Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
Thread started 10 Sep 2014 (Wednesday) 16:46
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Do you have and use a monopod?

snerd
662 posts
Gallery: 14 photos
Joined Nov 2010

Sep 14, 2014 21:50 |  #46

Almost 60 years of life, 2 back surgeries and a shoulder replacement. You bet your sweet bippy I use one, and a tripod, and whatever else I can find to rest the camera on!

sponsored links
Edle
74 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Nov 2007

Sep 16, 2014 12:40 |  #47

I use one on my 70-200 when shooting my daughter's volleyball games. It's not a must have for me, but definitely helps lighten the load and keeps the camera still.

Body: 5D MKIII Gripped, 7D MKII
Lens: EF 85mm f1.2L II - EF 50mm f1.2L - EF 16-35mm f2.8L II - EF 17-40mm f4L - EF 24-70mm f2.8L - EF 24-105mm f4L- EF 70-200mm f2.8L IS - EF 100-400mm f4.5-5.6L IS II - EF 15mm f2.8 fisheye - EF 1.4x II
Flashes: 580EX II - 600EX RT Canon Battery Pack CP-E4
Tripod/Monopod/Heads : 190XPROB / 695 5-Section Magfiber / 3039 - 488RC2

ricsha
110 posts
Joined Jun 2014

Sep 19, 2014 22:07 |  #48

I have a Gitzo GM2540 Monopod and find it very useful for those times when a tripod is too much to carry, or in the way (like in a narrow area with other people around, sidewalks, trails), and just to steady a heavy lens to give me some relief from hand-holding.

In my experience a ballhead does not work well with a monopod (too floppy, too many moving parts). Do yourself a big favor and equip it with a dedicated monopod head. The best must be the RRS MH-01 topped with a 40LR lever release clamp so you can get it on and off quickly. Second best would be an old Manfroto 234 swivel with a quick release clamp on top.

I'm a big fan of monopods for cameras large and small. Guess I've had too many bad pics due to hand-holding instead of firm support. I use a tripod when I can, and a monopod at most other times.

Lowner
"I'm the original idiot"
12,924 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Sep 20, 2014 06:21 |  #49

Unlike ricsha, I find my normal ballhead a very useful addition on my monopod. It allows me to select the angle of the 'pod I'm most comfortable with and it then gets locked off. Any further movements, such as following cars/bikes/planes/peop​le, are done with the whole thing.

Richard

http://rcb4344.zenfoli​o.com (external link)

hollis_f
Cream of the Crop
10,649 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jul 2007

Sep 20, 2014 06:47 |  #50

ricsha wrote in post #17166438 (external link)
In my experience a ballhead does not work well with a monopod (too floppy, too many moving parts).

Couldn't agree more. It's not too bad with light lenses, but once a bit of weight gets on there then you need one hand to hold the lens, one to hold the monopod and a third to tighten the tension knob.

ricsha wrote in post #17166438 (external link)
The best must be the RRS MH-01 topped with a 40LR lever release clamp so you can get it on and off quickly. Second best would be an old Manfroto 234 swivel with a quick release clamp on top.

Love my MH-01. I also had a 234RC2 but it just couldn't handle the weight of a big lens.

Frank Hollis - Retired mass spectroscopist
Give a man a fish and he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he'll complain about the withdrawal of his free fish entitlement.
Gear Website (external link)

Sibil
Cream of the Crop
10,415 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Sep 20, 2014 07:02 as a reply to  @ hollis_f's post |  #51

A heavy-duty monopod can also double as a cane, if need be.

stevewf1
795 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Sep 22, 2014 06:11 |  #52

I have a couple of monopods, but for the life of me, I just can't make practical use of them. I have better luck using my tripod with the legs closed up...

Steve

nellyle
Goldmember
1,228 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Jan 2012

Sep 22, 2014 07:26 |  #53

hollis_f wrote in post #17166856 (external link)
Couldn't agree more. It's not too bad with light lenses, but once a bit of weight gets on there then you need one hand to hold the lens, one to hold the monopod and a third to tighten the tension knob.

Love my MH-01. I also had a 234RC2 but it just couldn't handle the weight of a big lens.

Also, don't discount the Kirk monopod head, I use one and it handles the weight easily.

5D3, 7D2, 1D3, 40D, 14 f2.8 Samyang, 17-40 L, 28-80 L, 70-200 2.8ii L, 200 2.8ii L, 200-400 L, 1.4 ii,
http://chris-stamp.smugmug.com/ (external link)

hollis_f
Cream of the Crop
10,649 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jul 2007

Sep 22, 2014 08:36 |  #54

nellyle wrote in post #17170574 (external link)
Also, don't discount the Kirk monopod head, I use one and it handles the weight easily.

Ah, yes. If I were buying today I'd almost certainly get the Kirk, not least because I can buy it in the UK, whereas I had to import the RRS head from the US. However, when I made my purchase there was just the choice of the RRS MH-01 or the Manfrotto jellyhead.

Frank Hollis - Retired mass spectroscopist
Give a man a fish and he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he'll complain about the withdrawal of his free fish entitlement.
Gear Website (external link)

Talley
Talley Whacker
11,091 posts
Gallery: 46 photos
Joined Dec 2011

Sep 22, 2014 13:19 |  #55

I have a monopod and have never used it. Even with my 120-300 and 2x I still handhold it. Just can't seem to have something that long dongle around attached.

I'm use to carrying mine by the tripod foot.

Maybe it's because I don't have a head for mine. I need that.

A7rIII | A7III | 12-24 F4 | 16-35 GM | 28-75 2.8 | 100-400 GM | 12mm 2.8 Fisheye | 35mm 2.8 | 85mm 1.8 | 35A | 85A | 200mm L F2 IS | MC-11
My Gear Archive

C ­ Scott ­ IV
Goldmember
3,365 posts
Gallery: 583 photos
Best ofs: 8
Joined Feb 2011

Sep 22, 2014 19:13 |  #56

My MeFoto has a built in monopod, which I have used a few times. It was worth it to take the weight while waiting for wildlife to pose.

After reading this thread it occurred to me that a monopod may be useful in the kayak waiting for wildlife to pose. Unfortunately the MeFoto monopod is too tall for that. It would work using the two legs but that is extra bulk. I have a Canon monopod, which is short enough, but the head only moves one direction and is not removable. Because of that the head binds when panning. For kayaking I would need a full ball head.

Maybe it is time for a DIY project! Maybe a simple twig with a "Y" would work.

Anyway, thanks for triggering the thought.

Charles
www.CScott4.com (external link) | Instagram (external link) | Facebook (external link) | Gear | Image Editing OK and critique welcome
"The single most important component of a camera is the twelve inches behind it!" Ansel Adams

canonphotog
796 posts
Joined Nov 2005

Sep 22, 2014 21:23 |  #57

S.Horton wrote in post #17153867 (external link)
Turning off IS is still a mystery to me. I've tried it both ways. IS stays on 100% now. Try a few thousand frames both ways. If there's a benefit to shutting it off I don't know what it is.

The benefit of shutting off IS is speed of focus acquisition. If you have to wait for the IS to spin up you may miss the shot.

Shooting with IS requires a different mindset than shooting without.

-Ken
Gear List|Kenny D. Photography (external link)

M_Six
Cream of the Crop
7,550 posts
Gallery: 59 photos
Joined Dec 2010

Sep 22, 2014 21:37 |  #58

I have one with a Sirui ballhead and Wimberley sidekick attached. Great for long sessions with a big lens like shooting football or baseball. And if I need to move, it's easier to collapse the monopod and open it again in a new spot. The downside, as has been mentioned, is that you can't just let go of your stuff to do something else. Although you can let the camera hang from a neck or shoulder strap if you really need your hands free for a bit.

Mark J.
Gear

Jon
Cream of the Crop
69,628 posts
Joined Jun 2004

Sep 22, 2014 21:40 |  #59

canonphotog wrote in post #17172082 (external link)
The benefit of shutting off IS is speed of focus acquisition. If you have to wait for the IS to spin up you may miss the shot.

Shooting with IS requires a different mindset than shooting without.

If you're shooting a moving target, you're probably using servo AF, so you've got the IS active anyhow while you acquire the composition. I know I have the shutter button half pressed as I track aircraft or birds in flight. If it's a stationary subject, then speed of focus acquisition is irrelevant.

I don't use a monopod as much as I should. On at least two "once in a lifetime" shoots, the winds were so high that a normally hand-holdable lens (the 100-400) was getting blown all around because I left the monopod back at the room.

Jon
----------
Cocker Spaniels
Maryland and Virginia activities
Image Posting Rules and Image Posting FAQ
Report SPAM, Don't Answer It! (link)
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.
PAYPAL GIFT NO LONGER ALLOWED HERE

canonphotog
796 posts
Joined Nov 2005

Sep 22, 2014 21:43 |  #60

Jon wrote in post #17172118 (external link)
If you're shooting a moving target, you're probably using servo AF, so you've got the IS active anyhow while you acquire the composition. I know I have the shutter button half pressed as I track aircraft or birds in flight. If it's a stationary subject, then speed of focus acquisition is irrelevant.

Inaccurate statement. I leave IS off for football as I have the shutter speed high enough not to need it and often track the game from beside the lens before focusing in on where the action is going to occur.

Really surprised you'd take the "my way" approach to commenting.

-Ken
Gear List|Kenny D. Photography (external link)

sponsored links

9,425 views & 0 likes for this thread
Do you have and use a monopod?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.