Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon G-series Digital Cameras 
Thread started 02 Sep 2014 (Tuesday) 08:03
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

G15 Manual Mode and ETTL Flash

borism
Goldmember
3,414 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Jul 2008

Sep 02, 2014 08:03 |  #1

I have a question for you guys.
I learned the hard way that the G15 does not have ETTL flash (the integrated pop up flash) exposure when used in Manual Mode. That is sad and highly reproachable from Canon IMO
Now, My question is if I buy one of these ETTL flashes, will the G15 expose the flash using ETTL automatically?

http://www.adorama.com​/CA270EX2U.html (external link)

http://www.adorama.com​/SURD2000CA.html (external link)

Thank you in advance, this forum is the best

CANON 6D - SONY A6000

sponsored links
borism
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,414 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Sep 08, 2014 09:44 |  #2

Anyone?
Maybe you have a Canon Flash and a G15, would you consider try a shot in Manual mode with the Flash mounted on ETTL see if that works?

Thanks!!

CANON 6D - SONY A6000

rpolitsr
5,975 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Jun 2005

Sep 08, 2014 12:28 |  #3

Some old info from the powershot Pro1 User Guide:
In M mode or when [Flash Adjust] is set to [Manual], the flash will fire with manual adjustments.

I used the Pro1 with the speedlite 420EX. In M mode the flash used to fire at full power. Manual aperture settings were required.

EDIT: The G15 User guide (English) has some external flash info in page 257.

rafael
Canon EOS Rebel XT, EF-S 18-55mm f3.5-5.6 II, EF 50mm f1.8 II, EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS STM, speedlite 430EX, basic filters set.
My photo galleries (external link)
Marketplace: PAYPAL GIFT NO LONGER ALLOWED IN POTN

borism
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,414 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Sep 09, 2014 14:16 |  #4

rpolitsr wrote in post #17142329 (external link)
Some old info from the powershot Pro1 User Guide:
In M mode or when [Flash Adjust] is set to [Manual], the flash will fire with manual adjustments.

I used the Pro1 with the speedlite 420EX. In M mode the flash used to fire at full power. Manual aperture settings were required.

EDIT: The G15 User guide (English) has some external flash info in page 257.

Thank you so much for your reply
I will take a look at the manual again see if I find something
Thanks

CANON 6D - SONY A6000

denncald
Goldmember
2,115 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Mar 2008

Sep 09, 2014 15:12 as a reply to  @ borism's post |  #5

You might be interested in an older post on another blog re: G1X (G series in general) about Manual mode and flashes;

"External Flash. I am extremely curious about external flash with the G1X. Flash is covered in Section 8; however, it does not satisfy my curiosity. One of my biggest complaints about the G series has been that its external flash capability appears to be intentionally crippled as compared to the Canon DSLR. Specifically, when a G series camera is placed in Manual exposure mode, the flash controls also become fully manual. Said a different way, there is no ETTL automatic flash control when a G series camera is in Manual exposure. Although I had high hopes that external flash on the G1X would be more like Canon DSLR, it more and more appears to be standard G series logic and controls for flash – in spite of the hopes raised by the wording on the external flash chart on page 204. I am afraid that the G1X does not meet my hopes for external flash."

http://lightdescriptio​n.blogspot.com …r-guide-notes-part-3.html (external link)

This has been an issue I believe for the newer versions of the G series.

Dennis

HappySnapper90
Cream of the Crop
5,145 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Sep 14, 2014 13:09 |  #6

No, an external flash on a powershot will only operate in manual exposure mode. No ETTL. Camera components are very different, P&S vs. SLR.

sponsored links

1,904 views & 0 likes for this thread
G15 Manual Mode and ETTL Flash
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon G-series Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.