Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 22 Sep 2014 (Monday) 19:14
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

7D or 70D video

methoslvr
Mostly Lurking
17 posts
Joined Jan 2013

Sep 22, 2014 19:14 |  #1

I have both the Canon 7d and the 70d. Which one takes the best video? I just got the 70D and have not used it yet. I am going to shoot a friend's band this weekend and want to take photos as well as some video. Which would you recommend? Thanks for any advice.

sponsored links
Jiggo0109
376 posts
Gallery: 16 photos
Joined Sep 2013

Sep 22, 2014 19:24 |  #2

methoslvr wrote in post #17171838 (external link)
I have both the Canon 7d and the 70d. Which one takes the best video? I just got the 70D and have not used it yet. I am going to shoot a friend's band this weekend and want to take photos as well as some video. Which would you recommend? Thanks for any advice.

Definitely 70D...

outmywindow
670 posts
Joined Jan 2013

Sep 22, 2014 20:11 |  #3

The swivel screen and dual pixel AF on the 70D make are both huge for video if you need and/or will use them regularly in the shoot. If all you care about is the output quality of the video, then apart from a slight ISO advantage on the 70D (being that its newer) the two are virtually the same and I would say that its a wash. The 7D Mk II supposedly does pixel binning instead of line skipping to get cleaner 1080p resolution for video recording which will improve overall quality of video.

Just a soul with a camera

Jiggo0109
376 posts
Joined Sep 2013

Sep 22, 2014 21:02 |  #4

Additional info. The 7d can not last with long recordings. It does overheat and shuts down in just a short time of use compared with the 70D and 60d. Video for the 70, photos for the 7d.

methoslvr
THREAD ­ STARTER
Mostly Lurking
17 posts
Joined Jan 2013

Sep 22, 2014 22:27 as a reply to  @ Jiggo0109's post |  #5

I think I read the 7d heats up when shooting video. The post I read said you could shoot short video on the 7d but longer than about 10 minutes and it gets hot and shuts down. Wonder if Canon is aware? Thanks for the advice! Really didn't want to take both cameras, but it may come to that.

Reider
146 posts
Joined May 2010

Sep 22, 2014 22:41 |  #6

With the (revolutionary?) duel pixel cmos AF technology, the 70d is clearly the best choice. Add to the fact that you have a touch and swivel screen on the 70d and the 7d probably has an over heating issue just like my t2i, it's a no brainer. 70d.

Canon 550D T2i / 15-85mm USM IS / 18-55mm IS / 55-250mm IS

Create
Hatchling
2 posts
Joined Sep 2014

Sep 22, 2014 23:13 |  #7

I'm looking at the 70D or the 7D for indoor real estate which would be a better choice?

Create
Hatchling
2 posts
Joined Sep 2014

Sep 22, 2014 23:14 |  #8

I should have added for still wide angle shots.

Nogo
World Record Holding Most Boring Commenter
7,624 posts
Joined Dec 2013

Sep 22, 2014 23:22 |  #9

Neither. A used 6d would be the much better choice.

Both the cameras you are asking about are geared toward sports and wildlife shooting. The sensor in the 6d is full frame which allows you a wider angle of view with the same lens as the other two. If the 6d is too expensive even used, then you might as well save a few more dollars and just buy a 60d. The advantages of the two cameras you are asking about are not aimed at your type of use.

As for the best choice between the 70d and the 7d original, the 70d would probably be a slightly better choice due to its better low light performance for real estate use.

Philip

MalVeauX
"Looks rough and well used"
13,159 posts
Gallery: 1633 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Feb 2013

Sep 22, 2014 23:26 |  #10

methoslvr wrote in post #17171838 (external link)

Have you ever even used either camera for video?

Do yourself a favor, and test the video of each one. See what you think.

You own both.

Very best,

My Flickr (external link) :: My Astrobin (external link)

BrickR
Cream of the Crop
5,935 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Sep 23, 2014 00:39 |  #11

70d is better for video than a 7d is pretty much every way. Swivel screen, touchscreen, and AF alone make the 70d better for video before even blinking.

My junk
The grass isn't greener on the other side, it's green where you water it.

cdmicha
72 posts
Joined May 2012

Sep 23, 2014 06:09 |  #12

With the 70D you also can shoot in All-I compression for some serious frame by frame editing if you want... But as mentioned, the AF & swivel touch screen are very handy.

Chris
6D/70D/E-M5

methoslvr
THREAD ­ STARTER
Mostly Lurking
17 posts
Joined Jan 2013

Sep 23, 2014 13:39 as a reply to  @ cdmicha's post |  #13

MalVeauX wrote in post #17172298 (external link)

You own both.

Very best,

Yes I have shot short video with the 7d but not the 70d yet. I will test both but at this point I am leaning toward the 70d. Thanks.

yogestee
"my posts can be a little colourful"
13,845 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Dec 2007

Sep 24, 2014 19:37 |  #14

MalVeauX wrote in post #17172298 (external link)

You own both.

Very best,

The obvious answer. Here's your cookie..

Jurgen
50D~700D~EOS M~G11~S95~GoPro Hero4 Silver
http://www.pbase.com/j​urgentreue (external link)
The Title Fairy,, off with her head!!

palad1n
Goldmember
1,756 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Jun 2013

Sep 24, 2014 19:43 |  #15

May I ask ... you bought 70D over 7D for what reason? Or you got them as gift and still not decided which one you keep?

Website (online) : www.lukaskrasa.com (external link)
Flickr : http://www.flickr.com/​photos/105393908@N03/ (external link)
Facebook page: https://www.facebook.c​om/lukaskrasaphoto/ (external link)
Instagram: https://instagram.com/​lukaskrasacom (external link)
Lukas

sponsored links

1,614 views & 0 likes for this thread
7D or 70D video
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.