Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Weddings & Other Family Events 
Thread started 18 Sep 2014 (Thursday) 18:37
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

My first wedding shoot

ORboarder
119 posts
Joined Jul 2011

Sep 18, 2014 18:37 |  #1

Hey everyone! Shot my first wedding as a favor to some new friends.

Comments and Suggestions encouraged! considering branching out and committing to wedding photography a little more.

If you look at my other Albums, there are lots of other photos from the wedding weekend as well.

THANKS!

PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://i1089.photobuck​et.com …/untitled_zpsa0​e0074f.jpg (external link)

https://www.flickr.com …3/sets/72157647​217669758/ (external link)

sponsored links
chocolatekara
286 posts
Joined Oct 2013

Sep 18, 2014 19:50 |  #2

hi there,

congrats on your first wedding,

One thing that I think would make a big difference to the first impression of these photos, that sepia. I'm really not a fan. but.. that's just my opinion. It's almost red and it's just not nice.

Be consistent in your editing. You have way too many different edits in there, varying in white balance etc.

As long as the couple are happy though, that's the main thing :)

ORboarder
THREAD ­ STARTER
119 posts
Joined Jul 2011

Sep 18, 2014 21:31 |  #3

thanks! still really learning how to PP effectively, so i appreciate your feedback!

mclaren777
Goldmember
1,482 posts
Joined May 2012

Sep 19, 2014 13:28 |  #4

I'm glad the groom eventually took off his sunglasses.

A simple comparison of sensor technology: Nikon vs. Canon (external link)
A technical comparison of sensor technology: Exposure Latitude (external link)

ORboarder
THREAD ­ STARTER
119 posts
Joined Jul 2011

Sep 19, 2014 13:57 |  #5

yeah i wanted to sake them the take off the shades, but they really would have been squinting.

Have you read much on the Mclaren P1?!?!?! saw an MC-12 in my town yesterday. Incredible cars

mclaren777
Goldmember
1,482 posts
Joined May 2012

Sep 19, 2014 22:56 |  #6

Yeah, Mclaren makes great road cars. I just hope they get back into the habit of making good race cars. ;)

A simple comparison of sensor technology: Nikon vs. Canon (external link)
A technical comparison of sensor technology: Exposure Latitude (external link)

ORboarder
THREAD ­ STARTER
119 posts
Joined Jul 2011

Sep 19, 2014 23:22 |  #7

after looking through them again, I think I agree that the sepia is horrible. Will re edit when i have time. Thanks for the critique

cameragal1
313 posts
Joined Jul 2014

Sep 20, 2014 12:32 |  #8

Wow - great job on your first wedding - agree with the other posters - the sepia does not work. Not sure if it is the sepia, but they look a tad dark to me. Can you remove the sepia, lighten them up and post again? Looks like you captured some great shots.

Diane

Christopher ­ Steven ­ b
Goldmember
3,547 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Sep 20, 2014 14:10 |  #9

I'm curious why it seems you let the bride and her father pass you during the wedding processional so that you were mostly photographing their back.

Overall impressions from a quick scan through flickr:
-you've been chastised enough about sepia (which might actually work for some of the shots if done better and more subtly)
-color balance is wonky on a few of the photos
-great use of ambient light when shooting inside
-impressive capturing of candid moments for a first wedding. I didn't get as far as the portraits, though, to judge how well you did at taking charge when required.

christopher steven b. - Ottawa Wedding Photographer

www.christopherstevenb​.com (external link)| Blog (external link)

ORboarder
THREAD ­ STARTER
119 posts
Joined Jul 2011

Sep 20, 2014 16:57 |  #10

Christopher thank you for taking the time to reply!

There are the two shots of the bride and father as they pass, and pretty sure a few more that i didn't pick from the group.

This was done pro bono as a favor. Another of the couples friends was a pro photog, and did the set up shots in the gardens for them. I, and the couple, could tell that his heart wasn't in it at all, and he was being really negative. It makes me feel really good, that although I did this as an amateur, I was able to get them a few shots that are really special to them. I wish i had taken a little more charge and set up some more shots of my own.

If you have the time to look back through them, could you hint at which ones the color balance seems wonky on? I think I need to be better about editing shots taken from the same angle and scene as a batch to avoid this problem. Also if you have time check out the other albums of the weekend, and the ladies getting ready! your feedback really means a lot to me.

Mostly I know that I learned more than i could have imagined over this long weekend playing photographer. I think the most important things I learned are that I have been severely underestimating the amount of storage, both external and SD, that I need to have on hand for a weekend like this. Also, I think I got lucky in that I spent the entire weekend with the whole group, and I feel like this allowed me to really get to know who was who, so that I captured a few moments I wouldn't have even understood had that not been the case.

I feel pretty strongly that If I try another wedding, I will make my best attempt to get to know all the main family involved so that I am once again aware of important moments as they happen.

Thanks again for taking the time to respond

HappySnapper90
Cream of the Crop
5,145 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Sep 21, 2014 21:49 |  #11

I don't see other albums and only see car and plane photos in the link you have. The photo you posted is of the back of someone's head.

ORboarder
THREAD ­ STARTER
119 posts
Joined Jul 2011

Sep 21, 2014 23:36 |  #12

Happy that's not very constructive. I think you are looking at photos I have added to my favorites on flicker, not clicking on the link at the top that says "albums".

As far as the "back of someone's head" comment, that is the bride peaking out a window seeing her own wedding for the first time. I don't see any wedding photos on your website, so is your criticism coming from a place of knowledge, or simply negativity?

HappySnapper90
Cream of the Crop
5,145 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Sep 26, 2014 23:15 |  #13

It's pointing out that you either weren't in the best place for this photo or you need to crop this photo a lot because the back of that person takes up the most space in the frame. You don't need to do something in order to have an opinion on photo composition, subject, framing. You welcomed comments.

The thing is, unless you know she's looking out at her wedding, you don't know she's looking out at her wedding. You at times need to remove yourself from knowing more about a photo to see the photo independently. Photos need to stand on their own without a back story that nobody can't tell or know.

Christopher ­ Steven ­ b
Goldmember
3,547 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Sep 26, 2014 23:33 |  #14

You're totally right: we often do take photos, filling in important aspects of the narrative with our own understanding and not realizing these aspects are not actually apparent in the photos themselves to independent viewers. That's a really powerful point.

I disagree, though, about every photo needing to stand on its own. That suggestion simply ignores how we often (if not most often) actually view images. In wedding photography especially, we see a series of images and not generally one photo in isolation (a critique board is a non-standard way of viewing images). Given that, there's not really much ambiguity about, e.g., who is in this photo--perhaps about what that person is doing, however. Consider also that the intended viewing subject of a wedding photograph is generally the wedding couple. Whether or not you know that that is the bride seems to be of less importance than how the wedding couple themselves see the photo.

HappySnapper90 wrote in post #17179861 (external link)
It's pointing out that you either weren't in the best place for this photo or you need to crop this photo a lot because the back of that person takes up the most space in the frame. You don't need to do something in order to have an opinion on photo composition, subject, framing. You welcomed comments.

The thing is, unless you know she's looking out at her wedding, you don't know she's looking out at her wedding. You at times need to remove yourself from knowing more about a photo to see the photo independently. Photos need to stand on their own without a back story that nobody can't tell or know.

christopher steven b. - Ottawa Wedding Photographer

www.christopherstevenb​.com (external link)| Blog (external link)

Buckeye87
47 posts
Joined Aug 2014

Sep 27, 2014 23:02 |  #15

The album isn't loading for me? Is it down?

sponsored links

2,804 views & 0 likes for this thread
My first wedding shoot
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Weddings & Other Family Events 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.