Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 18 Sep 2014 (Thursday) 00:08
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Original 5D

woollyback
926 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Oct 2005

Sep 18, 2014 00:08 |  #1

A while back I was thinking about moving 7d to 5d3 but with announcement of 7d2 it may be I wait a while.

Question is for a cheap full frame for messing about with how's does the original 5D stack up.

It will be landscape and portrait duty and probably with 17-40 and new 35 f2 is.

I can probably get a clean one for about £350ish in uk.

I know it won't have all bells and whistles but really just interested in iq

Any thoughts please?

Rob

sponsored links
Cesium
Goldmember
1,967 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Sep 18, 2014 01:07 |  #2

Still a great camera.

Thorrulz
Goldmember
3,762 posts
Gallery: 20 photos
Joined Jan 2009

Sep 18, 2014 02:08 |  #3

Very good image quality. The 5D was one of my favorites.

Flickr (external link)
D800 I Nikon 200 f2 VR 1 I Nikon 200 f2 ED AI-S I Nikon 135 f2 DC I Nikon 28-70 f/2.8 I Nikon 50 f/1.4G I Nikon 85 f/1.8G I Pentax 645D I SMC FA 645 75 F2.8 I SMC FA 645 45-85 F4.5 I SMC FA 645 200 F4
My sister, the professional baker and cake decorator once told me that my camera takes great pics. My reply was that I thought her oven baked great cakes.:lol:

tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Gallery: 60 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Sep 18, 2014 02:52 |  #4

The 5D Classic is, well, a Classic.

But look at the 6D.

Tony
Two Canon cameras (5DC, 30D), three Canon lenses (24-105, 100-400, 100mm macro)
Tony Long Photos on PBase (external link)
Wildlife project pics here (external link), Biking Photog shoots here (external link), "Suburbia" project here (external link)! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics here (external link)

MalVeauX
"Looks rough and well used"
13,163 posts
Gallery: 1633 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Feb 2013

Sep 18, 2014 03:14 |  #5

Heya,

I still shoot a 5D classic. Great for portrait. It's all I use it for. Has that look that hasn't really been replicated, if you like that more film-like look. There's just something about the 5D's files.

I wouldn't get it for landscape. I do tons of landscape, and I use my APS-C's for it instead. Live View is a big deal to me in landscape. And higher resolution is also very helpful when doing landscapes. So I don't use mine for landscape at all. Purely portrait at this point with my 5D. My landscape, macro, wildlife, astro, etc, are all done on APS-C's instead.

Very best,

My Flickr (external link) :: My Astrobin (external link)

woollyback
THREAD ­ STARTER
926 posts
Joined Oct 2005

Sep 18, 2014 12:51 |  #6

Thank you folks looks like it could be worth a go :)

kf095
Cream of the Crop
6,429 posts
Gallery: 9 photos
Joined Dec 2009

Sep 18, 2014 13:05 as a reply to  @ woollyback's post |  #7

It is little bit more hard with small screen of 5Dc to observe the whole landscape picture.
I zoom in to check focus at portraits.
Didn't liked 17-40L for landscapes. Too much distortions at the wide end. To me best landscapes are distortions free.
Sold the lens, keeping 5Dc, mostly for 50L, where this lens shines and this focal length fully belongs to.

Old Site (external link). M-E and ME blog (external link). Film Flickr (external link). my DigitaL and AnaLog Gear.

davidmtml
848 posts
Joined Jun 2012

Sep 18, 2014 15:28 |  #8

I have an original 5d, a 7d, and a 60d. I reach for the 5d more often than either of the others.

modestglock26
293 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Apr 2014

Sep 18, 2014 15:59 |  #9

davidmtml,

I know this has probably been beaten to death but as someone on a public safety employee budget, I'm taking my time before making a purchase or trade mistake.

I currently have a 40d (gifted to me so I will be keeping it just due to personal reasons), and a 5d. I am really having the urge to trade off the 5d for a 60d or 7d since they are coming down in price but I'm 100% decided yet. I don't know why but I'm really having the urge to try something newer tech wise, but I see posts like yours and I go back to being unsure. I was recently offered a 7d for my 5d, and it's a temptation to be honest. Having the 60d and 7d at your disposal, what would you say keeps you drawn to the 5d?

I know, such a typical A vs B question, but I'm really torn at the moment. I know I can get a used 60d online for $5-600 and the 7d for slightly more. Again, not sure just buying one wouldn't be possible, I just don't know if my needs would require having 3 bodies again.

Sony A7ii and a Ricoh GR II with just about no skill

Numenorean
Cream of the Crop
5,013 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Sep 18, 2014 16:07 |  #10

Why would the release of a 7D II preclude you from getting a 5D III?

Gear List

gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
29,136 posts
Gallery: 18 photos
Joined Dec 2006

Sep 18, 2014 16:12 |  #11

New tech is only an improvement if you use/need it what I mean is the improvement isnt so much in image quality, in fact the xxd line might be a step back or sideways. But upgrades to the
LCD, menu system, live view, flash controls, dust shaker are nice, but if you are doing portraits or landscapes you may find those things less valuable than for other uses. I guess my point is be wary of chasing tech for the wrong reasons. If the new features help you then go for it.

Brendo666
Goldmember
1,538 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Sep 18, 2014 16:39 |  #12

Love my 5D Classic! Bought it after i had my 1D III for a while and actually thinking of getting another just to have two of the same body when doing some shoots.

-Brendan B.
Graphic Designer | Photographer
5D III | 5D III | Σ 35 1.4 Art | 35 1.4L | 85 1.8 | 100 2.8L | 135 2L
Website (external link) | Flickr (external link) | 500px (external link) | Instagram (external link)

modestglock26
293 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Apr 2014

Sep 18, 2014 16:44 |  #13

gonzogolf wrote in post #17163761 (external link)
New tech is only an improvement if you use/need it what I mean is the improvement isnt so much in image quality, in fact the xxd line might be a step back or sideways. But upgrades to the
LCD, menu system, live view, flash controls, dust shaker are nice, but if you are doing portraits or landscapes you may find those things less valuable than for other uses. I guess my point is be wary of chasing tech for the wrong reasons. If the new features help you then go for it.

I'm not great no matter what I shoot so the better IQ probably helps me most. I think I like the newer tech features on the 40d when compared to the 5d, but I guess since it's all just for fun the older screen on the 5d isn't a real reason to leave it. I think I just fear the 5d eventually crapping out on me and at that point I'll either be forced to upgrade, or to hunt down another used 5d online.

Sony A7ii and a Ricoh GR II with just about no skill

gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
29,136 posts
Gallery: 18 photos
Joined Dec 2006

Sep 18, 2014 16:51 |  #14

modestglock26 wrote in post #17163827 (external link)
I'm not great no matter what I shoot so the better IQ probably helps me most. I think I like the newer tech features on the 40d when compared to the 5d, but I guess since it's all just for fun the older screen on the 5d isn't a real reason to leave it. I think I just fear the 5d eventually crapping out on me and at that point I'll either be forced to upgrade, or to hunt down another used 5d online.

I have a 40D, bought a used 5D. The 40D gathers dust unless I need the extra reach and focus speed for sports. Ive since added a 5DII and its hard to tell the 5DII images from the 5DC in terms of IQ.

mzondeki
878 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Oct 2008

Sep 18, 2014 19:00 |  #15

If 5Dc's screen bothers you, take the inspiration from recently announced new Leica M.

RX100V, A7 + Contax Zeiss [28/2.8, 50/1.4, 100/2, 135/2.8]
https://www.flickr.com​/photos/53182994@N06/ (external link)

sponsored links

3,710 views & 0 likes for this thread
Original 5D
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.