Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
Thread started 15 Sep 2014 (Monday) 00:19
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

PEAK Design warning

steve67
167 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Dec 2012

Sep 15, 2014 00:19 |  #1

Apparently they are having problems with the clips coming lose. Here is an email I received today. I took mine off, even though it seemed secure until:rolleyes: they fix the problem.

Project Update #16: Slide/Clutch/AL Issues and Next Steps to Take
Posted by Peak Design ♥ Like
Hi everyone,

The PD team is converging on Cologne for Photokina, our industry's largest event. The excitement and enthusiasm we all have leading up to this event is much heightened by the fulfilling of this campaign during the course of the last week.

But....as some 50 of you have already alerted us to...there is a problem with some of the products we've been sending out. And so our focus and excitement for Photokina is unfortunately diverted, as figuring out the proper steps for getting ahead of this issue is now our main priority.

Before I get into the specifics, please know this: if you're one of the ones with the issue, we will never leave you high and dry. That's simply not how we operate. We are doing, and will continue doing everything we can to fix this problem for everybody. We consider it a requisite condition for the existence of our company, and the continued good will of our backers and customers.

THE ISSUE:

For a certain number of customers (50 and counting), the metal spring in the nylon Anchor Link housing (the connector at the end of all Peak Design straps) has been backing out of position, and subsequently popping out of place and disconnecting from the Anchor. Typically, this is happening during the engagement or disengagement of an Anchor. However, as of last night, we have discovered that it can happen during the use of the strap if the spring is "falsely" in place when the Anchor is disengaged. In these cases, camera drop is a very serious risk, which is what makes this such a serious issue.

We are in the business of carrying your cameras, not dropping them. I suspect we will not be in business if we cannot entirely contain and eliminate that risk, which is why it is our top priority.

HOW MANY FOLKS ARE AFFECTED?

We're not sure, and we need your help to know. To date, we've heard about the issue from 1% of the people who have received our gear. That number will likely climb though, as we make people aware of the potential issue and give them a chance to see for themselves.

Note that Leash and Cuff do not have this issue because they have slightly different (yet completely compatible) versions of the affected part. And our Capture clips and other accessories don't contain this part at all, so it's not an issue for those products either.

HOW DID THIS HAPPEN?

The story of the design of our springs is a long one. With the launch of Slide, Clutch and Anchor Links we made some small tweaks to the design on our Anchor Link housing (which was originally developed when we launched Leash and Cuff in 2012). The tweaks make the clips operate more smoothly and securely. After extensive testing of the tweaked design we OK'd a pre-production run of 1000 individual Anchor Link housings. 400 of those housings went on pre-production Slides, 200 on pre-production Clutches and 400 on pre--production Anchor Links. We sent those production units into the wild and the feedback was great. So, we released a PO for a full production run of Anchor Link housings.

Fast forward to last week. Over 3000 people received Slides and Clutches, and 800 Anchor Links went out into the wild. Within a few days we had a couple pieces of odd feedback coming in about springs popping out of Anchor Link housings. We did a little in-house testing, determined the problem was a small fluke, and emailed those folks back with an easy fix. A couple more days passed, and we got a dozen more of the same complaints. At this point we realized that this issue was less fluke-y than we initially thought. Hence, we're updating you all to make sure you're aware of it, and we're going to work closely with you from here on out to fix things.

IS MY STUFF SAFE TO USE?

It is, but until we can give you further information, you need to take precautions when using it. We realize that's not a particularly confidence inspiring statement. But our reputation as a brand lies in keeping your cameras safe and secure, so we'd be doing you and ourselves a disservice if we took the soft approach of telling you to proceed with zero caution whatsoever.

We're going to be cutting a video of what this check really is, but know that it is essentially making certain that the hook on the spring is engaged in its recess when you are attaching your Anchor Links. If it is not, you may replace it, but you will of course again need to perform the test. To our knowledge and understanding of the issue, it is not spatially possible for the spring to pop out of once an Anchor is engaged. It can only pop out if it is falsely engaged.

Photos and video of these checks and descriptions of the problem are forthcoming. Literally all PD members are on flights right now, and getting this message out, even without the benefit of visual aids, was too important to wait another 12 hours.

OUR NEXT STEPS:

Here's what we'll be doing in the next few days to move things along:

1. We'll send out a survey to everybody who's received Slide, Clutch or Anchor Links so far. We kindly ask you to fill this survey out as soon as you receive it.

2. We're pausing our fulfillment of orders containing Slide, Clutch or Anchor Links until we know more. Yes, we know this hurts. But the alternative is neither ethical nor practical.

3. We're going to update you in a few days when we know more about how big this issue really is, and what our ultimate fix will be for it.

A HISTORY OF TEAMWORK

Every time we've ever released a product, it's not been without its issues. I would like to think it's possible for a flawless release, and one day I hope we can achieve it. But until then, I want to extend our sincere gratitude to this community....not only for being the group that believes in us enough to take a chance on our products, but also for being the group that guides our decision making through these often challenging issues. Peak Design is very fortunate to have a following of users that is very technically adept, and very interested in helping us succeed as a company. It's a special relationship, and we continue to cherish it.

Thank you in advance.

Peter and the Peak Design team

5DMark4/ 24-105 F4/16-35mm F4 50mm f1.8 II/100mm f2.8L/ 70-200mm f2.8L IS II USM

sponsored links
Edle
74 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Sep 15, 2014 07:33 |  #2

Well crap! I literally had just pre-ordered my Clutch a minute ago then I see this!

Body: 5D MKIII Gripped, 7D MKII
Lens: EF 85mm f1.2L II - EF 50mm f1.2L - EF 16-35mm f2.8L II - EF 17-40mm f4L - EF 24-70mm f2.8L - EF 24-105mm f4L- EF 70-200mm f2.8L IS - EF 100-400mm f4.5-5.6L IS II - EF 15mm f2.8 fisheye - EF 1.4x II
Flashes: 580EX II - 600EX RT Canon Battery Pack CP-E4
Tripod/Monopod/Heads : 190XPROB / 695 5-Section Magfiber / 3039 - 488RC2

NManuel01
756 posts
Joined Aug 2011

Sep 15, 2014 13:14 |  #3

Try pressing on the anchor while secured into the strap, mine did not take much pressure to pop out through the back. I really hope they find a solution to this because the strap is awesome!

Now that I've seen the flaw I can't get it out of my head!

6D, 70-200 MKii F2.8, Tamron 24-70mm, Canon 40mm
Eos M, 18-55mm, 20mm
Alienbee 800, Canon 430exii, Canon 90ex

gakoenig
427 posts
Joined Feb 2010

Sep 15, 2014 14:58 |  #4

As someone who also makes stuff people trust their very expensive cameras with, this is always the nightmare scenario that keeps me awake at night. Peak is a super competent company with smart people, but making stuff in production volume is a complicated endeavor and, explore and test as much as you can, you'll never know what you don't know.

Sounds like they are doing right by their customers and getting ahed of things in as open a manner as possible. Says a lot positive about them.

http://lu.ma (external link), greg@luma-labs.com (external link)

gremlin75
Goldmember
2,728 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Feb 2011

Sep 15, 2014 18:11 |  #5

Edle wrote in post #17155134 (external link)
Well crap! I literally had just pre-ordered my Clutch a minute ago then I see this!

Then you should have nothing to worry about. They are still shipping out the per orders from the kick-starter campaign. People like you and I who placed a pre-order after the kick-starter campaign ended will be at the bottom of the list of people getting our orders, with a few thousand people ahead of us (over 6000 if they have shipped out 3000+ at this point)

I'm sure this issue will be fixed long before your (and mine) order is ready to go.

NManuel01
756 posts
Joined Aug 2011

Sep 15, 2014 18:58 |  #6

If they make the securing mechanics that holds it in place a bit longer it will fine, it was to short and flat to stay engaged. I'm waiting it out because the strap is awesome.

Eos M, 18-55mm, 20mm

v35skyline
Goldmember
3,572 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Sep 15, 2014 19:12 |  #7

This happened to me a couple days ago. Didn't think much of it...glad they sent out an e-mail and are taking care of it.

X100s | X-Pro1 | X-T1 | XF 14 | XF 18 | XF 35 | XF 56 | XF 60 | XF 10-24
Gear List & Feedback

iazybandit
Goldmember
2,207 posts
Joined Apr 2011

Sep 16, 2014 08:03 |  #8

Edle wrote in post #17155134 (external link)

You weren't part of the Kickstarter campaign so you have nothing to worry about. This affects those who received it. And per the email, they stopped fulfilling orders. So that means they are going to rectify the situation and once resolved, they will begin shipping again. So when you get yours, it will be fixed.

I have a 10% off coupon for Peak Design products on my site.

Canon :: 5D Mark IV | R6 | RP
Glass :: RF 24-70L f/2.8 IS | RF 35mm f/1.8 IS STM | EF 16-35L f2.8 | EF 24-70L f2.8 II | EF 50mm f/1.8 STM
FULL GEAR LIST | FEEDBACK
FS: Custom SLR M-Plate Pro Arca Swiss Tripod Plate; BRNO dri+Cap Dehumidifier Body/Lens Cap | SpiderHolster w/Speedbelt, PakPod, Gorillapod Focus

Edle
74 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Sep 16, 2014 08:51 |  #9

Good to know that :)

Body: 5D MKIII Gripped, 7D MKII
Lens: EF 85mm f1.2L II - EF 50mm f1.2L - EF 16-35mm f2.8L II - EF 17-40mm f4L - EF 24-70mm f2.8L - EF 24-105mm f4L- EF 70-200mm f2.8L IS - EF 100-400mm f4.5-5.6L IS II - EF 15mm f2.8 fisheye - EF 1.4x II
Flashes: 580EX II - 600EX RT Canon Battery Pack CP-E4
Tripod/Monopod/Heads : 190XPROB / 695 5-Section Magfiber / 3039 - 488RC2

ekinnyc
784 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Sep 16, 2014 09:46 |  #10

sounds like they'll be replacing the kickstarter orders. i reached out to them on twitter, they replied asking me for info for replacement.

6D| 35mm f/2 IS
Buying/Selling Feedback

DisrupTer911
Goldmember
2,452 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Jul 2008

Sep 19, 2014 15:46 |  #11

Why does the anchor even need to have moving parts. I thought the link was held in with tension when weight is placed on it and the link only comes put the wider aide which would not be the 'weighted' side.

I preordered a Slide too and now I'm nervous

www.vividemotionphotograph​y.comexternal link

gakoenig
427 posts
Joined Feb 2010

Sep 19, 2014 17:23 |  #12

DisrupTer911 wrote in post #17165796 (external link)
Why does the anchor even need to have moving parts. I thought the link was held in with tension when weight is placed on it and the link only comes put the wider aide which would not be the 'weighted' side.

I preordered a Slide too and now I'm nervous

The anchor needs to have a retainer to keep it from slipping backwards out of the holder when the strap is not under directional tension.

Last thing you need is to have the camera up at your eye and have an anchor slip out unnoticed, go to drop it to your hip and BANG.

http://lu.ma (external link), greg@luma-labs.com (external link)

lbridges
124 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Sep 19, 2014 19:26 |  #13

They sent out an e-mail with a link to a video (Kickstarter update #18) that allows one to find out if you have a defective attachment point. Fortunately, the Slide I received passed with flying colors. For others that have the slide, et al, you should investigate.

Peak Design video on how to perform the spring test (external link)

NManuel01
756 posts
Joined Aug 2011

Sep 20, 2014 01:58 |  #14

Both my slide and clutch failed!

Eos M, 18-55mm, 20mm

wanner
52 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jul 2013

Sep 20, 2014 05:02 |  #15

Does this only apply to the new clutch and slide or their older straps as well?

Im a bit worried about using my PD Leash right now.

https://www.flickr.com​/photos/malwan/ (external link)

sponsored links

7,265 views & 0 likes for this thread
PEAK Design warning
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.