Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 14 Sep 2014 (Sunday) 12:23
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

IS unit in 70-200 2.8 mkI + heat

tedyun
56 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Sep 14, 2014 12:23 |  #1

Hi all,

I was wondering if anyone had this experience, and if you would recommend sending the lens in.

I am using a 70-200 f2.8L mk I

We've been going through a heat wave here in San Diego. I was outside photographing my son's soccer game right smack during the peak heat/sun. Suddenly, when I pushed the AF button on my camera, the lens started to make an audible hum. It is similar to when I am focusing in AI Servo with the IS turned on, but louder.

I think this is the IS unit because when I turned the switch off, it no longer made a sound.

AF was fine with the IS on (and humming) or off.

The lens was definitely warm from being in the sun (as was I!!!). I continued to shoot with the IS turned off.

When I got in the car, I had the air-conditioning full blast. When I checked the lens again after it reached ambient temp, it was fine. No hum.

Currently it is fine, but I'm not going to try to replicate the problem by going out into the sun.

Does this sound familiar to anyone? Should I bother sending it in? I'm afraid that they won't be able to replicate the problem, and I kind of need the lens over the next few months (soccer season).

Thanks in advance for any insight and advice

Ted

sponsored links
jimewall
Goldmember
1,871 posts
Joined May 2008

Sep 14, 2014 13:36 |  #2

I've never had (or at least never noticed) that problem before. Others may chime in, hopefully it is nothing.

It is a discontinued lens, and at some point Canon stops servicing discontinued lenses. I'm not sure if they are still servicing this lens still or not. You will want to check on that. (If needed) You may need to find a lens repair place other than Canon.

Thanks for Reading & Good Luck - Jim
GEAR

zarray
167 posts
Joined Oct 2010

Sep 14, 2014 20:26 as a reply to  @ jimewall's post |  #3

my 70-200 IS mk1 always made a hum whenever the IS was engaged :rolleyes:

5D Mark II | 5Dc |17-40 | 24-105 | 70-200 F2.8 IS | Sigma 50mm 1.4 | 580EX

bobbyz
Cream of the Crop
20,505 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Sep 14, 2014 21:18 |  #4

I bet canon L glass is used in lot more high temp places than san diego.

Fuji XT-1, 18-55mm
Sony A7rIV, , Tamron 28-200mm, Sigma 40mm f1.4 Art FE, Sony 85mm f1.8 FE, Sigma 105mm f1.4 Art FE
Fuji GFX50s, 23mm f4, 32-64mm, 45mm f2.8, 110mm f2, 120mm f4 macro
Canon 24mm TSE-II, 85mm f1.2 L II, 90mm TSE-II Macro, 300mm f2.8 IS I

tedyun
THREAD ­ STARTER
56 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Sep 14, 2014 21:54 |  #5

zarray wrote in post #17154470 (external link)
my 70-200 IS mk1 always made a hum whenever the IS was engaged :rolleyes:

Yes, I'm aware of that. The sound I'm describing sounds like the normal IS hum, but amplify it 10x. For example, I can hear the normal IS hum in a quiet room but not at, for example, a kids soccer game where kids, parents and coaches are constantly screaming at the top of their lungs. The sound I'm talking about was audible in that crowd.

Well thanks for the input all. I think after the soccer season is over, I'll have it checked out. For now, I'll hope by the next few weeks, this heat wave will subside and I won't have further problems.

Reservoir ­ Dog
A Band Apart
3,410 posts
Gallery: 486 photos
Best ofs: 9
Joined Jan 2013

Sep 14, 2014 23:14 |  #6

It might be a dilatation effect (not sure), but cold from your car with air conditioning (because i suppose you go to the soccer game with air conditioning in your car), and suddenly under the sun might dilate some part more quickly than others.
Next time try to put your lens in the back trunk of your car during the travel (place without air conditioning or less cold) and see if it do it again ;)

Patrice
150 Free online photos editing application (external link) / 100 Free Desktop Photo Editor Software (external link) / Free Photography eBooks (external link) / My photography blog (external link)

sponsored links

964 views & 0 likes for this thread
IS unit in 70-200 2.8 mkI + heat
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.