Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Nature & Landscapes Talk 
Thread started 21 Sep 2014 (Sunday) 16:57
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

At what aperture are most of your landscape shots?

WaltA
Goldmember
3,862 posts
Gallery: 10 photos
Joined Feb 2006

Sep 23, 2014 15:28 |  #16

Tom Reichner wrote in post #17173648 (external link)
Wow, Walt . . . according to that graph, you took 4 pictures last year at a focal length of 6 millimeters! I didn't know they even had lenses that wide.

I had one of the lens settings wrong. Fixed it now. Had to set it to 35mm Equiv.

Thanks Tom.

Walt
400D, 5D, 7D and a bag of stuff

sponsored links
JohnPh
I smell like a Shoulder Shrugging Seal
2,464 posts
Gallery: 181 photos
Best ofs: 3
Joined Oct 2011

Sep 23, 2014 16:17 as a reply to  @ WaltA's post |  #17

f/11 to f/13 for most of mine!

ՕFlickr (external link)500px (external link)
Facebook (external link)
serial underexposer
Gear

1Tanker
Goldmember
4,470 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Sep 23, 2014 17:07 as a reply to  @ post 17173637 |  #18

WaltA wrote:
Some of you may be aware of this already but I'll post it for the ones that don't.

Theres a neat app called Exposure Plot that you can get here (external link) that graphs 4 different aspects of your pictures

Focal length, aperture, ISO and shutter speed.

Here's mine on my current pictures - taken this year.

Easily gets the answer for you to the OP.

While that can be helpful, it's not necessarily accurate(for this scenario). Just because you shot 40ish shots at 28mm-f/8, doesn't mean they were landscapes.

Kel
Gear

WaltA
Goldmember
3,862 posts
Joined Feb 2006

Sep 24, 2014 08:53 |  #19

1Tanker wrote in post #17173824 (external link)
While that can be helpful, it's not necessarily accurate(for this scenario). Just because you shot 40ish shots at 28mm-f/8, doesn't mean they were landscapes.

It can be accurate. You get to choose which files/folders you want to include in your analysis.

I chose everything.

Just choose your landscape folders and its accurate.

Walt

titi_67207
496 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Sep 24, 2014 09:09 |  #20

for me mainly between f5.6-f11 & sometimes f16 when I want low speed or night shots stars.

Recently I've tried some 85mm @f1.4 (with my Rokinon + ND8 filter)... and it's excellent, more a painterly style on most of the image (a small bridge, which I focused on, under large trees) ! Will use it again at f1.4... Before, I used it only for portraits.

Titi

Canon 5D MkII + Sony A7 + 24x36 & 6x6 B&W film cameras .
CV 15 4.5 III | TS-E 24L II | FE 28 2 | (50+85) 1.4 | 135 2 | 70-200 4.0L | a collection of old Zuikos + FD + Adaptall + AI-s + M42

lovemyram4x4
Goldmember
2,198 posts
Gallery: 97 photos
Joined Mar 2013

Sep 24, 2014 14:11 |  #21

WaltA wrote in post #17173637 (external link)
Some of you may be aware of this already but I'll post it for the ones that don't.

Theres a neat app called Exposure Plot that you can get here (external link) that graphs 4 different aspects of your pictures

Focal length, aperture, ISO and shutter speed.

Here's mine on my current pictures - taken this year.

Easily gets the answer for you to the OP.

I just checked this program out, thanks for sharing it.

Bit disappointed it only reads the exif data from jpeg since I mostly shoot RAW. I can see how being able to choice to only one type of file format could be useful(if it could read them all).

It also seems to do some weird stuff with shots that have been re-sized. I had focal lengths up to 6400mm, so I took a look at highest one. It was shot at 600mm with my 1DIV (780mm at 35mm equiv) it was slightly cropped but heavily down sized. I checked some more and even if not cropped at all re-sizing gives a long focal length for example all my recent shots I took at 300mm on my 1DIV that I re-sized to 1024 on the long end show up as 1590mm.

The program doesn't let me choose multiple folders(aside from sub folders) so I'm limited on what I can analyse without moving things.

Because of those things it becomes more of a neat novelty than anything actually useful for me.

WaltA
Goldmember
3,862 posts
Joined Feb 2006

Sep 24, 2014 17:34 |  #22

lovemyram4x4 wrote in post #17175434 (external link)
I just checked this program out, thanks for sharing it.

Bit disappointed it only reads the exif data from jpeg since I mostly shoot RAW. I can see how being able to choice to only one type of file format could be useful(if it could read them all).

It also seems to do some weird stuff with shots that have been re-sized. I had focal lengths up to 6400mm, so I took a look at highest one. It was shot at 600mm with my 1DIV (780mm at 35mm equiv) it was slightly cropped but heavily down sized. I checked some more and even if not cropped at all re-sizing gives a long focal length for example all my recent shots I took at 300mm on my 1DIV that I re-sized to 1024 on the long end show up as 1590mm.

The program doesn't let me choose multiple folders(aside from sub folders) so I'm limited on what I can analyse without moving things.

Because of those things it becomes more of a neat novelty than anything actually useful for me.

Yeah, he says in the help file that cropped images may be troublesome if the crop program edits the exif data

===============

Unexpected results:
The Path List is there for debug options, if you find some unexpected results, say you're charts show some 1600mm images, but you don't have a lens like that.
Now you can use the Path List to find out where the 1600mm files are located.
Place a check mark at he "Focal length" option (at the bottom of the Path List tab), and start analyzing, the created sorted list shows the lens length followed by path, filename, make and model.
If you crop an image some programs will alter the focal lens tag in the EXIF, a 1600mm could be a cropped image made with a much shorter lens.

Walt

phantelope
Goldmember
1,889 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Sep 2008

Sep 24, 2014 18:02 |  #23

f2.8-f16, depending on the image/subject. Like most of my other photos.

40D, 5D3, a bunch of lenses and other things :cool:

lovemyram4x4
Goldmember
2,198 posts
Gallery: 97 photos
Joined Mar 2013

Sep 24, 2014 19:05 |  #24

Oops forgot, I usually use f5.6-f11(sometimes higher if needed for exposure time). My TS-E can help me keep from needing to stop to much which nice for minimizing diffraction and keep shutter speed up if desired(windy).

WaltA wrote in post #17175744 (external link)
Yeah, he says in the help file that cropped images may be troublesome if the crop program edits the exif data

===============

Unexpected results:
The Path List is there for debug options, if you find some unexpected results, say you're charts show some 1600mm images, but you don't have a lens like that.
Now you can use the Path List to find out where the 1600mm files are located.
Place a check mark at he "Focal length" option (at the bottom of the Path List tab), and start analyzing, the created sorted list shows the lens length followed by path, filename, make and model.
If you crop an image some programs will alter the focal lens tag in the EXIF, a 1600mm could be a cropped image made with a much shorter lens.

The thing is PS doesn't appear to change the focal lens tag on re-size and/or crop. The focal length error does calculate out to be about the same amount I re-sized.

Showing the equivalent focal length for the crop would be handy tool though.

kaitlyn2004
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,668 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Sep 24, 2014 19:10 |  #25

FYI there is a lightroom plugin that can plot the aperture/focal length/shutter speed too

My Landscape Photography Videos (external link)
My Instagram (external link)

stump-m
Hatchling
6 posts
Joined Apr 2014

Oct 01, 2014 20:44 as a reply to  @ kaitlyn2004's post |  #26

It doesn't give you a graph, but in Lightroom you can open the Library module, check View-Show Filter Bar. On the Filter bar check Metadata. By right clicking on the columns you can get Camera, Lens, ISO, Aperture, etc.

kaitlyn2004
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,668 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Oct 01, 2014 21:01 |  #27

stump-m wrote in post #17188988 (external link)
It doesn't give you a graph, but in Lightroom you can open the Library module, check View-Show Filter Bar. On the Filter bar check Metadata. By right clicking on the columns you can get Camera, Lens, ISO, Aperture, etc.

http://regex.info …ghtroom-goodies/data-plot (external link)

My Landscape Photography Videos (external link)
My Instagram (external link)

WaltA
Goldmember
3,862 posts
Joined Feb 2006

Oct 02, 2014 14:41 |  #28

That's pretty cool. Too bad I don't have LR!

Walt

taemo
Goldmember
1,243 posts
Joined Sep 2011

Oct 02, 2014 14:55 |  #29

mostly f/32 or f/45 now a days since I'm shooting LF for landscape
on 35mm/FF I have no problem shooting from f/0.95 all the way to f/22

earldieta.com (external link) - flickr (external link) - tumblr (external link) - gear/feedback
the spirit is willing but the body is sore and squishy
4 digital cameras | 14 film cameras

garbidz
Goldmember
1,722 posts
Gallery: 9 photos
Joined May 2005

Oct 11, 2014 13:19 |  #30

The focal length of the iPhone camera is about 4 mm.
Is this an answer?

bag

sponsored links

21,176 views & 6 likes for this thread
At what aperture are most of your landscape shots?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Nature & Landscapes Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.