Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
Thread started 24 Sep 2014 (Wednesday) 22:44
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

PeakDesign Anchor Links and BlackRapid together

ekinnyc
784 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Sep 24, 2014 22:44 |  #1

Anyone using an Anchor Link attached to the BR anchor?

i'd like to use this setup to have my BR strap and the Clutch hand strap available at the same time, but i am hesitant about the "edge" of the BR anchor wearing out the string on the Anchor Link

IMAGE: https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3848/15160721570_ff13ffd860.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/p6GE​kd  (external link) Untitled (external link) by ekinnyc (external link), on Flickr

6D| 35mm f/2 IS
Buying/Selling Feedback

sponsored links
NManuel01
753 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Aug 2011

Sep 25, 2014 00:53 |  #2

Sand down the sharp edge a bit

6D, 70-200 MKii F2.8, Tamron 24-70mm, Canon 40mm
Eos M, 18-55mm, 20mm
Alienbee 800, Canon 430exii, Canon 90ex

Grand_gator
222 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Sep 25, 2014 04:46 |  #3

Or get the new black version that it is rubber coated... I might en up using that combination myself, thanks for the idea and picture.

5Diii / 70-200 L IS II / 100-400 L IS II / 24-105 L IS / 100mm 2.8 L Macro IS / Σ 35mm 1.4 Art / Σ 85mm 1.4 Art / EF-S 10-22mm / EF-S 17-55mm IS / EF 70-300mm IS / 50mm 1.8 II / 600 EX RT + 430 EX II

ekinnyc
THREAD ­ STARTER
784 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Sep 25, 2014 12:45 |  #4

looking at the BR site, looks like they offer a Fastnr for use with tripods, where it would replace the stock bolt. this may be another solution - PD sells the ProDrive bolt for use with straps. if this can be replaced in the standard plate that ships with Clutch, this would be the best of both worlds - hand strap ready, BR strap ready, AND Tripod ready!

https://peakdesign.com​/store/pro-drive-screw (external link)

i will reach out to them to see if this can be done!

6D| 35mm f/2 IS
Buying/Selling Feedback

Mark-B
Goldmember
2,248 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Sep 25, 2014 17:12 |  #5

ekinnyc wrote in post #17176186 (external link)
i'd like to use this setup to have my BR strap and the Clutch hand strap available at the same time, but i am hesitant about the "edge" of the BR anchor wearing out the string on the Anchor Link

Should be OK since this is what the "string" is made out of:

"Vectran® is a high-performance multifilament yarn spun from liquid crystal polymer (LCP). Vectran® is the only commercially available melt spun LCP fiber in the world. Vectran® fiber exhibits exceptional strength and rigidity. Pound for pound Vectran® fiber is five times stronger than steel and ten times stronger than aluminum."

As far as the Black Rapid screw, are the edges that much different from the one Peak Design sells? https://peakdesign.com​/store/pro-drive-screw (external link)

Mark-B
msbphoto.comexternal link

ekinnyc
THREAD ­ STARTER
784 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Sep 25, 2014 23:02 |  #6

They offer a packaged replacement so I'm guessing it's still subject to some wear and tear. You have a point in comparing the edges of the two fasteners, though the pro drive seems to have somewhat more rounded edges. This combo does offer having a plate on the camera, along with handstrap and sling strap mount, so there's still a marginal benefit there

6D| 35mm f/2 IS
Buying/Selling Feedback

Mark-B
Goldmember
2,248 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Sep 26, 2014 10:32 |  #7

ekinnyc wrote in post #17178134 (external link)
They offer a packaged replacement so I'm guessing it's still subject to some wear and tear.

The extra ones you can buy aren't replacements for existing ones that have suffered wear; they are additional units you can attach to other bodies or different gear so you can just move your strap from item to item without having to also move the connectors.

These products really haven't been around long enough to say for certain how durable they are, but mine are still in near perfect condition after daily use since December 2012. The finish has gone from a mild shine to very dull, but there's no fraying or anything of that sort.

Mark-B

Charlie
Guess What! I'm Pregnant!
16,315 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Sep 26, 2014 14:17 |  #8

bad idea.

Obviously, the rope/string cannot rotate 360 degrees without causing tension in the reverse direction. If the tension starts going CCW, you're likely to have a camera on the floor.

If you have two connection points, you'll be fine, but really bad idea if you have just one. The black rapid hook can spin freely, and even then, the mount can loosen.

Sony A7riii/A9 - FE 12-24/4 - FE 24-240 - SY 24/2.8 - FE 28/2 - FE 35/2.8 - FE 50/1.8 - FE 85/1.8 - EF 135/1.8 Art - F 600/5.6 - CZ 100-300 - Astro Rok 14/2.8 - Tamron 17-28/2.8 - 28-75/2.8 RXD, 70-200/2.8 VC

Mark-B
Goldmember
2,248 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Sep 26, 2014 15:11 |  #9

Charlie wrote in post #17179175 (external link)
Obviously, the rope/string cannot rotate 360 degrees without causing tension in the reverse direction. If the tension starts going CCW, you're likely to have a camera on the floor.

Wondering what kind of shooting you are doing that has your camera spinning 360º? Might be time to consider something like the Cotton Carrier Chest Harness once you get to that point.

Mark-B

Charlie
16,315 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Sep 26, 2014 18:51 |  #10

Mark-B wrote in post #17179283 (external link)
Wondering what kind of shooting you are doing that has your camera spinning 360º? Might be time to consider something like the Cotton Carrier Chest Harness once you get to that point.

you really dont have to do any shooting to have the camera spinning. Walking throught a crowd, and the camera does a 360, wouldnt be uncommon. Putting the camera with strap in the bag can get it slightly tangled. Taking your strap off and on in general would give the strap a chance to tangle and twist. I wouldnt underestimate a small detail to have your system hit the floor. I certainly wouldnt want to check for tangles every time I shoot either, what a hassle.

Sony A7riii/A9 - FE 12-24/4 - FE 24-240 - SY 24/2.8 - FE 28/2 - FE 35/2.8 - FE 50/1.8 - FE 85/1.8 - EF 135/1.8 Art - F 600/5.6 - CZ 100-300 - Astro Rok 14/2.8 - Tamron 17-28/2.8 - 28-75/2.8 RXD, 70-200/2.8 VC

ekinnyc
THREAD ­ STARTER
784 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Sep 26, 2014 19:31 |  #11

Not sure how using a handstrap can cause enoughg torque on a single point to get the fastener out. The amount of force needed to torque an object at its pivot is tremendous (try opening a door by pushing on it right by its hinge)

With the handstrap attached at the strap mount, there's no way the handstrap can get tangled. I remove the br strap when camera is in the bag, only clip it in when I need to use it. Even then, the amount of spin needed for your strap to start torquing, it needs to basically be twisted into a braid

That being said, I always check the fastener for tightness when I use my br strap :)

6D| 35mm f/2 IS
Buying/Selling Feedback

Charlie
16,315 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Sep 26, 2014 23:08 |  #12

ekinnyc wrote in post #17179645 (external link)
Not sure how using a handstrap can cause enoughg torque on a single point to get the fastener out. The amount of force needed to torque an object at its pivot is tremendous (try opening a door by pushing on it right by its hinge)

With the handstrap attached at the strap mount, there's no way the handstrap can get tangled. I remove the br strap when camera is in the bag, only clip it in when I need to use it. Even then, the amount of spin needed for your strap to start torquing, it needs to basically be twisted into a braid

That being said, I always check the fastener for tightness when I use my br strap :)

I understand the torque concept, and with that theory, no black rapid strap should come apart(free spinning connection), but its certainly possible and it happens.

Mark-B
Goldmember
2,248 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Sep 27, 2014 13:20 |  #13

Charlie wrote in post #17179598 (external link)
you really dont have to do any shooting to have the camera spinning. Walking throught a crowd, and the camera does a 360, wouldnt be uncommon.

Not only would it be uncommon for me, but it would be nearly impossible. Walking with the camera back against my body, it bounces a little side to side or back and forth, but does not spin. Walking with the camera side against my body, it still does not spin but still could not spin more than 180º even if it did because the lens would act as a stop for the spinning motion every time it hit my body. Anyway, after nearly 2 years of solid use, I can say that my camera has never had a problem with spinning while waling, hiking, or climbing.

Putting the camera with strap in the bag can get it slightly tangled.

Can and does, but this does not put pressure on the areas where the anchor cord contacts the bolt, plate, etc.

Taking your strap off and on in general would give the strap a chance to tangle and twist.

No, because both your camera and strap will be still when you remove the strap. It's most likely going to be on a tripod or sitting on a flat surface when you remove the strap. No stress here.

Mark-B

gakoenig
427 posts
Joined Feb 2010

Sep 27, 2014 14:57 |  #14

A lot of people think the big stress on tripod socket mounted stuff is twisting. Depending on the accessory you are attaching, the design of the mount screw, the grip pattern and use case, that *can* be a factor.

The bigger one, in our experience though, is severe temperature changes. For example, the only time we've ever had a customer write support complaining about the PodMount coming loose was a gentleman on an extended trip to India as a consultant. He was staying in a high-end downtown hotel and would go on walks in the afternoon and evening. The hotel had a massive AC system that turned the air from wicked Indian hot to 68 degrees as soon as you walked through the door. The constant temperature change caused differential expansion and contraction rates on the tripod socket (nickel plated steel, relatively thin) and our PodMount (machined 304 stainless, solid). This caused the PodMount to loosen somewhat regularly.

Normally, any engineer would call-out a critical screw (or any screw) to be backed up with some sort of locking device - spring washer, Loctite, aircraft wire (at the extreme end). With tripod stuff though, the need to install/remove accessories makes deploying such techniques difficult. The *best* solution is a permanent plate fastened to the camera with blue Loctite.

http://lu.ma (external link), greg@luma-labs.com (external link)

Snydremark
my very own Lightrules moment
18,539 posts
Gallery: 49 photos
Joined Mar 2009

Sep 27, 2014 15:37 |  #15

While this ought to work fine, I don't understand why you'd combine those. It removes one of the core bonuses to the Capture system; having access to the tripod mount without having to unscrew anything. Is there something in particular you're trying to accomplish that either system alone doesn't do?

- Eric S.: My Birds/Wildlife (external link) (7D MkII/5D IV, Canon 10-22 f/3.5-4.5, Canon 24-105L f/4 IS, Canon 70-200L f/2.8 IS MkII, Canon 100-400L f/4.5-5.6 IS I/II)
"The easiest way to improve your photos is to adjust the loose nut between the shutter release and the ground."

sponsored links

4,925 views & 0 likes for this thread
PeakDesign Anchor Links and BlackRapid together
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.