Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
Thread started 19 Sep 2014 (Friday) 17:17
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Where do you get your buisness cards printed?

Bokeh ­ Shooters
32 posts
Joined Sep 2014

Sep 20, 2014 22:21 |  #31

I agree, I was using the white card just as an example to prove my point. I also believe that presentation is key. If you have two equally thought out designs then it should not matter what printing company you use.

My name is Chris, I run a website dedicated to inspire other photographers.
WEBSITE (external link) / BOKEH SHOOTERS FACEBOOK PAGE (external link) / THE FACES OF NJ PROJECT (external link) / FLICKR (external link) / PERSONAL FACEBOOK FAN PAGE  (external link)

sponsored links
jecottrell
324 posts
Joined Nov 2012

Sep 20, 2014 22:33 |  #32

Ratjack wrote in post #17168040 (external link)
So Moo cards cost about 10 times more than a printer such as Overnight Prints.
Will one be able to get 10 times more customers by using Moo cards? Will they be 10 times more likely to book that one customer they gave their card to?

I don't think you're applying the correct math to the problem.

Ratjack wrote in post #17168040 (external link)
So let's look at it this way...
Overnight Prints (400 cards): ~$18.04
Moo (400 cards): $200

Wouldn't it be more accurate to say...

If I book one more job that nets at least $181.97 because of the higher quality card, it's more profitable to spend the extra money?

If marketing is an expense, you're not doing it right.

1000WordsPhotography
513 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Sep 21, 2014 09:52 |  #33

Again I use moo. I want to say the last 800 cards I bought were something like $200 maybe a touch more (I don't do the luxe cards as I didn't care as much for them, thats another story).

My business cards always solicit a comment and They get passed from customer to customer, they've been able to be jumping off points for conversations that have helped me close business. So for me I think its been completely worth it.

Twitter: @1kWordsPhotog
Instagram: @1000WordsPhotographer
Facebook: Here (external link)
Portfolio: Here (external link)

SuffolkGal
437 posts
Joined Jun 2012

Sep 21, 2014 18:09 |  #34
bannedPermanent ban

Ratjack wrote in post #17167982 (external link)
No, but neither do my business cards. Which is why I was trying to make a point. My work is what will be the factor in which a client will decide to book me or not.

All in all, business cards are just to give your information out. Maybe you should give out your information on bricks of gold. It will make a better impression and get you more business.

The main point of business cards is that they get seen BEFORE people you get booked or your work is seen.

They get passed around when existing customers give you referrals.

You are missing out on a great opportunity.

memoriesoftomorrow
Goldmember
3,846 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Sep 21, 2014 18:35 |  #35

Are business cards worth it? Well that would be different for every business.

The real question is how is the ROI versus other forms of advertising?

I can spend $200 on business cards or $200 of Facebook advertising. The ROI on the business at best was lucky to be over $1.50 return for every $1 spent. On Facebook for every $1 I spend I make around $30.

Looking at one marketing spend in isolation whilst determining what your spend your be on it without comparing it to other marketing spending and their respective returns is a mistake many businesses make... and an easy way to waste money.

Peter

Shane ­ W
839 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Sep 21, 2014 19:00 |  #36

Moo.om. I like them and I am not looking for an argument from anyone! Use who ever you like to print your cards. Or don't print any at all. The OP asked "where do you get your business cards", not "give me a ridiculous dissertation on your marketing theories".

Shane W

70D | Sig 10-20 | EF-S 15-85 | EF 70-200 2.8L | Sig 150-500 | Viv 28 2.5 | Sig 30 | Tak 50 1.4 [COLOR=blue]| EF 100 2.8 Macro | 1.4x TC | Nodal Ninja 3 | Tripods | Some Flashes | My flickr  (external link)

jecottrell
324 posts
Joined Nov 2012

Sep 21, 2014 19:18 |  #37

memoriesoftomorrow wrote in post #17169683 (external link)
The ROI on the business at best was lucky to be over $1.50 return for every $1 spent.

So, it's still not a loss for you.

And, wouldn't having a business card be considered a very large part of "acting like" a business?

I don't work in an industry where I have to rely on sales, but I do have to put forth a professional image. My employer does not provide business cards. I buy my own premium business cards to ensure that I don't end up in a situation where I look like an amateur.

memoriesoftomorrow
Goldmember
3,846 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Sep 21, 2014 19:29 |  #38

jecottrell wrote in post #17169750 (external link)
So, it's still not a loss for you.

It isn't an efficient use of resources. Nor a spend I'm personally prepared to make. Quite frankly the return on them isn't worth the effort spent in designing them etc.

jecottrell wrote in post #17169750 (external link)
And, wouldn't having a business card be considered a very large part of "acting like" a business?

I don't remember reading a rule anywhere that said business cards were mandatory in order to be a business. You'd be surprised how much WOM comes from people asking why you don't have a business card and the impression it leaves them with when they find out why.

As an aside... you need a business card in your industry to present as a professional yet your employer doesn't provide them... your employer doesn't sound like they care too much about them... otherwise they'd have their hands in their pocket.

Peter

HappySnapper90
Cream of the Crop
5,145 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Sep 21, 2014 21:38 |  #39

jecottrell wrote:
=jecottrell;17168075

If marketing is an expense, you're not doing it right.

Marketing is an expense since it's not money coming in (income). Anything you pay for is an expense.

1000WordsPhotography
513 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Sep 21, 2014 22:46 |  #40

memoriesoftomorrow wrote in post #17169773 (external link)
It isn't an efficient use of resources. Nor a spend I'm personally prepared to make. Quite frankly the return on them isn't worth the effort spent in designing them etc.

I don't remember reading a rule anywhere that said business cards were mandatory in order to be a business. You'd be surprised how much WOM comes from people asking why you don't have a business card and the impression it leaves them with when they find out why.

As an aside... you need a business card in your industry to present as a professional yet your employer doesn't provide them... your employer doesn't sound like they care too much about them... otherwise they'd have their hands in their pocket.

Every company I've ever worked for provided business cards and ever company I've ever owned provided them. I've never even come into contact with a legitimate employer that doesn't have them. Could just be me tho.

jecottrell
324 posts
Joined Nov 2012

Sep 22, 2014 00:05 |  #41

memoriesoftomorrow wrote in post #17169773 (external link)
your employer doesn't sound like they care too much about them...

1000WordsPhotography wrote in post #17170146 (external link)
Every company I've ever worked for provided business cards and ever company I've ever owned provided them. I've never even come into contact with a legitimate employer that doesn't have them. Could just be me tho.

It's called the Federal Government. Does that require any further explanation?

HappySnapper90 wrote in post #17169999 (external link)
Marketing is an expense since it's not money coming in (income). Anything you pay for is an expense.

You're making the assumption that I used the term "expense" in the context of accounting.

benji25
Goldmember
1,033 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Jan 2010

Sep 22, 2014 09:34 |  #42

memoriesoftomorrow wrote in post #17169683 (external link)
Are business cards worth it? Well that would be different for every business.

The real question is how is the ROI versus other forms of advertising?

I can spend $200 on business cards or $200 of Facebook advertising. The ROI on the business at best was lucky to be over $1.50 return for every $1 spent. On Facebook for every $1 I spend I make around $30.

Looking at one marketing spend in isolation whilst determining what your spend your be on it without comparing it to other marketing spending and their respective returns is a mistake many businesses make... and an easy way to waste money.

To me they are two different things. yes technically they are both advertising for your company but IMO you need both. or maybe not business cards but something to hand someone quick if they want your information. For example, the other day I was shooting around downtown and these parents were taking a shot with a phone of their kid by an interesting piece of art. I walked up offered to take a shot of all of them and handed them a card telling to email me and I will send it to them.

Situations like that where you meet a potential client in person and want to give them your info. Pretty hard to give someone your facebook ad.

Website (external link)
flickr (external link)

1000WordsPhotography
513 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Sep 22, 2014 10:12 |  #43

[QUOTE=jecottrell;1717​0234]It's called the Federal Government. Does that require any further explanation?/QUOTE]
How this sentence impacts what I typed is beyond me but I'm simply going to bow out now as this thread has turned into something other than answers to the OPs questions.

jecottrell
324 posts
Joined Nov 2012

Sep 22, 2014 12:02 |  #44

1000WordsPhotography wrote in post #17170870 (external link)
How this sentence impacts what I typed is beyond me but I'm simply going to bow out now as this thread has turned into something other than answers to the OPs questions.

I am employed by the government. They do many things that make little or no sense. When I interact with the public or colleagues I want to make the best impression possible. If I am asked for my contact information and I reply "do you have something to write with" or "look my office up on the web", I don't think that makes a very professional impression.

I'm sorry if you think that a discussion over whether using business cards at all is not relevant to "where" to have them printed. There's a lot of good ideas about many different things in this thread. Discussing what impression having no business cards vs. having a "cheap" business cards vs. having a "high dollar" business cards will aid the OP decide whether "where" to have a card printed is important.

Boone13
387 posts
Joined Dec 2013

Sep 22, 2014 12:32 |  #45

Where you get your cards from comes down to personal preference and taste. It's factually impossible to say that a client who got card A wouldn't have booked had they received card B. A client wow'ing over your card doesn't mean they'll book, just as much as a client not saying anything doesn't mean they won't book.

I've received many business cards over the years and to be frank, I couldn't care less if they were a piece of paper or a one-ince thick card stock. I look deeper into the quality of work, not a business card, which IMO is meant to give you the means to contact the person.

You can argue first impression but I'd be hardpressed to believe that the cards y'all deem as cheap have that significant of a negative imapct to warrant going elsewhere.

No one can truly prove any one card being more effective than another unless you own a Delorean and can go back in time. :-)

I'm saying all of this for the OP's sake so that he/she can hopefully sift through the negative connotations that anything other than Moo has garnered and can make a decision on what will work best for them.

Some moments are too amazing to be ruined with words.

sponsored links

5,319 views & 0 likes for this thread
Where do you get your buisness cards printed?
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.