Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 25 Sep 2014 (Thursday) 17:02
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Very First Impressions of the 6D

skifastbadly
Mostly Lurking
12 posts
Joined Sep 2014

Sep 25, 2014 17:02 |  #1

This is my first foray into digital photography. I started years ago with an AE1 and then in the mid 90s bought a elan IIe. Both excellent cameras, but try to find a place to process the film...assuming you can find film worth crap to shoot.

Ok, so the 6D arrived about three hours ago. My immediate reaction:

Pro:
Feels great in the hand, far more solid than the Elan IIe.
Uses my canon L lenses, but I knew that
The first few photos I've taken look pretty good given I had it on fully auto everything.
No film. Instant gratification

Con:
Holy crap is this thing complicated. They have to give you a DVD with the manual because apparently they'd have to kill an entire forest to print everything.
Apparently unlike the elan, this doesn't use your eyeball to select the desired AF sensor. Serious disappointment, I LOVED that feature
I was surprised the camera came without a card....but perhaps expecting a card is like expecting a film camera to come with film...

I'm off to the farmer's market to shoot some stuff, but it is clear that I have a LOT to learn.

Canon AE1 Canon Elan IIe Canon Elan 7e
Canon 6D
Canon 28-70L (non IS)
Canon 70-200L (non IS)

sponsored links
Scrumhalf
Cream of the Crop
6,815 posts
Gallery: 93 photos
Joined Jul 2012

Sep 25, 2014 17:31 |  #2

Congrats on your purchase! It's a steep learning curve for sure but you'll get the hang of it soon. Consider getting Doug Klostermann's eBook on the 6D. I found other useful.

Sam
5D4 | 6D | 7D2 (2 bodies) | Reasonably good glass
Gear List

If I don't get the shots I want with the gear I have, the only optics I need to examine is the mirror on the bathroom wall. The root cause will be there.

sega62
756 posts
Joined Aug 2011

Sep 25, 2014 17:46 |  #3

skifastbadly wrote in post #17177690 (external link)
This is my first foray into digital photography. I started years ago with an AE1 and then in the mid 90s bought a elan IIe. Both excellent cameras, but try to find a place to process the film...assuming you can find film worth crap to shoot.

Pro:
The first few photos I've taken look pretty good given I had it on fully auto everything.

Con:
Holy crap is this thing complicated. They have to give you a DVD with the manual because apparently they'd have to kill an entire forest to print everything.
Apparently unlike the elan, this doesn't use your eyeball to select the desired AF sensor. Serious disappointment, I LOVED that feature
I was surprised the camera came without a card....but perhaps expecting a card is like expecting a film camera to come with film...

I'm off to the farmer's market to shoot some stuff, but it is clear that I have a LOT to learn.

I am sure you can find some interesting videos on youtube, specially the 5d2 is a lot like the 6d, it can apply to some extent.
Great camera, get lightroom to make some beautiful pics.
Congrats, now check out some great lens.....

FoxTrot
115 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Jul 2005

Sep 25, 2014 18:20 |  #4

Here's wishing you happy shooting with your 6D :) Shouldn't be long before the settings and features become second nature.

6D and some gear
Flickr (external link)

rrblint
Listen! .... do you smell something?
22,654 posts
Gallery: 83 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2012

Sep 26, 2014 10:24 |  #5

Con:

Apparently unlike the elan, this doesn't use your eyeball to select the desired AF sensor. Serious disappointment, I LOVED that feature...

Yeah, I felt the same way.

HERE IS A THREAD that may hold your interest for a while.

Mark

kf095
Out buying Wheaties
6,807 posts
Gallery: 14 photos
Joined Dec 2009

Sep 26, 2014 11:20 |  #6

Congrats on 6D!

.... but try to find a place to process the film...assuming you can find film worth crap to shoot.

I have two labs in fifteen minutes drive for C-41. Don't know for how long they will stay.
And it is in my basement for b/w, including prints.

After using my DSLRs for a while, I started to take it on film even more, before I switched to DSLRs.

Old Site (external link). M-E and ME blog (external link). Film Flickr (external link). my DigitaL and AnaLog Gear.

skifastbadly
THREAD ­ STARTER
Mostly Lurking
12 posts
Joined Sep 2014

Sep 26, 2014 12:23 |  #7

Thanks all, so far so good. I appreciate the link, rrblint, it's reassuring to know that I'm not alone and also that I haven't overlooked a feature that actually exists.

So what I've already learned is that freedom=confusion. In other words, with the film camera I had more constraints. The ISO was fixed, the type of film (color vs. b&w) is fixed. Those constraints are gone but this means I have to learn a lot to control the outcome. For example, it would be a good day to shoot B&W but apparently I have to learn how to turn my RAW files into B&W which means I have to get some software, learn it, etc.

I've also discovered that my HP "Photosmart" printer is crap for photos. I assume that if I want prints I'll either have to find a local place that prints from files, or invest in a high quality photo printer, which I know from experience with other technologies will end up with me trying to ascertain what's important and what's not and filter through the opinions of esoteric features and specifications.

It is immediately clear that a neophyte can take better photos with a high quality DSLR than a film camera. What is yet to be learned is how steep the learning curve is to start taking control.

I searched for a "Magic Lantern" 6D book but couldn't find one so I went with "David Busch's Canon EOS 6D Guide to Digital SLR Photography" which seems at first scan to be pretty helpful.

I'll be back with lots of questions.

Canon 6D
Canon 28-70L (non IS)
Canon 70-200L (non IS)

Bill ­ Emmett
201 posts
Joined May 2012

Sep 26, 2014 14:16 |  #8

I see your in the Puget Sound area, what a place to shoot some great photos. I had the same problem as you with the 6D. Although I shot with the 7D, and many of the bells and whistles are about the same, there was a learning curve. I bought the book "6D Field Guide" it helped me a lot getting through the menus and how to shoot the different and new items. Youtube is your friend with this camera. It shows how everything works and walks you through the steps. Enjoy your new camera.

New Canon EOS 5D Mark IV, Canon EOS 7D Mark II, Canon EOS 50D, Canon 7D Classic, Canon 6D, Canon EF 70-200 f4L USM with IS, Canon 40mm pancake, Canon EF 50mm 1.8, Canon EF-S 10-22mm wide angle, Canon EF-S 18-135 IS STM, Canon EF 100mm 2.8L USM Macro, Tamron 18-270mm Dii VC, Tamron SP 150-600mm VC, Tamron SP 24-70mm f2.8 VC USM, Canon EF 16-35 f2.8L II USM, Tamron 2X Tele-Extender, 1.4 Tele-extender

Vendee
451 posts
Joined May 2007

Sep 26, 2014 14:43 |  #9

Pro:

Con:

Congratulations, I got mine almost four weeks ago. Over the past 11 years I've gone from a 3mp Kodak compact(ish) to a Minolta bridge camera, to a EOS 400D, to a 7D now to the 6D.

Of all those upgrades, the move to the 6D has seen the biggest improvement in image quality.

As for eye control focus..... I have it on my EOS 3 but seldom use it. Hope you have lots of fun with your 6D.

| EOS 6D| EOS 3 |EF 24-105mm f/4L|EF 70-200mm f/4L IS |EF 40mm f/2.8 STM | EF 50 f/1.8 II | Sigma 35mm f/1.4 Art | Speedlite 430EX II |Pentax MX |Pentax ME Super|Pentax K1000|Kiev 4A|Yashica Electra 35 GTN|Yashica 24
My stuff:- www.giverin.co.uk (external link)

stevewf1
806 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Sep 27, 2014 03:02 |  #10

Your first ever digital camera and it's a 6D? That's quite a start! Congratulations :)

Oh yes, today's digital cameras can be complicated, but be patient, you'll love digital.

And after you've gotten (somewhat) used to your new camera, then you can say "Hello Computer" and start learning about a whole 'nother side of digital photography.

Have fun!

Steve

stevewf1
806 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Sep 27, 2014 03:11 |  #11

skifastbadly wrote in post #17178972 (external link)
Thanks all, so far so good. I appreciate the link, rrblint, it's reassuring to know that I'm not alone and also that I haven't overlooked a feature that actually exists.

So what I've already learned is that freedom=confusion. In other words, with the film camera I had more constraints. The ISO was fixed, the type of film (color vs. b&w) is fixed. Those constraints are gone but this means I have to learn a lot to control the outcome. For example, it would be a good day to shoot B&W but apparently I have to learn how to turn my RAW files into B&W which means I have to get some software, learn it, etc.

I've also discovered that my HP "Photosmart" printer is crap for photos. I assume that if I want prints I'll either have to find a local place that prints from files, or invest in a high quality photo printer, which I know from experience with other technologies will end up with me trying to ascertain what's important and what's not and filter through the opinions of esoteric features and specifications.

It is immediately clear that a neophyte can take better photos with a high quality DSLR than a film camera. What is yet to be learned is how steep the learning curve is to start taking control.

I searched for a "Magic Lantern" 6D book but couldn't find one so I went with "David Busch's Canon EOS 6D Guide to Digital SLR Photography" which seems at first scan to be pretty helpful.

I'll be back with lots of questions.

For prints, try a local Walgreens or Wal-Mart and see how they look...

Steve

jabtas
Goldmember
3,058 posts
Gallery: 194 photos
Best ofs: 6
Joined Jan 2005

Sep 27, 2014 05:09 |  #12

If you're prepared to shoot jpg, B&W can be done in-camera, along with other built in styles

Canon DPP, came with your camera, 'may' even automatically apply these styles to your RAW files (need somebody else to confirm this, as I convert to B&W in other software)

Tim
Some Canon stuff, some Sigma stuff and yet more Canon stuff
My Gallery - http://www.pbase.com/j​abtas (external link)

DuncRS
Hatchling
7 posts
Joined Sep 2014

Sep 27, 2014 05:38 |  #13

Only had mine for a few weeks and already love the difference but it's going to take time to learn it
Did you get the free stuff from canon ? As if you did then you will have a one years free of Lightroom 5 and photo shop plus other stuff and the choice of a free tripod or tablet thing

Might get a book on the camera to help learn it faster?

skifastbadly
THREAD ­ STARTER
Mostly Lurking
12 posts
Joined Sep 2014

Sep 27, 2014 15:20 |  #14

DuncRS: I got no 'free stuff' I bought from Amazon. I do have a $200 rebate coming, maybe that's why.
jabtas: Thanks for that, I'll have to figure that one out. I have lots of time.
Stevewf1: I thought about that. No matter how crappy the printer is at the local Walgreens, it's gotta be better than my HP "Photosmart" which should be called "Photocrap" because even with the photo paper the output is junk. Yes, it is my first foray into serious digital. But I've been shooting film for 30 years so I wanted something that 1) had full format and 2) would use my L lenses (which relates back to 1).

Thanks all. Two more quick questions: Until I get this thing down and really start to get serious about the processing, is there any advantage to shooting RAW over JPG? And, since I was provided with a copy of Digital Photo Professional 4.0, how much better is the $140 Lightroom?

Canon 6D
Canon 28-70L (non IS)
Canon 70-200L (non IS)

SHIF.ski
Mostly Lurking
16 posts
Joined Nov 2012

Sep 27, 2014 16:02 as a reply to  @ skifastbadly's post |  #15

Here is a great web-based user guide for this camera:

http://kenrockwell.com …/6d/users-guide/index.htm (external link)

Stick to Ken's suggestions until you get the hang of it.

Cheers,
-S

6D / 16-35 f/4L / 24-70 f/4L / 70-300L / 85 / 135L

sponsored links

7,214 views & 0 likes for this thread
Very First Impressions of the 6D
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.