Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 25 Sep 2014 (Thursday) 03:21
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Does higher price mean better quality photo?

apersson850
Cream of the Crop
12,113 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Nov 2007

Sep 26, 2014 08:47 as a reply to  @ post 17178627 |  #46

Here are links to two pictures, both taken at about the same time from about the same place by two different photographers using two different pieces of equipment.

Image 2 (external link)

Image 2 (external link)

There could of course also be skill differences between the two photographers, but that I don't know anything about.

Anders

sponsored links
BigAl007
Cream of the Crop
8,013 posts
Gallery: 543 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2010

Sep 26, 2014 11:52 |  #47

Anders I am sure that there must be a difference in the skill level of the two photographers. Just looking at the settings used would suggest that. Had the photographer using the cheaper camera chosen to up his ISO and to shoot at 1/2000s and around f/8 they would have probably got much better results. The lack of focal length though could not really be made up for wholly by skill. Although I would think that maybe the use of the Tamron 150-600 could have mitigated things to a degree. The Tamron dose at least now allow those that cannot afford a big white to have an option that may match the budget better. I guess it comes down to where we draw the line on cheap.

Personally I would not suggest that a new photographer started with a 7D?, 5DIII or 1Dx all of which I would suggest fall into cameras with a fairly specific target market, unless they were really sure about what it was they wanted to be photographing. However I see no reason not to start with a 70D over a Rebel if the cost is not an issue. The 70D is afterall seemingly Canon's current top of the do almost everything well, at reasonable cost tree.

Alan

My Flickr (external link)
My new Aviation images blog site (external link)

skifastbadly
Mostly Lurking
12 posts
Joined Sep 2014

Sep 26, 2014 14:10 |  #48

Lens before body. And the key question is not "is the photo quality higher" it is instead "Is the difference observable?"

Canon AE1 Canon Elan IIe Canon Elan 7e
Canon 6D
Canon 28-70L (non IS)
Canon 70-200L (non IS)

apersson850
Cream of the Crop
12,113 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Nov 2007

Sep 26, 2014 15:43 |  #49

BigAl007 wrote in post #17178938 (external link)
Anders I am sure that there must be a difference in the skill level of the two photographers.

Hehe, I hope so, since I took the better one! :)

Anders

palad1n
Goldmember
1,770 posts
Gallery: 9 photos
Joined Jun 2013

Sep 26, 2014 16:03 |  #50

apersson850 wrote in post #17178631 (external link)
Here are links to two pictures, both taken at about the same time from about the same place by two different photographers using two different pieces of equipment.

Image 2 (external link)

Image 2 (external link)

There could of course also be skill differences between the two photographers, but that I don't know anything about.

some hipsters would say : "I like the second one, it has very artistic movement blur in it, which makes me feel very depressed and happy at same time.... nicely exposed and perfectly out of focus, well done!"

i guess good photographer needs constant and PROPER feedback/critique from fellow photographers to be able to improve, i found this more important than anything else.

Website (online) : www.lukaskrasa.com (external link)
Flickr : http://www.flickr.com/​photos/105393908@N03/ (external link)
Facebook page: https://www.facebook.c​om/lukaskrasaphoto/ (external link)
Instagram: https://instagram.com/​lukaskrasacom (external link)
Lukas

Hogloff
Cream of the Crop
7,606 posts
Joined Apr 2003

Sep 26, 2014 16:36 |  #51
bannedPermanent ban

Gregg.Siam wrote in post #17178627 (external link)
That's like saying my $75,000 Skyline GT R can beat a $200,000 Ferrari. Both are expensive and both are top end cameras.

And you shoot with...?

So you are saying all the advice are from wine & cheese art school people that wear a black turtleneck and talk like a snob about composition and lighting, but ignore the fact that they too have a high end camera.

No, I am saying that my current gear does in fact produce better photos than what I had previously. My 5d2 allowed me to get photos my 20d just could not and my A7R allows me to get photos my 5d2 just could not...so these newer cameras ( not necessary higher priced ) actually do allow me to get better quality images.

flowrider
Goldmember
3,585 posts
Gallery: 124 photos
Best ofs: 6
Joined Dec 2009

Sep 26, 2014 17:30 |  #52

Better photos are a result of understanding light better. Crap light = crap photos no matter what gear you use.

~Steve~
~ My Website-stevelowephoto.com (external link) ~ Facebook (external link)
Feedback Feedback Feedback

Colin ­ Glover
Goldmember
1,376 posts
Gallery: 17 photos
Joined Aug 2012

Sep 26, 2014 19:35 |  #53

I have been shooting on cameras with full manual settings since 2011. I started with a GE X5, then bought a Fuji HS20Exr and bought a cheap T3i/600D. I've used the latter for the last 2 yrs. My friend let me have a play with his new 70D. I loved the bigger viewfinder, the reassuringly hefty shutter noise, the locking mode dial and the burst rate. So much so that I want one. Going straight in from the Fuji would have probably been okay, but the improvement in my pics from using the 600D has been invaluable. But no one seems to have asked the Op what his camera experience has been? Has he posted a signature? (I've not looked). It's interesting seeing the responses. Lots of valid replies to a good question.

Canon EOS 70D, Canon EOS 600D, EF-S 18-55 ii, EF 55-200 USM ii, EF-S 75-300 iii, Tamron 28-80, Sigma 70-210. Pentax 50mm, Pentax 135mm, EF-S 55-250, Raynox Macro adapter, Neewer filters (CPL, UV, FLD & ND4), Fuji HS20 EXR (30X zoom ) & cable release, Yongnuo 560 iii & Luxon 9800A manual flashguns for the Fuji, Hama Star 63 tripod, Hongdek RC-6 remote control, Velbon DF 40 www.point-n-shoot.co.uk website.

Hogloff
Cream of the Crop
7,606 posts
Joined Apr 2003

Sep 26, 2014 21:16 |  #54
bannedPermanent ban

flowrider wrote in post #17179506 (external link)
Better photos are a result of understanding light better. Crap light = crap photos no matter what gear you use.

I don't buy this. There have been tremendous photos shot in horrendouse lighting that had an emotional impact. The photo could be overexposed or in harsh light, but that emotional impact is still there. I'd say this emotional impact is the most important component in an image. Light alone does not make the image

RayinAlaska
425 posts
Gallery: 11 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Sep 2013

Sep 26, 2014 23:33 |  #55

Hogloff wrote in post #17179753 (external link)
I don't buy this. There have been tremendous photos shot in horrendouse lighting that had an emotional impact. The photo could be overexposed or in harsh light, but that emotional impact is still there. I'd say this emotional impact is the most important component in an image. Light alone does not make the image

If you look at the photos posted in this forum, from the Nikon thread to the 5D classic and everything else in between, you will notice some amazing photos, and also lots of crappy ones, regardless of cameras used. You will see some photos taken with the most expensive cameras and lenses that are very nice, while others taken with the same equipment are quite crappy. You will also notice the same on photos taken with relatively cheap cameras. The main difference I have noticed is that good photographers more often than not take great photos, regardless, while crappy photographers (like me :) ) often take crappy photos. I have also noticed that young photographers with lots of imagination often take some very interesting photos.

panicatnabisco
968 posts
Gallery: 33 photos
Joined Apr 2012

Sep 27, 2014 02:22 |  #56

AndrewChristopher wrote in post #17176441 (external link)
Hello all,

I was wondering if a higher priced camera takes a sharper, clearer, and smoother photo than a less expensive one? For example, does shooting with a Canon EOS Rebel T3i compared to a Canon EOS 5D Mark III have a dramatic difference in quality or is it the lens that determines this?

not really, the huge difference is the 6 inches behind the camera

Canon 1DX | 6D | 16-35/2.8II | 24-70/2.8II | 50/1.8 | 70-200/2.8 IS II | 85/1.4 | 100/2.8 IS macro | 200mm f/2 | 400/2.8 IS II | 2xIII
Leica M8.2 | Noctilux 50 f/1 | Elmarit 90/2.8
afimages.net (external link) | Facebook (external link) | flickr (external link)

Catflap
64 posts
Joined Mar 2014

Sep 27, 2014 02:28 |  #57

For me its all about how good the lens is. no body no matter how expensive is going to get good shots with poor quality glass

Hogloff
Cream of the Crop
7,606 posts
Joined Apr 2003

Sep 27, 2014 06:10 |  #58
bannedPermanent ban

flowrider wrote in post #17179506 (external link)

No sorry, but you are totally wrong. Many great documentary shots have been taken in not the best of light, yet they have the emotional impact. Yes light is great, but great photos can and have been **** in bad harsh light.

Azathoth
" ...whose name no lips dare speak aloud"
1,506 posts
Gallery: 665 photos
Best ofs: 6
Joined Jul 2012

Sep 27, 2014 08:32 |  #59

AndrewChristopher wrote in post #17176441 (external link)
Hello all,

I was wondering if a higher priced camera takes a sharper, clearer, and smoother photo than a less expensive one? For example, does shooting with a Canon EOS Rebel T3i compared to a Canon EOS 5D Mark III have a dramatic difference in quality or is it the lens that determines this?

your skill > available light > lenses > body

500px (external link) | flickr (external link) | Facebook (external link) | Instagram (external link)

davidc502
Goldmember
3,459 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Dec 2010

Sep 27, 2014 08:40 |  #60

TeamSpeed wrote in post #17176619 (external link)
The same question can be applied to golf clubs. The same answer applies as well. For those needing more features or that extra edge a higher end set gives them, they will shell out the extra money. Now whether they can utilize what that more expensive set of clubs give them, who knows? Experience with the game, knowledge of the course, technique in your swing, your stance, etc will play a larger part in your final score, in most situations.

I always try to buy something that I consider won't limit me for a few years. I want just enough equipment to do well know easily, but have something I can grow into later. It seems to be the best overall approach for my own needs.

That is why I own a cheap Dunlop set of clubs, because anything more just won't help my game. :D

As a Golfer, I completely agree with the analogy. Tiger Woods is going to kick my a$$ with a cheap set of clubs no matter the set I have. Put the best set of clubs in Tigers hands and it's going to enhance his game because he knows how to utilize them. Put the best set in a amateur's hands and there's little change in what he can produce.

The same will hold true in just about any other industry.

_
My Gear is ---> Here

sponsored links

10,280 views & 0 likes for this thread
Does higher price mean better quality photo?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.