Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 21 Sep 2014 (Sunday) 16:23
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

5dMKII about to die...

kent ­ andersen
Goldmember
1,071 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Apr 2009

Sep 21, 2014 16:23 |  #1

Hi...

My 5dMKII is about to give up.

Suddenly it just stopped working. The screen is working and I can adjust shutter speed. But I can't take any pictures or use any other buttons on it. They are all dead.

Except if I turn to Automatic mode. Then I can take picture and make those small adjustment that are available. So, AF and all the technical stuff are working. So, I think that it must be a software problem.

I have tried to reboot the camera, taking out all batteries (Includingg the little one), Cf Card, changing the lens... But no success.

Since I can*t access the menu (That button is not working), I can't update the software on the camera.

So, is there anyone that has an advice for me before I send it to canon?

Living in Austria, I am so glad that there is stuff like Gimp out there...
I am a happy giver, so if you find any misspelling in my text, you can keep them... :)
Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/​photos/41388512@N05/ (external link)

sponsored links
CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
49,428 posts
Gallery: 156 photos
Joined Apr 2003

Sep 21, 2014 16:25 |  #2

I can't think of any other options. You did the reboot with the small battery, so there's not much left.

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS
Jake Hegnauer Photography (external link)

eth3rton
Goldmember
1,242 posts
Gallery: 27 photos
Joined Oct 2008

Sep 21, 2014 16:38 |  #3

This is exactly what happened to my 5D MKIII this past summer. Luckily it was still under warranty - by a week. Canon ended up replacing the main-board and it has worked like new ever since. They did however try to bill me out of warranty because I did not have a copy of my receipt with me on vacation. Out of warranty it was gonna cost me $233.84 but a quick call straightened that out.

kent ­ andersen
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,071 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Sep 21, 2014 16:52 |  #4

Thanks for the reply. I am fearing that it is a main board issue.

I am a happy giver, so if you find any misspelling in my text, you can keep them... :)

kent ­ andersen
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,071 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Sep 23, 2014 03:19 |  #5

Got a message from the repair company:

The Problem is not the main board, but the depth of view preview button, that was stucked.

Repair of main board would have ccosted more than a good used 5dmkII.

So, it seems like I will get my 5dMKii fixed for about 210 euro.

- Kent

Hello Mr. Andersen,

thanks for the request, unfortunately we can not give any specific information about a possible defect or its cause.
It could be that, for example, the depth of field preview block the camera or other keys. In "atuo, CA" mode, the button will not be considered.

However, you are welcome to bring the camera during your stay / holiday to us. Within a week you have a repaired camera back.

kent ­ andersen
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,071 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Oct 01, 2014 05:00 |  #6

I got an even better news to tell today.

The camera is working again, without any cind of repair. The camera was suddenly working again.

I brought my camera to church on sunday, when I came out after the service and tested it, it suddenly worked again. There is surely a camera anointing in that church, that brought the button or whatever out of its stuck position.

Glad to have the camera back, and also happily owner of a 70-300L, that I bought last week.

jaomul
Goldmember
1,236 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Apr 2011

Oct 01, 2014 05:13 |  #7

Possibly dirty dof preview button stuck. If it happens again electronic cleaning spray may do the trick. Good luck

flickr (external link)
Olympus EM5,Nikon d7200,
Olympus 12-50mm, 40-150mm,17mm f2.8,Nikon 50mm F1.8, Tamron 90mm vc, 18-105mmVR, Sigma 18-35 f1.8

sponsored links

1,029 views & 0 likes for this thread
5dMKII about to die...
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.