Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff The Lounge 
Thread started 08 Sep 2014 (Monday) 20:30
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

creepy old guy photographing miggle school girls

PixelMagic
Cream of the Crop
5,546 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Sep 21, 2014 07:23 |  #46

I call BS.

Can you cite a single credible source for that claim? By that I mean something like the FBI Uniform Crime Statistics or such; not an "advocacy" group that exists the generate grant money through creating unreasonable fears.

Your claim sounds suspiciously like the one currently going around that 1 in 5 college aged girls are sexually assaulted on campus but only 12 percent report sexual assaults. Well, if only 12 percent report how can it be known with any certainly that 1 in 5 are raped?

losangelino wrote in post #17148609 (external link)
But about 1 in 3 girls and 1 in 5 boys are sexually abused in the us. It's a large number. Which means as a society not enough is being done.

Gear List

sponsored links
WhidbeyHiker
Goldmember
1,890 posts
Gallery: 55 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2013

Sep 21, 2014 08:03 |  #47

PixelMagic wrote in post #17168510 (external link)
I call BS.

Can you cite a single credible source for that claim? By that I mean something like the FBI Uniform Crime Statistics or such; not an "advocacy" group that exists the generate grant money through creating unreasonable fears.

Your claim sounds suspiciously like the one currently going around that 1 in 5 college aged girls are sexually assaulted on campus but only 12 percent report sexual assaults. Well, if only 12 percent report how can it be known with any certainly that 1 in 5 are raped?

Whether it is 1 in 5 or not is immaterial to the fact that it happens way to frequently. The CDC doesn't give specific numbers but they DO cite a document by one of these organizations that specifies that 1-6 girls and 1-4 boys are sexually assaulted. These groups do not solely exist to generate fear and revenue as you assert.

12% is greater than 1-10 and with the absolute knowledge that many if not most go unreported a rate of 1-5 is a very reasonable number for a very unreasonable activity.

PixelMagic
Cream of the Crop
5,546 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Sep 21, 2014 08:57 |  #48

If that is even remotely true why then are women flocking to college campuses? Women are more than 60 percent of college enrollees. So why are they knowingly putting themselves at risk?

The 1 in 5 statistic comes from a internet based survey of undergraduate women at 2 large public universities. In other words, since it was web based anyone could reply with the most spurious claims and there was no statistical control. Also, it is an extrapolation of behavior on thousands of campuses from a survey of just 2.

WhidbeyHiker wrote in post #17168550 (external link)
Whether it is 1 in 5 or not is immaterial to the fact that it happens way to frequently. The CDC doesn't give specific numbers but they DO cite a document by one of these organizations that specifies that 1-6 girls and 1-4 boys are sexually assaulted. These groups do not solely exist to generate fear and revenue as you assert.

12% is greater than 1-10 and with the absolute knowledge that many if not most go unreported a rate of 1-5 is a very reasonable number for a very unreasonable activity.

Gear List

20droger
Cream of the Crop
14,685 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Sep 21, 2014 09:22 as a reply to  @ PixelMagic's post |  #49

I can generate statistics to support any point I care to make. Real statistics, based on real samples. It's just a matter of carefully choosing your data.

Which supports my point that 95% of all statistical surveys are false. Including this one.

Photographing, or even ogling, miggle school girls, however....

Well maybe it was a creepy old wizzard, and the OP made a classic "i-u" typo....

OhLook
you get what you get
19,485 posts
Gallery: 74 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Dec 2012

Sep 21, 2014 10:58 |  #50

PixelMagic wrote in post #17168626 (external link)
If that is even remotely true why then are women flocking to college campuses? Women are more than 60 percent of college enrollees. So why are they knowingly putting themselves at risk?

You really asked that question?

Women attend college because they want an education.

If they stayed in their home towns instead of going to college, they might be sexually assaulted anyway. It's something about young men.

PRONOUN ADVISORY: OhLook is a she. | A FEW CORRECT SPELLINGS: lens, aperture, amateur, hobbyist, per se, raccoon, whoa, more so (2 wds.), shoo-in | Comments welcome

pwm2
"Sorry for being a noob"
8,626 posts
Joined May 2007

Sep 21, 2014 10:59 |  #51

OhLook wrote in post #17168826 (external link)
It's something about young men.

Why limit it to just young men?

5DMk2 + BG-E6 | 40D + BG-E2N | 350D + BG-E3 + RC-1 | Elan 7E | Minolta Dimage 7U | (Gear thread)
10-22 | 16-35/2.8 L II | 20-35 | 24-105 L IS | 28-135 IS | 40/2.8 | 50/1.8 II | 70-200/2.8 L IS | 100/2.8 L IS | 100-400 L IS | Sigma 18-200DC
Speedlite 420EZ | Speedlite 580EX | EF 1.4x II | EF 2x II

Tedder
379 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Sep 21, 2014 11:32 |  #52

PixelMagic wrote in post #17168510 (external link)
I call BS.

"B.S." for bogus statistic. It is obviously that.

But it serves an agenda.

Tedder Stephenson's Flickr (external link)
Various Items (external link) Mineral Matters (external link) The Bench (external link) Tracks (external link) Cars and Stripes (external link) Behind the Wheel (external link) Shadows of Turning (external link) Circles of Confusion (external link) Waterous Disturbulations (external link)

Justinsmnz
Goldmember
1,100 posts
Joined Feb 2014

Sep 21, 2014 12:32 |  #53

This is a joke, right?

You drive a car, right? You eat at restaurants, right? When you do those things, why are you knowingly putting yourself at risk?

The 1 in 5 statistic comes from a internet based survey of undergraduate women at 2 large public universities. In other words, since it was web based anyone could reply with the most spurious claims and there was no statistical control. Also, it is an extrapolation of behavior on thousands of campuses from a survey of just 2.

So you'd be willing to tell a woman who was raped that it's really nothing to worry about because there's not sufficient evidence that it happens frequently enough? I teach at the University of Florida and in the last month there have been four highly publicized cases of attempted sexual assaults on female students. Would you personally sit in a room with those four girls and tell them that because there are over 20,000 other female students on campus that they should just suck it up because their attacks were not statistically relevant?

This isn't a "wake up, sheeple!" situation. Sexual assault is a real problem that affects FAR too many people, yet you're attempting to convince us that we shouldn't be too bothered by its potential for lack of specific statistics. What's your end game in a conversation like this?

flickr (external link)

WhidbeyHiker
Goldmember
1,890 posts
Gallery: 55 photos
Joined Dec 2013

Sep 21, 2014 13:04 |  #54

YOU said 12%. That is the statistic I referred to. Anecdotally one can reasonably assume that the real rate is higher. Even based on your OWN assertion the rate is ridiculously high. As for why women would go to college, I won't answer that, enough people already have. FYI, 12% is greater than 1-10 and it is safe to assume that is not the real number and that it is most likely under-reported due to the way we have historically treated the victims.

You elude to some agenda, the only agenda I see is yours but maybe I'm biased.

Didereaux
415 posts
Gallery: 60 photos
Joined Jun 2014

Sep 23, 2014 20:01 |  #55

I agree with Dean Chiang, and Tedder! This country has almost given up every guaranteed right in order to achieve the most shallow, false sense of security.

And the more we isolate ourselves from personal contact, the worse it will get. Until nothing remains except fear.

Couple of Canon bodies, a couple of Canon lens, few gadgets all stuffed in a bag...and a stick, and a tripod.
https://www.flickr.com …ringandmontepho​tos/albums (external link)

hiketheplanet
666 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined May 2013

Sep 25, 2014 14:54 as a reply to  @ Didereaux's post |  #56

These stats are from a 2 college survey, and a very questionable one at that. The evidence shows the number is somewhere between 1/5 and 1/40, and that includes questionable reports of borderline date rape cases where many times there are some gray areas. I'm not defending anyone's actions here, but these numbers are often inflated for someone's agenda. 1 in 3 girls? 1 in 5 boys? Sorry, no way is that close to reality. Pick 10 of your closest friends and you're unlikely to find 1 that's been sexually abused. This is just utter fricking hysterical nonsense. I don't want to down play true criminals and their victims of these situations, but c'mon, use your head and sniff the BS here. If I actually thought that number was true, I wouldn't allow my daughter, or my son for that matter attend college. Absoulte BS.

pwm2
"Sorry for being a noob"
8,626 posts
Joined May 2007

Sep 25, 2014 15:11 |  #57

hiketheplanet wrote in post #17177445 (external link)
Pick 10 of your closest friends and you're unlikely to find 1 that's been sexually abused.

But lots of people don't dare to admit that they have been abused until they are 30 or 40 years old. It's way easier to admit anonymously.

5DMk2 + BG-E6 | 40D + BG-E2N | 350D + BG-E3 + RC-1 | Elan 7E | Minolta Dimage 7U | (Gear thread)
10-22 | 16-35/2.8 L II | 20-35 | 24-105 L IS | 28-135 IS | 40/2.8 | 50/1.8 II | 70-200/2.8 L IS | 100/2.8 L IS | 100-400 L IS | Sigma 18-200DC

OhLook
you get what you get
19,485 posts
Joined Dec 2012

Sep 25, 2014 16:22 |  #58

hiketheplanet wrote in post #17177445 (external link)
Pick 10 of your closest friends and you're unlikely to find 1 that's been sexually abused.

What's your source for that statement? Would you, by any chance, be making up the numbers? I think the opposite is true. Finding 1 or more out of 10 is very likely.

pwm2 wrote in post #17177483 (external link)
But lots of people don't dare to admit that they have been abused until they are 30 or 40 years old. It's way easier to admit anonymously.

There are also those who don't remember until they're 30 or 40, or maybe ever.

PRONOUN ADVISORY: OhLook is a she. | A FEW CORRECT SPELLINGS: lens, aperture, amateur, hobbyist, per se, raccoon, whoa, more so (2 wds.), shoo-in | Comments welcome

pwm2
"Sorry for being a noob"
8,626 posts
Joined May 2007

Sep 25, 2014 16:40 |  #59

OhLook wrote in post #17177621 (external link)
What's your source for that statement? Would you, by any chance, be making up the numbers? I think the opposite is true. Finding 1 or more out of 10 is very likely.

There are also those who don't remember until they're 30 or 40, or maybe ever.

I don't think too many forgets. But some people don't understand until they are grown up and have own children that things maybe should have been different.

OhLook
you get what you get
19,485 posts
Joined Dec 2012

Sep 25, 2014 16:57 |  #60

pwm2 wrote in post #17177651 (external link)
I don't think too many forgets.

I think more forgets than one would imagine. What's in a person's past doesn't necessarily show, and certainly not to a casual observer.

sponsored links

9,457 views & 0 likes for this thread
creepy old guy photographing miggle school girls
FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff The Lounge 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.