Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 14 Sep 2014 (Sunday) 14:06
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Stepped Back a Bit...

CameraMan
Cream of the Crop
13,322 posts
Gallery: 26 photos
Joined Dec 2010

Sep 14, 2014 14:06 |  #1

OK. I am definitely in a lull here. I have no desire to go out and take photos at the moment. I've been in this lull for about 2 months. I know we all go through this but I am concerned with the length of time I am taking to take a break from photography.

Part of the reason (probably a really good reason) is I started a new job in July. I'm an electrician and I work 10 hour days 6 days per week. Sunday is my day to recuperate and the last thing I want to do is run out and take photos.

The other day I did a time lapse of clouds which was cool looking but to me it wasn't enough. Setting the camera on a tripod with a timer and letting it go for two and a half hours just wasn't "photography" to me.

I need to break out of this. I've thought about buying a smaller camera like the G15 or the G16 so that I can make it more possible for me to carry a camera around with me when I'm not out taking photos.

I've tried looking at others photos to try and get me motivated but that doesn't seem to be working either. Is there any kind of solution (other than quitting my job) that will get my camera back into my hands?

What do you do whenever you're in a lull like this?

Photographer (external link) | The Toys! | Facebook (external link) | Video (external link) | Flickr (external link)
Shampoo sounds like an unfortunate name for a hair product.
You're a ghost driving a meat-coated skeleton made from stardust, riding a rock, hurtling through space. Fear Nothing!

sponsored links
modestglock26
293 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Apr 2014

Sep 14, 2014 14:28 |  #2

I definitely can feel what you're going thru. I work 12 hour days with no breaks, 2 on, 2 off, 3 on...

The problem is that on my days off, I'm also "on call" and can't be more than 1.5 hours away from work. Here in Atlanta, 1.5 hours can't get you very far to explore new places especially with our amazing traffic. The one weekend per month that I'm off and not on call, I fly to see my daughter in south FL so I do 12 hours of work that Friday, 2hr drive to the airport, 2 hours flight, land, sleep, compact in as much fun as possibly Sat/Sun, fly back out, land sleep, then head right back in for work. I can't seem to find "me time" or time to get out to shoot anything I haven't already shot 10 times.

It'll happen when it needs to, and can't be forced. I had a G10 that I sold and switched over to a Lumix LX7 for my daily carry, just in case. I like it and enjoy having the ability to shoot a decent video as well. It won't help you find the right shot, but at least when you do find it you will be armed and ready to click away. I would definitely say get the smaller camera just because they are fun to use vs opting to use a cell phone. You might capture some great finds before you know it.

Sony A7ii and a Ricoh GR II with just about no skill

CameraMan
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
13,322 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Sep 14, 2014 14:37 |  #3

Yeah, I think a good small carrying camera would be fun to have around. I have a Powershot SD1200 IS but it just takes snapshots and it's slow and it's... blah, blah, blah. It's a nice camera to have around the house and grab it for the occasional times I have to take a photo right away. I mostly use it when I sell things on Craigslist or eBay. It has virtually no Bokeh which is perfect for "product" type photos for Craigslist. But as a creative tool... Nah.

Photographer (external link) | The Toys! | Facebook (external link) | Video (external link) | Flickr (external link)
You're a ghost driving a meat-coated skeleton made from stardust, riding a rock, hurtling through space. Fear Nothing!

modestglock26
293 posts
Joined Apr 2014

Sep 14, 2014 14:42 |  #4

I went with the LX7 because of the f/1.4 on it, and I cracked the LCD screen on my LX3 and felt like an upgrade was needed. It yields some fun results and is great for on the spot macro stuff.

Levina ­ de ­ Ruijter
I'm a bloody goody two-shoes!
17,976 posts
Gallery: 285 photos
Best ofs: 10
Joined Sep 2008

Sep 14, 2014 15:23 |  #5

I recognise this all too well, CameraMan. I've been shooting birds since January 2009 and this past year, I don't know, the drive seemed to suddenly be gone. And like you I was concerned.

I thought that maybe it was simply time for something else, for something new. So what I did was join the World Wide Photo Week challenge here on POTN. I'm trying out new things, experimenting, shooting things I never shot before and learning as I go along. And it's great. I have even dusted off my old Powershot SX100IS as it has a macro mode and I'm shooting cheerfully with it if I need to. And joining the thread has even rekindled my interest in birds again as I just went on a few trips to the countryside again and it felt so good that I plan to go again this week as the forecast is wonderful. Last time I was there was early June, and it is saying something that I didn't go all Summer...

I've read of other people in the same situation, that they started a 365 days or 52 weeks challenge, just to keep them shooting.

I don't know what to say about your long working days. I'm surprised to read that people in the USA have such long working days and work 6 days a week. That could not be possible here, not for an employee that is. A full time job here is anywhere between 32 and 40 hours a week and a working week is 5 days. Are there no laws regulating working hours in the USA? Is there no limit set?

Anyway, I just thought I would share what I did to get the passion going again. Hope it helps.

Levina
Please quote when responding to a post!!!
There is no such thing as ect. It's etc. (with period) from latin et cetera.
Colours are not complimentary but complementary.
My flickr (external link)

modestglock26
293 posts
Joined Apr 2014

Sep 14, 2014 15:33 |  #6

Levina de Ruijter wrote in post #17153992 (external link)
I recognise this all too well, CameraMan. I've been shooting birds since January 2009 and this past year, I don't know, the drive seemed to suddenly be gone. And like you I was concerned.

I thought that maybe it was simply time for something else, for something new. So what I did was join the World Wide Photo Week challenge here on POTN. I'm trying out new things, experimenting, shooting things I never shot before and learning as I go along. And it's great. I have even dusted off my old Powershot SX100IS as it has a macro mode and I'm shooting cheerfully with it if I need to. And joining the thread has even rekindled my interest in birds again as I just went on a few trips to the countryside again and it felt so good that I plan to go again this week as the forecast is wonderful. Last time I was there was early June, and it is saying something that I didn't go all Summer...

I've read of other people in the same situation, that they started a 365 days or 52 weeks challenge, just to keep them shooting.

I don't know what to say about your long working days. I'm surprised to read that people in the USA have such long working days and work 6 days a week. That could not be possible here, not for an employee that is. A full time job here is anywhere between 32 and 40 hours a week and a working week is 5 days. Are there no laws regulating working hours in the USA? Is there no limit set?

Anyway, I just thought I would share what I did to get the passion going again. Hope it helps.

All I can say about the labor laws is that they differ here state to state. I work 12hr days and I'm supposed to get a few 15 minute breaks here and there. I get none. I work for local government...so while they make the laws, they break them as well.

CameraMan
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
13,322 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Sep 14, 2014 16:04 |  #7

Levina de Ruijter wrote in post #17153992 (external link)

They aren't making me work 6 days per week. I accept the OT because a) I need the $$$ and b) I'm working through a temp agency and if I turn down OT then they might frown upon that. That being said, I could have worked today but that would have been 13 or 14 days without a day off. The asked me if I could and I said no because I have to get my pool ready for winter.

I'll look into that World Wide Photo Week challenge here. Maybe that will get me motivated. I am in on another challenge at pBase but haven't checked that site in weeks.

kf095
Cream of the Crop
6,428 posts
Gallery: 9 photos
Joined Dec 2009

Sep 14, 2014 19:10 as a reply to  @ CameraMan's post |  #8

10 hours per day, six days per week at work non related to photography.
Nothing wrong with it.
Take pictures on mobile phone if you see something interesting. Or on film.
I have small film camera with me all time.
And I have similar to yours avatar :cool:

Old Site (external link). M-E and ME blog (external link). Film Flickr (external link). my DigitaL and AnaLog Gear.

Levina ­ de ­ Ruijter
I'm a bloody goody two-shoes!
17,976 posts
Gallery: 285 photos
Best ofs: 10
Joined Sep 2008

Sep 15, 2014 05:24 |  #9

CameraMan wrote in post #17154063 (external link)
I'll look into that World Wide Photo Week challenge here. Maybe that will get me motivated. I am in on another challenge at pBase but haven't checked that site in weeks.

I didn't mean necessarily joining the WWPW thread here (although it would be great if you joined of course), but just doing something new, something to get you going again.

Levina
Please quote when responding to a post!!!
There is no such thing as ect. It's etc. (with period) from latin et cetera.
Colours are not complimentary but complementary.
My flickr (external link)

CameraMan
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
13,322 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Sep 16, 2014 05:09 |  #10

I think what I need is a little bit of extra time. Like I said, hopefully things will slow down at work so that I am working 40 hours instead of 60 - 70 hours per week. That's the variable that is throwing things out of whack for me I think.

watt100
Cream of the Crop
14,021 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Sep 17, 2014 04:29 |  #11

CameraMan wrote in post #17153870 (external link)
I'm an electrician and I work 10 hour days 6 days per week. Sunday is my day to recuperate and the last thing I want to do is run out and take photos.

I need to break out of this.

What do you do whenever you're in a lull like this?

that work schedule schedule doesn't leave a lot of "hobby" time !

CameraMan
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
13,322 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Sep 17, 2014 19:05 |  #12

True. I'm hoping for some ho hour weeks coming in the next couple months. We'll see what happens. We have this HUGE order from Caterpillar and it's got to be done before the end of the year.

CameraMan
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
13,322 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Oct 25, 2014 11:05 |  #13

I've made it a point to try and get out to do some Milkyway shots.

This was taken last Saturday. too many lights in the area and the cloud coverage was a little discouraging. Plus, no signs of the Milkyway.

IMAGE: https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3938/15570470082_0070fb03b0_o.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/pHUJ​hJ  (external link)
IMG_8825.jpg (external link) by CameraMan65 (external link), on Flickr

Last night was a nice clear night for star viewing. I went to a different location that was secluded and away from unnatural light.
IMAGE: https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3947/15436960459_7c525d5a85_o.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/pw7s​wF  (external link)
IMG_8834.jpg (external link) by CameraMan65 (external link), on Flickr

I am getting that itch again. I am bringing my camera with me to a public event today. Hope to get some good photos there.

HappySnapper90
Cream of the Crop
5,145 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Oct 25, 2014 21:50 |  #14

If I were working 60 hours a week I wouldn't be going "out" to take pics anywhere. If you want to take photos, say "in" and shoot family, macro, etc,

urbanfreestyle
I am a squirrel who loves rubbing bottles and I have Nuts in my drawers, too!
2,054 posts
Gallery: 9 photos
Joined Dec 2013

Oct 25, 2014 22:29 |  #15

I work 12 hr nights and weird shift patterns, but i always think 'i'll shoot tomorrow' Thankfully my wife makes me go out and shoot.... i found going back to my roots in street photrography always helps me feel better.

Facebook (external link)
Canon 1D Mk IV | Canon 50mm 1.8 Mk1 | Sigma 'Bigma' 50-500 | Fuji XE1 | Helios 44/m | 50mm 1.4 | Manfrotto 055CX PRO3 | 3LT Mohawk ballhead | Lubitel 2 med format camera |

sponsored links

2,297 views & 0 likes for this thread
Stepped Back a Bit...
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.