Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
Thread started 15 Sep 2014 (Monday) 22:02
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Making my picture pop with Lightroom

amderk
218 posts
Joined Jun 2014

Sep 15, 2014 22:02 |  #1

Within the last year I've taken the Light room course and have played quite a bit with it. I just find that every time I take photos I never seem to give them a wow factor. What do you suggest with these pictures that are soc?

Canon 70D
Lenses Canon 24-70 2.8
Sigma 50mm 1.4 Art
ok to edit pictures

sponsored links
bsmotril
Goldmember
2,516 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Feb 2006

Sep 15, 2014 22:12 |  #2

The biggest thing I see you can do on all of these is pull the Blacks slider over to the right. If you clip a bit on the histogram, as long as it is in shadow with little detail it won't hurt anything. The other things to try are a bit more clarity and vibrance. But try the blacks level first.

Gear List
Galleries: http://www.flickr.com/​photos/smopho/ (external link) --- http://billsmotrilla.z​enfolio.com/ (external link)

amderk
THREAD ­ STARTER
218 posts
Joined Jun 2014

Sep 15, 2014 22:42 |  #3

If I pull the black slider over to the right doesn't that lighten up the picture?

Canon 70D
Lenses Canon 24-70 2.8
Sigma 50mm 1.4 Art
ok to edit pictures

CRCchemist
961 posts
Joined Apr 2014

Sep 16, 2014 02:48 |  #4

amderk wrote in post #17157320 (external link)
If I pull the black slider over to the right doesn't that lighten up the picture?

I think what he meant was that you should pull the blacks slider over to the left, so you get some darker shadows. Your images are kind of washed-out looking, and pulling the black slider into the negative range will give the image a bit of drama that you might be looking for.

On the other hand -- you can go the opposite direction and try to give your images an analog-film look to make them pop. That is done by dragging the blacks to the right into the positive range, and then clicking on your Tone Curve adjustment graph, and manipulating the Tone Curve to clip the blacks and whites at their threshold levels. This is the kind of pop that I prefer to give to my photos. Add grain and a vignette under Effects - and don't sharpen very much. You'll now have a gorgeous classic photograph look. Everyone still loves that look of film.

tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Gallery: 60 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Sep 16, 2014 04:09 |  #5

Really, this has nothing to do with Lightroom, but with portrait/photo processing. Lightroom gives you Raw processing tools, which can do a lot, but then for "serious" portrait processing, there are other tools and people into serious portraiture that get into those other tools, so if you want to go there ask about "portrait processing"!!

Tony
Two Canon cameras (5DC, 30D), three Canon lenses (24-105, 100-400, 100mm macro)
Tony Long Photos on PBase (external link)
Wildlife project pics here (external link), Biking Photog shoots here (external link), "Suburbia" project here (external link)! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics here (external link)

PixelMagic
Cream of the Crop
5,546 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Sep 16, 2014 05:51 |  #6

Forget Lightroom or any raw processor for now. You need to go back to first principles and learn how to recognize good light. Secondly you need to learn to control the amount of light added to the scene when a flash is used to supplement the ambient light (also known as the flash contribution). Once you understand that your images will "pop" on their own and then you can enhance that with post processing.

Looking at your images I can see evidence of flash use in at least the first three images but the third image offers any real potential since it demonstrates a balance between flash and ambient.

Gear List

Intheswamp
Goldmember
1,163 posts
Gallery: 45 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Sep 2013

Sep 16, 2014 07:01 |  #7

PixelMagic wrote in post #17157773 (external link)
Forget Lightroom or any raw processor for now. You need to go back to first principles and learn how to recognize good light. Secondly you need to learn to control the amount of light added to the scene when a flash is used to supplement the ambient light (also known as the flash contribution). Once you understand that your images will "pop" on their own and then you can enhance that with post processing.

<snip...>

In my novice mind the emphasized statement above is a very true and important one. Either I pull up an image SOOC and immediately start struggling to correct over/underexposure, bad contrast, whatever...or, I pull up an image that I can immediately tell is "a good one" and which is a pleasure to "tweak". With the first image I'm trying to make a questionable image "good" but with the second image, the good one, I'm trying to make "good" turn to "better"...or maybe even "best". :)

amderk, in my feeble self-schooling I'm trying to learn to seek (good) natural light, use the varying depths of (large) open shade, to not get too caught up in my main subject that I fail to pay attention to the backgrounds, and shooting "manual". And of course, always composition. Lots of other things to work on, but these just readily come to mind....and trust me, I've got lots to work on. ;)

Best wishes,
Ed

www.beeweather.com (external link)

Bianchi
Cream of the Crop
5,720 posts
Gallery: 54 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Jan 2010

Sep 16, 2014 09:43 as a reply to  @ Intheswamp's post |  #8

I am no portrait finisher, but maybe you are looking for something like this.
All done in LR

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'image/gif' | Redirected to error image by FLICKR
Sep142014-076a (external link) by Sett N trenZ (external link), on Flickr

My Gear flickr (external link)

Eyeball2
132 posts
Joined Jun 2014

Sep 16, 2014 10:12 |  #9

I think you have some solid shots here. The most problematic is the backlit girl. That last one of the little girl with the wildflower is really great.

Here are the same images with some adjustments, all done in Lightroom. There were too many small adjustments to list one-by-one but they were primarily adjustments to exposure, white balance, and so on with some dodging and burning and a very small amount of cloning/healing.

I think for portraits, it is about the subjects and the faces in particular. Anything that distracts from that should try to be addressed. I do that by darkening or lightening the background, brightening the face, reducing saturation and contrast of colors in non-subject areas, and so on.

On most of these I added a little pop to the eyes with increased contrast, clarity, and saturation. Hopefully, I didn't overdo it. Sometimes I need to come back next day to correct for over-aggressive editing.

For on-location shoots, it can be difficult to get the lighting perfect so doing a little dodging and burning in the face to improve facial structure can sometimes help and add a little pop.

I though most of your flash lighting was pretty decent but on the backlit girl it looks like it was pretty much straight on, creating some pin-point catchlights right in the middle of the pupil. I eliminated those catchlights and added my own off-set ones.

Obviously there is a lot of subjective editing, especially where things like white balance and contrast are concerned but I tried as much as possible to play to the strengths of what you shot and avoid the weaknesses.

I hope that gives you some ideas. Let me know if you have any specific questions.

IMAGE: http://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/12145446/Sep142014-076a.jpg
IMAGE: http://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/12145446/Sep142014-055a.jpg
IMAGE: http://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/12145446/Sep142014-082a.jpg
IMAGE: http://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/12145446/Sep142014-103a.jpg

CRCchemist
961 posts
Joined Apr 2014

Sep 16, 2014 12:34 |  #10

PixelMagic wrote in post #17157773 (external link)

Looking at your images I can see evidence of flash use in at least the first three images but the third image offers any real potential since it demonstrates a balance between flash and ambient.

Yes, I was going to agree that the flash isn't being used very well, but I didn't want to get I to the lighting aspect of these shots. You are correct.

amderk
THREAD ­ STARTER
218 posts
Joined Jun 2014

Sep 16, 2014 13:42 |  #11

Feeling a little frustrated with these images and comments, because these pictures were taken as part of 1 on 1 photography lesson with a very well known photographer in our area. I was hoping that with her help I was going to learn and nail some awesome shots of my kids.

Questions-how can I save and make this pictures look good?

#2 where do I find the portrait procession in Forums?

#3 What should I learn and focus on in order to improve my shots?

Canon 70D
Lenses Canon 24-70 2.8
Sigma 50mm 1.4 Art
ok to edit pictures

PixelMagic
Cream of the Crop
5,546 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Sep 16, 2014 14:27 |  #12

Did you shoot raw? Then perhaps you can upload one or two of the raw files and others can have a crack at them. Use a service like Dropbox or Microsoft OneDrive to upload the files and post the links in this forum.

Gear List

Two ­ Hot ­ Shoes
Goldmember
2,926 posts
Gallery: 319 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Apr 2014

Sep 16, 2014 14:30 |  #13

It's funny how programs like Lr have become such a part of our photography.

Here's my take on your first image.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Fuji: X-PRO2, X-T3. 16/1.4, 18/2, 23/1.4, 35/1.4, 56/1.2, 90/2, 16-55/2.8, 50-140/2.8.
Pelican, Ona, ThinkTank, Matthews Grip, Elinchrom

Gear & Discounts (external link)Instagram (external link)Blog (external link)
Coffee & Fujis (external link)YouTube (external link)

amderk
THREAD ­ STARTER
218 posts
Joined Jun 2014

Sep 16, 2014 14:41 |  #14

Yes I did shoot raw. Let me try to figure out how to upload them. Can I use photobucket?

Canon 70D
Lenses Canon 24-70 2.8
Sigma 50mm 1.4 Art
ok to edit pictures

PixelMagic
Cream of the Crop
5,546 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Sep 16, 2014 14:55 |  #15

No, Photobucket will not allow you to upload raw files. You need to use a general file hosting service, not a photo hosting service.

Gear List

sponsored links

8,243 views & 0 likes for this thread
Making my picture pop with Lightroom
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.