Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
Thread started 15 Sep 2014 (Monday) 17:40
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

I just can't get into LR.

medicdude
Goldmember
1,890 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Sep 15, 2014 17:40 |  #1

I have LR5 and PS CS6.

I want to like LR but I just can't.

I don't like how it creates dated folders for imports. I also don't like how it has no straighten tool like ACR.

Does anyone else feel the same?

Dustin
5D3 : Lenses : Flashes

sponsored links
john ­ crossley
Goldmember
2,402 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Sep 15, 2014 17:44 |  #2

medicdude wrote in post #17156708 (external link)
I have LR5 and PS CS6.

I don't like how it creates dated folders for imports. I also don't like how it has no straighten tool like ACR.

Don't use it then.

Some days I'm the dog, some days I'm the lamppost.

Christopher ­ Steven ­ b
Goldmember
3,547 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Sep 15, 2014 17:48 |  #3

There is a straighten tool in LR--how is it different from the ACR one ?

Folders ? I don't even look at the folder names it creates; I'm too busy editing my photos. Close down that section if you don't find it useful. Lightroom doesn't create dated folders when I import--I'm not sure why that's happening for you.

christopher steven b. - Ottawa Wedding Photographer

www.christopherstevenb​.com (external link)| Blog (external link)

sandpiper
Cream of the Crop
7,170 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2006

Sep 15, 2014 17:57 as a reply to  @ Christopher Steven b's post |  #4

If you don't like it, then just use another software package, LR isn't compulsory.

It does what I want it to do, and my folders are all imported as named by me, I don't like dated folders either but I have never had a problem with that.

And, yes, there is a straighten tool in there, although I never use it.

Archibald
You must be quackers!
7,670 posts
Gallery: 316 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined May 2008

Sep 15, 2014 18:12 |  #5

I have never figured out how to train LR to import photos into new folders on my hard drive with my preferred folder name. (Maybe it can't be done, I don't know.)

So I used to let LR do it its way, and then afterwards renamed the folders (in LR) the way I wanted.

But now I almost always make the new folder on my hard drive manually and then copy the pics over manually, and then import them into LR. It takes a couple of extra steps, but works the way I want, and gives me more options for how to organize my pics (for instance sometimes putting several days into one folder).

Sony RX10 IV, Canon 7D2, Canon 77D, assorted Canon lenses
C&C always welcome.
Picture editing OK
Donate to POTN here

tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Gallery: 60 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Sep 15, 2014 21:48 |  #6

People just need to learn the basics of importing pics into LR. You can make up a file-naming template and apply that and copy that over to the folder name, a couple quick and easy steps and you're done, quick and easy!

Tony
Two Canon cameras (5DC, 30D), three Canon lenses (24-105, 100-400, 100mm macro)
Tony Long Photos on PBase (external link)
Wildlife project pics here (external link), Biking Photog shoots here (external link), "Suburbia" project here (external link)! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics here (external link)

bsmotril
Goldmember
2,516 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Feb 2006

Sep 15, 2014 22:14 |  #7

You can copy files on to your HD in whatever schema you want, and then import them from LR after they are already into the folder structure you want. You don't have to import with LR defaults. I don't think it's the SW, it is you learning how to adapt it to your preferences that is the issue here. Once imported, you can also go to the LR library module and rename them whatever you want.

Gear List
Galleries: http://www.flickr.com/​photos/smopho/ (external link) --- http://billsmotrilla.z​enfolio.com/ (external link)

mike_d
Cream of the Crop
5,243 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2009

Sep 15, 2014 22:29 |  #8

bsmotril wrote in post #17157273 (external link)
You can copy files on to your HD in whatever schema you want, and then import them from LR after they are already into the folder structure you want. You don't have to import with LR defaults. I don't think it's the SW, it is you learning how to adapt it to your preferences that is the issue here. Once imported, you can also go to the LR library module and rename them whatever you want.

This. LR is a very powerful and flexible program which requires some RTFM and thought before jumping in. When I first got it, I read the first 1/4 or so of Scott Kelby's book and considered the pros and cons of various organizational schemes before committing to a path.

Scatterbrained
Cream of the Crop
8,416 posts
Gallery: 211 photos
Best ofs: 11
Joined Jan 2010

Sep 15, 2014 22:40 |  #9

I'm amazed at the amount of people who can't figure out how to import images into Lightroom. Seriously, it's not rocket science. In the import panel you pick the images you want to import, select what drive you want them on, and what folder you want them in. Then you name the subfolder. If you don't already have a folder set up you can simply right click on the drive from inside the import window and create the new folder. There is no need whatsoever to import using the default dated structure; nor do you have to import them through windows first to get a custom file structure.

VanillaImaging.com (external link)"Vacuous images for the Vapid consumer"
500px (external link)
flickr (external link)
1x (external link)
instagram (external link)

Scatterbrained
Cream of the Crop
8,416 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Sep 15, 2014 22:41 |  #10

bsmotril wrote in post #17157273 (external link)

This is a waste of time since you can create the file structure you want from inside the Import window.

500px (external link)
flickr (external link)
1x (external link)

Scatterbrained
Cream of the Crop
8,416 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Sep 15, 2014 22:43 |  #11

medicdude wrote in post #17156708 (external link)
I have LR5 and PS CS6.

Lightrooms edit features are the same as ACR. The straighten tool is the same and works the same. It's just the "level" icon in the crop tool drop down menu, or you can use the "manual" lens corrections to rotate the image.

500px (external link)
flickr (external link)
1x (external link)

Archibald
You must be quackers!
7,670 posts
Joined May 2008

Sep 16, 2014 01:10 |  #12

Scatterbrained wrote in post #17157316 (external link)
I'm amazed at the amount of people who can't figure out how to import images into Lightroom. Seriously, it's not rocket science. In the import panel you pick the images you want to import, select what drive you want them on, and what folder you want them in. Then you name the subfolder. If you don't already have a folder set up you can simply right click on the drive from inside the import window and create the new folder. There is no need whatsoever to import using the default dated structure; nor do you have to import them through windows first to get a custom file structure.

Easy if you know how.

OK, I put the memory card into the card reader, fire up LR, and do Library > Import. On the left I select the folder containing the new files. In the middle I pick the files to import. On the right I pick -- not the folder they should go into, but the folder 2 levels higher.

So I select that folder. LR displays in italics the subfolders 2 levels down that it will create and the number of files that will go into those subfolders. LR gives the subfolders names corresponding to the dates the pics were taken.

Can I change those subfolder names that LR is proposing? How? Clicking, double-clicking, and right-clicking doesn't seem to do it.

C&C always welcome.
Picture editing OK
Donate to POTN here

tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Sep 16, 2014 01:18 |  #13

Yes, you can name the sub-folder and also "design" a filename template. My template is a "custom text" with my supplied date and description, which appends a sequence#, then I copy the custom base name into the sub-folder name. My default "parent" folder is my "local"/current shoots folder in my internal data drive, so everything just happens from there. After doing "current" work I then move the shoot folder onto my external drive under my "year" parent folder.

Tony
Wildlife project pics here (external link), Biking Photog shoots here (external link), "Suburbia" project here (external link)! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics here (external link)

Archibald
You must be quackers!
7,670 posts
Joined May 2008

Sep 16, 2014 01:38 |  #14

tonylong wrote in post #17157520 (external link)
Yes, you can name the sub-folder and also "design" a filename template. My template is a "custom text" with my supplied date and description, which appends a sequence#, then I copy the custom base name into the sub-folder name. My default "parent" folder is my "local"/current shoots folder in my internal data drive, so everything just happens from there. After doing "current" work I then move the shoot folder onto my external drive under my "year" parent folder.

OK, thanks. However, I guess I don't understand anything you said. How do I make a custom text template? Why would I want to? Sequence#? Custom base name? Shoots folder? Is doing it this way easier than just making my own subfolder manually?

C&C always welcome.
Picture editing OK
Donate to POTN here

tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Sep 16, 2014 01:47 |  #15

OK...when I do a shoot I plug my card into a card reader, and my Lightroom Import dialog pops up. If it doesn't, I can just click on Import and it will.

In my Import dialog, on the right side of the dialog, there is a file naming section where you can pull down a list to create your own file naming template, so I did that a long time ago to name my files by a custom text (date and description) and the template adds a file#.

So when I Import a shoot I just add the filename and copy the base filename onto my sub-foldername, bam, its done!

Tony

sponsored links

4,886 views & 0 likes for this thread
I just can't get into LR.
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.