Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Macro 
Thread started 25 Sep 2014 (Thursday) 14:40
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Still using tubes :)

MedicineMan4040
The Magic Johnson of Cameras
17,918 posts
Gallery: 1798 photos
Best ofs: 7
Joined Jul 2013

Sep 26, 2014 01:22 |  #16

Not real macro? Could have fooled me. Great shots, all of them.

flickr (external link)
Vid Collection: https://www.youtube.co​m/user/medicineman4040 (external link)

sponsored links
modestglock26
THREAD ­ STARTER
293 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Apr 2014

Sep 26, 2014 15:37 |  #17

Thank you all for the kind words. I guess I feel like the way I'm going about shooting them is not true "macro" but maybe it's in my head.

I feel like I really would enjoy the 100mm 2.8 cheaper entry lens which will be my next lens purchase. I just need to pace myself.

I got the stackable tubes on amazon a while back that allow communication with the lens. I just need to really get the basics down and use a tripod and a controlled environment to learn.

I'm absolutely amazes me at the macro shots I see of insects here. To see the individual eye lenses on them is my goal.

Sony A7ii and a Ricoh GR II with just about no skill

Archibald
You must be quackers!
8,550 posts
Gallery: 387 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined May 2008

Sep 26, 2014 16:02 |  #18

Great shots. You can do a lot with a 50mm and tubes. And more tubes will get you even closer.

I would avoid a tripod, though, unless you are shooting stuff that is staying put, like mushrooms, or dead bugs.

The word "macro" has taken on many meanings, so who knows what it really means.

Regardless, the closer you get, the more challenges there are. The big problems in getting good handheld super closeup shots are things like good focus, good DOF, soft lighting, and stopping motion (both of the subject and camera). Diffused flash lighting helps all those things. That is a subject unto itself, though, but well worth pursuing, and may be more important than the lens.

Sony RX10 IV, Canon 7D2, Canon 77D, assorted Canon lenses
C&C always welcome.
Picture editing OK
Donate to POTN here

modestglock26
THREAD ­ STARTER
293 posts
Joined Apr 2014

Sep 26, 2014 16:29 |  #19

Archibald wrote in post #17179367 (external link)
Great shots. You can do a lot with a 50mm and tubes. And more tubes will get you even closer.

I would avoid a tripod, though, unless you are shooting stuff that is staying put, like mushrooms, or dead bugs.

The word "macro" has taken on many meanings, so who knows what it really means.

Regardless, the closer you get, the more challenges there are. The big problems in getting good handheld super closeup shots are things like good focus, good DOF, soft lighting, and stopping motion (both of the subject and camera). Diffused flash lighting helps all those things. That is a subject unto itself, though, but well worth pursuing, and may be more important than the lens.

I have a 3 tube set that I got a while back for cheap. I wanted to dabble with macro and was trying to put most of my funds into a body at the time. The set I bought has the 13mm, 21mm and 31mm tubes. I only used the 13mm this time because the problem I'm currently having is that I have to get wayyyy too close with them stack and the bugs run away from me.

I have used them stacked for some cool leaf details indoors with no wind or other issues going on. I had the 50mm 1.4 nearby this time, so it was just the lucky one to be paired up. I think it did a decent job. My next attempts with live bugs might enlist the help of the 21mm. I just can't get them to stop running away from me.

modestglock26
THREAD ­ STARTER
293 posts
Joined Apr 2014

Sep 26, 2014 16:33 |  #20

For moving bugs, critters or other outdoors shots, do you all think I should look into getting the lighting setup that mounts around the ring of the lens? Not sure if this would help me with these shots outside allowing me some higher f-stop numbers and faster shutter speeds? Or would those not help me too much with what I'm using for gear?

Archibald
You must be quackers!
8,550 posts
Joined May 2008

Sep 26, 2014 16:50 |  #21

modestglock26 wrote in post #17179430 (external link)
For moving bugs, critters or other outdoors shots, do you all think I should look into getting the lighting setup that mounts around the ring of the lens? Not sure if this would help me with these shots outside allowing me some higher f-stop numbers and faster shutter speeds? Or would those not help me too much with what I'm using for gear?

A ring light is very expensive and gives unattractive reflections and too-flat illumination. So I would avoid that. The Canon twin flash is much better, but is also very expensive, and gives harsh light.

Most here at POTN use homemade diffusers on small flash units. There are many designs. Look up the Pringles can diffuser.

I have made a couple diffusers but am still experimenting.

To get more working distance you will need a longer focal length lens. Of course those are very expensive. Maybe work with the 50mm until you know you are committed to macro, then get the lens you need.

C&C always welcome.
Picture editing OK
Donate to POTN here

Archibald
You must be quackers!
8,550 posts
Joined May 2008

Sep 26, 2014 17:00 |  #22

I should add that you can get excellent closeup shots and great working distance using a Canon 500D closeup lens on a telephoto lens - say 200-300mm. This could be a good alternative if you have such a lens (a zoom works fine).

C&C always welcome.
Picture editing OK
Donate to POTN here

modestglock26
THREAD ­ STARTER
293 posts
Joined Apr 2014

Sep 26, 2014 20:10 |  #23

Archibald wrote in post #17179471 (external link)
I should add that you can get excellent closeup shots and great working distance using a Canon 500D closeup lens on a telephoto lens - say 200-300mm. This could be a good alternative if you have such a lens (a zoom works fine).

I do have a Canon 70-300mm USM IS that might be along the line of what you're saying.

Archibald
You must be quackers!
8,550 posts
Joined May 2008

Sep 26, 2014 20:18 |  #24

modestglock26 wrote in post #17179691 (external link)
I do have a Canon 70-300mm USM IS that might be along the line of what you're saying.

With my 70-300 I get around .9X at 300mm with the 500D, and the working distance is around 18 inches. Zooming in reduces magnification but working distance stays about the same. So the combo is very versatile.

Image quality is great IMO.

C&C always welcome.
Picture editing OK
Donate to POTN here

modestglock26
THREAD ­ STARTER
293 posts
Joined Apr 2014

Sep 26, 2014 20:58 |  #25

Archibald wrote in post #17179701 (external link)
With my 70-300 I get around .9X at 300mm with the 500D, and the working distance is around 18 inches. Zooming in reduces magnification but working distance stays about the same. So the combo is very versatile.

Image quality is great IMO.

Thanks for the info. I'll have to look into that.

khhuang
28 posts
Joined Sep 2014

Sep 26, 2014 21:18 |  #26

modestglock26 wrote in post #17179420 (external link)
I have a 3 tube set that I got a while back for cheap. I wanted to dabble with macro and was trying to put most of my funds into a body at the time. The set I bought has the 13mm, 21mm and 31mm tubes.

I have the same plan. I might still using the tubes for a little while. I was out there with all the winds yesterday while taking pictures of the wasps. It was a little bit scary when the wind blow. I used the 18-55kit lens on 20D (bought it used on Ebay several weeks ago) with all three rings (from Amazon, 12, 20 and 36mm). I like the outcome but still need more practice to put the focus on the right spot. What ruined the pictures is the dirty sensor. I need to clean it up.

PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://i24.photobucket​.com …73800x533_zps65​488ace.jpg (external link)

http://i24.photobucket​.com …34800x533_zps2d​4339d9.jpg (external link)

http://i24.photobucket​.com …94800x533_zpsc8​e798e8.jpg (external link)

http://i24.photobucket​.com …98800x533_zps49​20ae86.jpg (external link)

My field trips, experiments and observations http://science-journey.blogspot.com/ (external link)
Equipments: Canon EOS T1i, Canon EOS 20D, 18-55mm, 55-250mm IS, 50mm f1.8 II, Sigma 170-500mm APO, Zeikos Close-up 1+, 2+, 4+, 10+, Yongnuo Speedlight YN560

StarJack
604 posts
Joined Oct 2005

Sep 26, 2014 23:55 |  #27

modestglock26 wrote in post #17177939 (external link)
Thanks!

Thanks for the ID on it as well. I don't what any of these backyard finds are, I just really don't want to get bit or stung in the process. I had a "moment" the other week. I went out in the woods looking for stuff to shoot in my backyard and when I came out I felt a tickle on my neck. As I turned to the left to see what it was, a massive black and yellow garden spider went from my neck to my left cheek and my eye.

Being the man of nature that I am, and with my camera strapped to my right hand, I proceeded to punch myself in the face with my left hand in what I could only describe as "seizuresque" in style while the woods echoed the loudest F bomb ever.

I really didn't want to kill it, I just FTFO in the moment as I saw my life flash before my eyes as a spider was about to be on my eye. I have chills while typing this.

I never harm bugs unless very poisonous or if they attack my face or junk. I really need to learn what is all in my area a bit more. So long as I can keep some space between us, I'm good.

You're already a better photographer than I may ever be, so don't take this the wrong way... I got a great visual out of your description of events and LMAO. Thanks for the photographs, and the story of previous adventures.

Regards,
Steve

sponsored links

2,090 views & 0 likes for this thread
Still using tubes :)
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Macro 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.