Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
Thread started 19 Sep 2014 (Friday) 17:17
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Where do you get your buisness cards printed?

Tony_Stark
Shellhead
4,287 posts
Joined May 2010

Sep 20, 2014 00:35 |  #16

HappySnapper90 wrote in post #17166596 (external link)
$1 per card where many cards will be thrown away isn't money well spent. It's like handing out $1 bills.

Its a form of marketing and every penny is worth it for that 1 potential client. All you need is one session booked and youve made the money back. I always get compliments when handing out cards and have seen return business well a year after the fact. Last thing I would do is cheap out on cards. In the grand scheme of things, its a minimal cost.

You should also be selective who you hand out cards to. I don't go around the street tossing them in the air. You have to gauge who would be a potential client and I always give some cards after a session for that person to hand to their friends. Something even as simple as "hey check out these cool cards the photographer I shot with gave me." Its practically free advertising. People pay $1 a click on Google ads, but suddenly its too much for business cards? Each click is a potential client and if they don't buy, its a dollar wasted, but the traffic generated is worth it in terms of potential. Same deal with business cards.

Nikon D810 | 24-70/2.8G | 58/1.4G
EOS M | 22 f/2 STM

Website (external link) | flickr (external link)

sponsored links
JeremyKPhoto
Goldmember
1,633 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Sep 20, 2014 00:51 |  #17

Tony_Stark wrote in post #17166590 (external link)
You have thousands of dollars in gear but Moo is too expensive? Its barely under $1 a card for Luxe anyway, and you don't have to order a ton of them. Refer people and get even better rates.

I guess I should have said "too expensive for what they are". I like to be able to freely give out my cards without thinking that I am handing away x amount of money. I get high quality cards from Overnight Prints with UV spot printing for a much better price. Just because I have thousands in gear does not mean I need to spend needlessly.

I tend to buy things when the price makes sense. Heck, I even buy off brand cereal because it is cheaper and I am happy with how it tastes. So, since I have thousands in gear, should I also reconsider which cereal I am choosing and then opt for the more expensive cereal in the future?

I do love MOO cards, but I just feel money is better spent somewhere else. The end goal of a business card is to get your contact information out in front of clients. As long as my cards do that and still look great, then I see no need to spend more.

5D Mark III / 70-200 2.8L IS II / 24-105L / 50 1.8 stm / Tamron 70-300 VC / Sigma 85mm 1.4 Art

jecottrell
324 posts
Joined Nov 2012

Sep 20, 2014 09:36 |  #18

Ratjack wrote in post #17166610 (external link)
So, since I have thousands in gear, should I also reconsider which cereal I am choosing and then opt for the more expensive cereal in the future?

Does the cereal you eat have any effect on whether a prospect will book you or not?

JTodd
325 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Sep 20, 2014 09:38 |  #19

I use vistaprint premium cards. You can't beat the quality at their prices.

5D Mark II
| Canon 17-40L | Canon 24-70L | Canon 70-200L II | Tamron 90 Macro | Sigma Macro Ring Flash | Elinchrom D-Lite 4 IT and BXRi 500 |

1000WordsPhotography
513 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Sep 20, 2014 10:05 |  #20

I use Moo.com, love the quality of the work I get there and my cards get lots of comments.

Twitter: @1kWordsPhotog
Instagram: @1000WordsPhotographer
Facebook: Here (external link)
Portfolio: Here (external link)

SuffolkGal
437 posts
Joined Jun 2012

Sep 20, 2014 16:04 |  #21
bannedPermanent ban

DJ JIGGLER wrote in post #17166032 (external link)
Is vistaprint good? I like the gotprint.net priceing sofar :)

Vistaprint is nasty, cheap crap.

HappySnapper90
Cream of the Crop
5,145 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Sep 20, 2014 20:28 |  #22

Tony_Stark wrote in post #17166602 (external link)
Its a form of marketing and every penny is worth it for that 1 potential client. All you need is one session booked and youve made the money back. I always get compliments when handing out cards and have seen return business well a year after the fact. Last thing I would do is cheap out on cards. In the grand scheme of things, its a minimal cost.

No, you don't make your money back in one customer. Why? Buying cards you are spending profit (money after paying labor, overhead expenses).

memoriesoftomorrow
Goldmember
3,846 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Sep 20, 2014 21:24 |  #23

I found not having business cards at all works even better for me. Be memorable in what you do and how you do it and people make the effort to remember who you are.

Peter

JeremyKPhoto
Goldmember
1,633 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Sep 20, 2014 21:28 |  #24

jecottrell wrote in post #17167035 (external link)
Does the cereal you eat have any effect on whether a prospect will book you or not?

No, but neither do my business cards. Which is why I was trying to make a point. My work is what will be the factor in which a client will decide to book me or not.

All in all, business cards are just to give your information out. Maybe you should give out your information on bricks of gold. It will make a better impression and get you more business.

5D Mark III / 70-200 2.8L IS II / 24-105L / 50 1.8 stm / Tamron 70-300 VC / Sigma 85mm 1.4 Art

jecottrell
324 posts
Joined Nov 2012

Sep 20, 2014 21:30 |  #25

HappySnapper90 wrote in post #17167912 (external link)
No, you don't make your money back in one customer.

How would you know that if you don't know the margin on that "one customer" and the cost of the cards?

jecottrell
324 posts
Joined Nov 2012

Sep 20, 2014 21:32 |  #26

Ratjack wrote in post #17167982 (external link)
No, but neither do my business cards.

Maybe you need better business cards.

If you're claiming that business cards are a zero effect marketing tool, I would wager that you are wrong.

Just one article. (external link)

Bokeh ­ Shooters
32 posts
Joined Sep 2014

Sep 20, 2014 21:34 |  #27

http://businesscards24​.com (external link)

My name is Chris, I run a website dedicated to inspire other photographers.
WEBSITE (external link) / BOKEH SHOOTERS FACEBOOK PAGE (external link) / THE FACES OF NJ PROJECT (external link) / FLICKR (external link) / PERSONAL FACEBOOK FAN PAGE  (external link)

Bokeh ­ Shooters
32 posts
Joined Sep 2014

Sep 20, 2014 21:41 |  #28

I must say that the first impression matters the most. If someone were to hand me a plain white card and the next person handed out something truly unique like photographer Jared Polin does (he gives people an afro pic) his site is Fro Knows Photo. I would keep that afro pic and check out his work way before I checked out the guys work who handed me the plain white card.

My name is Chris, I run a website dedicated to inspire other photographers.
WEBSITE (external link) / BOKEH SHOOTERS FACEBOOK PAGE (external link) / THE FACES OF NJ PROJECT (external link) / FLICKR (external link) / PERSONAL FACEBOOK FAN PAGE  (external link)

JeremyKPhoto
Goldmember
1,633 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Sep 20, 2014 22:08 |  #29

jecottrell wrote in post #17167986 (external link)
Maybe you need better business cards.

If you're claiming that business cards are a zero effect marketing tool, I would wager that you are wrong.

Just one article. (external link)

I am not saying that they are a 0 effect marketing tool. What I am saying is, they only have so much of an effect.

So let's look at it this way...
Overnight Prints (400 cards): ~$18.04
Moo (400 cards): $200

So if we break that down into price per card it looks like this,
Overnight Prints: ~$0.05
Moo: ~$0.50

So Moo cards cost about 10 times more than a printer such as Overnight Prints. Nobody is saying the cards from Overnight Prints have to be plain. You can add pictures, spot UV, or anything you want. But one really has to think about this. Will one be able to get 10 times more customers by using Moo cards? Will they be 10 times more likely to book that one customer they gave their card to? Hard to say without actually running a test and providing a survey following a short trial. But, I would guess the answer would be no.

If two photographers gave their card, and one was using Moo and the other using Overnight Prints, a client may feel inclined to look up the Moo user first, but that does not mean they will not look into the other photographer as well. Then, it all boils down to two things. Quality of work and price.

I really do not understand why people assume that cards will be "plain" if using anything other than Moo. With all of this being said though, when comparing quality and cost, I would absolutely avoid Vistaprint. Due to the fact their pricing is so close to the same as other printers (who are much better) and offer horrible quality (just my opinion).

As long as a card has a good design and comes on a good thick card, there is no issue saving some money.

JeremyKPhoto
Goldmember
1,633 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Sep 20, 2014 22:10 |  #30

Bokeh Shooters wrote in post #17167993 (external link)
I must say that the first impression matters the most. If someone were to hand me a plain white card and the next person handed out something truly unique like photographer Jared Polin does (he gives people an afro pic) his site is Fro Knows Photo. I would keep that afro pic and check out his work way before I checked out the guys work who handed me the plain white card.

You are taking it to an extreme by saying "a plain white card". I don't know of anyone who uses a plain white card (aside from insurance agents and real estate agents lol).

Compare someone will a well thought out design printed through another printer and then compare with another using a Moo card. Yes, there is going to be a quality difference, but the designs will both be eye catching (depending on who chose the design of course :P)

sponsored links

5,532 views & 0 likes for this thread
Where do you get your buisness cards printed?
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.