Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
Thread started 22 Sep 2014 (Monday) 08:00
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Clients from Hell

CRCchemist
961 posts
Joined Apr 2014

Sep 25, 2014 10:51 |  #31

sirquack wrote in post #17176766 (external link)
The issue I see with the original $400 job creeping to $1000 is the client has changed things several times, requiring possibly rescheduling other clients on that day. Which does not sound like it is the case here. But I would also dare to venture that the client would also show up with more people, and other demands on the day of the shoot requiring yet another change in the contract. Then you have to deal with them not liking the photos, even if they are stunning to try to reduce the overall cost of the shoot.
In any case, they pre-pay for the entire shoot before I would even get my gear out of the car.

Exactly my thoughts. And I am requiring payment up front, for sure, if they agree to the $1,000. I just get extremely cautious when I have a client doing this. I call it project creep, and something like this rarely happens. But it happens from time to time and in the past, this is usually portentous that there are more changes that are going to happen. It's just ironic because the timing of this original post is similar to what I am dealing with this week.

sponsored links
Hillbille
530 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Sep 25, 2014 11:46 |  #32

FerozeK wrote in post #17170644 (external link)
From a site I follow, did not happen to me........yet :rolleyes:

When you contact me via my website, a few drop-down menus offer some options for the services you might be interested in. It helps me sort jobs and gives me some more initial info on what the client wants.

I received an email from a client telling me they’re after a single half-hour profile shoot, which is offered for people that need a couple of headshots for business or LinkedIn profiles, etc.

This being such a small service, there’s no need for a face-to-face, so we correspond by email. She asks me to meet her at a particular time and place. She wants the natural light offered by the location, and doesn’t need external lighting. I bring my basic kit: tripod, monopod, DSLR, a couple of lenses, and a flash for fill light if needed.

I get to the location. The client is wearing a wedding dress and is surrounded by six other women in matching bridesmaid dresses. She stands up and thanks me for coming. I’m assuming the worst, but I ask anyway:

Me: What’s with the wedding getup? Is it a fitting or a dress rehearsal and I just happen to be getting some profile shots at the same location?

Nope. It’s actually her wedding day, and she’s hired me as the photographer. She starts telling me all about how she wants shots of the people mingling outside, her and her bridesmaids, the groom and groomsmen, and how I ‘should be able to work out the usual stuff on my own.’

I asked her why she told me it was a profile shoot when it was actually a wedding, saying I was dangerously unprepared for a wedding shoot. She tells me - proud of being so cunning - that she figured I’d charge her wedding rates, so she’d get a better deal if she told me it was just a cheaper shoot. I told her that’s not how it works, and gave her my usual price for a wedding. She just shook her head and said:

Client: I’ll give you the price we agreed to and I signed a contract for. Besides, you said you were unprepared - a real pro would be ready for anything!

I chose to leave.

http://clientsfromhell​.net …bsite-a-few#disqus_thread (external link)

Take the money - shoot the photos - crop them to be "profile" shots. What's the problem?

Oh - you wanted wedding photos - well that's a whole different story with a completely different price range! LOL!! And - oddly enough THOSE photos are available - for the standard "wedding" shoot price quoted on the website. Pay for profile - you GET profile.

You are a business - give her EXACTLY what she paid for. Nothing more and nothing less.

Hillbille

Rebel T2i, XS, Rebel T3; EF-S 70 - 300mm non L; EF-S 55 - 250mm; 50mm 1.8; 18 - 55 kit; YN-560; YN-468 - Pure Fun and Raw excitement.

Karl ­ Johnston
Cream of the Crop
9,334 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Sep 25, 2014 12:24 |  #33
bannedPermanent ban

I doubt that this happened
perhaps in someone's overactive imagination :p

Adventurous Photographer, Writer (external link) & Wedding Photographer (external link)

the ­ flying ­ moose
Goldmember
1,639 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Sep 25, 2014 13:43 |  #34

Thankfully I have never had this happen in photography before but I have had it when I taught golf. To do a lesson I would have to book spots on the range and I only allotted a certain amount of time per student. One time I had a guy show up with 3 friends wanting a 2 hour group lesson when he only booked a 30 minute single lesson. He told me that he couldn't book a group lesson as I was quite busy so he thought if he showed up with a group I would have no choice but to accommodate him. He was shocked when I told him no, that not only did I not have the space booked, but I didn't have the time as I had other students booked.

davidfig
we over look the simplest things
3,275 posts
Joined May 2005

Sep 25, 2014 17:54 |  #35

Interesting....... I would have set her up for the single half-hour profile shoot, got the shot and then left. This way I met what I agreed too and she would understand the difference better. I can believe that people would try this. I've had similar things like "sorry I only have $400" can you do the wedding for that. ...... pause........ Ah no.

5D | 17-40L | Tammy 28-75 2.8 | 28-135 | 50/1.8 | 85/1.8 | Sony A6000 2-Lens Kit | SEL35 1.8 | EF 50 1.8 on NEX as my 75mm 1.8

FerozeK
THREAD ­ STARTER
250 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Sep 26, 2014 02:48 |  #36

Karl Johnston wrote in post #17177166 (external link)

Why would you say that?

Ive dealt with enough clients over the years and have had a lot of them try and pull some stunt. My absolute favourite is when they offer you lots of potential work in the future if you do this one for them cheaply or free. If you think photographers get no respect try being a graphic designer or a web developer. Clients feel they don't have to pay you because you creating something out of nothing, since there's no raw material involved what are we charging them for!

Nick5
Goldmember
3,096 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Sep 26, 2014 07:27 |  #37

I just tell them to go to work for 20% of their salary for the next week.........That puts it in perspective.

Canon 5D Mark III (x2), BG-E11 Grips, 7D (x2) BG-E7 Grips, Canon Lenses 16-35 f/4 L IS, 17-40 f/4 L, 24-70 f/4 L IS, 70-200 f/2.8 L IS II, 70-200 f/4 L IS, 70-200 f/4 L IS Version II, 100-400 f/4.5-5.6 L IS Version II, TS-E 24 f/3.5 L II, 100 f/2.8 L Macro IS, 10-22 f3.5-4.5, 17-55 f/2.8 L IS, 85 f/1.8, Canon 1.4 Extender III, 5 Canon 600 EX-RT, 2 Canon ST-E3 Transmitters, Canon Pixma PRO-10 Printer

sirquack
Goldmember
2,560 posts
Gallery: 65 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Jan 2013

Sep 26, 2014 10:08 |  #38

Not exactly on topic, but I see this type of thing as part of the issue with instant gratification society that we have become. Photography is a creative art and because of it, we don't necessarily get seen as being the creator of the art. Most would have no idea that cost of equipment needed to get the lighting right, or the cost of the camera and lenses to get the shot they are asking us to create. And since we don't necessarily burn product to create the art, they don't see it costing much.
But like with anything, they bring the "customer is always right" mentality with them. I have turned down people straight away that come to me with, you gave so and so a free shot to build your portfolio, do the same for me. I shouldn't have to explain that so and so is my good friend, or I approached them because they look like a model, whereas the person asking now looks unlike a model.
Sorry Rant Over.

Name is Ron.
Bodies - 6D/5D3/7D2-Gripped
Lenses - Canon 17-40 F4/24-70 F2.8 II/85 F1.8/Canon 70-200 F2.8 II/F4/Sigma 30 DC/Tamron 150-600
Website (external link)
Flickr (external link)

Traci_Ann
I'm a masochist
3,526 posts
Gallery: 10 photos
Joined May 2005

Sep 26, 2014 20:40 |  #39

Karl Johnston wrote in post #17177166 (external link)

I can easily see this happening. I own and auto repair shop and customers do this occasionally. Schedule for one simple job, we allot XX amount of time then they show up and add a list of items that need addressed. Now we need to spend 4x the amount of time. Either put them or other scheduled customers off.

Sevas Tra...

photoguy6405
Cream of the Crop
5,306 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Feb 2008

Sep 27, 2014 15:46 as a reply to  @ Traci_Ann's post |  #40

It (the OP) does seem extremely unlikely and outrageous, but quite often truth is stranger than fiction.

Website: Iowa Landscape Photography (external link) | Blog (external link) | Gear List & Feedback
Equipment For Sale: Canon PowerShot A95

photoguy6405
Cream of the Crop
5,306 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Feb 2008

Sep 27, 2014 15:50 |  #41

CRCchemist wrote in post #17176423 (external link)
Something similar to this is happening to us is week. We have a shoot scheduled for the 28th, client initially told me that it was one person and we'd be working on the shoot for about 2 hours in studio. I quoted $400 and they were happy with that. Yesterday, on the phone we discover 3 people have been added to the job. So I increased it to $600 for the additional work and time required for the in-studio work.

Today, I was just informed by my colleague that the job just became an outdoors on-location shoot and we're going to have to be there shooting from 8:30 AM to after 2:00 PM. I'm about to call them tomorrow afternoon and tell them the project creep is going to require us to charge $1,000 for this insane job.

I'd rather walk from it to be honest.

At the last increase in scope I'd have probably told them something like, "I'm sorry, but I already have another project scheduled for that time. I cannot possibly accommodate your request.", and hope the whole thing is simply called off.

My "other project" might be going to treat myself to an ice cream cone, doesn't matter. Honestly, this would make me think they're going to be just as demanding and unreasonable during and after the shoot as well, to the point of making no amount of money worth the hassle.

Website: Iowa Landscape Photography (external link) | Blog (external link) | Gear List & Feedback
Equipment For Sale: Canon PowerShot A95

dodgyexposure
Goldmember
2,872 posts
Gallery: 14 photos
Joined Jul 2012

Sep 28, 2014 18:31 |  #42

sirquack wrote in post #17178770 (external link)
person ... looks unlike a model.

bw!

Cheers, Damien

sponsored links

7,031 views & 0 likes for this thread
Clients from Hell
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.