Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Kids & Family 
Thread started 25 Sep 2014 (Thursday) 08:23
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

My Newborn Son - Help?

electricme
472 posts
Gallery: 14 photos
Joined Jul 2014

Sep 25, 2014 08:23 |  #1

So I am not very good at this type of photography, but fortunatly I have the equipment and time to get better and do our own shots. I just need some help / CC to get some creativity in my photos, here is last nights attempt.

IMAGE: http://www.jeffkimmel.com/Mason-Jeffrey/i-xHXKpNR/0/X2/IMG_0102-X2.jpg

IMAGE: http://www.jeffkimmel.com/Mason-Jeffrey/i-6t5SLzp/0/X2/IMG_0100-X2.jpg

IMAGE: http://www.jeffkimmel.com/Mason-Jeffrey/i-ST59PHv/0/X2/IMG_0114-X2.jpg

IMAGE: http://www.jeffkimmel.com/Mason-Jeffrey/i-tcXHKXp/0/X2/IMG_0112-X2.jpg

IMAGE: http://www.jeffkimmel.com/Mason-Jeffrey/i-rgH6nqZ/0/X2/IMG_0117-X2.jpg

IMAGE: http://www.jeffkimmel.com/Mason-Jeffrey/i-Cxk3QJB/0/X2/IMG_0119-X2.jpg

sponsored links
WhidbeyHiker
Goldmember
1,890 posts
Gallery: 55 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2013

Sep 25, 2014 08:29 |  #2

Actually your light is not too bad for indoors, white balance is a bit off. Using the T-shirt is making this awkward IMO. If you want to do a sports theme then I would try something other than the T-shirt, or have it on something other than the carpet.

google "baby sports portraits" to see what I mean. Just don't place him with any Tom Brady swag unless he's crying. :)

electricme
THREAD ­ STARTER
472 posts
Joined Jul 2014

Sep 25, 2014 08:56 |  #3

WhidbeyHiker wrote in post #17176744 (external link)
Actually your light is not too bad for indoors, white balance is a bit off. Using the T-shirt is making this awkward IMO. If you want to do a sports theme then I would try something other than the T-shirt, or have it on something other than the carpet.

google "baby sports portraits" to see what I mean. Just don't place him with any Tom Brady swag unless he's crying. :)

The white balance might be my monitor here at work... I have a dual setup and both are different, I need to check it on my proper setup at home. Yeah after i shot them and edited them I thought to myself these need another dimension... Ill work on that. baby photography is stressful not sure how you guys handle it.

PixelMagic
Cream of the Crop
5,546 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Sep 25, 2014 09:06 |  #4

Judging by the hard shadows below the baby it appears that you are using an on-camera flash. You would get significantly better results by using off-camera flash and a basic light monitor. You will also get softer shadows by bouncing your flash off a nearby wall to create soft, directional light.

Gear List

electricme
THREAD ­ STARTER
472 posts
Joined Jul 2014

Sep 25, 2014 09:09 |  #5

PixelMagic wrote in post #17176815 (external link)
Judging by the hard shadows below the baby it appears that you are using an on-camera flash. You would get significantly better results by using off-camera flash and a basic light monitor. You will also get softer shadows by bouncing your flash off a nearby wall to create soft, directional light.

I did use the camera off flash with a gel diffuser... I had the one with the shadows a little hot I think 1/4 power. I am looking into getting a stand and umbrella just for baby/ family photos, this is not something I want to seek out professionally.

I wanted to bounce it but it was a big room, how far does "bouncing" work (as you can tell I could use a studio lighting class)?

*edit* I see the shadows in all of them under him... Will an umbrella and stand help with this? should I get a second flash to fill underneath?

I guess that he is laying on the background doesnt help... if he were a couple feet away it wouldnt be so bad.

PixelMagic
Cream of the Crop
5,546 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Sep 25, 2014 09:19 |  #6

Forget the diffuser. Set your camera in manual mode with the shutter speed at x-sync or lower(1/125 will give you a balance between ambient light and flash). Watch the exposure meter in the camera and adjust the aperture until the indicator is about one notch below the middle marker.

Now rotate your flash head to aim a nearby wall; you will get the best results by aiming the flash head at the intersection of the wall and ceiling. Set the flash to manual power at 1/4 power, fire a test shot, and repeat and adjust flash power as needed until you get the correct exposure.

You'd be surprised how effective flashes are in even very large rooms.

Here's a website that will teach you a lot about flash photography: navigate the tutorials by clicking the link at the top of each page: http://neilvn.com …h-photography-techniques/ (external link)

Gear List

Qlayer2
OOOHHH! Pretty Moth!
941 posts
Gallery: 24 photos
Joined Dec 2013

Sep 25, 2014 10:35 |  #7

Congrats! Mine is four months old now, and we have been doing monthly photos- you can see some of them on my website in my signature. I've been using an off camera flash with an umbrella on a light stand- very basic off camera setup, and it's been working. It will get easier as he gets bigger- he will be able to hold his head up, so posing will be easier. He will also start moving more, so you will have less time to get the shot!

When they are that young, try using someone or something to help with posing- you can drape the jersey, a blanket or sheet over mom, and she can support the baby from below. We also used the boppy to help support him as well.

Maureen ­ Souza
Ms. MODERATOR     Something Spectacular!
33,716 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Feb 2005

Sep 25, 2014 13:01 |  #8

Use a sliding glass door or big windows to light your subject for a more natural & pleasing light & colors. Turn the baby towards the camera- everyone wants to see their sweet little face.
Hang the shirt up for a backdrop, put the baby on a beanbag or pile of folded towels & add a small bat & Phillies cap. Good luck !

Here is one I did for an Deputy Sheriff's newborn son.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Life is hard...but I just take it one photograph at a time.

5DMK4
7DMK2
Canon Lenses: 50/1.4, 135/2.0, 100-400mm II, 24-70/2.8 II

WhidbeyHiker
Goldmember
1,890 posts
Gallery: 55 photos
Joined Dec 2013

Sep 26, 2014 07:52 |  #9

Maureen, that is very nice.

madasax
509 posts
Joined Jun 2012

Sep 26, 2014 08:28 |  #10

Some things I do when shooting my kids / peoples kids.....I usually tend to "soften the skin" a little, and try to keep the picture with a "softer" look, keeping the sharper focus on areas like the eyes.....Keep in mind I am not a "pro" by any means. This is one I did for a co-worker, I wished I would have had the shutter speed a bit higher when shooting that day but this one was one of my favorites.

IMAGE: https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5560/15179866981_d12217c160_c.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/p8oM​Av  (external link) IMG_5162 (external link) by madasax12 (external link), on Flickr

Current Gear: 70D - Sigma 10-20 F4-5.6 - 24 2.8stm - 50 1.8 stm -

sirquack
Goldmember
2,591 posts
Gallery: 66 photos
Joined Jan 2013

Sep 26, 2014 10:30 |  #11

Gonna throw out a few things that might help. First and formost, get the baby looking in your general direction (which really means you move to whatever the direction the baby is facing). The photos are good documentary photos of what the baby looks like, but there is no realy connection since the youngster is looking in a completely different direction to where you are at.
Taking shots of kids is about waiting for those little moments that you see their eyes, they don't have to be looking at the camera even, but the eyes being open is key. Or like the photo above with the deputies items, you can have the eyes closed, but the lens is looking right at the little one.
If you want to use the Phillies jersey, make it cover the baby or as others have suggested, make it the back drop.
I am not going to slight you for the diaper, but it is not something I would want in the photos. Either crop it so you don't see it, or better yet, put some cute clothes on the new addition. It just makes for a better image without the diaper in the mix.
I am not a baby pro, so take it all with a big ol' grain of salt, but you definitely have a cute little model who is gonna grow up before you know it. Make sure to get all the pictures you can because when they grow up, they will not want to have anything to do with you. (Mine are all young men now and I am lucky if they even want to be seen with the old man. LOL)

Name is Ron.
Bodies - 6D/5D3/7D2-Gripped
Lenses - Canon 17-40 F4/24-70 F2.8 II/85 F1.8/Canon 70-200 F2.8 II/F4/Sigma 30 DC/Tamron 150-600
Website (external link)
Flickr (external link)

gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
29,817 posts
Gallery: 167 photos
Joined Dec 2006

Sep 26, 2014 11:10 |  #12

Dont skin soften or overly manipulate the eyes on kids/babies. If you have to manipulate a child's skin you are doing something wrong.

electricme
THREAD ­ STARTER
472 posts
Joined Jul 2014

Sep 26, 2014 12:08 |  #13

Thank you all great pointers/ tips. Gonzogolf, I agree with you, the only thing I did was warm up the picture a bit

madasax
509 posts
Joined Jun 2012

Sep 26, 2014 13:17 |  #14

gonzogolf wrote in post #17178868 (external link)
Dont skin soften or overly manipulate the eyes on kids/babies. If you have to manipulate a child's skin you are doing something wrong.

How is it doing something wrong? To slightly soften the skin and sharpen the eyes?

madasax
509 posts
Joined Jun 2012

Sep 26, 2014 13:19 |  #15

This is one that I did nothing to the skin and just added a bit of clarity to the eyes......I just would like to understand how this is "wrong"....I think that everyone has a different approach and nothing is really "wrong"....just help me to understand your comment.

IMAGE: https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7190/13415337253_3060b85936_c.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/mrt7​oa  (external link) IMG_9381 (external link) by madasax12 (external link), on Flickr

sponsored links

3,507 views & 0 likes for this thread
My Newborn Son - Help?
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Kids & Family 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.