Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
Thread started 16 Sep 2014 (Tuesday) 19:13
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Wedding photography, Raw or Raw+JPEG and why?

Colin ­ Glover
Goldmember
1,376 posts
Gallery: 17 photos
Joined Aug 2012

Sep 16, 2014 19:13 |  #1

I'm getting started in wedding photography and wondered if you shoot Raw only or Raw +JPEG and why?

Canon EOS 70D, Canon EOS 600D, EF-S 18-55 ii, EF 55-200 USM ii, EF-S 75-300 iii, Tamron 28-80, Sigma 70-210. Pentax 50mm, Pentax 135mm, EF-S 55-250, Raynox Macro adapter, Neewer filters (CPL, UV, FLD & ND4), Fuji HS20 EXR (30X zoom ) & cable release, Yongnuo 560 iii & Luxon 9800A manual flashguns for the Fuji, Hama Star 63 tripod, Hongdek RC-6 remote control, Velbon DF 40 www.point-n-shoot.co.uk website.

sponsored links
madhatter04
Goldmember
1,930 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Sep 16, 2014 19:15 |  #2

RAW only. I want to have complete control over that JPEG I export without having the camera compress it and mutilate it. I'd like to put it through the wringer in Lightroom first to correct it and edit it, then Photoshop for retouching, and use that JPEG.

Designer // Art Director // Photographer
www.alexanderfitch.com (external link) | AlexFitchPhoto on Instagram (external link)

maverick75
Cream of the Crop
5,707 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined May 2012

Sep 16, 2014 19:24 |  #3

I shoot Raw + Jpeg, the only real time I need Raw is in low light situations or when shooting high dynamic scenes. In other areas (like when I use flash) using the raw files is just a waste of time.

I'm not going to gain anything from processing the raw that I can't get straight out of the camera. I do setup the profile though, which is the equivalent of tweaking a raw file and my jpegs also get edited in Photoshop.

I like shooting with both just in case something goes wrong, but 90% of the time I just end up using the jpegs.

- Alex Corona Sony A7, Canon 7DM2/EOS M, Mamiya 645/67
Flickr (external link) - 500px (external link) - Website (external link)- Feedback -Feedback

ShotByTom
Goldmember
3,021 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Aug 2005

Sep 16, 2014 20:08 |  #4

I shoot the portraits and ceremony in RAW and the reception in JPEG because I do very little editing of the reception photos.

Gear
Website (external link)

WookieeGunner
52 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2014

Sep 16, 2014 20:29 |  #5

I don't shoot weddings so take my comment with a grain of salt.

I tend to shoot Raw + JPEG so that I can yank my card out of my camera, through it on my laptop, and check my photos immediately. Basically I use the JPEG as a draft that I can check quickly and then process my final pics from the RAW.

Imaginary ­ Enemy
219 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Dec 2009

Sep 16, 2014 20:43 |  #6

Raw only then create jpegs later. Shooting both takes up unnecessary space.

Feedback
Instagram (external link)
5D3 | Σ 50mm f1.4 | 100mm f2.8

Karl ­ Johnston
Cream of the Crop
9,334 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Sep 16, 2014 21:12 |  #7
bannedPermanent ban

RAW + Jpeg; have heard of family photographers using it to very quickly proof images on a post-shoot slideshow/proofing session, in house. Usually right after the session.

Seems like it wouldn't really work for most wedding photographers though who knows.

Adventurous Photographer, Writer (external link) & Wedding Photographer (external link)

juicedownload
374 posts
Joined Jun 2011

Sep 16, 2014 22:36 |  #8

IMO, the only reason to go with jpg is because it's faster to process. It really comes down to technology and speed. RAW means larger file sizes, which used to be a problem years ago.

Today, if you think RAW is slow for post-processing or takes up too much room, then you probably need to upgrade. Space is cheap and fast processors aren't that expensive. Also the western culture of instant gratification, with the need to have stuff now. I would not have enough patience back in the film days.

Maybe in the near future this will be a moot debate as the speed/space will be a non-issue.

Harrisburg Wedding Photographer (external link)

MFG
537 posts
Joined Sep 2008

Sep 16, 2014 23:01 |  #9

RAW, people tend to have jpg as a form of smaller storage backup files. who cares these days. raw in both cards.

AIPP Accredited (Australia), WPJA
Professional Wedding, Newborn and Family Photographer
https://www.scottgohph​otography.com.au (external link)
https://www.facebook.c​om/ScottGohPhotography (external link)
https://www.scottgohph​otography.com.au/blog (external link)
https://www.scottgohph​otography.com.au/babie​s-and-children/ (external link)

banquetbear
Goldmember
1,600 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Sep 17, 2014 02:51 as a reply to  @ MFG's post |  #10

...for most events with the 5D III I shoot RAW to one card and hi-res JPEG to the other. As I do a lot of corporate events that sometimes need images for press quickly: my assistant can get images to the client after a quick cull of the JPEG card in Fast Picture Viewer before I've even finished shooting. After the event I edit the RAW and upload that to a private gallery within 24 hours of the event.

www.bigmark.co.nzexternal link

Colin ­ Glover
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,376 posts
Joined Aug 2012

Sep 17, 2014 20:15 |  #11

Thanks guys, opinions seem split. Where is a good free private sharing site?

Canon EOS 70D, Canon EOS 600D, EF-S 18-55 ii, EF 55-200 USM ii, EF-S 75-300 iii, Tamron 28-80, Sigma 70-210. Pentax 50mm, Pentax 135mm, EF-S 55-250, Raynox Macro adapter, Neewer filters (CPL, UV, FLD & ND4), Fuji HS20 EXR (30X zoom ) & cable release, Yongnuo 560 iii & Luxon 9800A manual flashguns for the Fuji, Hama Star 63 tripod, Hongdek RC-6 remote control, Velbon DF 40 www.point-n-shoot.co.uk website.

banquetbear
Goldmember
1,600 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Sep 17, 2014 21:38 |  #12

Colin Glover wrote in post #17162044 (external link)
Thanks guys, opinions seem split. Where is a good free private sharing site?

...you need to be a bit more specific on what you are looking for.

www.bigmark.co.nzexternal link

jrbdmb
Goldmember
1,291 posts
Joined May 2011

Sep 18, 2014 03:22 |  #13

Colin Glover wrote in post #17162044 (external link)
Thanks guys, opinions seem split.

Not really. If you need images immediately after shooting then use JPG. For ultimate ability to post-process use RAW. If both are important to you then shoot both.

Now IMHO for most wedding photography RAW is preferable. There generally isn't a need to provide digital images immediately after the event, but there *may* be a need to save irreplaceable images that were not exposed properly. But as mentioned above there can be exceptions to the general rule.

Tools: 70D, 10-22, Tamron 24-70 VC, 70-300L, 135 f2L

Colin ­ Glover
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,376 posts
Joined Aug 2012

Sep 18, 2014 19:17 |  #14

I'd need either a hidden link tof my website, or free file hosting that will let me upload 400 plus low res jpegs. What do you suggest guys?

cdifoto
Don't get pissy with me
34,090 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Sep 20, 2014 03:17 |  #15

I do raw only for the sole reason that switching out is kind of annoying, raw has saved my hind quarters on more than one occasion, and JPEGs just waste space.

Did you lose Digital Photo Professional (DPP)? Get it here (external link). Cursing at your worse-than-a-map reflector? Check out this vid! (external link)

sponsored links

4,997 views & 0 likes for this thread
Wedding photography, Raw or Raw+JPEG and why?
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.