Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Sports Talk 
Thread started 15 Sep 2014 (Monday) 07:55
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

New 7D M II vs Used 1D M IV

UTgws
193 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined May 2010

Sep 15, 2014 07:55 |  #1

Oh how Canon's new officially announced 7D M II causes me turmoil!

http://www.usa.canon.c​om …lr_cameras/eos_​7d_mark_ii (external link)

I have been scrounging on eBay and Craigslist looking for a good buy on a 1D IV, and the going price for them is on average come in between $2,500 to $3,000. Now the 7D is coming in at $1,800....

Oh how my decision just got harder....

Anyone out there have an opinion?

Gary
Started shooting sports in high school in 1975, after high school, took a 35 year nap from photography and picked it back up in 2012 and getting more serious with the art.
Gear - Some Canon camers and lenses.

sponsored links
DC ­ Fan
Cream of the Crop
5,881 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Oct 2005

Sep 15, 2014 08:11 |  #2

UTgws wrote in post #17155190 (external link)
Oh how Canon's new officially announced 7D M II causes me turmoil!

http://www.usa.canon.c​om …lr_cameras/eos_​7d_mark_ii (external link)

I have been scrounging on eBay and Craigslist looking for a good buy on a 1D IV, and the going price for them is on average come in between $2,500 to $3,000. Now the 7D is coming in at $1,800....

Oh how my decision just got harder....

Anyone out there have an opinion?

Until the camera has been widely used at actual sporting events by real photographers, there will be no way to truly judge it, although countless people will try.

It would be no surprise if the early adopters are confounded by the new cameras and then rush to condemn them online.

In the meantime, bargain hunters will be able to find used 7D's at a low price that have been abandoned by those who need new toys.

lilkngster
726 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Sep 2010

Sep 15, 2014 08:30 |  #3

I would expect the 1d3/1d4 used market would take a hit. Not exactly a 1d replacement, but on paper comparison with my 1d3, now have same fps, better iso/-3 ev sensitivity, and presumably at least a different sports type af/and possibly better. The prices have been somewhat stagnant since the correction from 5d3/1dx and in a year when the mkii is available as a refurb on sale for under 1500, its going to be that much harder to justify even the currnt price, unless the 7d turns out to be a flop, whcih I am doubting Canon will let happen.

6dII/1dIII|Bronica Sq-Ai/EOS 3/A1

tmalone893
Goldmember
2,034 posts
Gallery: 54 photos
Joined Jan 2006

Sep 15, 2014 12:18 |  #4

lilkngster wrote in post #17155292 (external link)
I would expect the 1d3/1d4 used market would take a hit.

This is what I think is going to happen as well. If you can afford to wait, I would give it a while. It could save you a few hundred bucks in the long run.

Name: Theron
MaxPreps Profile (external link)
My Gear

flickr (external link)
https://www.instagram.​com/theronmalone/ (external link)

rdalrt
Goldmember
1,702 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Aug 2008

Sep 15, 2014 18:55 |  #5

Personally, I am waiting to see high ISO image quality. If it can equal the 1d4 iso output quality, then at this price point it will be a great seller again for Canon. My $.02.

Just Sports Photographyexternal link
My Junk ;)

John
Goldmember
1,405 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Sep 16, 2014 13:30 |  #6

I think it will be worth waiting for. Used prices should be adjusting down as we get closer to the release date if not already.

john | gear | web hosting deal for POTN members!

UTgws
THREAD ­ STARTER
193 posts
Joined May 2010

Sep 16, 2014 13:40 |  #7

I am watching eBay to see if prices start dropping on 1D IV's but so far it is tough to tell. As far as sports shooting goes the fps, buffer, etc. seem pretty comparable between the 1D IV and the 7D II, The resolution on the 7D II is much higher but I guess we are still at an unknown as to how it will handle high ISO noise.

It still is very tempting to jump on the preorder list, I know it already is a pretty good jump up from my 7D, that it makes it very tempting. And it would be new and not possibly "used up". I'm not real concerned with used and number of clicks, I mean my truck had a 7 year/70,000 mile warrenty, we passed that a looooong time ago and it is still going strong.

Well more to "sleep on"

Gary
Started shooting sports in high school in 1975, after high school, took a 35 year nap from photography and picked it back up in 2012 and getting more serious with the art.

ChunkyDA
Goldmember
3,712 posts
Gallery: 17 photos
Joined Apr 2007

Sep 16, 2014 21:26 |  #8

For the hobby shooter, local newspaper, etc the newer 7D is a sure winner. The movie focusing is worth the price of admission for the casual shooter.

Dave
Support Search and Rescue, Get Lost (external link)
Gear list and some feedback

John
Goldmember
1,405 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Sep 17, 2014 12:19 |  #9

After taking a look at the high ISO shots Matt Granger put up, I think it'll do very nicely for sports.

I've been thinking about getting one of the 1D bodies (IV or X) but I also want a 400mm lens so I'm going to save up for the lens over the body. :D

john | gear | web hosting deal for POTN members!

Paulstw
827 posts
Joined Nov 2012

Sep 22, 2014 03:45 |  #10

John wrote in post #17161161 (external link)
After taking a look at the high ISO shots Matt Granger put up, I think it'll do very nicely for sports.

I've been thinking about getting one of the 1D bodies (IV or X) but I also want a 400mm lens so I'm going to save up for the lens over the body. :D

As a new arrival to sports, I had my first outing at the weekend there. Totally hooked. I was always hampering over a 1DIV after owning a 1D3 for a while. I still think that the 1DIV would be a sensible choice. Also after having a play with a 400 2.8 I don't think I'll be eating out for a while lol

Aus.Morgo
561 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Feb 2012

Sep 22, 2014 06:46 |  #11

Having a 7D and a 1DIV I'm not really interested in the 7DII, can;t see it being a worth while upgrade for me from my 7D and I'd take the 1DIV over a 7D any day.

Gear List

UTgws
THREAD ­ STARTER
193 posts
Joined May 2010

Sep 22, 2014 10:34 |  #12

Yes I am still torn between the 7DmII, (it does look enticing by the specs but is still a 1.6 crop, with my 300mm that is good and it does have many improvements over the current 7D for a sports shooter), and the 1DmIV.

I am going to have to do some more research on how the 70D image and high ISO noise is (even if the refinements made on the sensor improve the 7DmII the 70D should give a ball park where it will perform) compared to the 1DmIV.

I will be keeping my current 7D as a 2nd/backup body and I am going to get another body, just have to evaluate the pro/con for 7DmII or 1DmIV.

Gary

Scrumhalf
Cream of the Crop
6,774 posts
Gallery: 83 photos
Joined Jul 2012

Sep 22, 2014 10:37 |  #13

Gary, the 1D Mark IV is a crop too... ;)

Sam
5D4 | 6D | 7D2 (2 bodies) | Reasonably good glass
Gear List

If I don't get the shots I want with the gear I have, the only optics I need to examine is the mirror on the bathroom wall. The root cause will be there.

Thomas ­ Campbell
Goldmember
2,105 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Sep 22, 2014 14:57 |  #14

But only 1.3 crop. Makes the 400 2.8 a 520 2.8 view.

Gary, my old 1D4 is for sale here in Texas if you are interested. I still like the pro bodies for shooting sports. Hit me up if you are interested.

Houston Wedding Photographer (external link)
Houston Sports Photographer (external link)
Current Gear List

UTgws
THREAD ­ STARTER
193 posts
Joined May 2010

Sep 23, 2014 09:35 |  #15

Yes the 1DmIV is a crop, but it has been long recognized as a very good sports shooting body with very good high ISO lower light noise performance. While it will not pair quite as nice with my 300mm 2.8 it would be better than a FF and right now a better performing body (and having a 2nd body) is a bigger priority.

And TC, I would like to hear the details on your 1DmIV.

Gary

sponsored links

9,708 views & 0 likes for this thread
New 7D M II vs Used 1D M IV
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Sports Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.