Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment People 
Thread started 18 Sep 2014 (Thursday) 07:39
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Artist Portrait Critique

chexjc
293 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Sep 2014

Sep 18, 2014 07:39 |  #1

Hey all!

I'm pretty new to photography and portraiture. I really only started about 95 days ago (I'm on a project 365 (external link)), but I did a shoot with a local artist yesterday.

IMAGE: http://i.imgur.com/HjAwszZ.jpg

This was shot with a Canon t4i, 85mm f1.8 @ 1/400s f2.5 iso100. I used a reflector off to the front left to bounce the sunlight back to his face. A flash and umbrella are on my 'to-buy' list.

I'm welcoming any feedback!

Thanks,

Jason

Canon 6D x2 | 17-40L | Sigma 35 ART | 50mm f1.8 STM | 85mm f1.8 | 135L
Website (external link) | Instagram (external link) | flickr (external link)

sponsored links
beano
Goldmember
4,168 posts
Joined May 2006

Sep 18, 2014 09:33 |  #2

Your white balance seems to be off. I'm seeing a lot of magenta, but I am on my ipad, so wait to see if someone with a calibrated monitor has an opinion on that... I find that in this situation, where the background has a lot of clipped highlights, B&W tends to look better.
His eyes look nice and sharp, and I like the composition/crop. ;)

Scott

cameragal1
313 posts
Joined Jul 2014

Sep 18, 2014 10:33 |  #3

WOW for being new to portraiture, the pose, the bokeh and the focus are great! I like this shot, I think it is a tad bright, maybe darken it a bit - I think it looks good in color but would love to see a B&W - I do see a pink cast too.

Diane

BKATX
363 posts
Joined Jul 2009

Sep 18, 2014 14:39 |  #4

I like it, nice framing and composition. But I agree the colors look a bit off. Fiddle with the colors and white balance in Lightroom / Photoshop and I bet it improves a lot.

HappySnapper90
Cream of the Crop
5,145 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Sep 20, 2014 00:25 |  #5

Body and face square to the camera is often unflattering making the person look wide and akin to a mug shot. This is not mug shotty, but not putting the person in a good pose and angle.

awesomeshots
Goldmember
1,220 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jan 2013

Sep 20, 2014 11:49 |  #6

HappySnapper90 wrote in post #17166595 (external link)
Body and face square to the camera is often unflattering making the person look wide and akin to a mug shot. This is not mug shotty, but not putting the person in a good pose and angle.

I agree with you when it comes to ladies but not for the guys. Guys can pull of the squared shots and this happens to be one of them.
Crossed arms, leaning against something and looking at the camera is just a classic shot that has been done by many. :)

Canon 5D Mark III, Canon 6D, Canon 24-70 F/2.8L, Canon 70-200 F/4L IS, 135mm 2.0 L, 85mm 1.8, Speedlite 430 II.

HappySnapper90
Cream of the Crop
5,145 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Sep 20, 2014 20:30 |  #7

Just noticed the direct flash leaves no shadows making his face look flat.

sponsored links

1,425 views & 0 likes for this thread
Artist Portrait Critique
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment People 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.