Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 14 Jan 2014 (Tuesday) 07:48
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

70D focus issue & blurred pictures

centauro1974
Hatchling
7 posts
Joined Apr 2014

Sep 27, 2014 13:11 |  #1306

Yes, it's already making me crazy and if I give the camera to someone else to take a photo, I'll have to teach them how to focus the camera. I just wasn't sure if that is close to the tolerance of the focus points.

sponsored links
Jiggo0109
376 posts
Gallery: 16 photos
Joined Sep 2013

Sep 27, 2014 23:54 |  #1307

centauro1974 wrote in post #17180554 (external link)
Yes, it's already making me crazy and if I give the camera to someone else to take a photo, I'll have to teach them how to focus the camera. I just wasn't sure if that is close to the tolerance of the focus points.

Test it by using a plain bond paper with a dot in it. Check each af points if they will lock focus when the dot is inside the box. You can then explain to the techs thoroughly of the problem. That's if you decided to return your unit to them. But I suggest you send it back for another repair.

DevelopedbyDinesh
Hatchling
1 post
Joined Sep 2014

Sep 28, 2014 10:07 as a reply to  @ Jiggo0109's post |  #1308

is this focus issue still present on new production models?

like ones manufactured within the last few weeks or months

Scoobert
Goldmember
1,176 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Feb 2013

Sep 28, 2014 14:41 |  #1309

DevelopedbyDinesh wrote in post #17181891 (external link)
is this focus issue still present on new production models?

like ones manufactured within the last few weeks or months

Yup, Its has never stopped. Until canon admits there is a problem there is no chance of it getting fixed. And they are in full denial that there is anything wrong.

redshift20
Hatchling
6 posts
Joined Sep 2014

Sep 28, 2014 15:35 as a reply to  @ post 17180057 |  #1310

Hi everyone...

Just joined the forum. I just got my 70D about 3 weeks ago and was aware of the focusing issue when I bought it, but I liked the features so I thought I'd take a chance.

I'm just now getting around to testing it for the focus issue, but the only fast lens I have for testing is the 50mm 1.8. Out of 17 shots, I found 3 that were out of focus. However, I'm not sure if they're just user error. Two of the shots were trees and I'm not sure if this is to be expected when shooting through branches. I also don't know if the 50mm 1.8 is the best to be testing with.

What do you guys think? Any input would be appreciated. I'd like to just enjoy the camera and snap away.. but if there's something faulty, I'd like to exchange it while I can. Continue testing, exchange, or just ignore and enjoy the camera?

Sample 1:
f2.0
1/1250
ISO 100
Tripod

IMG NOTICE: [NOT AN IMAGE URL, NOT RENDERED INLINE]

Sample 2:
f1.8
1/1600
ISO 160
Tripod

Sample 3:
f2.0
1/500
ISO 100
Monopod

ct1co2
Goldmember
2,453 posts
Gallery: 61 photos
Joined Feb 2009

Sep 28, 2014 15:38 |  #1311

redshift20 wrote in post #17182383 (external link)
Hi everyone...

Just joined the forum. I just got my 70D about 3 weeks ago and was aware of the focusing issue when I bought it, but I liked the features so I thought I'd take a chance.

I'm just now getting around to testing it for the focus issue, but the only fast lens I have for testing is the 50mm 1.8. Out of 17 shots, I found 3 that were out of focus. However, I'm not sure if they're just user error. Two of the shots were trees and I'm not sure if this is to be expected when shooting through branches. I also don't know if the 50mm 1.8 is the best to be testing with.

What do you guys think? Any input would be appreciated. I'd like to just enjoy the camera and snap away.. but if there's something faulty, I'd like to exchange it while I can. Continue testing, exchange, or just ignore and enjoy the camera?

Sample 1:
f2.0
1/1250
ISO 100
Tripod

Sample 2:
f1.8
1/1600
ISO 160
Tripod

Sample 3:
f2.0
1/500
ISO 100
Monopod

Pics are not showing. It will need to be known what AF point(s) and mode you are shooting in. Welcome to POTN.

7D2 | 6D2 | 10-22 | 15-85is | Σ18-35 | Rokinon 14 2.8 | 16-35isL | 24-70isL | 85 1.8 | 100-400 II L | Σ150-600 C | 430ex |

TerminalCity
237 posts
Best ofs: 1
Joined Apr 2013

Sep 28, 2014 15:39 |  #1312

redshift20 wrote in post #17182383 (external link)
Hi everyone...

Sample 1:
f2.0
1/1250
ISO 100
Tripod

Sample 2:
f1.8
1/1600
ISO 160
Tripod

Sample 3:
f2.0
1/500
ISO 100
Monopod

I can't see your samples but three out of 17 OOF images with the 50mm f/1.8 is pretty good going, possibly bordering on record! Mine would give maybe 3 out of 17 in focus on a good day. Nothing to do with the camera though.

redshift20
Hatchling
6 posts
Joined Sep 2014

Sep 28, 2014 15:41 |  #1313

ct1co2 wrote in post #17182386 (external link)
Pics are not showing. It will need to be known what AF point(s) and mode you are shooting in. Welcome to POTN.

Strange.. I linked to the photos on dropbox.

Try these:

https://dl.dropboxuser​content.com …n%20Forum/Sampl​e%201.tiff (external link)
https://dl.dropboxuser​content.com …n%20Forum/Sampl​e%202.tiff (external link)
https://dl.dropboxuser​content.com …n%20Forum/Sampl​e%203.tiff (external link)

I just took screenshots of the two images side by side in DPP with the focus points showing.

Lefthand picture is center focus point through VF.. one shot mode. Righthand picture is live view.

Jiggo0109
376 posts
Joined Sep 2013

Sep 28, 2014 19:00 |  #1314

redshift20 wrote in post #17182390 (external link)
Strange.. I linked to the photos on dropbox.

Try these:

https://dl.dropboxuser​content.com …n%20Forum/Sampl​e%201.tiff (external link)
https://dl.dropboxuser​content.com …n%20Forum/Sampl​e%202.tiff (external link)
https://dl.dropboxuser​content.com …n%20Forum/Sampl​e%203.tiff (external link)

I just took screenshots of the two images side by side in DPP with the focus points showing.

Lefthand picture is center focus point through VF.. one shot mode. Righthand picture is live view.

As mentioned, 3 out of 17 OOF shots is a good ratio for keeper rates. But if you feel like investigating the camera deeper, try the tests made by some users in this thread, Maybe start with distant targets (enough to fill the mid point focusing square) and observe your keeper rates. Also, try posting them directly to the thread by getting a flicker account, upload and view the photo at flicker (maximum of 1024 resolution), copy the link location. On the message box of PotN, You will see an icon that looks like a mountain, click that and paste the link location and thats it. It will be much easier for the members to evaluate what you have. You also test the other af points if you feel like doing it. To my observations (just purely my assessment), I think the 70D (faulty ones) does not only have one issue. Mine has both the mid point and right af points defective and some only has the mid point problem. So I pray for your baby man, I hope you have a good copy. Welcome to the forum! :)

Submariner
Goldmember
3,028 posts
Joined May 2012

Sep 28, 2014 20:26 |  #1315

centauro1974 wrote in post #17180554 (external link)

I had this on my first 7D.
Fundamentally the focus points were not where the boxes were. Fortunately I saw a Thread where someone had mapped the problem. Looks like they have this with the 70D or at least yours.
Eg at a wedding if one shot a line of people, and say picked the face of the person at the end of the line.
Ot would nail focus very quickly - BUT it could have missed that persons head and nailed focus on the wall 12 ft behind!
utterly useless! An iPhone 5S would be better!

I Sent it back...usual crap at first from the retailer. And just as much from many Togs who insinuated I just did not know how to work it,mornIncould try fixing it in Post!
Eventually they got me another one, which was spot on! lovely crisp images. So glad I did ... and then I loved the camera! :)
I think you would be insane to keep it. Just keep,pushing, until they get you a good one. Its not your fault canons QC is rubbish.

Canon EOS 5DS R, Canon EF 70-200 F2.8 L Mk II IS USM, Canon EF 70-300 F4-5.6 L IS USM, EF 40mm F2.8 STM , RC6 Remote. Canon STE-3 Radio Flash Controller, Canon 600 EX RT x4 , YN 560 MkII x2 ; Bowens GM500PRO x4 , Bowens Remote Control. Bowens Pulsar TX, RX Radio Transmitter and Reciever Cards. Bowens Constant 530 Streamlights 600w x 4 Sold EOS 5D Mk III, 7D, EF 50mm F1.8, 430 EX Mk II, Bowens GM500Rs x4

Jiggo0109
376 posts
Joined Sep 2013

Sep 28, 2014 20:38 |  #1316

Submariner wrote in post #17182842 (external link)
I had this on my first 7D.
Fundamentally the focus points were not where the boxes were. Fortunately I saw a Thread where someone had mapped the problem. Looks like they have this with the 70D or at least yours.
Eg at a wedding if one shot a line of people, and say picked the face of the person at the end of the line.
Ot would nail focus very quickly - BUT it could have missed that persons head and nailed focus on the wall 12 ft behind!
utterly useless! An iPhone 5S would be better!

I Sent it back...usual crap at first from the retailer. And just as much from many Togs who insinuated I just did not know how to work it,mornIncould try fixing it in Post!
Eventually they got me another one, which was spot on! lovely crisp images. So glad I did ... and then I loved the camera! :)
I think you would be insane to keep it. Just keep,pushing, until they get you a good one. Its not your fault canons QC is rubbish.

Replaced. Does this mean it can't be fixed at all?

Edit: Just ignore my queastion. I mis read your post. Sorry.

redshift20
Hatchling
6 posts
Joined Sep 2014

Sep 28, 2014 21:20 as a reply to  @ Jiggo0109's post |  #1317

Jiggo0109 wrote in post #17182728 (external link)
As mentioned, 3 out of 17 OOF shots is a good ratio for keeper rates. But if you feel like investigating the camera deeper, try the tests made by some users in this thread, Maybe start with distant targets (enough to fill the mid point focusing square) and observe your keeper rates. Also, try posting them directly to the thread by getting a flicker account, upload and view the photo at flicker (maximum of 1024 resolution), copy the link location. On the message box of PotN, You will see an icon that looks like a mountain, click that and paste the link location and thats it. It will be much easier for the members to evaluate what you have. You also test the other af points if you feel like doing it. To my observations (just purely my assessment), I think the 70D (faulty ones) does not only have one issue. Mine has both the mid point and right af points defective and some only has the mid point problem. So I pray for your baby man, I hope you have a good copy. Welcome to the forum! :)

Thanks for the advice. I forgot all about flickr when I was uploading the files :o

I was thinking 3 out of 17 wasn't bad, but I don't know what everyone else was experiencing. I'll probably continue testing a bit and see how it goes.

Scoobert
Goldmember
1,176 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Feb 2013

Sep 28, 2014 21:27 |  #1318

redshift20 wrote in post #17182917 (external link)
Thanks for the advice. I forgot all about flickr when I was uploading the files :o

I was thinking 3 out of 17 wasn't bad, but I don't know what everyone else was experiencing. I'll probably continue testing a bit and see how it goes.

Use this as your test.

http://digital.photore​commendations.com …center-focus-point-issue/ (external link)

redshift20
Hatchling
6 posts
Joined Sep 2014

Sep 30, 2014 16:30 |  #1319

Ok.. I ran through a bunch of tests using Toby's procedure. For the most part, when lighting was good, I see very little or no discernible difference between my viewfinder and live view shots when shooting charts and general objects/structures around the yard. I do see a difference when lighting is poor, but I assume that's par for the course.

Where I see the biggest difference is shooting leaves.. and I see it with the 50mm 1.8 as well as the 18-135mm kit lens at lower focal lengths. I'm wondering if there's just not enough contrast for AF to work and this just falls under user error?

Sorry for the silly questions, but I'm fairly new to DSLR's and trying to learn. If this is just typical behavior, then I'll give up on the testing and resume shooting.

Here are 3 examples:

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'image/gif' | Redirected to error image by FLICKR
comp_1 (external link) by redshift20 (external link), on Flickr

IMAGE NOT FOUND
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'image/gif' | Redirected to error image by FLICKR
comp_2 (external link) by redshift20 (external link), on Flickr

IMAGE NOT FOUND
comp_3 (external link) by redshift20 (external link), on Flickr

Link to album:

https://www.flickr.com …7/sets/72157648​162708746/ (external link)

GrantCC
Hatchling
6 posts
Joined Sep 2014

Sep 30, 2014 16:41 |  #1320

GrantCC wrote in post #17156838 (external link)
I bought my 70D from Becextech, so any warranty is supposed to go through them. Camera came from Hong Kong. Bought it with 18-135 and 70-200 2.8 usm 2. Having the same focussing problems as many on the net. Been through micro adjust, bought FoCal Pro (that improved things somewhat, but I haven't been able to get far enough away from my PC to use it properly). That said, I really get the impression that the problem is random.

Just to be sure I've dropped it in at Canon in Melbourne to assess and calibrate before I send it back, if necessary, to Becextech.

I'll let you know how it goes in 10-15 days.

Update: Got the camera back from Canon a week ago but the problem remains I'm afraid. They advised adjusting some AF points and checking performance with both my supplied lenses. Further advised no other adjustments necessary - ie AFMA ( I guess) Have had a few reasonable pics that could be sharpened but an overall poor performance. Just written to Canon again with more samples.

Seems to focus a few degrees to the right or left of the focus point at close range - see sample .pdfs. I would have thought some AFMA was necessary but I'd be interested to see what readers think.

Thanks
Grant

sponsored links

346,986 views & 8 likes for this thread
70D focus issue & blurred pictures
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.