Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 15 Sep 2014 (Monday) 07:05
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Canon officially announces the 7D Mark II

2n10
Cream of the Crop
17,070 posts
Gallery: 79 photos
Joined Sep 2012

Sep 17, 2014 11:34 |  #736

Reservoir Dog wrote in post #17160967 (external link)
I just made a new test ;)
With the setting Tools/Settings ... /View/ Camera Raw > "Embeded preview" the portrait of the girl is showing instantly when i double click on the thumbnail and her face is well exposed

With the setting Tools/Settings ... /View/ Camera Raw > "Full size" the portrait of the girl take few second to show up (computer working) when i double click on it, and we can see clearly that her face is under exposed, and the water at the back is not so blowed up ;)

Raw here >> http://www.imaging-resource.com …non-7d-mark-iiGALLERY.HTM (external link)

Awesome sounds very promising and fun. Now to get off work and have that fun.

John
Equipment
My Portfolio (external link)

sponsored links
Lester ­ Wareham
28,209 posts
Gallery: 3246 photos
Best ofs: 6
Joined Jul 2005

Sep 17, 2014 11:52 |  #737

Reservoir Dog wrote in post #17160967 (external link)
I just made a new test ;)
With the setting Tools/Settings ... /View/ Camera Raw > "Embeded preview" the portrait of the girl is showing instantly when i double click on the thumbnail and her face is well exposed

With the setting Tools/Settings ... /View/ Camera Raw > "Full size" the portrait of the girl take few second to show up (computer working) when i double click on it, and we can see clearly that her face is under exposed, and the water at the back is not so blowed up ;)

Raw here >> http://www.imaging-resource.com …non-7d-mark-iiGALLERY.HTM (external link)

Nothing over ISO 400 though.

My Photography Home Page (external link) RSS Feed (external link)
Gear List
FAQ on UV and Clear Protective Filters
Macrophotography by LordV

Canonised
Goldmember
1,269 posts
Gallery: 11 photos
Joined Dec 2005

Sep 17, 2014 12:14 as a reply to  @ post 17155351 |  #738

I have been trying to locate a key specification.

The speed at which the images are written to CF card. The 7D speed is discernably slower than the 5D3 from my use on these two bodies. At 10fps with 31 RAW frame buffer for 7D2, you can hold down for only three seconds. But if the writing to card is supremely fast, the camera could carry off more frames over a longer period (e.g. on 5D3 when I fire 4 frame bursts and a half second interval I can keep going on almost indefinitely - but have to turn off writing to SD). I am using 1066X speed card.

Anyone has any idea on this spec?

BTW I will miss the WIFI function but I guess getting another EyeFi card is not too much of a trouble. I love using Eye Fi. On my 5D3, I configure full RAW on CF and Full Jpeg on EyeFi. I then send the jpg over to my iPadAir to view and adjust on snapseed. If it suffices, I save and use it instead of the RAWs. If special image that deserves special attention, then I return to the RAW for PS.

CANONISED (aka Horolographer)
GEAR LIST

Horolography blog - http://watchinghorolog​y.com (external link)
Photography blog - http://harrytanphotogr​aphy.com/ (external link)

nekrosoft13
Goldmember
4,087 posts
Gallery: 185 photos
Joined Jun 2010

Sep 17, 2014 12:17 |  #739
bannedPermanent ban

mclaren777 wrote in post #17155747 (external link)
I think it would be great for both companies. In fact, I think it would be much like the current console market. The PS4 and Xbone One both have roughly the same AMD chipset inside of them. Never before in the history of gaming consoles have two big rivals been so similar in architecture. And because AMD is able to make so many APUs, Sony and Microsoft are able to get good prices on them.

I would love to see a world where Canon and Nikon are both using the same sensors, because it would allow each company to spend their R&D dollars on other stuff like image processors, lenses, and AF systems.

Samsung just proved today that it's hungry to get into the "big boy" photography space. They will likely become Sony's biggest rival in sensor technology, which will keep both companies from becoming complacent.

and samsung process is even better smaller then Sonys, this new NX1 sensor could be quite good.

Gear List

hollis_f
Cream of the Crop
10,649 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jul 2007

Sep 17, 2014 12:23 |  #740

Canonised wrote in post #17161147 (external link)
I have been trying to locate a key specification.

The speed at which the images are written to CF card. The 7D speed is discernably slower than the 5D3 from my use on these two bodies. At 10fps with 31 RAW frame buffer for 7D2, you can hold down for only three seconds.

Only 3 seconds!:eek:

I consider myself a bit of a machine gunner, but I've never got close to shooting 20 images in a burst, let alone 30. Just what do you shoot that requires 30 image bursts?

Frank Hollis - Retired mass spectroscopist
Give a man a fish and he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he'll complain about the withdrawal of his free fish entitlement.
Gear Website (external link)

Canonised
Goldmember
1,269 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Sep 17, 2014 12:26 |  #741

hollis_f wrote in post #17161173 (external link)
Only 3 seconds!:eek:

I consider myself a bit of a machine gunner, but I've never got close to shooting 20 images in a burst, let alone 30. Just what do you shoot that requires 30 image bursts?

Actually I was not thinking about the number of frames but the length of time achieved. I found that when I shoot BIF I need to keep on shooting for periods longer than two or three seconds as I pan. I actually would be satisfied with 8fps but with higher buffer so I can shoot longer without running out of puff.

GEAR LIST

pwm2
"Sorry for being a noob"
8,626 posts
Joined May 2007

Sep 17, 2014 12:51 |  #742

nekrosoft13 wrote in post #17161154 (external link)
and samsung process is even better smaller then Sonys, this new NX1 sensor could be quite good.

Smaller processes doesn't mean better. They are sometimes worse. It's enough that the process allows small enough feature sizes. And Canon is on the wrong side of that line.

5DMk2 + BG-E6 | 40D + BG-E2N | 350D + BG-E3 + RC-1 | Elan 7E | Minolta Dimage 7U | (Gear thread)
10-22 | 16-35/2.8 L II | 20-35 | 24-105 L IS | 28-135 IS | 40/2.8 | 50/1.8 II | 70-200/2.8 L IS | 100/2.8 L IS | 100-400 L IS | Sigma 18-200DC
Speedlite 420EZ | Speedlite 580EX | EF 1.4x II | EF 2x II

pwm2
"Sorry for being a noob"
8,626 posts
Joined May 2007

Sep 17, 2014 12:53 |  #743

Canonised wrote in post #17161181 (external link)
Actually I was not thinking about the number of frames but the length of time achieved. I found that when I shoot BIF I need to keep on shooting for periods longer than two or three seconds as I pan. I actually would be satisfied with 8fps but with higher buffer so I can shoot longer without running out of puff.

But your three seconds for 30 shots assumes that the camera does not write anything at all during the burst. Is that true? If the camera manages to write 3 images/second during the burst, then you take 30 shots and saves 9 shots and still have only consumed 21 shots of your buffer.

5DMk2 + BG-E6 | 40D + BG-E2N | 350D + BG-E3 + RC-1 | Elan 7E | Minolta Dimage 7U | (Gear thread)
10-22 | 16-35/2.8 L II | 20-35 | 24-105 L IS | 28-135 IS | 40/2.8 | 50/1.8 II | 70-200/2.8 L IS | 100/2.8 L IS | 100-400 L IS | Sigma 18-200DC
Speedlite 420EZ | Speedlite 580EX | EF 1.4x II | EF 2x II

Canonised
Goldmember
1,269 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Sep 17, 2014 13:19 |  #744

pwm2 wrote in post #17161242 (external link)
But your three seconds for 30 shots assumes that the camera does not write anything at all during the burst. Is that true? If the camera manages to write 3 images/second during the burst, then you take 30 shots and saves 9 shots and still have only consumed 21 shots of your buffer.

Yes, which is why I asked if anyone knew what was the file writing speed is to CF Card. That way I think we can determine the true length of time the camera can keep firing. Hopefully it is a lot longer than 3 secs.

BTW if you estimate saving 3 frames per second, then overall the max number of frames total will be 39 in about four seconds before it runs out of puff. If my math is right. Then of course there is the question how long it takes to keep writing all to card before firing at 10fps again is achieved. That interval length is also very critical.

GEAR LIST

archer1960
Goldmember
4,930 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Jul 2010

Sep 17, 2014 13:30 |  #745

Canonised wrote in post #17161181 (external link)

Then set it to slow burst speed; it's configurable in the 7DII.

Gripped 7D, gripped, full-spectrum modfied T1i (500D), SX50HS, A2E film body, Tamzooka (150-600), Tamron 90mm/2.8 VC (ver 2), Tamron 18-270 VC, Canon FD 100 f/4.0 macro, Canon 24-105 f/4L,Canon EF 200 f/2.8LII, Canon 85 f/1.8, Tamron Adaptall 2 90mmf/2.5 Macro, Tokina 11-16, Canon EX-430 flash, Vivitar DF-383 flash, Astro-Tech AT6RC and Celestron NexStar 102 GT telescopes, various other semi-crappy manual lenses and stuff.

mikeinctown
Goldmember
2,104 posts
Joined May 2012

Sep 17, 2014 13:41 |  #746

I'm kind of liking the price point. After some time we'll be able to buy it for $1200 or less after rebates. I hope the ISO range doesn't go to crap after 1600 even though the claim is high ISO range.

Canonised
Goldmember
1,269 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Sep 17, 2014 13:47 |  #747

archer1960 wrote in post #17161311 (external link)
Then set it to slow burst speed; it's configurable in the 7DII.

Oh.. I did not know that. Thats useful. Anyway, if anyone is able to find out the write speed and if its the same or as fast as the 1Dx it would be a real serious advantage.

GEAR LIST

Bsmooth
861 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Sep 17, 2014 13:49 as a reply to  @ mikeinctown's post |  #748

Other than the better AF, whats the great difference between this and the 70D? I'm sure the build quality is better, but If those are the major differences, isn't that a bit underwhelming ?

Bruce

lovemyram4x4
Goldmember
2,198 posts
Gallery: 97 photos
Best ofs: 3
Joined Mar 2013

Sep 17, 2014 13:51 |  #749

Doesn't the buffer spec have note saying that when using udma 7 cards? If that' the case you're only going to see slight variances do to actual write speeds of the CF card you use.

wernersl
Goldmember
1,944 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Sep 17, 2014 13:59 |  #750

Well I havent been on the forums in quite some time. Thought I would drop by and check out the buzz on the 7DII announcement. Looks like a lot of pissed off people already and a production model isnt even in a consumers hands yet. To me this looks like a very viable up/side grade. You see, I still make money in my spare time with a *gasp* original 5D. Shooting at 1600 ISO is a scary thing with that camera these days, what with the equipment my competitors are shooting with, yet customers are still really happy with the results I produce. I have had one customer in 7 years complain about noise, as we shot his kids birthday in a dark ass Indian Cuisine restaurant. A simple response of, sir if youd like I can destroy all of the detail for you and run some heavy noise reduction on each file, or you can print one image at 8x10 and let me know what you think. He actually apologized after the print came out and has booked a few more times since then. Im thinking the fear of noise is a bit out of hand.

Anyway, long story short, this would be an amazing step up even though it is not full frame. And at only 1800 bucks! much less than the 2600 I paid almost 7 years ago for my old 5D. Consider inflation over 7 years and salary increases from my real job....BARGAIN! Sure hope the AF lives up to their hype. Now off to convince the wife as to why we need this new camera!

Thanks

Shawn l Gear
Mamarazzi Photography (external link)
Wife owns the biz...I just shoot the weddings!

sponsored links

286,293 views & 0 likes for this thread
Canon officially announces the 7D Mark II
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.