sigma 120-300mm f2.8 OS, Canon MPE 65mm f2.8 macro, Sigma 150mm f2.8 macro, Tamron 24-70mm f2.4, Sigma 70mm f2.8 macro, Sigma 8-16mm f4.5-5.6, Raynox DCR 250, loads of teleconverters and a flashy thingy too
My flickr (external link)

crbinson
614 posts
Joined Jul 2012

Sep 14, 2014 11:08 |  #18

dis·con·tin·ue - : to end (something)

...like this thread :razz:

My Flickr (external link) | My Gear List

elitejp
Goldmember
1,779 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Mar 2008

Sep 14, 2014 11:13 as a reply to  @ crbinson's post |  #19

Im so glad im not a moderator. Id be internet slapping all sorts of people.:lol:

6D; canon 85mm 1.8, Tamron 24-70mm VC, Canon 135L Canon 70-200L is ii

pwm2
"Sorry for being a noob"
8,626 posts
Joined May 2007

Sep 14, 2014 11:27 |  #20

GeoKras1989 wrote in post #17153411 (external link)
Please see the above comments about: 'reasonable'.

But most reasonable people knows that products will continue to be for sale long after they have been discontinued - unless there was a shortage of the product already before, or the products are only made/delivered to order.

The Amazon incident was most probably Amazon goofing when they received the last order date notice from Canon.

5DMk2 + BG-E6 | 40D + BG-E2N | 350D + BG-E3 + RC-1 | Elan 7E | Minolta Dimage 7U | (Gear thread)
10-22 | 16-35/2.8 L II | 20-35 | 24-105 L IS | 28-135 IS | 40/2.8 | 50/1.8 II | 70-200/2.8 L IS | 100/2.8 L IS | 100-400 L IS | Sigma 18-200DC
Speedlite 420EZ | Speedlite 580EX | EF 1.4x II | EF 2x II

Overread
Goldmember
2,218 posts
Gallery: 12 photos
Joined Mar 2010

Sep 14, 2014 12:06 |  #21

Well like it or not I can't recall Canon ever keeping an older model in production when they brought out a new model; and typically they'd run down production and stock in advance of a new launch. So it really hinges upon when the MII will land. My guess is that they are already shifting the production over, if not done so already.

The only reason I could see canon keeping the 7D in production was if the new MII hits a very different market sector price wise; although I'd expect them to use a new denomination for that rather than continue the same name in two different product lines.

Tools of the trade: Canon 400D, Canon 7D, Canon 70-200mm f2.8 IS L M2, Sigma 120-300mm f2.8 OS, Canon MPE 65mm f2.8 macro, Sigma 150mm f2.8 macro, Tamron 24-70mm f2.4, Sigma 70mm f2.8 macro, Sigma 8-16mm f4.5-5.6, Raynox DCR 250, loads of teleconverters and a flashy thingy too
My flickr (external link)

GeoKras1989
Goldmember
4,038 posts
Joined Jun 2014

Sep 14, 2014 13:13 |  #22
bannedPermanent ban

Overread wrote in post #17153668 (external link)
Well like it or not I can't recall Canon ever keeping an older model in production when they brought out a new model; and typically they'd run down production and stock in advance of a new launch. So it really hinges upon when the MII will land. My guess is that they are already shifting the production over, if not done so already.

The only reason I could see canon keeping the 7D in production was if the new MII hits a very different market sector price wise; although I'd expect them to use a new denomination for that rather than continue the same name in two different product lines.

The 5D2 was for sale new at Canon's web-site for about a year after the introduction of the 5D3. The 60D is still for sale new on Canon's web-site, 14 months after the introduction of the 70D. Canon, B&H, Amazon, and Adorama still have the 7D for sale new. The 7D2 is still a phantom. Since I claim to be a reasonable person, I must conclude, from the preponderance of evidence, that the 7D has been discontinued. The logic is impeccable.

WARNING: I often dispense advice in fields I know little about!

ythe1300
178 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Sep 14, 2014 19:53 |  #23

GeoKras1989 wrote in post #17153796 (external link)
The 5D2 was for sale new at Canon's web-site for about a year after the introduction of the 5D3. The 60D is still for sale new on Canon's web-site, 14 months after the introduction of the 70D. Canon, B&H, Amazon, and Adorama still have the 7D for sale new. The 7D2 is still a phantom. Since I claim to be a reasonable person, I must conclude, from the preponderance of evidence, that the 7D has been discontinued. The logic is impeccable.

1) Amazon is not proof of anything. <--- note the period

2) there is a rule, until people start receiving units it's vaporware.

3) No reputable news site has confirmed this, Canon rumors is the opposite of reputable.

4) even if they discontinue the 7D is does not mean that a mk2 is coming out See #2

10D and a sheet of cardboard with a pen hole in it.

GeoKras1989
Goldmember
4,038 posts
Joined Jun 2014

Sep 14, 2014 20:01 |  #24
bannedPermanent ban

ythe1300 wrote in post #17154420 (external link)
1) Amazon is not proof of anything. <--- note the period

2) there is a rule, until people start receiving units it's vaporware.

3) No reputable news site has confirmed this, Canon rumors is the opposite of reputable.

4) even if they discontinue the 7D is does not mean that a mk2 is coming out See #2

Perhaps you missed the sarcasm?

Reservoir ­ Dog
A Band Apart
3,368 posts
Gallery: 485 photos
Best ofs: 9
Joined Jan 2013

Sep 14, 2014 20:41 |  #25

pwm2 wrote in post #17153355 (external link)
Do you have facts or links to indicate that it hasn't been discontinued?

First at all : Do you have an official link from Canon stating they have discontinued the 7D ?
Unless this official link, or news, Canon is still producing 7D, and it's you and not GeoKras1989 that should prove your statement ... (and it's not a typo from amazon which made it "official")
just my 2 cents ;)

BTW it's not written discontinued
here >> http://www.usa.canon.c​om …ameras/slr_came​ras/eos_7d (external link)
B&H still selling it >> http://www.bhphotovide​o.com …PLHyqiG4sACFdR8​vQodJbkAiw (external link)

150 Free online photos editing application (external link) / 100 Free Desktop Photo Editor Software (external link) / Free Photography eBooks (external link) / My photography blog (external link)

GeoKras1989
Goldmember
4,038 posts
Joined Jun 2014

Sep 14, 2014 21:00 |  #26
bannedPermanent ban

Thanks for the backup RD. I know we've disagreed in the recent past. Much appreciated.

pwm2
"Sorry for being a noob"
8,626 posts
Joined May 2007

Sep 14, 2014 21:11 |  #27

Reservoir Dog wrote in post #17154493 (external link)
First at all : Do you have an official link from Canon stating they have discontinued the 7D ?

No I haven't. Which means that both direction "has been discontinued" and "has not been discontinued" is open for debate. So any "yes it has" or "no it hasn't" means someone is taking a step or two too far unless they have access to additional information. Which is the reason why I regularly post "do you have any source for that".

Unless this official link, or news, Canon is still producing 7D, and it's you and not GeoKras1989 that should prove your statement ... (and it's not a typo from amazon which made it "official")
just my 2 cents ;)

Let's rewrite that sentence: "Unless there is official news, Canon may still be producing the 7D."

I have no statement I need to prove, because I haven't made any claim to know if it is discontinued. And neither have I made any statement that it isn't discontinued. I have only noted that we have seen multiple indications that suggests that it might have been discontinued. And I have backed up that with links.

No, it's not written "discontinued". Which is why I have already noted that Canon hasn't officially discontinued it - and that would be a big reason why Amazon would have broken an NDA if they accidentally flagged "discontinued" after having received a "last-purchase" note from Canon.

And of course it's still sold. Products do continue to be sold even after having been discontinued. "Discontinue" isn't a magic button that the manufacturer can press and every produced, but unsold, item will suddenly disappear into void. "Discontinue" just means that the supply chain is broken. That the already produced but unsold units will continue to trickle out but no more units will be produced to fulfill further orders.

So there is a big difference between a product being discontinued, and being recalled. If recalled, then units on the store shelves will be pulled back.

An even more important thing to realize is that it is very common that products never get officially discontinued. The distributors (and sometimes shops) gets a note that they can't buy any more units. Either being given a last-purchase date (which means the factory production will adapt to order volumes up to that date) or that orders will only be honored until the stock runs out. But it's very common that no "discontinue" message is every sent out to the public.

So - how many official "discontinued" notices can you find from Canon for different products? When I wanted to buy a 300/2.8, it was flagged "not in stock - delivery date unknown" for quite a long time. Canon released information about an upcomming Mk II. Then the web shops started to show info about a 300/2.8 Mk II with unknown price. Then with a known price. But no "discontinued".

Here is the 300/2.8 Mk I on Amazon - seen as "discontinued"?
http://www.amazon.com …oto-Cameras/dp/B0000ALKBU (external link)

5DMk2 + BG-E6 | 40D + BG-E2N | 350D + BG-E3 + RC-1 | Elan 7E | Minolta Dimage 7U | (Gear thread)
10-22 | 16-35/2.8 L II | 20-35 | 24-105 L IS | 28-135 IS | 40/2.8 | 50/1.8 II | 70-200/2.8 L IS | 100/2.8 L IS | 100-400 L IS | Sigma 18-200DC
Speedlite 420EZ | Speedlite 580EX | EF 1.4x II | EF 2x II

GeoKras1989
Goldmember
4,038 posts
Joined Jun 2014

Sep 14, 2014 21:24 |  #28
bannedPermanent ban

Oh boy.

exactopposite
Mostly Lurking
18 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Sep 14, 2014 21:53 as a reply to  @ GeoKras1989's post |  #29

I'm a current 7d user and the spec list looks great to me. I'm looking forward to seeing more details, but this is promising as far as I'm concerned. All the talk of sensors seems way overblown in my estimation.

I use the 7d as an everything camera. I shoot weddings with it, urban landscapes, street photography, etc. Zone focus and the ability to switch zones with the joystick is fantastic for shooting events. The 7d does what I need it to do.

I may purchase a 7d2 next year (depending on the price) and have my 7d as a backup or use it as a second camera with a different lens for events. I need a second camera with the same layout so a 70d won't do. I think I am the target demographic for the 7d2 and I'm pretty excited about it. I have worked with 70d raw files, and if the sensor is like the 70d I'll be pleased.

Reservoir ­ Dog
A Band Apart
3,368 posts
Gallery: 485 photos
Best ofs: 9
Joined Jan 2013

Sep 14, 2014 22:13 |  #30

GeoKras1989 wrote in post #17154515 (external link)
Thanks for the backup RD. I know we've disagreed in the recent past. Much appreciated.

We can disagree-agree, the most important it's a constructive dialogue ;)

In all case you're very welcome.

150 Free online photos editing application (external link) / 100 Free Desktop Photo Editor Software (external link) / Free Photography eBooks (external link) / My photography blog (external link)

sponsored links

9,551 views & 0 likes for this thread
7D Mark II
FORUMS News & Rumors Camera Rumors and Predictions 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.