Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Computers 
Thread started 18 Sep 2014 (Thursday) 16:25
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

External HD recommendations ?

Absolutely ­ Fabulous
Goldmember
1,699 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Sep 18, 2014 16:25 |  #1

I just had one of mine (the one with time machine sadly) start the click of death sound.

I'm curious if there is an "ideal" brand/model at the moment?

Not hip on tech news so no idea which ones are better to stay away from

Cheers for the help

http://www.belovedlove​photography.com (external link)my website (external link)

sponsored links
Lenty007
221 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined May 2006

Sep 19, 2014 02:39 |  #2

I'm on the 7th LaCie-Porsche design external drive and they've never let me down.
But, as with all machinal driven devices, a failure is always waiting around the corner!
Just a fact to be aware of and to live with.
Redundance is the sollution.
Good luck.
Greeting,
Alain

FerozeK
250 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Sep 19, 2014 03:34 |  #3

All drives fail, its just a matter of time. Ive had better luck with buying a desktop drive and an after market enclosure. Everybody has their personal favorite brand but the western digital RE or black drives have stood me well though the seagate's seem to be the quietest, strange since they the same company.

Absolutely ­ Fabulous
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,699 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Sep 19, 2014 04:55 |  #4

Lenty007 wrote in post #17164704 (external link)
I'm on the 7th LaCie-Porsche design external drive and they've never let me down.
But, as with all machinal driven devices, a failure is always waiting around the corner!
Just a fact to be aware of and to live with.
Redundance is the sollution.
Good luck.
Greeting,
Alain

FerozeK wrote in post #17164740 (external link)
All drives fail, its just a matter of time. Ive had better luck with buying a desktop drive and an after market enclosure. Everybody has their personal favorite brand but the western digital RE or black drives have stood me well though the seagate's seem to be the quietest, strange since they the same company.

Yes you are both right, we have 2 dead disks this week, funny how it goes (one was a dropped laptop by my child)

http://www.belovedlove​photography.com (external link)my website (external link)

benji25
Goldmember
1,034 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Jan 2010

Sep 19, 2014 11:02 |  #5

Absolutely Fabulous wrote in post #17164787 (external link)
Yes you are both right, we have 2 dead disks this week, funny how it goes (one was a dropped laptop by my child)

Don't you mean your spouse's child? I thought parents only claimed they were "their" kids when they did good things and said it was their spouses kid when they did bad things?

Website (external link)
flickr (external link)

Absolutely ­ Fabulous
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,699 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Sep 19, 2014 11:59 |  #6

benji25 wrote in post #17165290 (external link)
Don't you mean your spouse's child? I thought parents only claimed they were "their" kids when they did good things and said it was their spouses kid when they did bad things?

Somehow she is always mine :lol:

Had already spent a mint fixing the screen earlier in the year, so yeah not too happy with it being dead..... again

Merlin_AZ
869 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Sep 19, 2014 14:46 |  #7

I've had good results with Western Digital, and they just came out with ones with SD card slots and WiFi, so you can back up cards in the field and view on tablets.

tim
Light Bringer
50,973 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Sep 19, 2014 15:40 |  #8

FerozeK wrote in post #17164740 (external link)

This is what I do. I've had good luck with Seagate and WD, though Hitachi are meant to be the most reliable from memory.

Professional wedding photographer, solution architect and general technical guy with multiple Amazon Web Services certifications.
Read all my FAQs (wedding, printing, lighting, books, etc)

frugivore
Goldmember
3,089 posts
Gallery: 11 photos
Joined Aug 2010

Sep 19, 2014 15:48 |  #9

I bought this one:

http://www.bhphotovide​o.com …drivestation_dd​r_usb.html (external link)

It is said to transfer lots of small files very quickly.

WookieeGunner
52 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2014

Sep 19, 2014 16:07 |  #10

One thing I would be worried about that one is to make sure all the files are completely transferred before powering it off. With a Gig of cache in the unit you could have 40-50 (or maybe more) raw files sitting in RAM still when your computer thinks it is done transferring.

WesternGuy
774 posts
Joined Jul 2006

Sep 25, 2014 01:32 |  #11

Absolutely Fabulous wrote in post #17163794 (external link)
I just had one of mine (the one with time machine sadly) start the click of death sound.

I'm curious if there is an "ideal" brand/model at the moment?

Not hip on tech news so no idea which ones are better to stay away from

Cheers for the help

I have two Buffalo Ultra Fast USB 3.0 Hard Drives (2 Tb capacity each) and they work very well. They have a 1GB DDR3 RAM Cache for fast transfer speeds and claim to be up to 2.3 times faster than a straight USB3 connection. While I have not tested this claim, I do know that they are faster for backup and general read/write operations than the 2 Seagate 2Tb drives I have.

The Buffalo drives are referred as their "Drive Station DDR HD-GDU3" models. I am not sure if they are "ideal" or not, but they work for me. Here is a review of these drives: http://www.storagerevi​ew.com …station_ddr_rev​iew_hdgdu3 (external link) . They can be bought for less than $200 on sites like Amazon.

Hope this helps.

WesternGuy

sponsored links

1,417 views & 0 likes for this thread
External HD recommendations ?
FORUMS General Gear Talk Computers 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.