Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 15 Jan 2014 (Wednesday) 14:50
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Canon 6D Review after 1+ Year of Hands-on [video review]

Lester ­ Wareham
29,000 posts
Gallery: 3247 photos
Best ofs: 6
Joined Jul 2005

Jan 24, 2014 12:14 |  #46

Tsmith wrote in post #16614161 (external link)
Great job!

I think its humorous when people berate the 6D's focusing and forget the days of the 20D and the millions of sporting events and wildlife images captured with it.

+1, I made that point also.

The only thing I have found with the 6D is it can hunt more with close-up on macro lenses (much more than the 20D did); OK I normally manual focus for true macro.

Otherwise the AF is close to the 20D and I managed bird in flight with that.

My Photography Home Page (external link) RSS Feed (external link)
Gear List
FAQ on UV and Clear Protective Filters
Macrophotography by LordV

sponsored links
watt100
Cream of the Crop
14,021 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Jan 24, 2014 14:08 |  #47

nice pics - thx for the comments

Bristol_James
33 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Mar 2013

Jan 24, 2014 14:49 |  #48

Could someone explain what is meant by "-3EV for AF lock" - or point me in the direction of an article?

Flickr - Bristol_James (external link)

DBNissan
Goldmember
1,073 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Mar 2010

Jan 24, 2014 15:00 |  #49

Bristol_James wrote in post #16633518 (external link)
Could someone explain what is meant by "-3EV for AF lock" - or point me in the direction of an article?

It means the camera will lock focus in darkness equivalent to a moon-lit night

EV = Exposure Value

~Dan
Instagram (external link)
Facebook Page (external link)

Bristol_James
33 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Mar 2013

Jan 24, 2014 15:06 |  #50

DBNissan wrote in post #16633559 (external link)
It means the camera will lock focus in darkness equivalent to a moon-lit night

EV = Exposure Value

Flickr - Bristol_James (external link)

stevensondrive
33 posts
Joined Apr 2013

Feb 01, 2014 20:36 |  #51

Thanks for the review. Except for the annoying drum solo I enjoyed it.

Canon 6D, 17-40L, 24-105L, 100-400L, 100L Macro, 50 1.8, 430EXii

grahamclarkphoto
THREAD ­ STARTER
183 posts
Joined Mar 2013

Feb 03, 2014 00:54 |  #52

stevensondrive wrote in post #16656508 (external link)
Thanks for the review. Except for the annoying drum solo I enjoyed it.

thanks! i can't remove the drum solo as youtube doesn't allow replacement of video : (

- -
Graham Clark | grahamclarkphoto.com (external link)

grahamclarkphoto
THREAD ­ STARTER
183 posts
Joined Mar 2013

Sep 24, 2014 16:37 as a reply to  @ grahamclarkphoto's post |  #53

Hey guys, I just wanted to update this thread as I wanted to share with you an image captured on the 6D with Canon's newest ultra-wide angle zoom - the Canon 16-35mm F4 IS. It's a great example of how the 6D performs on this new, critically sharp ultra-wide angle zoom.

Download the RAW .CR2: https://app.box.com …/nq43kib9bm78nl​l8sr0x.cr2 (external link) (20.37MB)
Click here to download the processed .TIFF: https://app.box.com …/698b0cvpv7q29z​t4gdu3.tif (external link) (111.18MB)
Click here to download the hi-res JPEG: https://app.box.com …/uod6as70lja9ad​br6rth.jpg (external link) (6.91MB)

The reason why I like this file is that it really showcases the shadow detail performance of the 6D, and it's ability to retain excellent definition and detail in areas such as the lower right quadrant of this photograph. Such small and fine details are often muddy on other cameras.

180s - F18 - ISO 50 - 16mm - Canon 6D with Canon 16-35 F4

IMAGE: http://www.grahamclarkphoto.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/09/Canon-16-35mm-F4-IS-Review-Hands-On-vs-17-40-sharpness-design-48.jpg

The 6D's dynamic range is 11.5 stops, and this scene, I estimated to be between 20 and 22 stops between the seastack rock thing and the sky. I used a 6-stop circular ND to push the exposure out, and a 3-stop and 2-stop GND to balance the exposure difference and bring the 6D's native dynamic range closer to what the scene presented me with. All in all, I love how the sensor handled the colors and dynamic range.
IMAGE: http://www.grahamclarkphoto.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/Canon-6D-with-Canon-16-35-F4-Durability.jpg

This area of extreme detail is often rendered muddy on other cameras, but the 6D has done a great job at delivering the details clear and sharp.
IMAGE: http://www.grahamclarkphoto.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/Canon-6D-with-Canon-16-35-F4-Performance.jpg

Shadow detail on the top right quadrant here is excellent. Check out the RAW file and experiment with the shadow detail. I also love how the bird on the distant ridge is captured with great detail here.
IMAGE: http://www.grahamclarkphoto.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/Canon-6D-with-Canon-16-35-F4-Design.jpg

For those who are landscape photographers, check out the review I recently published on the 16-35 F4. I was writing this for EOS Magazine, so half or so of the images I captured with this lens as part of the review were done on the Canon 6D, and I uploaded 35.7GB of images so there's quite a few more over at the review.

Canon 16-35 F4 Review: http://www.grahamclark​photo.com …-hands-on-shootout-17-40/ (external link)

If you have any questions let me know! Thanks for reading.

Graham

- -

dfbovey
Goldmember
1,602 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Sep 24, 2014 16:40 |  #54

Lester Wareham wrote in post #16633089 (external link)
+1, I made that point also.

The only thing I have found with the 6D is it can hunt more with close-up on macro lenses (much more than the 20D did); OK I normally manual focus for true macro.

Otherwise the AF is close to the 20D and I managed bird in flight with that.

My 6D would hunt so much with the 100mm f/2.8L macro, that the camera just said eff it and stopped trying completely. Froze up completely and I had to take the lens off.

Flickr (external link)
Canon 1D markIV - Canon 1D markIII - Canon 6D
Canon EF 16-35mm f/2.8L - Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L - Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L - Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS - Canon EF 400mm f/5.6L - Canon EF 500mm f/4L

grahamclarkphoto
THREAD ­ STARTER
183 posts
Joined Mar 2013

Sep 24, 2014 16:43 |  #55

dfbovey wrote in post #17175673 (external link)
My 6D would hunt so much with the 100mm f/2.8L macro, that the camera just said eff it and stopped trying completely. Froze up completely and I had to take the lens off.

Interesting! Was it that lens only? Also, were you shooting landscapes when it did that?

- -

dfbovey
Goldmember
1,602 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Sep 24, 2014 20:13 |  #56

grahamclarkphoto wrote in post #17175681 (external link)
Interesting! Was it that lens only? Also, were you shooting landscapes when it did that?

I was shooting a bee on a flower at the time. The only other two lenses I've tried on it have been the 16-35 and the 24-70 and those work fine. The 100L hasn't worked on the 6D since that day.

The other issue I've had with the camera is the build. The top part of the mode selector/power dial fell off. Very cheap feeling camera.

Been happy with the images I've been able to produce with it. Performs well as a landscape camera but the reason I bought it was for event photography. Works ok in that area but after using my wife's 5D3, I miss the focus point options on that front. But it definitely outperforms my 1D4 in regards to low light, which comes in handy if you're at a conference taking photos of people in seminars or testing and you don't want to disturb them or the speakers with a flash.

Flickr (external link)
Canon 1D markIV - Canon 1D markIII - Canon 6D
Canon EF 16-35mm f/2.8L - Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L - Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L - Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS - Canon EF 400mm f/5.6L - Canon EF 500mm f/4L

hiketheplanet
666 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined May 2013

Sep 24, 2014 20:13 as a reply to  @ grahamclarkphoto's post |  #57

Very nicely done review video, the images and scenery are stunning.

Your experiences with the 6D pretty much mirrors my own. I don't use GPS because of the battery issue, however you make a good point about the SEO aspects and I will certainly take that into consideration going forward.

Also, yes the new 16-35 f/4 IS on the 6D is a monster combination for detail!

grahamclarkphoto
THREAD ­ STARTER
183 posts
Joined Mar 2013

Sep 24, 2014 20:26 |  #58

hiketheplanet wrote in post #17175989 (external link)
Very nicely done review video, the images and scenery are stunning.

Your experiences with the 6D pretty much mirrors my own. I don't use GPS because of the battery issue, however you make a good point about the SEO aspects and I will certainly take that into consideration going forward.

Also, yes the new 16-35 f/4 IS on the 6D is a monster combination for detail!

I'm wondering when they're going to update this with a simple firmware fix! :|

- -

CRCchemist
961 posts
Joined Apr 2014

Sep 24, 2014 21:59 |  #59

Great shots, great review. I'm going to get one to compliment my 5D III and 1D X with a light weight small camera. Good job.

sponsored links

12,655 views & 0 likes for this thread
Canon 6D Review after 1+ Year of Hands-on [video review]
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.