Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Astronomy & Celestial Talk 
Thread started 15 Sep 2014 (Monday) 11:32
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

New and stupid :)

modestglock26
293 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Apr 2014

Sep 15, 2014 11:32 |  #1

Title just about sums it up. I'm really enjoying the stuff that I'm seeing in the forums here and I'm still completely in awe looking at the beautiful Milky Way shots I've seen. Boggles my mind how clear and unreal some of the shots are. Most of my questions I'm finding answers to with googlefu, but I figured I should ask here just for some clarity.

I want to attempt some sort of Milky Way shots from the north Georgia area and my gear at the moment is a bit limited. I can't build or currently afford to do any kind of tracking. I currently own a 5d classic, and a 40d. For glass I have a Rokinon 8mm 3.5 for the 40d, an EFS 17-85mm, and then some 28mm's that will work on the 5d. I don't know if the 28mm will be wide enough for any type of capture.

Between the two bodies, and my limited lenses, would the 5d and 28mm yield a better shot just from the lower noise, or would going with the 40d + 8mm or 17mm end up being the safer bet? I have a tripod and my remote for both bodies but I don't know much about any sort of stacking or tracking and I can't currently drop more fun money on it. Plus I still need to find a location away from the light pollution that I can use without getting shot at.

Sony A7ii and a Ricoh GR II with just about no skill

legoman_iac
306 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Sep 16, 2014 15:56 |  #2

Heya,

Think the best thing to do is just get out under the stars (start with your backyard) and try from there. Good to get some practice before you go off into the wilderness. You'll soon find what gear you need, there'd usually be something I'd forget as my camera bag isn't big enough for all my bits and pieces. Plus you'll want to keep warm and comfortable, so its good to get into a rhythm at home first.

As you're shooting not observing, keep a light on until your setup. I tripped over gear and dropped stuff I forgot I'd crammed into pockets in the excitement and darkness first time I went out. Handy to keep a torch with you until you're used to working in the dark.

If you can hook up a laptop to check focus, before snapping hundreds of pics that's a good way to avoid disappointment.

Clouds can roll in pretty quick so be prepared to sit there for them to clear or able to quickly pack up if it starts to rain.

I'd try all your lenses on both bodies. Do a comparison and see which you like. I find the 17mm on 50d isn't wide enough for me. However shooting "short" exposures of around 8 seconds at f1.8-ish on a 50mm lens I've managed some m42 pics (though required stacking).

Try different exposures, shoot as long as you can until you see "eggs" (when it starts to trail).

Hope this helps. Keen to see how you go!

- Daniel

2x 50d: with 17-85mm f4-5.6, 100mm Macro USM, 50mm f1.8, 2x Sigma 30mm f1.4, 55-250mm (kit lens), Canon 100-400mm L, Tamron 200-400mm f5.6, Samyang 8mm. 480mm refactor with HEQ5. Home made beamsplitter stereo rig.

Davenn
991 posts
Gallery: 32 photos
Joined Jun 2013

Sep 18, 2014 22:24 |  #3

Hi there

welcome to astrophotography :)

for when you wanna start playing with stacking images .... download Deep Space Stacker

its free :)

Dave

A picture is worth 1000 words ;)
Canon 5D3, 6D, 700D, a bunch of lenses and other bits, ohhh and some Pentax stuff ;)

modestglock26
THREAD ­ STARTER
293 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Apr 2014

Sep 19, 2014 19:47 |  #4

Davenn wrote in post #17164441 (external link)
Hi there

welcome to astrophotography :)

for when you wanna start playing with stacking images .... download Deep Space Stacker

its free :)

Dave

Thank you! I'll look into it after this day ends. Been at work since 05:00, at the Atlanta airport now waiting to fly out at 22:00 and I will hopefully be in bed sometime tomorrow morning around 02:00. Then, lots of camera time in south FL if the rain allows it.

Sony A7ii and a Ricoh GR II with just about no skill

mpbowyer
90 posts
Joined Nov 2013

Sep 27, 2014 09:52 |  #5

Put the 8mm on the 40d, set ISO to about 1600, point it at Cygnus (straight up at 10pm now) and experiment with exposure time. Keep going longer and zoom all the way in to your raw photos to see if stars are round. As soon as they aren't round, back off.

If the 40d has long exposure noise cancelation, try that out up to 30 seconds.

You might be able to get 45-60 seconds with 8mm, but you're shooting the fastest stars, so that'll limit you.

Get a cheap remote to run longer than 30s in bulb mode.

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

1,049 views & 0 likes for this thread
New and stupid :)
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Astronomy & Celestial Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.