Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 15 Sep 2014 (Monday) 11:20
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

-= 7D2 owners unite! Discuss and post photos!

Immaculens
creeped by the TF....
13,206 posts
Gallery: 79 photos
Joined Jul 2009

Sep 16, 2014 19:55 |  #61

Mornnb wrote in post #17159341 (external link)
What happened to the no nonsense 7D community?
'7D2 owners unite!' :rolleyes: The 7D thread is simply called '7D Post Pictures Here'.

good question... I found that thread about as warm and inviting as a morgue in November... What about continuity? :eek:

Will immaculens.com (external link)

7Dmk II gripped | 5Dc | 150-600 (Σ) OS C | 55-250 IS STM | 100L f/2.8 IS Macro | 15-85 IS | 50 f/1.8 STM | 30 Σ f/1.4 'A'
Learn to love to do well, and you shall. ~ C. Poseidon

sponsored links
CRCchemist
961 posts
Joined Apr 2014

Sep 16, 2014 20:01 |  #62

So this was disappointing to read about the 7D II on the DPReview article on the pre-production 7D II they were given to evaluate:

"On the stills side of things, Canon has made remarkably few advances in sensor technology since the launch of the original 7D, and variants of its sensor still underpin much of the company's lineup."

gjl711
According to the lazy TF, My flatulence rates
55,301 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Sep 16, 2014 20:16 |  #63

CRCchemist wrote in post #17159654 (external link)
So this was disappointing to read about the 7D II on the DPReview article on the pre-production 7D II they were given to evaluate:

"On the stills side of things, Canon has made remarkably few advances in sensor technology since the launch of the original 7D, and variants of its sensor still underpin much of the company's lineup."

Yea, but it's sort of summing up where I'm headed. The more I look into this camera, I'm just not walking away with the "WOW!! I got to get me one" feeling. My 7D is getting quite old and will need replacing at some point. I'm tempted to just pick up another low shutter count 7D and save my $$ until Canon does come up with something worth upgrading to.

Not sure why, but call me JJ.
I used to hate math but then I realised decimals have a point.
::Flickr:: (external link)
::Gear::

aladyforty
Goldmember
4,148 posts
Gallery: 269 photos
Best ofs: 3
Joined Dec 2005

Sep 16, 2014 20:21 |  #64

willing to wait for real world reviews on this camera rather than listen to all the techies whinge and cry about video on a stills camera or how much better Sony or who ever else is than canon, if you don't like go elsewhere, its a choice, no-one is forcing you to buy a canon camera. I'm hoping the image quality on 7DII will be close to that of 1DIV and I would be happy, all the specs look great and this could be a great companion to my 5DIII, guess its just a waiting game and in the mean time so much hyperbole will be written about a camera yet to be seen, really quite funny

5D3 7D2 Canon G1X Fuji X100 Fuji X10 canon glass & the odd other brands https://500px.com/alad​yforty (external link)
My youtube channel https://www.youtube.co​m …wlc4zg?view_as=​subscriber (external link)

Madwrench
633 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Sep 16, 2014 23:44 |  #65

gjl711 wrote in post #17159690 (external link)
Yea, but it's sort of summing up where I'm headed. The more I look into this camera, I'm just not walking away with the "WOW!! I got to get me one" feeling. My 7D is getting quite old and will need replacing at some point. I'm tempted to just pick up another low shutter count 7D and save my $$ until Canon does come up with something worth upgrading to.

Yeah, I'm not sure yet either - my 7D still does what I need it to do. But...it's tempting, regardless.

Canon will sell plenty of the 7D-2's to existing 7D owners. On the other end, it'll be a nice opportunity for some xxxd or old xxd owners to pick up a nice used 7D-1 for less than the seller would really like to get! It's still a very good machine.

Scrumhalf
Cream of the Crop
6,427 posts
Gallery: 61 photos
Joined Jul 2012

Sep 17, 2014 00:05 |  #66

I've seen some very good high ISO photos using the 70D on the high ISO thread. If the 7D2 high ISO performance is anything like the 70D (or better), I'm in. In the Oregon gloom, I want to be able to put the camera at 12,800, crank up the shutter speed and not think twice about it. The 7D is challenged in this scenario. I want to be able to do this at whim, just like with my 6D, where I don't think twice about cranking up the ISO if needed.

Sam
5D4 | 6D | 7D2 (2 bodies) | Reasonably good glass
Gear List

If I don't get the shots I want with the gear I have, the only optics I need to examine is the mirror on the bathroom wall. The root cause will be there.

khwaja
895 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Aug 2012

Sep 17, 2014 00:25 |  #67

Scrumhalf wrote in post #17160175 (external link)
I've seen some very good high ISO photos using the 70D on the high ISO thread. If the 7D2 high ISO performance is anything like the 70D (or better), I'm in. In the Oregon gloom, I want to be able to put the camera at 12,800, crank up the shutter speed and not think twice about it. The 7D is challenged in this scenario. I want to be able to do this at whim, just like with my 6D, where I don't think twice about cranking up the ISO if needed.

What are the chances of Canon releasing next rebel with this new sensor?.

Canon 6D Mark 2, 50mm STM

Mornnb
Goldmember
1,646 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Aug 2012

Sep 17, 2014 03:43 |  #68

aladyforty wrote in post #17159707 (external link)
willing to wait for real world reviews on this camera rather than listen to all the techies whinge and cry about video on a stills camera or how much better Sony or who ever else is than canon, if you don't like go elsewhere, its a choice, no-one is forcing you to buy a canon camera. I'm hoping the image quality on 7DII will be close to that of 1DIV and I would be happy, all the specs look great and this could be a great companion to my 5DIII, guess its just a waiting game and in the mean time so much hyperbole will be written about a camera yet to be seen, really quite funny

No other camera can do what it can though... 65 AF points and 10 frames per second with the reach of a crop? This is the camera for every sports photographer who can't afford a 1DX and a 400mm 2.8. It will also be the choice of all wildlife and bird where the reach is a real advantage because optical cropping beats digital cropping.

Canon 5D Mark III - Leica M240
EF 16-35mm F/4 IS L - EF 14mm f/2.8 L II - - EF 17mm TS-E L - EF 24-70mm f/2.8 L II - EF 70-200mm IS II f/2.8 L - Sigma 35mm f/1.4 Art - Sigma 85mm f/1.4 EX
Voigtlander 15mm III - 28mm Elmarit-M ASPH - 35mm f/1.4 Summilux-M FLE - 50mm f/1.4 Summilux-M ASPH
500px (external link)

MedicineMan4040
The Magic Johnson of Cameras
18,776 posts
Gallery: 1845 photos
Best ofs: 7
Joined Jul 2013

Sep 17, 2014 05:40 |  #69

^ I think the Sony A6000 has those stats equaled or beat....sadly it doesn't have the long(er) lenses needed but in 2015 supposedly Sony will bring those on-line.

flickr (external link)
Vid Collection: https://www.youtube.co​m/user/medicineman4040 (external link)

pknight
Goldmember
2,662 posts
Gallery: 37 photos
Joined Feb 2006

Sep 17, 2014 06:22 |  #70

DJHaze596 wrote in post #17157697 (external link)
But the extra reach is nothing, I never understood the hype of Crop Vs Full Frame Reach. I went from a 70D to a 6D and i will gladly say the reach difference is like half a inch on the image

????????????

Digital EOS 7D Mark II Canon: EF 50mm f/1.8 II, EF 50mm f/2.5 Compact Macro, Life-Size Converter EF Tamron: SP 17-50mm f/2.8 DiII, 18-400mm f/3.5-6.3 DiII VC HLD, SP 150-600 f/5-6.3 Di VC USD G2, SP 70-200 f/2.8 Di VC USD, 10-24mm f/3.5-4.5 DiII VC HLD Sigma: 30mm f/1.4 DC Art Rokinon: 8mm f/3.5 AS IF UMC

aladyforty
Goldmember
4,148 posts
Gallery: 269 photos
Best ofs: 3
Joined Dec 2005

Sep 17, 2014 06:47 |  #71

DJHaze596 wrote in post #17157697 (external link)
But the extra reach is nothing, I never understood the hype of Crop Vs Full Frame Reach. I went from a 70D to a 6D and i will gladly say the reach difference is like half a inch on the image, I even put a 1.4x Extender on the 70D and the difference is again, hardly anything and for what it cost ($500), it's a waste of money.

Ummm basically if I have to lightly crop my 7D when photographing distant wildlife, the same shot with my 5DIII will need even more serious cropping. my experience is then a very physically small image that loses quality in print, I also enter photo comps and my files are then too small so I cant enter or have to uprez the image causing even more degradation so if you need reach and with birding you nearly always do, you are better off with a cropper unless you can get really close or can afford longer focal length lenses. As I am an L lens person only (in general) Id rather spend $2000 on a crop camera and use my 400m L lens than buy a cheap lesser quality 600 to 800mm lens or spend over $7000 for an L lens for my 5DIII. Top all this off with the fact that the 5DIII is not fast enough in many situations let alone the 6D!

5D3 7D2 Canon G1X Fuji X100 Fuji X10 canon glass & the odd other brands https://500px.com/alad​yforty (external link)
My youtube channel https://www.youtube.co​m …wlc4zg?view_as=​subscriber (external link)

outmywindow
672 posts
Joined Jan 2013

Sep 17, 2014 09:52 |  #72

khwaja wrote in post #17160191 (external link)
What are the chances of Canon releasing next rebel with this new sensor?.

If the last five years with the 18 Mp sensor that we've seen is any indication, I'd say the chances are quite high. In this vain I would guess that more than likely there will be a T6i or something along those lines with the 70D sensor springtime next year with one or two things gimped like a missing mode for the DPAF and only the 9 pt AF module. But I would say by that time one could save up enough money to splurge all the way for a 70D or 7d2. :)

Just a soul with a camera

Puckman
Cream of the Crop
6,311 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Sep 2013

Sep 17, 2014 11:17 |  #73

It'll make a good backup/companion for my 6D...I think I'll pre-order...

Sony A7RII and a bunch of lenses.

Speedster159
568 posts
Joined Jan 2012

Sep 17, 2014 11:50 |  #74

Been planning on the 7D Classic for a few year(s) but decided to just wait for the Mark II... The Mark II can't possibly be a downgrade right? :P

Panasonic HC-X1000 | GoPro Hero4 Black | 3770K

jwcdds
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
14,632 posts
Gallery: 1653 photos
Best ofs: 5
Joined Aug 2004

Sep 17, 2014 11:54 |  #75

Speedster159 wrote in post #17161069 (external link)
Been planning on the 7D Classic for years but decided to just wait for the Mark II... The Mark II can't possibly be a downgrade right? :P

:lol:

For some, not enough of a sensor upgrade = downgrade. :rolleyes:

Julian
Gear/Feedbacks | SmugMug (external link) | Flickr (external link) | Blog (external link) | Instagram (external link) | YouTube (external link)
My Reviews | "The Mighty One" (external link) | "EF 85mm f/1.4 L IS Review" (external link)
Founding member and President of the BOGUS Photo Club (Blatantly-Over-Geared & Under-Skilled)

sponsored links

7,407,128 views & 95,606 likes for this thread
-= 7D2 owners unite! Discuss and post photos!
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.