Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
Thread started 17 Sep 2014 (Wednesday) 17:04
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

C&C Please on this Creek Image

dlos
135 posts
Joined Jun 2011

Sep 17, 2014 17:04 |  #1

Weather was tough with thick fog, misty precip and slippery footing conditions. Image captured on Wilson Creek off the Blue Ridge Parkway near Boone, NC.

Looking for C&C on everything, processing included.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Canon 5D3 | 60D | EF 24-105mm f/4L IS |EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II | EF-S 10-22mm

sponsored links
cameragal1
313 posts
Joined Jul 2014

Sep 17, 2014 18:00 |  #2

I think it is beautiful!

Diane

sandytrouble
104 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Sep 17, 2014 18:13 |  #3

The picture is great. 2 things:
1) Suggest that the bridge be parallel to the top edge of the picture. right now it is a little slanted
2) The saturation seems to be a little bit excess. For eg, I see a tinge of yellow on the grass under the grass

7D [EFS 17-55, EF 50 1.4, 70-200 IS II]

Numenorean
Cream of the Crop
5,013 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Sep 17, 2014 18:53 |  #4

sandytrouble wrote in post #17161851 (external link)
The picture is great. 2 things:
1) Suggest that the bridge be parallel to the top edge of the picture. right now it is a little slanted
2) The saturation seems to be a little bit excess. For eg, I see a tinge of yellow on the grass under the grass

The bridge is slanted because of the direction it travels and it should be left that way. If you made it straight with the top of the frame, then the waterfalls would be flowing sideways and it would look very wrong.

This is a pretty good image - I do like the mist, but I think there is too much and it affects the sharpness.

Gear List

dlos
THREAD ­ STARTER
135 posts
Joined Jun 2011

Sep 17, 2014 19:19 |  #5

I appreciate the comments, thank you all.

As Numenorean explained, the bridge angle is correct. The bridge was heading away from the camera at that very angle higher overhead than it looks there. Only slight adjustments made to crop angle based on water level.

I'll try to see what I can do with the fog, the area was heavily socked in and it was creeping down the creek while this image was captured.

beano
Goldmember
4,168 posts
Joined May 2006

Sep 18, 2014 06:00 |  #6

I love this! The only thing I'd do, is reduce the saturation on that redish leaf, half way up the right side, as it draws my eye.. Other than that, perfect! ;)

Scott

Numenorean
Cream of the Crop
5,013 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Sep 18, 2014 11:15 |  #7

dlos wrote in post #17161959 (external link)
I appreciate the comments, thank you all.

As Numenorean explained, the bridge angle is correct. The bridge was heading away from the camera at that very angle higher overhead than it looks there. Only slight adjustments made to crop angle based on water level.

I'll try to see what I can do with the fog, the area was heavily socked in and it was creeping down the creek while this image was captured.

I don't think you can do anything about the fog other than yell at Mother Nature and hope she listens. Or try again another day.

Gear List

dlos
THREAD ­ STARTER
135 posts
Joined Jun 2011

Sep 19, 2014 06:29 as a reply to  @ Numenorean's post |  #8

Here's an edit working with suggestions from you all. I was able to clear the fog up a little pulling highlights back and making small clarity adjustments with brushes.

The red leaf, I tried to tone it down some pulling saturation back and the also the red channel. While it does draw the eye, fall is on us here and that leaf lets us know it.

Lemme know which version you like better.

HOSTED PHOTO

nittaya
122 posts
Joined Jul 2013

Sep 19, 2014 07:23 as a reply to  @ dlos's post |  #9

here is one edit. i changed the white balance of the foreground and also increased the contasts(foreground) and made it darker.

HOSTED PHOTO

Hannya
Goldmember
1,062 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Sep 20, 2014 14:11 |  #10

Very nice. You could crop out the bridge and still have a super pic. Love the colors.

“Your first 10,000 photographs are your worst.” ― Henri Cartier-Bresson

Sports Pics (external link)

njstacker22
703 posts
Gallery: 10 photos
Joined Mar 2014

Sep 23, 2014 17:26 |  #11

dlos wrote in post #17164888 (external link)
Here's an edit working with suggestions from you all. I was able to clear the fog up a little pulling highlights back and making small clarity adjustments with brushes.

The red leaf, I tried to tone it down some pulling saturation back and the also the red channel. While it does draw the eye, fall is on us here and that leaf lets us know it.

Lemme know which version you like better.

Just one mans opinion but I definitely like this best.

Sony A7ii [Sony FE 16-35mm f/4] [Sony FE 28-70mm] [Rokinon 135mm F2] [Sony 50mm 1.8]
https://www.flickr.com​/photos/djbigley/ (external link)

hiketheplanet
666 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined May 2013

Sep 23, 2014 21:35 as a reply to  @ njstacker22's post |  #12

I like the 2nd edit. I actually like the composition of this shot, crooked bridge and all. The only thing that is off for me is the contrast is kind of ruined because of the fog/mist (very noticeable over the bridge in the trees). Not much you could do about that I guess. I like it.

Martin ­ Dixon
Goldmember
1,864 posts
Gallery: 59 photos
Joined Sep 2009

Sep 24, 2014 01:34 |  #13

I think this well above average shot of this subject. The mist makes it for me. It adds atmosphere and makes a great backdrop for the rocks and milky water effect.
I like the way it steadily graduates from sharp foreground to misty background.

flickr (external link) Editing OK (external link)

gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
29,210 posts
Gallery: 33 photos
Joined Dec 2006

Sep 24, 2014 01:49 |  #14

I wouldnt suggest going as far as flattening the bridge but the trees are slightly tilted and the hoizon line of the creek at the top is too. A bit of adjustment wouldnt hurt the foreground.

HappySnapper90
Cream of the Crop
5,145 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Sep 27, 2014 07:56 |  #15

What bothers me about this is how there's more green rocks than water.

sponsored links

2,018 views & 0 likes for this thread
C&C Please on this Creek Image
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.