Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 12 Sep 2014 (Friday) 16:05
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Canon 24-105 loosening up when pointed down

Jiggo0109
376 posts
Gallery: 16 photos
Joined Sep 2013

Sep 16, 2014 23:29 |  #31

Mine were turned a half quarter turns and there was an improvement (a little). It stays on wide zoom but when the lens is shaken when walking, it creeps half way. I do not want to go further, I am afraid of damaging some internal parts on it. Guess I still have to do the safest way... lensbands. :-)

EdIT: Out of the topic. I already took off the front elements glass of my 24 105 for cleaning before. Will clean it again and try to figure out if there is another way to tighten it up. I'm confident on removing the front glass but when it comes to little screws (especially if I do not the reasons fo them being there), I tend to back off very often. Cheers.

sponsored links
Jiggo0109
376 posts
Joined Sep 2013

Sep 17, 2014 21:16 |  #32

I have watched a youtube video about disassembling the canon 50 1.4. A part of it is discussed on the railings and guides of the barrel. Here,s whwt I suspect. The screws were the ones holding the plastic guides along the barrel railings, so for those who were successful might have turned the plastic guides as well when they tightened the screws. I am thinking that if Ill loosen the screws a bit and turn the white plastics we see on the hole might increase the friction between the railings and guides. But something is holding me back, I do not know how short the screws are and I fear from accidentally detaching them if I loosen the screws. These is only my assumption, I dont want you guys think that it is the solution. If you'll carefully look at the video, the screws and plastic that we see on the hole are somehow similar in appearance. Again, it is only my assumption. Here is the link of the video.
http://www.youtube.com​/watch?v=ED0DQpVnTuM (external link)

Reservoir ­ Dog
A Band Apart
3,279 posts
Gallery: 469 photos
Best ofs: 9
Joined Jan 2013

Sep 17, 2014 21:30 |  #33

We can see here where are the screw to tighten >> far inside the barrel :(
https://www.youtube.co​m/watch?v=hFR7ZG341kQ (external link)
https://www.youtube.co​m/watch?v=mRUTrNoDD1M (external link)

150 Free online photos editing application (external link) / 100 Free Desktop Photo Editor Software (external link) / Free Photography eBooks (external link) / My photography blog (external link)

Jiggo0109
376 posts
Joined Sep 2013

Sep 18, 2014 04:35 |  #34

Reservoir Dog wrote in post #17162166 (external link)
We can see here where are the screw to tighten >> far inside the barrel :(
https://www.youtube.co​m/watch?v=hFR7ZG341kQ (external link)
https://www.youtube.co​m/watch?v=mRUTrNoDD1M (external link)

I have no guts on that... I am very curious of the purposes of the screws on the focusing ring. But I guess I really have to deal with lensband alone. :(

Reservoir ­ Dog
A Band Apart
3,279 posts
Gallery: 469 photos
Best ofs: 9
Joined Jan 2013

Sep 18, 2014 04:44 |  #35

Jiggo0109 wrote in post #17162584 (external link)
I have no guts on that... I am very curious of the purposes of the screws on the focusing ring. But I guess I really have to deal with lensband alone. :(

Me too, and i'm sure i will not be able to put it back or strangely i will have to much screw left on the table when finished to mount it :lol: ... so for me lensband too ;)

150 Free online photos editing application (external link) / 100 Free Desktop Photo Editor Software (external link) / Free Photography eBooks (external link) / My photography blog (external link)

Phoenixkh
a mere speck
6,837 posts
Gallery: 67 photos
Joined May 2011

Sep 18, 2014 11:27 |  #36

I tried the lens band and hated it. It was hard to move on and off at a given focal length so it was difficult to get it to lock right where I wanted it. That's why I use the two O-ring method I mentioned above. The small O ring stays in the groove... and the larger O-ring rolls in and against the smaller one. It gives a positive lock in any zoom position.

I use a 2 3/16x2x3/32--- #89 O-ring for the small one and a Culligan OR-233 for the large one. You can get both at most Ace hardware stores or most any other good hardware store.

Another advantage: you have to look real close to even see they are there.

Kim (the male variety) Canon 1DX2 | 1D IV | 16-35 f/4 IS | 24-105 f/4 IS | 100L IS macro | 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II | 100-400Lii | 50 f/1.8 STM | Canon 1.4X III
RRS tripod and monopod | 580EXII | Cinch 1 & Loop 3 Special Edition | Editing Encouraged

neilgcart
143 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Sep 18, 2014 16:21 |  #37

I enquired with Canon to see if the Zoom creep could be corrected on the 24-105 and if it was normal and was told it could be corrected if the lens was sent for servicing. A small fortune later the lens came back with worse creep than it had before servicing, it went back to them again and came back no better. Further conversation with the service agent was along the lines that it was tightened as much as it could be within permitted tolerances and creep was normal so the message is clear lens creep on the 24-105 can not be cured. It would also suggest that tightening any screws yourself to the point where creep stopped would be beyond the recommended tolerance limits so is probably a very bad idea. It cost me a small fortune to get to this point so the two lessons are, the 24-105 will creep live with it or use a lens band, and do not take at face value what a Canon rep tells you. They gave me a false steer resulting in an expensive and totally unnecessary servicing bill!

Neil

virginie24jb
THREAD ­ STARTER
893 posts
Gallery: 21 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2013
Post edited over 4 years ago by virginie24jb. (2 edits in all)

May 01, 2015 06:34 |  #38

I know it's an old thread but I'm back with this as it still bothers me... I've tried the rubber wristband (the only one I have right now). Doesn't work. -?
I tried to have it at different places on the lens but nothing works.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

I don't understand why they have the Lock option on cheaper lenses and not on those... I find it to be very convenient.

Phoenixkh wrote in post #17163202 (external link)
I tried the lens band and hated it. It was hard to move on and off at a given focal length so it was difficult to get it to lock right where I wanted it. That's why I use the two O-ring method I mentioned above. The small O ring stays in the groove... and the larger O-ring rolls in and against the smaller one. It gives a positive lock in any zoom position.

I use a 2 3/16x2x3/32--- #89 O-ring for the small one and a Culligan OR-233 for the large one. You can get both at most Ace hardware stores or most any other good hardware store.

Another advantage: you have to look real close to even see they are there.

Do you have a picture to share that shows how you did this?

http://www.virginie-bitterlin.com (external link)
http://www.visiting-washington.com (external link)
500∞ (external link) - Flickr (external link)
Canon 6D, Canon T4i/650D, Canon 24-105, 18-135 IS STM, 50 f/1.8, Canon 70-200 f/4, Samyang 14mm f/2.8, Samyang 24mm f/1.4

sponsored links

10,101 views & 0 likes for this thread
Canon 24-105 loosening up when pointed down
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.