Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 18 Sep 2014 (Thursday) 00:08
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Original 5D

davesrose
Title Fairy still hasn't visited me!
3,698 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Sep 18, 2014 22:01 as a reply to  @ post 17164089 |  #16

If you're used to newer DSLRs, you may need to get accustomed to lower resolution, ISO, and DR. But if you're looking for a good budget FF camera that is capable if great photos, then the 5Dc doesn't disappoint. I'm keeping mine around as a second body/ my MF camera (have a split prism screen on mine). The only main feature I miss is a self cleaning sensor. When I used it heavily, I was always finding I needed to go into sensor cleaning mode to blow out dust.

This photo portfolio of mine is mainly all the 5Dc:

http://www.rosenberg-illustration.com/desig​n/photography.html (external link)

Canon 5D mk IV
EF 135mm 2.0L, EF 70-200mm 2.8L IS II, EF 24-70 2.8L II, EF 50mm 1.4, EF 100mm 2.8L Macro, EF 16-35mm 4L IS, Sigma 150-600mm C, 580EX, 600EX-RT, MeFoto Globetrotter tripod, grips, Black Rapid RS-7, CAMS plate and strap system, Lowepro Flipside 500 AW, and a few other things...
smugmug (external link)

sponsored links
davidmtml
848 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Jun 2012

Sep 19, 2014 00:02 |  #17

modestglock26 wrote in post #17163735 (external link)
davidmtml,

I know this has probably been beaten to death but as someone on a public safety employee budget, I'm taking my time before making a purchase or trade mistake.

I currently have a 40d (gifted to me so I will be keeping it just due to personal reasons), and a 5d. I am really having the urge to trade off the 5d for a 60d or 7d since they are coming down in price but I'm 100% decided yet. I don't know why but I'm really having the urge to try something newer tech wise, but I see posts like yours and I go back to being unsure. I was recently offered a 7d for my 5d, and it's a temptation to be honest. Having the 60d and 7d at your disposal, what would you say keeps you drawn to the 5d?

I know, such a typical A vs B question, but I'm really torn at the moment. I know I can get a used 60d online for $5-600 and the 7d for slightly more. Again, not sure just buying one wouldn't be possible, I just don't know if my needs would require having 3 bodies again.

Nothing wrong with being frugal! It sure seems to be easy to spend more money than you really want to when you visit the forums too much!

As far as why I choose the 5d...well it's hard to say haha. I know it's cliche, but there is just "something" about the look of the 5d images that is hard to describe, but very pleasing to the eye.

Another reason I choose the 5d is really just because it is FF, and that is to use my Rokinon 14mm 2.8. Only on a FF camera can I get a true ultra-wide feeling out of the 14mm.

I also find that my Tamron 70-200 2.8 is consistently sharper, and focuses more consistently on the 5d than either the 7d or 60d.

There are definitely some distinct DISadvantages to the 5D. The interface is old and clunky, fairly low Max ISO, rear LCD is terrible etc...

Myboostedgst
Goldmember
1,899 posts
Gallery: 28 photos
Joined Feb 2011

Sep 19, 2014 01:04 |  #18

modestglock26 wrote in post #17163735 (external link)
davidmtml,

I know this has probably been beaten to death but as someone on a public safety employee budget, I'm taking my time before making a purchase or trade mistake.

I currently have a 40d (gifted to me so I will be keeping it just due to personal reasons), and a 5d. I am really having the urge to trade off the 5d for a 60d or 7d since they are coming down in price but I'm 100% decided yet. I don't know why but I'm really having the urge to try something newer tech wise, but I see posts like yours and I go back to being unsure. I was recently offered a 7d for my 5d, and it's a temptation to be honest. Having the 60d and 7d at your disposal, what would you say keeps you drawn to the 5d?

I know, such a typical A vs B question, but I'm really torn at the moment. I know I can get a used 60d online for $5-600 and the 7d for slightly more. Again, not sure just buying one wouldn't be possible, I just don't know if my needs would require having 3 bodies again.

If you can trade your 5d for a 7d (in equal shape) I would in a heartbeat. The 7d is still worth quite a bit more from my searching. You could theoretically trade, and then sell/trade the 60d for another 5d if you desired.

I had the 40d and a 5d simultaneously. The 5d had a large edge in photo quality, no contest. Something about the way that the 5d renders photos. Many people say that it has a "film" like quality about the images. I agree with that fully. However, that was my first time shooting FF, so maybe I was just lusting after the new look to my photos.

I am starting to lust after a 7d as well instead of my 40d. The only thing I did not like about the 5d was the small screen. I was spoiled by newer bodies with much better screens. I have since sold my 5d and am on just my 40d. I am considering selling the 40d and picking up a 7d to see how those images compare to my old 5d (I shoot lots of motorsports). I do have a funny feeling though, that just like gonzogolf, I will only be grabbing the 7d if I need the reach or speed. Otherwise the 5d did everything I ever wanted, short of the terrible screen.

Andrew | Facebook (external link) | Flickr (external link) | Instagram (external link)
D750, 24-70, 50 1.4G, 85 1.8G, 70-200 VRII, 300 F2.8 AF
Founder of www.midwestautomotive.​net (external link)

MalVeauX
"Looks rough and well used"
13,161 posts
Gallery: 1633 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Feb 2013

Sep 19, 2014 01:25 |  #19

Myboostedgst wrote in post #17164620 (external link)
Many people say that it has a "film" like quality about the images.

It really does.

Before the 5D, and later, digital looked digital. The 5D really delivered an image that was a lot more like what we were used to with film. Even the noise/grain that the 5D renders looks more like film. The overall color and rendering just looks... different. It's not the perfectly crisp seamless transition of today's more modern sensor, like the 6D. But it's a big leap over the lesser cameras that were before it and during it's debut.

Even now people still shoot 5D's for the look.

Mine is on it's second set of shutters. I just like how it renders portraits. And the prints look fantastic from 8x10 to even some 20x30's (obviously not when looked at under a microscope).

Bought mine for $350 with a RRS l-bracket. I'd buy it again for $500 without hesitation from KEH for portrait work.

The LCD quality and size along with lack of Live View are my biggest gripes with the camera in general. But it's quality, considering the next cheapest full frame from Canon is $1100~1500 (5D2, 6D), which is over double and close to triple the cost, I can't complain too much, as I don't use Live View for portrait.

Very best,

My Flickr (external link) :: My Astrobin (external link)

gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
29,130 posts
Gallery: 14 photos
Joined Dec 2006

Sep 19, 2014 02:05 |  #20

I always considered the mediocre LCD in the 5D as a good feature. The reason was this. on my previous dslrs I was often impressed with a shot while viewing the LCD and dissapointed when I got it to the computer. With the 5D it was just the opposite, shots that seemed a bit flat and dull on the back of the camera were often amazing on the full screen.

MalVeauX
"Looks rough and well used"
13,161 posts
Gallery: 1633 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Feb 2013

Sep 19, 2014 02:19 |  #21

gonzogolf wrote in post #17164668 (external link)
I always considered the mediocre LCD in the 5D as a good feature. The reason was this. on my previous dslrs I was often impressed with a shot while viewing the LCD and dissapointed when I got it to the computer. With the 5D it was just the opposite, shots that seemed a bit flat and dull on the back of the camera were often amazing on the full screen.

You know, you're right, haha. I do that all the time. As I usually use manual focus lenses on my 5D with an EE-S screen, the LCD makes me think they're all out of focus, but when I get them on the computer, I find out they're tack sharp and in focus. I basically don't look at the LCD anymore other than the histogram sometimes.

Very best,

My Flickr (external link) :: My Astrobin (external link)

eelnoraa
Goldmember
1,798 posts
Joined May 2007

Sep 19, 2014 02:41 |  #22

I have both 5Dc and 5D3 at this moment. And before I had 7D.

5Dc vs 7D: For lower ISO, say up to 800, I prefer 5Dc over 7D. I would say 5Dc less intrusive noise pattern if you push in post. At 1600, they are about even. 5Dc is more forgiving on exposure. Obviously, 5Dc doesn't have native ISO above 3200. For color, I think 7D has more accurate white balance. 5Dc tent to be warmer. But I prefer 5Dc color over 7D.

I dont shoot fast moving subject often. I prefer 5Dc over all crop up to (including) 7D/60D generation. I have no experience with 70D or 7Dii.

5Dc vs 5D3: There isn't much comparison here. 5D3 is an overall better body in every aspect. Lower noise at every ISO, more accurate WB and better color. But it is also a lot more expansive.

5Di, 5Diii, 28, 50, 85, 16-35II, 24-105, 70-200F2.8 IS

wakarimasen
79 posts
Gallery: 11 photos
Joined Oct 2007

Sep 19, 2014 05:14 |  #23

I just bought one recently for £350 from London Camera Exchange. Great camera!

tap tap tap...

Bloosman
Hatchling
4 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Sep 19, 2014 07:15 as a reply to  @ wakarimasen's post |  #24

Hi guys...

Been reading this article with interest...

I have a 30D which I bought shortly after they were released, and which has served me well for the type of photography I do (mainly landscapes), and which I use almost entirely with vintage lenses via adapters.

However, about a year ago I managed to mark the sensor surface with some injudicious cleaning and this is now visible with dark images, or when I stop the lens down passed about f16...:oops:

So I was thinking of making another purchase soon and, as I would dearly love a full frame to make better use of my wide angle prime, I did wonder about picking up a 5D classic…

This post has made my mind up for me I reckon…

The 30D and 5D mkI appear to be the same layout, with the same controls, same LCD and the same DIGIC II processor, but with 12.8 MP instead of 8.2 MP of the 30D, so the familiarity appeals to me.

Also, all the bells, whistles and Live View etc. which are included with the newer brigade are things I don't use just now, so I guess that means I can actually live without them and save some pennies…???

Dougie.

Canon 30D, Jupiter 11a 135mm f4 (KOMZ), Mir-1B 37mm, f2.8 (Vologda)

modestglock26
293 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Apr 2014

Sep 19, 2014 07:20 |  #25

davidmtml wrote in post #17164561 (external link)
Nothing wrong with being frugal! It sure seems to be easy to spend more money than you really want to when you visit the forums too much!

As far as why I choose the 5d...well it's hard to say haha. I know it's cliche, but there is just "something" about the look of the 5d images that is hard to describe, but very pleasing to the eye.

Another reason I choose the 5d is really just because it is FF, and that is to use my Rokinon 14mm 2.8. Only on a FF camera can I get a true ultra-wide feeling out of the 14mm.

I also find that my Tamron 70-200 2.8 is consistently sharper, and focuses more consistently on the 5d than either the 7d or 60d.

There are definitely some distinct DISadvantages to the 5D. The interface is old and clunky, fairly low Max ISO, rear LCD is terrible etc...

I know it has that certain "something" to it and I am a fan of it, I just haven't owned anything newer in a DSLR that would really give me a good feel for the difference I'd be seeing. I guess the 40d provides that contrast vs the 5d, but the offer of the 7d had me thinking. I'd like to have the option for bigger prints and the 7d would make that a little easier being 18mp, but all the new tech it is also has me doing a lot of "what if" in my head.

Every time I go out looking to get hands on something at a store I can't really find the slightly older models that I can afford. I head to a big box place that claims they sell the 7d or 60d online, but I can never go get real hands on experience with them. I like the 7d frame being similar to what my hands know, but I can't say I'd hate the lighter plastic 60d with the flip out screen. I was thinking the 7d trade would be in my favor but I also read a bit about people not being happy with the noise and ISO performance.

I just need to start playing the lotto. I can't imagine having something like the 5d mmiii to compare.

Sony A7ii and a Ricoh GR II with just about no skill

sandpiper
Cream of the Crop
7,171 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2006

Sep 19, 2014 08:13 as a reply to  @ modestglock26's post |  #26

I have had a 5Dc for about 9 years now, I still use it despite also having a 40D and a 5D mkIII.

As others have said, there is something about the look of the images, particularly with portraits, that other cameras don't quite give you. Yes, it has its drawbacks, the AF is not as amazing as the mkIII and it can't do the low light work as well, but used within its comfort zone the prints are just as good, IQ wise, as the mkIII prints.

I don't plan on getting rid of my "classic", and should it ever fail on me I would probably get another one to replace it.

Woollyback, you don't say where you are in the UK. However, I am guessing that you may not be far from me, possibly St. Helens / Wigan area? If so, you are welcome to come over to Southport and have a play with my 5Dc, if you want to get a feel for using one.

Stav_98
Goldmember
1,054 posts
Joined Sep 2005

Sep 19, 2014 13:28 |  #27

This all looks very familiar :)

Do it, do it, do it!

I recently posted a similar thread as I fancied giving a FF camera a go; I've been using a 30D since 2006 and had a 300D prior to that. I picked up a used 5D with six months warranty for £400 delivered and am delighted with it. The IQ out of the camera is to my eye brilliant, as a camera it ... well does what it does very well. I don't miss all the bells and whistles of the new releases as I don't do video etc. Also I have cheap glass so it's pointless for me to go spend thousands on the latest and greatest body. As for some of its 'features' being slow...well that just means I have to plan my shots better and not click and hope.

I wouldn't think twice in recommending a 5D to anybody regardless of their budget. If it dies before its time I'll be looking to get it repaired or replacing it with the same as opposed to upgrading.

== == == == == == == == == == == == == == == == == == == ==
EOS30d w/grip, 24-70mm f/2.8 EX DG, EF 50mm f/1.8, EF 75-300mm f/4-5.6
iMac, Photoshop CC, Lightroom and a pocket full of wine gums
Canis meus id comedi

Bloosman
Hatchling
4 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Sep 19, 2014 13:35 |  #28

Stav_98 wrote in post #17165573 (external link)
This all looks very familiar :)

Do it, do it, do it!

I recently posted a similar thread as I fancied giving a FF camera a go; I've been using a 30D since 2006 and had a 300D prior to that. I picked up a used 5D with six months warranty for £400 delivered and am delighted with it. The IQ out of the camera is to my eye brilliant, as a camera it ... well does what it does very well. I don't miss all the bells and whistles of the new releases as I don't do video etc. Also I have cheap glass so it's pointless for me to go spend thousands on the latest and greatest body. As for some of its 'features' being slow...well that just means I have to plan my shots better and not click and hope.

I wouldn't think twice in recommending a 5D to anybody regardless of their budget. If it dies before its time I'll be looking to get it repaired or replacing it with the same as opposed to upgrading.

Thanks for this...have my eye on a couple of decent 5D's on the 'net...how similar are they operationally to the 30D...???

Canon 30D, Jupiter 11a 135mm f4 (KOMZ), Mir-1B 37mm, f2.8 (Vologda)

Stav_98
Goldmember
1,054 posts
Joined Sep 2005

Sep 19, 2014 14:00 |  #29

Very similar indeed - there's very little between them beyond the odd additional function. Put it this way mine didn't come with a manual and that hasn't caused me any issues .... and I'm naff with a camera :) To be honest I can't put in to words how pleasantly surprised I am. Ok, processing is a personal thing so try to ignore it (I love high contrast, high clarity), but these are out of the first few dozen shots I took. The lens is a Sigma 24 -70 2.8.

PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://i839.photobucke​t.com …5102052_n_zps92​9b2039.jpg (external link)

http://i839.photobucke​t.com …0177544_n_zpsb6​dc5dba.jpg (external link)

http://i839.photobucke​t.com …2579210_o_zps6a​ad1d6a.jpg (external link)

== == == == == == == == == == == == == == == == == == == ==
EOS30d w/grip, 24-70mm f/2.8 EX DG, EF 50mm f/1.8, EF 75-300mm f/4-5.6
iMac, Photoshop CC, Lightroom and a pocket full of wine gums
Canis meus id comedi

gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
29,130 posts
Gallery: 14 photos
Joined Dec 2006

Sep 19, 2014 14:06 |  #30

Bloosman wrote in post #17165581 (external link)
Thanks for this...have my eye on a couple of decent 5D's on the 'net...how similar are they operationally to the 30D...???

Pretty much the same control setup. Depending on whether you get an earlier or later built 5D the LCD is about the same or maybe a bit better.

sponsored links

3,699 views & 0 likes for this thread
Original 5D
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.