Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
Thread started 16 Sep 2014 (Tuesday) 14:45
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Tethering my 5DM3 to my Macbook Pro?

southwestform
86 posts
Joined Sep 2014

Sep 16, 2014 14:45 |  #1

I want to use my 5DM3 wirelessly so the photos I shoot show up instantly on my laptop in Lightroom or Photoshop, or some other program. I know you can use an EyeFi card to wirelessly transmit photos to a computer, though what is the official Canon way of doing this?

1. How do I transmit the photos wirelessly?
2. Is there an advantage to doing it the official Canon way vs. just using an EyeFi card?
3. Which cable do I need to get if I want to do this with a cable instead of wirelessly?

Thank you.

sponsored links
Jon
Cream of the Crop
69,628 posts
Joined Jun 2004

Sep 16, 2014 17:50 |  #2

5D3, an EyeFi card may give you trouble because the metal chassis of the camera can interfere with the WiFi signal. I'd suggest using something like qDslrDashboard (external link), which supports Android, Mac and Windows. For the wireless connection, get a TP-Link MR-3040 pocket router and flash it with (same site) ddserver. Then point your program to the directory where you've set qDslrDashboard to send files.

Jon
----------
Cocker Spaniels
Maryland and Virginia activities
Image Posting Rules and Image Posting FAQ
Report SPAM, Don't Answer It! (link)
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.
PAYPAL GIFT NO LONGER ALLOWED HERE

c2thew
Goldmember
3,929 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Sep 16, 2014 18:03 as a reply to  @ Jon's post |  #3

how many seconds does it take to transfer a jpeg to your computer via this method? I know that tethered takes about 5 seconds which is useful if you want speed.

Flickr (external link) |Gear|The-Digital-Picture (external link)|The $6 mic | MAGIC LANTERN (external link) | Welding Filter
Go Support Magic Lantern 2.3!!

Jon
Cream of the Crop
69,628 posts
Joined Jun 2004

Sep 16, 2014 18:17 |  #4

We use it to an Android; never actually timed it, but the image comes up quite fast. I shoot RAW + Small, and transfer the JPEG for review. We download the RAW later for processing.

Jon
----------
Cocker Spaniels
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.

southwestform
THREAD ­ STARTER
86 posts
Joined Sep 2014

Sep 18, 2014 22:42 |  #5

I'm very much a non-techie...is there an easy turn-key solution that is plug-and-play for wirelessly transmitting photos from the 5DM3 to a Mac? What about a wired option to be used as a backup (I do not trust technology to always work)

Thanks!

Jon
Cream of the Crop
69,628 posts
Joined Jun 2004

Sep 19, 2014 12:20 |  #6

Easy turnkey solution would be around $300 for CamRanger, which is the same hardware as qDslrDashboard uses, just with their firmware instead of ddServer. Wired, qDslrDashboard can connect directly with your camera via USB. But installing ddServer on the MR-3040 is really nothing - point your browser to the router, log into the router, click on the upgrade button and find the file you've downloaded to your computer.

Jon
----------
Cocker Spaniels

CAPhotog
334 posts
Joined May 2012

Sep 20, 2014 14:10 |  #7

CamRanger works and is an excellent choice. The software and user interface is worth it alone.

southwestform
THREAD ­ STARTER
86 posts
Joined Sep 2014

Sep 21, 2014 15:47 |  #8

1. Just for clarification, CamRanger will allow me to control the camera remotely, and will also transfer the photos to my computer?
http://www.bhphotovide​o.com …ireless_dslr_co​ntrol.html (external link)

2. What about the direct cable option as a backup? Does this have to be a special USB cable or can it be any USB cable?

Thank you.

Jon wrote in post #17165436 (external link)
Easy turnkey solution would be around $300 for CamRanger, which is the same hardware as qDslrDashboard uses, just with their firmware instead of ddServer. Wired, qDslrDashboard can connect directly with your camera via USB. But installing ddServer on the MR-3040 is really nothing - point your browser to the router, log into the router, click on the upgrade button and find the file you've downloaded to your computer.

Oldschool1948
587 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined May 2012

Sep 21, 2014 15:57 |  #9

I recommend DSLRController. Look at this video:

http://dslrcontroller.​com/guide-wifi_mr3040.php (external link)

I can tether my 5DIII to my PC, Galaxy S4, or Galaxy Tab Pro 10.1. Transfers are quick and easy.

5DIII Gripped
AD360 | Canon 600EX-RT (x2) | 580EXII | L358
70-200 f4L IS | 24-70 f2.8L II | 50 f1.8 mk I | Tamron 150-600 G2
Canon Pro-10 Printer | Adobe LR6 | OnOne Raw

Jon
Cream of the Crop
69,628 posts
Joined Jun 2004

Sep 21, 2014 19:19 |  #10

southwestform wrote in post #17169346 (external link)
1. Just for clarification, CamRanger will allow me to control the camera remotely, and will also transfer the photos to my computer?
http://www.bhphotovide​o.com …ireless_dslr_co​ntrol.html (external link)

2. What about the direct cable option as a backup? Does this have to be a special USB cable or can it be any USB cable?

Thank you.

All three of these applications let you control shutter speed, aperture, ISO, focus, picture styles, . . .

CamRanger expects you to use the CamRanger transmitter; it won't operate without a transmitter s/n that agrees with the s/n you load into the application.

DSLR Controller (Canon-only and Android-only) will work either via an MR-3040 with the DSLR Controller firmware flashed onto it or via a direct USB connection to an Android that has an OTG (On The Go) cable or capability. Not all Android devices have this capability even if you buy a USB OTG cable.

qDslrDashboard, like DSLR Controller, works either via an MR-3040 or via USB. The difference between the two is that qDslrDashboard has apps that run on Android, iOS, Windows Vista or later or OS X, and supports Canon, Nikon and (in the latest release, to a limited extent) Sony.

And yes, I have and use all three packages. For Canon, DSLR Controller is my preferred app. With our Nikons, or if we need to control multiple cameras at once, qDslrDashboard is the one. CamRanger's big advantage, now, is that it will also control a motorized tripod pan/tilt head.

Jon
----------
Cocker Spaniels

sponsored links

2,440 views & 0 likes for this thread
Tethering my 5DM3 to my Macbook Pro?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.