Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
Thread started 09 Sep 2014 (Tuesday) 23:04
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Mt. Rainier sunrise from Mt. Ararat

freestylee30
THREAD ­ STARTER
796 posts
Gallery: 164 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Jun 2007

Sep 13, 2014 21:28 |  #16

No hdr. I was trying to get a higher shutter speed because these were hand held without IS. Not sure how well I could have shot 1/30, but maybe? No light-weight tripod yet and my pack was already ~50 lbs, so I sacrificed the tripod...

Brandon | zenfolio (external link)| ♥ feedback ♥
Eternal Blue Forever Green
Image Editing OK

CANON 5DIV 50 f/1.8 85 f/1.8 135 f/2L 70-200 f/2.8L IS II
ROKINON 14 f/2.8 | TAMRON 15-30 f/2.8 VC 24-70 f/2.8 VC | SIGMA 35 f/1.4 Art |

sponsored links
HappySnapper90
Cream of the Crop
5,145 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Sep 13, 2014 22:15 |  #17

17 x 1.6=28 so 1/30 shutter speed is doable. No reason to use 2 stops higher ISO, degrading your IQ, because you don't understand shooting techniques. Image stabilization is meant for shutter speed that is likely to record camera shake. You had enough light to nor need IS and to be able to use ISO 100.

freestylee30
THREAD ­ STARTER
796 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Sep 14, 2014 18:35 |  #18

HappySnapper90 wrote in post #17152782 (external link)
17 x 1.6=28 so 1/30 shutter speed is doable. No reason to use 2 stops higher ISO, degrading your IQ, because you don't understand shooting techniques. Image stabilization is meant for shutter speed that is likely to record camera shake. You had enough light to nor need IS and to be able to use ISO 100.

1/30 is doable for you, I'm not as comfortable with it and had no IS nor a tripod. So I went with higher ISO to counter that. I don't understand shooting techniques so I don't think I can notice a little more noise either. Thanks though.

Image Editing OK

HappySnapper90
Cream of the Crop
5,145 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Sep 14, 2014 22:11 |  #19

freestylee30 wrote in post #17154274 (external link)
1/30 is doable for you, I'm not as comfortable with it and had no IS nor a tripod. So I went with higher ISO to counter that. I don't understand shooting techniques so I don't think I can notice a little more noise either. Thanks though.

Then you might want to look into photography books before you buy even more lenses. Knowledge will improve your photos more than more lenses.

freestylee30
THREAD ­ STARTER
796 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Sep 15, 2014 08:32 |  #20

Huh? Who said anything about buying lenses? Did we make it into the WTB/WTS forum somehow? I'm not looking to buy anything!

I appreciate you giving me advice that I could have probably shot this at 100 iso and although I'm no pro, I know my level of confidence in my own skill and therefore I opted to shoot higher to be on the safe side. Sorry you don't like that, but thanks for your concern...

PS - WTB UL tripod :cool: :lol:

Image Editing OK

hiketheplanet
660 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined May 2013

Sep 21, 2014 03:42 as a reply to  @ freestylee30's post |  #21

Kinda skimmed through this, and stumbled upon your last post here that you need a tripod. Well, duh! :P

Seriously though, if you want to do this type of photography, and you seem to have a natural knack for it, you're going to want, no NEED a good solid tripod. I understand hiking/backpacking and wanting to travel light, but if photography is also the goal of these endeavours, get a tripod.

Rant over. Nice shot mate.

davidfarina
Goldmember
3,357 posts
Gallery: 52 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2013

Sep 22, 2014 04:52 |  #22

HappySnapper90 wrote in post #17154611 (external link)
Then you might want to look into photography books before you buy even more lenses. Knowledge will improve your photos more than more lenses.

Cmon dude. Once again you say the OP has no clue. Maybe he cant hold the camera quite enough to manage 1/30s. So how you dare to say he has no clue about techniques?

Sony A7RII | Sony A7S
EF 40 | EF 70-300L | FD 35 Tilt-Shift
FE 16-35 | FE 28 | FE 90
CV 15 4.5 III | CV 40 1.4 MC | Summilux 50 ASPH
Website (external link) | 500px (external link)

Left ­ Handed ­ Brisket
Combating camera shame since 1977...
9,583 posts
Gallery: 12 photos
Joined Jun 2011

Sep 22, 2014 07:17 as a reply to  @ davidfarina's post |  #23

this thread is taking a turn for the weird. Remember that this is a critique sub forum and as such there is really no restriction on what aspect of photography is critiqued unless the OP specifically restricts it. Suggesting someone should seek more knowledge is not suggesting they have no clue. I first picked up a 35mm camera in 1980 and have been shooting in one form or another since then. I still seek new knowledge on the subject on an almost daily basis.

HappyShooter's suggestion of lower ISO and slower shutter speed is sound. And not just for noise reduction. Lower ISO will also yield a higher dynamic range that would give the shot more contrast straight out of camera.

freestyle, the formula for calculating minimum shutter speed with no IS is simple. With a full frame camera, it would be 1/focal length (focal length of 24mm = 1/24 shutter speed) for crop cameras it's 1/(focal length x 1.6). To keep it simple and build in a little buffer, just double your focal length and decide if you want a little more buffer or a little less.

I repeat that because it is so simple, and as a backpacker myself, i fully realize the need to cut weight. I have never carried a tripod on a true backpacking overnight trip, and I own a very light, compact one. Not only is the weight an issue, but tripods are generally too cumbersome for someone trying to cover X number of miles to get to the next campsite. Furthermore :D, in moments like this taking time to fiddle with setting one up might have made you miss the shot.

Great shot BTW. You have a good eye for composition which is something that often can't be learned. Keep putting yourself in the position to get a great shot, and keep learning and you'll get even more spectacular images.

PSA: The above post may contain sarcasm, reply at your own risk | Not in gear database: Auto Sears 50mm 2.0 / 3x CL-360, Nikon SB-28, SunPak auto 322 D, Minolta 20

Left ­ Handed ­ Brisket
9,583 posts
Joined Jun 2011

Sep 22, 2014 07:39 |  #24

freestylee30 wrote in post #17146743 (external link)
cmh512 I don't remember it being particularly windy that morning, so I don't think so. Honestly I think it was just the fact that I was probably focusing on Mount Rainier and also, I recently did some AFMA on my camera/lens and it was off a little, so???
!

As you shoot more you will get a feel for DOF, but using a calculator always comes in handy. Also, there's an app for that, i use Photo Pils. The most important thing to remember for shots like this is "Hyperfocal Distance" This rule says that there is a point where focusing further away does not gain any additional sharpness in the items furthest from the camera. At the following link I plugged in the 7d (since they don't add new cameras anymore) and your other settings and here are the results:

http://www.dofmaster.c​om/dofjs.html (external link)

Subject distance 	10 ft

Depth of field
Near limit 3.85 ft
Far limit Infinity
Total Infinite

In front of subject 6.1 ft
Behind subject Infinite

Hyperfocal distance 6.29 ft
Circle of confusion 0.019 mm

so if you focus at 10 feet you get everything from 3.85 feet to infinity in "acceptable focus".

PSA: The above post may contain sarcasm, reply at your own risk | Not in gear database: Auto Sears 50mm 2.0 / 3x CL-360, Nikon SB-28, SunPak auto 322 D, Minolta 20

davidfarina
Goldmember
3,357 posts
Gallery: 52 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2013

Sep 23, 2014 04:56 |  #25

hes gone wrote in post #17170558 (external link)
=he's gone;17170558]this thread is taking a turn for the weird. Remember that this is a critique sub forum and as such there is really no restriction on what aspect of photography is critiqued unless the OP specifically restricts it. Suggesting someone should seek more knowledge is not suggesting they have no clue. I first picked up a 35mm camera in 1980 and have been shooting in one form or another since then. I still seek new knowledge on the subject on an almost daily basis.

HappyShooter's suggestion of lower ISO and slower shutter speed is sound. And not just for noise reduction. Lower ISO will also yield a higher dynamic range that would give the shot more contrast straight out of camera.

freestyle, the formula for calculating minimum shutter speed with no IS is simple. With a full frame camera, it would be 1/focal length (focal length of 24mm = 1/24 shutter speed) for crop cameras it's 1/(focal length x 1.6). To keep it simple and build in a little buffer, just double your focal length and decide if you want a little more buffer or a little less.

I repeat that because it is so simple, and as a backpacker myself, i fully realize the need to cut weight. I have never carried a tripod on a true backpacking overnight trip, and I own a very light, compact one. Not only is the weight an issue, but tripods are generally too cumbersome for someone trying to cover X number of miles to get to the next campsite. Furthermore :D, in moments like this taking time to fiddle with setting one up might have made you miss the shot.

Great shot BTW. You have a good eye for composition which is something that often can't be learned. Keep putting yourself in the position to get a great shot, and keep learning and you'll get even more spectacular images.

I fully agree. But the OP clearly stated that he cant handle 1/30s so whats the point of telling him 3 times that its much better. Maybe im wrong but to me the OP clearly stated that he knows that 1/30 and ISO 100 wouldve been better, but what does a picture do at ISO 100 without grain when you have motion blur... That was my point

Sony A7RII | Sony A7S
EF 40 | EF 70-300L | FD 35 Tilt-Shift
FE 16-35 | FE 28 | FE 90
CV 15 4.5 III | CV 40 1.4 MC | Summilux 50 ASPH
Website (external link) | 500px (external link)

Left ­ Handed ­ Brisket
9,583 posts
Joined Jun 2011

Sep 23, 2014 07:06 as a reply to  @ davidfarina's post |  #26

I see that he said he isn't "comfortable" with it. I guess that's open to interpretation. Could be as you suggest and not phisiccly able to do it, or it could be that he does not have the experience to be comfortable with it. I am considering the latter to be the case.

freestylee30
THREAD ­ STARTER
796 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Sep 30, 2014 11:04 |  #27

Hi guys -

Sorry, I'm just now seeing these additional posts to my thread. Thank you for the replies with some good info and compliments!

hiketheplanet - I've got a pretty decent tripod, but it is like 8lbs... my pack was already ~50 lbs, so I sacrificed it! Good news though, I have a nice UL tripod on my Christmas list ;)

he's gone - thanks for the additional info re: minimum shutter speed and focus distance/dof. Some good info here that will definitely help me in the future.

I should clarify my "not comfortable with 1/30" statement... Based on the shooting I've done and the results I've seen I personally feel more comfortable losing some DR and IQ for a hopefully sharper image (is that even the right technical term?). Being as I don't know how often I'll get the opportunity to re-shoot a location like this, I was aiming for a better-safe-than-sorry scenario. It doesn't always work out that way, but the way I see it is that I shoot for myself and anyone who wants to appreciate the areas I hike or the other subjects I shoot. I'm not trying to make any money off photography or make any clients happy. Hopefully that makes sense.

Image Editing OK

ejenner
Goldmember
3,755 posts
Gallery: 73 photos
Joined Nov 2011

Oct 01, 2014 21:21 |  #28

freestylee30 wrote in post #17186049 (external link)
I should clarify my "not comfortable with 1/30" statement... Based on the shooting I've done and the results I've seen I personally feel more comfortable losing some DR and IQ for a hopefully sharper image (is that even the right technical term?). Being as I don't know how often I'll get the opportunity to re-shoot a location like this, I was aiming for a better-safe-than-sorry scenario. It doesn't always work out that way, but the way I see it is that I shoot for myself and anyone who wants to appreciate the areas I hike or the other subjects I shoot. I'm not trying to make any money off photography or make any clients happy. Hopefully that makes sense.

I was trying hard not to jump in on this, but personally I would not have shot it at 1/30s either. Probably would have opted for 1/60s in burst mode at ISO200. I find that at 1/fL I still stand a chance of getting a bad shot and the IQ difference between ISO100 and ISO200 isn't worth the risk.

Also even if not windy grass and stuff moves. 1/30s is taking an unnecessary risk IMHO just to get slightly better IQ.

So I vote you do the same thing again if in the same situation or maybe go 1/2*FL and let off a burst of 5-6 shots.

Edward Jenner
5DIV, M6, GX1 II, Sig15mm FE, 16-35 F4,TS-E 17, TS-E 24, M11-22, M18-150 ,24-105, T45 1.8VC, 70-200 f4 IS, 70-200 2.8 vII, Sig 85 1.4, 100L, 135L, 400DOII.
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/48305795@N03/ (external link)
https://www.facebook.c​om/edward.jenner.372/p​hotos (external link)

CoPhotoGuy
276 posts
Joined Feb 2013

Oct 05, 2014 21:27 |  #29

I think this is a pretty good shot and the sharpening of the mountain, if possible, would benefit it.

I may have also tried to get closer to the purple flowers and make them more prominent in the scene.

CoPhotoGuy
276 posts
Joined Feb 2013

Oct 05, 2014 21:29 |  #30

ejenner wrote in post #17189057 (external link)
So I vote you do the same thing again if in the same situation or maybe go 1/2*FL and let off a burst of 5-6 shots.

I vote you buy a tripod, then use whatever shutter speed you want :)

sponsored links

8,634 views & 5 likes for this thread
Mt. Rainier sunrise from Mt. Ararat
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.