Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS News & Rumors Camera Rumors and Predictions 
Thread started 17 Sep 2014 (Wednesday) 10:57
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

The 7DMKII sensor... New or no?

Footbag
391 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Sep 17, 2014 10:57 |  #1

I'm putting this in rumors because it isn't clear from the marketing materials. I have read that the 7DMKII sensor is brand new and redesigned from the ground up. But, when I dig into the details, the only changes they point out are redesigned micro-lenses. That's not quite "redesigned from the ground up".

So there are a few possibilities...
1. Canon redesigned the sensor completely, but is only pointing out the changes in the micro-lenses. This doesn't make sense. Canon fans around the world would've cheered and sang cum-bay-yah if we had a fully redesigned sensor. There is no reason for Canon to hide it.

2. Canon only redesigned the micro-lenses from the 70D, but is hinting they redesigned it. The micro-lenses needed a redesign, but that didn't make it into the 70D. So 7DMKII buyers may benefit from this. More photons = better images. But, this is a bit dishonest on Canon's part. They know they are behind in the sensor race and pretending to redesign a sensor doesn't bode well for an industry leader.

So... Based off the initial reports, I'm going to say they only redesigned the micro-lenses; and the "redesigned sensor" is a lie. Since I'm pulling for Canon, I'd love it if someone could post links to help clear this up.

Canon knows they are behind, but I'm surprised by what I see as an outright lie. If it's the same sensor, say it is. Don't pretend. I'd love to have this thread clear this up. Even if it takes until launch.

Adam
My Astrophoto Gallery (external link)
The Astro Imaging Channel (external link)

sponsored links
Shadowblade
Cream of the Crop
5,805 posts
Gallery: 26 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Dec 2008

Sep 17, 2014 13:35 |  #2

Almost every 18MP sensor, from the 7D to the 60D to the endless parade of Rebels, was claimed to have a 'new' sensor with 'redesigned microlenses', better noise control, etc.

They all perform more-or-less identically.

2n10
Cream of the Crop
17,060 posts
Gallery: 79 photos
Joined Sep 2012

Sep 17, 2014 18:44 |  #3

You missed the part about a more transparent Bayer filter set up. Might be a bit more help.;)

John
Equipment
My Portfolio (external link)

nekrosoft13
Goldmember
4,087 posts
Gallery: 185 photos
Joined Jun 2010

Sep 17, 2014 22:11 |  #4
bannedPermanent ban

Shadowblade wrote in post #17161320 (external link)
Almost every 18MP sensor, from the 7D to the 60D to the endless parade of Rebels, was claimed to have a 'new' sensor with 'redesigned microlenses', better noise control, etc.

They all perform more-or-less identically.

exactly, don't expect miracles, I say 70D sensor with minor dual pixel tech improvement.

Gear List

Lumens
425 posts
Joined Dec 2013

Sep 18, 2014 08:34 |  #5

nekrosoft13 wrote in post #17162239 (external link)
exactly, don't expect miracles, I say 70D sensor with minor dual pixel tech improvement.

Exactly, But I don't see the issue. Overall the most advanced Crop Sensor camera out there for stills (Wildlife, BIF, and Sports) will be the 7DII and the most advanced Crop Sensor camera out there for video will be the 70D. Both have very similar sensors but with a different purpose in mind. The 7DII is a great improvement over what exists on the market today for still photography in Crop sensors. The $1799 price tag is a good price for what the camera offers.

Still a Full Frame will give better ISO performance, thus the reason I carry a 6D as well as my 7D. Both are designed for different purposes and provide advantages/disadvantag​es based on what they were designed to do. I will likely not upgrade my 7D as the 6D performs quite well for what I do, The 7D comes out when the light is good and I need the reach. That would remain the same if I upgraded to the 7DII.

FUJI XT-2 & FUJI XT-3 ->
12mm Roki, 16 f1.4, 35 f1.4, 56 f1.2, 80 Macro
10-24, 18-55, 55-200, 100-400

Footbag
THREAD ­ STARTER
391 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Sep 18, 2014 08:45 |  #6

2n10 wrote in post #17161910 (external link)
You missed the part about a more transparent Bayer filter set up. Might be a bit more help.;)

??? What are you referring to?

Adam
My Astrophoto Gallery (external link)
The Astro Imaging Channel (external link)

Shadowblade
Cream of the Crop
5,805 posts
Gallery: 26 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Dec 2008

Sep 18, 2014 08:56 |  #7

Lumens wrote in post #17162858 (external link)
Exactly, But I don't see the issue. Overall the most advanced Crop Sensor camera out there for stills (Wildlife, BIF, and Sports) will be the 7DII and the most advanced Crop Sensor camera out there for video will be the 70D. Both have very similar sensors but with a different purpose in mind. The 7DII is a great improvement over what exists on the market today for still photography in Crop sensors. The $1799 price tag is a good price for what the camera offers.

Still a Full Frame will give better ISO performance, thus the reason I carry a 6D as well as my 7D. Both are designed for different purposes and provide advantages/disadvantag​es based on what they were designed to do. I will likely not upgrade my 7D as the 6D performs quite well for what I do, The 7D comes out when the light is good and I need the reach. That would remain the same if I upgraded to the 7DII.

That depends how much you value the sensor over how much you value the rest of the camera.

And it's only there by default because Nikon hasn't updated the D300s.

If they see fit to release a D310 or D400, it'll likely have the same AF system as the D810 and D4s (their top-of-the-line crop system has always had their top AF system) and a 24MP 1.5x crop Exmor, and it's game over for the Canon body all over again, despite the camera's non-sensor features being on par with anything else on the market at the moment.

All because their sensor architecture's 6-7 years behind everyone else.

Lumens
425 posts
Joined Dec 2013

Sep 18, 2014 14:07 |  #8

Shadowblade wrote in post #17162893 (external link)
That depends how much you value the sensor over how much you value the rest of the camera.

And it's only there by default because Nikon hasn't updated the D300s.

If they see fit to release a D310 or D400, it'll likely have the same AF system as the D810 and D4s (their top-of-the-line crop system has always had their top AF system) and a 24MP 1.5x crop Exmor, and it's game over for the Canon body all over again, despite the camera's non-sensor features being on par with anything else on the market at the moment.

All because their sensor architecture's 6-7 years behind everyone else.

OK, there I go again not being specific enough to say what I mean. Should have read "most advanced Canon Crop Sensor camera".

I only concern myself with one brand. I am not rich enough to afford keeping up with two or more :)

FUJI XT-2 & FUJI XT-3 ->
12mm Roki, 16 f1.4, 35 f1.4, 56 f1.2, 80 Macro
10-24, 18-55, 55-200, 100-400

bsmotril
Goldmember
2,516 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Feb 2006

Sep 18, 2014 14:48 |  #9

Some of what makes up the signal path from the sensor is not actually on the sensor (In Canons anyway). The AD convertors are off the sensor chip, and one of the reasons Canon has higher noise at base ISOs, and banding when shadows are pulled way up. It would be relatively easy to make improvements there with better thermal management, and better balancing of the read channel line levels (like Nikon does). I'm just trying to make a point that there are other things outside of the sensor itself that can be beneficial to IQ.

Gear List
Galleries: http://www.flickr.com/​photos/smopho/ (external link) --- http://billsmotrilla.z​enfolio.com/ (external link)

howiewu
627 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Sep 19, 2014 01:09 |  #10

The comparisons are trickling in ... In short the sensor is the same as the 70D's.

5DII, 70D
17-40mm f/4 USM L, 24-70mm f/4 IS USM L, 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6 IS USM L, 24mm f/3.5 TS-E L, 35mm f/2, 50mm f/1.4 USM, 100mm f/2.8 IS USM L, 300mm f/2.8 IS USM II L, 430 EX II, 270 EX II, 1.4x TC III, 2x TC III, Kenko Pro 300 1.4x TC
Home Page: http://www.travelerath​ome.com (external link), Blog: http://travelerathome.​wordpress.com (external link)

Bud ­ Spencer
Mostly Lurking
18 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Sep 19, 2014 11:51 |  #11

howiewu wrote in post #17164624 (external link)
The comparisons are trickling in ... In short the sensor is the same as the 70D's.

Got any links ?

Gobble is somewhat confusing today...

Ta in advance,

Buddy

howiewu
627 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Sep 19, 2014 13:57 |  #12

Bud Spencer wrote in post #17165377 (external link)
Got any links ?

Gobble is somewhat confusing today...

Ta in advance,

Buddy

http://www.fredmiranda​.com/forum/topic/13190​11 (external link)

5DII, 70D
17-40mm f/4 USM L, 24-70mm f/4 IS USM L, 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6 IS USM L, 24mm f/3.5 TS-E L, 35mm f/2, 50mm f/1.4 USM, 100mm f/2.8 IS USM L, 300mm f/2.8 IS USM II L, 430 EX II, 270 EX II, 1.4x TC III, 2x TC III, Kenko Pro 300 1.4x TC
Home Page: http://www.travelerath​ome.com (external link), Blog: http://travelerathome.​wordpress.com (external link)

sponsored links

2,852 views & 0 likes for this thread
The 7DMKII sensor... New or no?
FORUMS News & Rumors Camera Rumors and Predictions 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.