Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Nature & Landscapes Talk 
Thread started 21 Sep 2014 (Sunday) 16:57
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

At what aperture are most of your landscape shots?

kaitlyn2004
Goldmember
1,668 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Sep 21, 2014 16:57 |  #1

For me, I would say the vast majority of my landscape shots are f8.

This leads me into another question which is: Why does your landscape lens really matter much?

As long as your lens doesn't suffer much distoration and can handle chromatic abberation, aren't the vast majority of the lenses going to be great/sharp at f8?

What else do the much more expensive lenses offer?

I originally planned to sell of my 5D3 kit 24-105, but have kept it as a walkaround AND landscape lens. It sort of surprised me in terms of how happy I was with it...

My Landscape Photography Videos (external link)
My Instagram (external link)

sponsored links
LV ­ Moose
Moose gets blamed for everything.
23,345 posts
Gallery: 205 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Dec 2008

Sep 21, 2014 17:52 |  #2

For me, f/8-f/11. Maybe slightly wider open if it's hand-held and somewhat dark.

Not all lenses are created equal, even at f/8. Some are just inherently sharper than others.

Try this tool, plug in whichever lenses you like, at the same focal lengths and f-stop, and compare: LINK (external link)

And f/8 isn't always the sharpest aperture. Here's another site: I was looking at this to compare sharpness of the Canon and Tamron 24-70 f/2.8's. They're both sharper at f/4 than at f/8 (at the wider end). LINK (external link) (again, plug in the lenses you're comparing, try different combinations of focal length and f-stop)

Moose

Gear... Flickr (external link)...Flickr 2 (external link)...
Macro (external link)...Hummingbirds (external link)
Aircraft (external link)

patrick ­ j
Goldmember
1,275 posts
Gallery: 30 photos
Joined Mar 2009

Sep 21, 2014 21:26 |  #3

Usually around f8, but smaller if I want greater depth of field, maybe larger if shooting something distant where I want a bit faster shutter speed and depth of field is less important.

Lenses do make a difference. I think handling chromatic aberration and distortion is no small thing. Plus with a better lens you will get better contrast, sharpness and color.

Flickr (external link)

jsecordphoto
In disbelief of how amazing I am
257 posts
Joined Aug 2014

Sep 22, 2014 13:25 |  #4

F8-11. And I've been pretty surprised on how sharp the 24-105 is. It covers a pretty nice focal range and its on my camera 90% of the time

Nikon D750, Nikon 50 f1.8, Tokina 16-28 f2.8, Tamron 150-600
www.jsecordphoto.com (external link)

Alveric
Goldmember
4,598 posts
Gallery: 38 photos
Joined Jan 2011

Sep 22, 2014 13:34 |  #5
bannedPermanent ban

f/16 - f/22.

'The success of the second-rate is deplorable in itself; but it is more deplorable in that it very often obscures the genuine masterpiece. If the crowd runs after the false, it must neglect the true.' —Arthur Machen
Why 'The Histogram' Sux (external link)

1Tanker
Goldmember
4,470 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Sep 22, 2014 14:30 |  #6

Alveric wrote in post #17171249 (external link)
f/16 - f/22.

Same..with my 15-85/60D. I like sunstars when possible, and if there's water.. like slow shutterspeeds for blur.

Kel
Gear

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
13,230 posts
Gallery: 143 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2008

Sep 22, 2014 14:52 |  #7

kaitlyn2004 wrote in post #17169482 (external link)
This leads me into another question which is: Why does your landscape lens really matter much?

As long as your lens doesn't suffer much distoration and can handle chromatic abberation, aren't the vast majority of the lenses going to be great/sharp at f8?

What else do the much more expensive lenses offer?

Many landscape images are taken at smaller apertures than f8 . . . f16 and f22 are really quite common for typical landscape images where you have a very close foreground element(s) as well as many more distant elements, all of which one wants to be in sharp focus. f8 simply doesn't offer sufficient depth of field for many of these scenarios.

The abilities of premium lenses are very useful for creating truly excellent landscape imagery. Lenses with excellent optics are able to resolve a greater degree of fine detail. This is especially important for many landscape images, especially those with fine vegetation such as deciduous tree leaves, evergreen tree needles, or prairie grasses.

Another thing that most truly excellent lenses will provide is excellent image quality when shooting directly into the light. Strongly backlit situations present a lot of challenges to lens optics, and the best lenses with the best coatings are able to handle those challenges a bit better than most mid-range lenses.

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "moot point", NOT "mute point".

ejenner
Goldmember
3,747 posts
Gallery: 73 photos
Joined Nov 2011

Sep 22, 2014 22:55 as a reply to  @ Tom Reichner's post |  #8

f11-f14 I try not to go smaller than f16 on FF, but certainly will if necessary. I also try to focus stack when needed, even if it is just 2 shots at f16 (even at f16 the image is significantly sharper at the focal plane than near the edge of the DOF).

And no, not all lenses are 'sharp' away from the center at f8 or even f11. Of course that does depend on your definition of 'sharp'.

I wouldn't use my 17-40 or 24-105 wider than f11 for landscapes, and preferred f14+.

I thought with the 16-35 f4 would allow me to shoot at f8, but on my last Yellowstone trip I realized that I pretty much need smaller apertures than that for most of my shots for DOF reasons.

Edward Jenner
5DIV, M6, GX1 II, Sig15mm FE, 16-35 F4,TS-E 17, TS-E 24, M11-22, M18-150 ,24-105, T45 1.8VC, 70-200 f4 IS, 70-200 2.8 vII, Sig 85 1.4, 100L, 135L, 400DOII.
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/48305795@N03/ (external link)
https://www.facebook.c​om/edward.jenner.372/p​hotos (external link)

snerd
655 posts
Gallery: 14 photos
Joined Nov 2010

Sep 22, 2014 23:13 |  #9

Mostly f/22 lately.

DunnoWhen
Goldmember
1,748 posts
Joined Mar 2006

Sep 23, 2014 02:41 as a reply to  @ snerd's post |  #10

F11 with focus at/just beyond hyperfocal distance.

My wisdom is learned from the experience of others.

jsecordphoto
In disbelief of how amazing I am
257 posts
Joined Aug 2014

Sep 23, 2014 09:05 |  #11

I'd rather shoot at f8-11 where I find my lenses to be sharpest and focus stack than to shoot at f16-22

Nikon D750, Nikon 50 f1.8, Tokina 16-28 f2.8, Tamron 150-600
www.jsecordphoto.com (external link)

aaron_400d
429 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Sep 23, 2014 09:22 |  #12

F11 - F16 for Tripod Shots

F5.6 - F8 for hand held

l Website (external link) l Instagram (external link) l Flickr (external link) l Facebook (external link) l Twitter (external link) l
Canon 5D MKIII // Gripped l Canon 70-200 ƒ2.8 L USM l Canon 100mm ƒ2.8 L IS USM Macro l Canon 16-35mm ƒ2.8 L USM l Sigma 35mm ƒ1.4 DG HSM Art l Canon 85mm ƒ1.8 USM l Canon 50mm ƒ1.8 II l Canon 580ex II l Jinbei 400w

bps
Cream of the Crop
7,607 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Sep 23, 2014 11:06 |  #13

Most of my landscapes are at f/16, but it depends on the lens and the particular situation...

Bryan

My Gear List

WaltA
Goldmember
3,862 posts
Gallery: 10 photos
Joined Feb 2006

Sep 23, 2014 15:23 |  #14

Some of you may be aware of this already but I'll post it for the ones that don't.

Theres a neat app called Exposure Plot that you can get here (external link) that graphs 4 different aspects of your pictures

Focal length, aperture, ISO and shutter speed.

Here's mine on my current pictures - taken this year.

Easily gets the answer for you to the OP.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Walt
400D, 5D, 7D and a bag of stuff

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
13,230 posts
Gallery: 143 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2008

Sep 23, 2014 15:27 |  #15

WaltA wrote in post #17173637 (external link)
Theres a neat app called Exposure Plot that you can get that graphs 4 different aspects of your pictures:

Focal length, aperture, ISO and shutter speed.

Here's mine on my current pictures - taken this year.

Wow, Walt . . . according to that graph, you took 4 pictures last year at a focal length of 6 millimeters! I didn't know they even had lenses that wide.

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "moot point", NOT "mute point".

sponsored links

21,193 views & 6 likes for this thread
At what aperture are most of your landscape shots?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Nature & Landscapes Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.