Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon G-series Digital Cameras 
Thread started 15 Sep 2014 (Monday) 19:15
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

POTN G-series Speed Challenge #502: Print

OhLook
Spiderwoman
19,081 posts
Gallery: 74 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Dec 2012

Sep 15, 2014 19:15 |  #1

Challenge #502, Print

RESULTS

A healthy number of images this week, all interesting and well shot. I wish I didn't have to choose just three.

Needsnow, "Iconic British Symbol": That's iconic, all right, and colorful, too. The green background is perfect for setting off the red booth.

Spoco57, "Thankfull his wife died?": Funny. I wonder whether the engraver ever regretted using that wording.

Trumper, no title: This is cute and has something I didn't expect, handprints as well as words. I should have PMed you a reminder to add a title. I've been distracted by a bad cold since the middle of last week.

Maureen Souza, "Packing Crates": It's nostalgia time for me because I spent my childhood near enough Fresno that the Sun-Maid company was a very important institution in the local economy. This photo conveys the massive scale of raisin-making. The slice of blue sky speaks of the California heat that dries those Thompson Seedless into raisins.

Jim Askew, "Times Square Billboards": This is so lively that it could inspire eager excitement or sensory overload, depending on the viewer. It certainly says "Urban!" Surprised that one spot lacks an ad.

teekay, "Medieval Fonts": The samples make print the whole story in this image. Having studied calligraphy, I recognize these forms as derived from hand lettering with a wide-nib pen. Isn't it neat how writing in Gothic times is tall and elegant like Gothic cathedrals, and writing from the early medieval period is short and rounded like the domed churches of that time?

rpolitsr, "colonial tombstone": A glimpse of history and culture. Sr. Sanchez, merchant, must have been an important man of his time, and probably a rich one, to merit a monument requiring so much handwork.

marie, "necessary equipment": Plenty of equipment, more than I'd want to carry. The "Official Photographer" lettering is one of the most lightweight pieces but is necessary to keep people from standing in front of him.

Sibil, "Guys' R&R": Beer and sports--yes, I've heard of those things. Apparently they're "necessary equipment" for a night out. A scene that says fun times to many viewers.

Raven, "Old Coca-Cola Mini Billboard": Another survival from an earlier time. This ad is in remarkably good shape for something its age that's been outdoors so much.

Winners

It's hard to choose among these ten, but here are my picks, using secret and totally subjective criteria not mentioned above:

Raven, "Old Coca-Cola Mini Billboard"

rpolitsr, "colonial tombstone"

Maureen Souza, "Packing Crates"

---------------

This week's topic is print. Printed words, numbers, and other symbols are an everyday sight, from tiny clothing tags to huge billboards. Let your photo feature something printed as an essential element that helps to define the scene. For this purpose, I want to exclude handwriting (yes, skywriting too) and painting.

Remember, if you post a photo, you may be the winner. Be prepared to host and judge a new challenge.

To submit, click Post Reply and put your photo name in the subject line. Don't forget your camera model.

Post until Monday noon GMT, 22 September 2014.

Photo Submissions

1. Camera -- Canon G-Series Camera G1, G2, G3, G5, G6, G7, G9, G10, G11, G12, G15, G16, G1X, G1X Mark II and Pro1 only.

2. Time -- Any on-topic photo taken at any time is eligible, although photos that have won other competitions should NOT be entered.

3. Size -- Photo must be no less than 800 pixels and no more than 1280 pixels on the longest side, with NO BORDERS.

4. Post-Processing -- Do whatever you like and the host will decide if it works.

5. Posting --
    • One photo per photographer in each challenge.
    • Photo title in the message subject line.
    • Camera model.
    • EXIF data, if you like.

6. Commenting -- No commenting on photos by anyone, including the photographer. Once the winners are declared, photographers can add comments to their images and everyone is invited to discuss.

7. Photo Display -- Photos must appear in this thread to be eligible.

Time

One challenge every week, on the following schedule:
  • New Topic ... As soon as possible after winning.
  • Posting Starts ... Right after topic is announced.
  • Posting Stops ... Monday noon GMT.
  • Winners Announcement ... Tuesday noon GMT.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Please consider turning on private messaging in your profile. This will allow the host to contact you about winning or ineligible photos. You turn this feature on by clicking "User CP, Edit Options, Enable Private Messaging" (about a third of the way down the page). Thank you.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Click this sentence for Hosting Rules and Winners List.

Click this sentence for Discussion of Rules thread.

PRONOUN ADVISORY: OhLook is a she. | A FEW CORRECT SPELLINGS: lens, aperture, amateur, hobbyist, per se, raccoon, whoa, more so (2 wds.), shoo-in | IMAGE EDITING OK

sponsored links
Needsnow
Goldmember
1,814 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Sep 16, 2014 21:35 |  #2

Iconic British Symbol

G1x Mk2

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Canon EOS R

Spoco57
343 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Mar 2013

Sep 18, 2014 18:31 as a reply to  @ Needsnow's post |  #3

Thankfull his wife died?

G1X

IMAGE: https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3845/15095930260_f54bb60186_b.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/oZYA​8E  (external link) IMG_4730 (external link) by spocoyankees (external link), on Flickr

Trumper
962 posts
Joined May 2003

Sep 19, 2014 15:17 |  #4

G1X MK2

https://photography-on-the.net …695675&stc=1&d=​1411157806

HOSTED PHOTO

Maureen ­ Souza
Ms. MODERATOR     Something Spectacular!
33,248 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Feb 2005

Sep 20, 2014 14:17 |  #5

Packing Crates

Pro 1

HOSTED PHOTO

Life is hard...but I just take it one photograph at a time.

5DMK4
7DMK2
Canon Lenses: 50/1.4, 135/2.0, 100-400mm II, 24-70/2.8 II

JimAskew
Cream of the Crop
7,447 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Aug 2005

Sep 21, 2014 17:45 as a reply to  @ Maureen Souza's post |  #6

Times Square Billboards

G11

HOSTED PHOTO

Jim -- I keep the Leica D-Lux 7 in the Glove Box just in case!
7D, G5X, 10-22MM EF-S, 17-55MM f/2.8 EF-S IS, 24-105MM f/4 EF L, Leica D-Lux 7

teekay
Goldmember
3,037 posts
Joined Apr 2001

Sep 21, 2014 18:25 as a reply to  @ JimAskew's post |  #7

Medieval Fonts

IMAGE: http://community.netidea.com/teekay/temp/NoImage.jpg
G15

rpolitsr
5,977 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Jun 2005

Sep 21, 2014 18:26 |  #8

colonial tombstone

IMAGE: http://rpolitsr.rafaelpolit.com/potngserieschall/502_print_CRW_1359_800.jpg

poweshot Pro1

rafael
Canon EOS Rebel XT, EF-S 18-55mm f3.5-5.6 II, EF 50mm f1.8 II, EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS STM, speedlite 430EX, basic filters set.
My photo galleries (external link)
Marketplace: PAYPAL GIFT NO LONGER ALLOWED IN POTN

marie
Cream of the Crop
21,057 posts
Joined Jul 2002

Sep 21, 2014 18:40 as a reply to  @ rpolitsr's post |  #9

necessary equipment

G12
1/800
f4.5

IMAGE: http://www.pbase.com/image/136692207/original.jpg

regards, Marie
Canon G12, dslr 40D, GIX
Canon lens24-105
Lmm10-22mm,17-40,17-85, 70-300,60mm

Sibil
Cream of the Crop
9,544 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Sep 21, 2014 22:10 |  #10

Guys' R&R

G11

PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://i562.photobucke​t.com …7/Mirook/IMG_54​85Guys.jpg (external link)

Raven
698 posts
Joined Jan 2005

Sep 22, 2014 02:10 as a reply to  @ Sibil's post |  #11

Old Coca-Cola Mini Billboard

G16

IMAGE: http://jimowensphotography.zenfolio.com/img/s5/v121/p473054076-5.jpg

~ Jim

OhLook
THREAD ­ STARTER
Spiderwoman
19,081 posts
Joined Dec 2012

Sep 22, 2014 11:20 |  #12

Challenge is closed. Results later today. Thanks for entering!

PRONOUN ADVISORY: OhLook is a she. | A FEW CORRECT SPELLINGS: lens, aperture, amateur, hobbyist, per se, raccoon, whoa, more so (2 wds.), shoo-in | IMAGE EDITING OK

OhLook
THREAD ­ STARTER
Spiderwoman
19,081 posts
Joined Dec 2012

Sep 22, 2014 18:33 |  #13

Results are posted at the top.

Sibil
Cream of the Crop
9,544 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Sep 22, 2014 19:01 as a reply to  @ OhLook's post |  #14

I am so glad I was not in your shoes. So many great images, each meeting your requirement in a different way.

Maureen ­ Souza
Ms. MODERATOR     Something Spectacular!
33,248 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Feb 2005

Sep 22, 2014 19:34 as a reply to  @ Sibil's post |  #15

Congrats to Jim & Rafael! OhLook, I almost posted a Coca-Cola sign as well; it was uncovered on an old building downtown nearly 20 years ago & restored but this time of year my heart is in the grapes harvest, raisins drying on brown paper on the ground and cotton bolls emerging from the blooms. Sun Maid is less than a 20 minute drive from my driveway. Thanks for the nod & great entries from everyone. Glad I didn't have to choose.

Life is hard...but I just take it one photograph at a time.

5DMK4
7DMK2
Canon Lenses: 50/1.4, 135/2.0, 100-400mm II, 24-70/2.8 II

sponsored links

5,099 views & 0 likes for this thread
POTN G-series Speed Challenge #502: Print
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon G-series Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.