Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 15 Sep 2014 (Monday) 09:41
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Dropped my 6D...

Photo123abc
236 posts
Joined Dec 2012

Sep 15, 2014 09:41 |  #1

So, I dropped my 6D to concrete today when I stumbled on a rock or something and camera went flying. :cry:

It seems to work fine, although lens (50mm f/1.8II) makes horrible noise when focusing. I dont really care about the lens because its so cheap so nevermind that one. On the body there is couple marks near shutter button and near hotshoe, and also the rubber grip came off a bit on the lower left corner. I think glue should fix that.

I cant hear anything rattle in the body, mirror is working fine. Tried all sorts of exposure times, apertures, ISO, ettl and flash work etc.

Everything works fine. Only thing I noticed was very very very tiny diffrence in shutter noise its bit louder on quiet mode, however extremely small diffrence, however this could be my imagination?

But should I send it to get checked? Is there a possible ticking time bomb if my camera operates normally now?

You are what you eat - I dont remember eating a photographer.

sponsored links
MalVeauX
"Looks rough and well used"
13,202 posts
Gallery: 1640 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Feb 2013

Sep 15, 2014 09:43 |  #2

Heya,

Get it checked if this is more than just a hobby.

If it's just a hobby/amateur, shoot till it stops. Don't worry about it.

Very best,

My Flickr (external link) :: My Astrobin (external link)

pkim1230
746 posts
Joined Apr 2011

Sep 15, 2014 09:48 |  #3

I would call Canon and tell them what happened and see how much it will cost to have it checked.
I'd get it checked if it doesn't cost too much. Maybe they will at least re-calibrate it or something.
btw, what kind of strap did you have?
I ordered a colorful neck strap to replace the ugly canon kit strap, and it was $3 shipped from China.
I also have a similar colorful strap that I bought in Korea in the streets many years ago, and replaced my Canon kit strap.
No problems with that one. The lack of leather on the neck strap actually makes it easier for me to wrap it around my hands and use the neckstrap like a hand grip.

Gear | 6D, 550D, 1000D IR Modified, Samyang 24mm f/1.4, Rokinon 14mm f/2.8, Canon 40mm f/2.8, Tamron 70-300mm VC f/4-5.6, iOptron SkyTracker

Photo123abc
THREAD ­ STARTER
236 posts
Joined Dec 2012

Sep 15, 2014 10:08 |  #4

I dont use neck strap. I just hate it because its in my way all the time.
I am photography student and dont have any immediate shoots for next two weeks because I mainly shoot for photostocks, but also bit for newsmagazines where breaking down isnt really an option.

But is there a possiblity that it will break in future because of this of should I see things happen already? Camera is working normaly for now, also tested if sensor alignment is out (shot brick wall wide open with 105mm f/2.8) cant see anything unusual. I need to go out shoot some stars tonight to see is there anything wrong on the corners.

eriet30
Goldmember
2,321 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jul 2011

Sep 15, 2014 10:16 as a reply to  @ Photo123abc's post |  #5

Mine fell 3 stories to concrete. Landed on the 17-40 which was destroyed. Eye cup came off, dial came off and strap holder was bent slightly. Sent to canon and they actually changed the back screen out although it worked fine.

It has been ok 8 mo down the road.

"Vision is the art of seeing that which is invisible"
http:// … flickr (external link) www.paulvanderveen.net (external link)

A9 / A7rII /A6000IR -CV10, Loxia 21, Tam 28-75, FE90, FE 100-400GM, Rok 8mm Fish
Legacy Glass: Canon FD 55 1.2 / Jupiter 9 85mm 1.4 / Viv S1 90 2.5 macro

Abu ­ Mahendra
368 posts
Joined Aug 2013

Sep 15, 2014 10:21 |  #6
bannedPermanent ban

Never dropped a camera. First thing, as a matter of habit, is to wrap the wrist lanyard around my wrist. This is the firsg thing I taught my 4 year-old when I handed him down my old IXUS. He's never dropped a camer either. Good habits.

pkim1230
746 posts
Joined Apr 2011

Sep 15, 2014 10:35 |  #7

Photo123abc wrote in post #17155598 (external link)
I dont use neck strap. I just hate it because its in my way all the time.
I am photography student and dont have any immediate shoots for next two weeks because I mainly shoot for photostocks, but also bit for newsmagazines where breaking down isnt really an option.

But is there a possiblity that it will break in future because of this of should I see things happen already? Camera is working normaly for now, also tested if sensor alignment is out (shot brick wall wide open with 105mm f/2.8) cant see anything unusual. I need to go out shoot some stars tonight to see is there anything wrong on the corners.

I think it will be alright. Just pretend it's minor scuffs from normal use and pretend like you never dropped it on concrete. Peace for your mind!
Also, you should consider getting hand grips. My neck straps are in my way all the time too.

Gear | 6D, 550D, 1000D IR Modified, Samyang 24mm f/1.4, Rokinon 14mm f/2.8, Canon 40mm f/2.8, Tamron 70-300mm VC f/4-5.6, iOptron SkyTracker

TheInfamousGreedo
Goldmember
1,631 posts
Joined Jun 2012

Sep 15, 2014 12:40 |  #8

On the strap note: I hate the neck strap and finally ordered the Black Rapid RS-7 and it's the best thing I did. I used it all weekend, carried my camera around for 4 hours Saturday and 3 yesterday and not once did it bother me.

TJ Simon (external link)
flickr (external link)
Instagram (external link)

eriet30
Goldmember
2,321 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jul 2011

Sep 15, 2014 12:42 |  #9

Abu Mahendra wrote in post #17155644 (external link)
Never dropped a camera. First thing, as a matter of habit, is to wrap the wrist lanyard around my wrist. This is the firsg thing I taught my 4 year-old when I handed him down my old IXUS. He's never dropped a camer either. Good habits.

I had my shoulder strap and hand strap on it. I had just slipped it off my neck to take a pic off the edge of a building and then was getting on a ladder both straps were in my hand but not wrapped and slipped through. So they are only as full proof as the fool using them in my book.

"Vision is the art of seeing that which is invisible"
http:// … flickr (external link) www.paulvanderveen.net (external link)

A9 / A7rII /A6000IR -CV10, Loxia 21, Tam 28-75, FE90, FE 100-400GM, Rok 8mm Fish
Legacy Glass: Canon FD 55 1.2 / Jupiter 9 85mm 1.4 / Viv S1 90 2.5 macro

Photo123abc
THREAD ­ STARTER
236 posts
Joined Dec 2012

Sep 16, 2014 04:23 as a reply to  @ eriet30's post |  #10

Tested it out last night, nifty fifty has something wrong with lens alignment.
Stars are blurred on 3 out of 4 corners, although center and only sharp corner is sharper than ever before. I think I should throw the lens on concrete again! :lol:

However sensor is ok and mirror also (thank god), cant see any diffrence with 14mm f/2.8 or 105mm f/2.8. Ive been shooting with it all day without any problems so I probably leave it at that.

Mornnb
Goldmember
1,646 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Aug 2012

Sep 16, 2014 05:40 |  #11

Photo123abc wrote in post #17157689 (external link)
Tested it out last night, nifty fifty has something wrong with lens alignment.
Stars are blurred on 3 out of 4 corners, although center and only sharp corner is sharper than ever before. I think I should throw the lens on concrete again! :lol:

However sensor is ok and mirror also (thank god), cant see any diffrence with 14mm f/2.8 or 105mm f/2.8. Ive been shooting with it all day without any problems so I probably leave it at that.

Don't worry these things are built like tanks... Drive a truck over it, shoot it, freeze it, put it on fire. And it keeps on working.
https://www.youtube.co​m/watch?v=RCT-YMgjm9k (external link)

The lenses don't though.

Canon 5D Mark III - Leica M240
EF 16-35mm F/4 IS L - EF 14mm f/2.8 L II - - EF 17mm TS-E L - EF 24-70mm f/2.8 L II - EF 70-200mm IS II f/2.8 L - Sigma 35mm f/1.4 Art - Sigma 85mm f/1.4 EX
Voigtlander 15mm III - 28mm Elmarit-M ASPH - 35mm f/1.4 Summilux-M FLE - 50mm f/1.4 Summilux-M ASPH
500px (external link)

frozenframe
Goldmember
1,636 posts
Gallery: 175 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Jun 2013

Sep 16, 2014 05:47 |  #12

Humm, 7DII just released and your 6D hits the pavement? :eek:

"Hey insurance man my camera took a nasty fall, need to replace it".
Insurance man: "Ok, let me know what you need".

Just picked up a neat 7DII.... :)

Coincidence? ;)

Just kidding...:lol:

Glad it's working ok for ya. :)

Ron
My Gear List

sponsored links

2,687 views & 0 likes for this thread
Dropped my 6D...
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.