Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 15 Sep 2014 (Monday) 07:05
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Canon officially announces the 7D Mark II

brianodell
Mostly Lurking
17 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Sep 17, 2014 16:10 |  #766

If I had to pick one area, I would say that I enjoy shooting portraits more than anything else.

sponsored links
hokiealumnus
914 posts
Gallery: 69 photos
Joined Jan 2014

Sep 17, 2014 16:11 |  #767

Yes, it's an assumption, but it's still APS-C vs. FF. Unless Canon has really and truly reinvented the wheel, this sensor will not have the same low light capability of their FF sensors. If it did, there would be absolutely no reason to purchase a 1DX. The 7DII is going to be an amazing camera, don't get me wrong...but don't get your hopes up thinking it will be able to keep up with a FF sensor when it comes to noise at high ISO.

Canon 70D - First Impressions & Review'ish Thread
Neewer BG-1T Battery Grip for 70D Review
Flickr Gallery (external link) | My Gear
The wanting never ends. The budget ends, oh yes, but not the wanting.

Lone ­ Rider
Goldmember
1,349 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Sep 17, 2014 16:15 |  #768

hokiealumnus wrote in post #17161651 (external link)
Yes, it's an assumption, but it's still APS-C vs. FF. Unless Canon has really and truly reinvented the wheel, this sensor will not have the same low light capability of their FF sensors. If it did, there would be absolutely no reason to purchase a 1DX. The 7DII is going to be an amazing camera, don't get me wrong...but don't get your hopes up thinking it will be able to keep up with a FF sensor when it comes to noise at high ISO.

Well said. Canon made very little mention of its sensor capabilities in its media release which speaks volumes.

Once people realise it won't perform well in low light / high ISO complaints will roll in.

Trevor

tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Gallery: 60 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Sep 17, 2014 16:16 |  #769

hokiealumnus wrote in post #17161651 (external link)

Hey, it's always a tradeoff! There are reasons why many of us hold on to both crop and ff bodies!

Tony
Two Canon cameras (5DC, 30D), three Canon lenses (24-105, 100-400, 100mm macro)
Tony Long Photos on PBase (external link)
Wildlife project pics here (external link), Biking Photog shoots here (external link), "Suburbia" project here (external link)! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics here (external link)

2n10
Cream of the Crop
17,070 posts
Gallery: 79 photos
Joined Sep 2012

Sep 17, 2014 16:19 |  #770

brianodell wrote in post #17161648 (external link)
If I had to pick one area, I would say that I enjoy shooting portraits more than anything else.

Get the 6D. It's sensor is better for the lighting conditions.

John
Equipment
My Portfolio (external link)

Azathoth
" ...whose name no lips dare speak aloud"
1,498 posts
Gallery: 656 photos
Best ofs: 6
Joined Jul 2012

Sep 17, 2014 16:26 |  #771

Aressem wrote in post #17161620 (external link)
That's like asking who is a better fighter. GSP or Bigfoot? They're in a league of their own. You really can't compare the two at all.

So Bigfoot=6D, GSP=7Dmk2. 5Dmk3 is who? Cain? :D

500px (external link) | flickr (external link) | Facebook (external link) | Instagram (external link)

Brian_R
Goldmember
2,656 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Sep 17, 2014 16:38 |  #772

Aressem wrote in post #17161633 (external link)
Another assumption as we still do not know what the 7D II's sensor is really capable of yet.

actually we do know what its capable of. it will be capable of converting lighting into digital signals that make up what we call a photograph :rolleyes:

Brian_R
Goldmember
2,656 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Sep 17, 2014 16:40 |  #773

brianodell wrote in post #17161648 (external link)

if by portraits you mean people running around kicking or passing ball shaped objects in things some call organized sports then the 7D, 7DmkII, any older 1D camera, or the new 1DX will work.

otherwise if youre talking about normal portraits then a 6D will be a standout camera for the price

hollis_f
Cream of the Crop
10,649 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jul 2007

Sep 17, 2014 16:42 |  #774

Bsmooth wrote in post #17161345 (external link)
Other than the better AF, whats the great difference between this and the 70D? I

Yup. Apart from the vastly better AF, the better build quality, the much better ergonomics, the faster frame rate, the larger buffer, the dual cards, the better weather sealing, the better low-light performance, the AE linked to AF point, the 61 AF points, the roads, sewerage, law and order, etc...

What has the 7DII ever done for us?

Frank Hollis - Retired mass spectroscopist
Give a man a fish and he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he'll complain about the withdrawal of his free fish entitlement.
Gear Website (external link)

Brian_R
Goldmember
2,656 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Sep 17, 2014 16:56 |  #775

hollis_f wrote in post #17161707 (external link)
Yup. Apart from the vastly better AF, the better build quality, the much better ergonomics, the faster frame rate, the larger buffer, the dual cards, the better weather sealing, the better low-light performance, the AE linked to AF point, the 61 AF points, the roads, sewerage, law and order, etc...

it hasnt done anything for us yet except tease our wallets

Aressem
Goldmember
4,364 posts
Gallery: 39 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2009

Sep 17, 2014 17:12 |  #776

Brian_R wrote in post #17161734 (external link)
it hasnt done anything for us yet except tease our wallets

Tease? Hah. It stole from mine. :p

That's ok. I bought it locally from a rental shop and they threw in a $100 rental voucher. On top of that, it was cheaper for me to buy locally than to order from BH. A lot cheaper. And to put the cherry on the cake, I bought the combo with the 24-70 f/4 IS for only $399 canadian which I fully intend on flipping. So that's a profit of $700 (give or take), meaning I really DIDN'T spend that much on my 7D II ;)

Ryan Mackay WEBSITE (external link) | FACEBOOK (external link) | GEAR LIST | Buy & Sell Feedback: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5

brianodell
Mostly Lurking
17 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Sep 17, 2014 17:19 |  #777

Brian_R wrote in post #17161703 (external link)
if by portraits you mean people running around kicking or passing ball shaped objects in things some call organized sports then the 7D, 7DmkII, any older 1D camera, or the new 1DX will work.

otherwise if youre talking about normal portraits then a 6D will be a standout camera for the price

normal.

Thanks!

outmywindow
672 posts
Joined Jan 2013

Sep 17, 2014 17:21 |  #778

Aressem wrote in post #17161764 (external link)
Tease? Hah. It stole from mine. :p

That's ok. I bought it locally from a rental shop and they threw in a $100 rental voucher. On top of that, it was cheaper for me to buy locally than to order from BH. A lot cheaper. And to put the cherry on the cake, I bought the combo with the 24-70 f/4 IS for only $399 canadian which I fully intend on flipping. So that's a profit of $700 (give or take), meaning I really DIDN'T spend that much on my 7D II ;)

Hmm, that's actually not too shabby considering everything you're getting together. :) Just don't fall in love with that 24-70 for too long! ;)

Just a soul with a camera

TustinMike
Goldmember
3,760 posts
Gallery: 63 photos
Joined Feb 2011

Sep 17, 2014 17:31 |  #779

Ha, right !

I feel I'm sick and tired of this camera and I probably won't even have mine for at least a couple of months! :)

All New Year, All New Sig !

i-G12
Wat?
1,805 posts
Gallery: 110 photos
Joined Feb 2011

Sep 17, 2014 18:05 |  #780

That does it. I'm not getting one. :mrgreen:

sponsored links

286,565 views & 0 likes for this thread
Canon officially announces the 7D Mark II
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.