Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
Thread started 22 Sep 2014 (Monday) 14:07
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Anyone buy pelican cases off of ebay?

disneydork06
Cream of the Crop
7,312 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Aug 2006

Sep 22, 2014 14:07 |  #1

Unfortunately my gear is growing and my backpacks do not grow so I was looking at pelican cases from ebay and they look like some good deals. I'd like to be able to haul all of my lenses with my body and flashes and some other easier sized accessories. Was thinking a rolling case or just a really large backpack...

Ryan
~AZ POTN Planned Activities (external link)
let me know how I can improve, cause we all know I need it :): Flickr (external link)
myspace (external link) facebook (external link) The Greatest online forum known on Earthtwitter (external link)[URL="http://www.500px​.com/RDimal"]500xp follow me! in something^ you know you want to

sponsored links
farmer1957
901 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Jul 2012

Sep 22, 2014 20:47 |  #2

disneydork06 wrote in post #17171299 (external link)
Unfortunately my gear is growing and my backpacks do not grow so I was looking at pelican cases from ebay and they look like some good deals. I'd like to be able to haul all of my lenses with my body and flashes and some other easier sized accessories. Was thinking a rolling case or just a really large backpack...

No not off ebay... amazon.com is where I bought mine. model 1510 is legal to carry on board a jet liner, and they can come with wheels like suit case with rollers.

Farmer

Phototeacher
262 posts
Joined May 2007

Sep 22, 2014 21:54 |  #3

Just something to keep in mind when considering a hard case:

Pelicans are great; sturdy, secure and watertight, but be aware that they will add quite a bit of weight for you to carry. The weight of the empty case will be much more than that of an empty backpack. I use them, but be aware that while wheels are handy, you still have to lug it up and down stairs, unless you want to subject your gear to the jarring of each step as it bangs down stairs.

I am not saying that using them is not a good idea, I am just pointing out a potential problem which some may find objectionable.

El ­ Pedro
708 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Sep 2012

Sep 23, 2014 00:55 |  #4

I got my 1510 off ebay as Amazon wouldn't ship one to Australia.

I usually check mine in when flying and have a backpack full of gear I carry on board.

Depends how much you're travelling with but if you only want one or the other I'd take a look at the F-Stop Loka with a large ICU. Heaps lighter and loads more travel friendly.

disneydork06
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
7,312 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Sep 23, 2014 10:15 |  #5

Phototeacher wrote in post #17172150 (external link)

Pelicans are great; sturdy, secure and watertight, but be aware that they will add quite a bit of weight for you to carry. The weight of the empty case will be much more than that of an empty backpack. I use them, but be aware that while wheels are handy, you still have to lug it up and down stairs, unless you want to subject your gear to the jarring of each step as it bangs down stairs.

I am not saying that using them is not a good idea, I am just pointing out a potential problem which some may find objectionable.

Hey I'm a teacher too!

Anyways, I'm aware of the weight issue and I do try and workout just so I can handhold my 70-200 2.8IS with 580ex flash on a 1dmk4 body. I also tend to carry my backpack with me too while I do this.

Ryan
let me know how I can improve, cause we all know I need it :): Flickr (external link)
myspace (external link) facebook (external link) The Greatest online forum known on Earthtwitter (external link)[URL="http://www.500px​.com/RDimal"]500xp follow me! in something^ you know you want to

disneydork06
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
7,312 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Sep 23, 2014 10:19 |  #6

El Pedro wrote in post #17172375 (external link)
I got my 1510 off ebay as Amazon wouldn't ship one to Australia.

I usually check mine in when flying and have a backpack full of gear I carry on board.

Depends how much you're travelling with but if you only want one or the other I'd take a look at the F-Stop Loka with a large ICU. Heaps lighter and loads more travel friendly.

Thank you for the info, I'll check out the F-Stop Loka here. Also, did you find any problems when you bought your 1510 off ebay? Did you find most reputable sellers and the product came back as expected?

Ryan

gnome ­ chompski
Goldmember
1,252 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jun 2013

Sep 23, 2014 10:37 |  #7

this. my 1510 is loaded and weighs a ton. Its great for storage and schlepping from point A to point B but thats about it

Tumblr (external link)
Flickr (external link)
Instagram (external link)

airbutchie
Not too crunchy
12,788 posts
Gallery: 268 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Oct 2006

Sep 23, 2014 10:43 |  #8

Hey Ryan...

I purchased both of my Pelican 1614's (with padded dividers and lid organizer) through eBay; one used, one new... My Pelican 1514 (with padded dividers and lid organizer) was purchased through Amazon...

I use my 1614's for storage (one for camera gear and the other for lighting), as well as lugging it around for local photography events when I need all my stuff... The 1514 is also used for local photography event, but I bring less equipment; usually one body, lenses, speedlite, and accessories... I haven't traveled with it yet, but I know it's compliant with airline carry-on standards...

:)

Hi. My name is Butch...
Complete Gear List | Flickr Vault (external link) | Instagram (external link)

Tigerkn
Goldmember
4,060 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Sep 23, 2014 11:13 |  #9

If your toys list is growing 1510 might not be big enough to hold them all. I've been looking to pick up a Pelican as well and IMO, 16xx series is too big to lug around and 15xx looks like a great size. I think it is a great size for wedding and event shooting (1560 particularly). From what I read, most people buy the 16xx series ended up with using it for storage. Have fun hunting.....

http://www.bhphotovide​o.com …Waterproof_1560​_Case.html (external link)

http://www.bhphotovide​o.com …w_wcB&is=REG&A=​details&Q= (external link)

Website (external link) | Facebook (external link) | Instagram (external link) | Gears (external link)

bps
Cream of the Crop
7,607 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Sep 23, 2014 12:13 |  #10

I own three Pelican 1510s and I purchased them at different times from B&H. They seem to have the best prices, or at least really good sales on Pelican products from time to time.

Yes, Pelican cases are heavy, but for my use they are invaluable. I travel via car, commercial planes, private planes, trains, and have had my Pelican cases strapped to the top of expedition vehicles, horses, and yaks. I've traveled through rain, mud, and some of the dustiest places you can imagine and my Pelican cases have endured everything they've been through...with ease. I also find the 1510 to be the perfect size, because although heavy when fully-loaded, the size of the 1510 limits the amount of gear you can put in...therefore limiting the weight to a manageable amount. And by owning three 1510s in three different colors, I can choose how many cases to carry based on that particular trip's needs. And I can travel worry-free knowing that no matter what, my gear is protected, dry, safe, and secure (when I use locks).

It really is a versatile system, for me.

Bryan

My Gear List

blanex1
790 posts
Joined Nov 2012

Sep 23, 2014 12:31 |  #11

i almost got a pelican case off bay,seen some grate deals but there shipping cost is outrageous,the bigger the case the more outrageous ..been looking on creags list for better buys.

canon 7d bg-e7 5d-mk3 1d-mk3 24-105-L 17-40 L 35/1.4 85/1.8 yougnuo 565 ex 580 ex and lots of other canon stuff.canon 70-200 2.8 L

scottsoutter
202 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Apr 2013

Sep 23, 2014 12:57 |  #12

I bought an empty 1500 case from cargolargo, and then added dividers purchased from b&h. I might have saved $15 or so off of just picking up the whole setup as a (I think) 1504. All in all, it was simple enough. Shipping was about $16 if I remember correctly.

5d ii, 17-40 f/4, 24-105 f/4, 35 f/2.0 ze distagon, 50 f/1.4 ze planar, 50 f/1.8, 70-200 f/4 is, 135 f/3.5 sonnar, 420ex, 430ex ii

ben_r_
-POTN's Three legged Support-
15,891 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Sep 23, 2014 16:02 |  #13

Over the years I have considered buying Pelican cases from people on eBay but it seems they are always either overpriced due to shipping or not and if they are used they are beat up too bad. I just buy them from B&H now.

[Gear List | Flickr (external link) | My Reviews] /|\ Tripod Leg Protection (external link) /|\
GIVE a man a fish and he'll eat for a day. TEACH a man to fish and he'll eat for a lifetime.

El ­ Pedro
708 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Sep 2012

Sep 23, 2014 16:07 |  #14

disneydork06 wrote in post #17173070 (external link)
Thank you for the info, I'll check out the F-Stop Loka here. Also, did you find any problems when you bought your 1510 off ebay? Did you find most reputable sellers and the product came back as expected?

No dramas, seller had good feedback. Case was new and in perfect condition. Came shipped in factory packaging. Can't remember the seller as it was ages ago.

I saved a lot of money over the local price.

seres
580 posts
Joined Apr 2013

Sep 23, 2014 18:18 |  #15

farmer1957 wrote in post #17172021 (external link)
.... model 1510 is legal to carry on board a jet liner....

I love my Pelicans, but I would never expect them to be allowed as carry-on. Even though they meet the requirements, some "feeder" airlines have smaller planes that can not accommodate a hard case of the 1510 size in the overhead or under the seat, while a soft case can be squished into that opening.

—Eric

sponsored links

5,462 views & 0 likes for this thread
Anyone buy pelican cases off of ebay?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.