Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 27 Sep 2014 (Saturday) 23:28
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Upgrade to 5D ?

USA!USA!
193 posts
Joined May 2013

Sep 27, 2014 23:28 |  #1

I currently use a T3i and I am curious to besides the full frame difference what is the best choice stick with T3I or worth the upgrade to 5D Classic ??

My camera is a part of my body only nicer...

sponsored links
Thorrulz
Goldmember
3,778 posts
Gallery: 20 photos
Joined Jan 2009

Sep 27, 2014 23:41 |  #2

I owned a t2i and 5D at the same time so I'll give you my thoughts on this. First the t3i is a 1.6x crop sensor vs the 5D 35mm sensor. Secondly, depending on what your current lens are along with what you like to shoot should be taken into consideration before buying a 5D. If a traditional film like look in portraits or landscape photos is what you're after then the 5D will satisfy that want or need.

Be aware though that if you like the controls and layout of the t3i, the 5D will seem spartan in comparison. Definitely has a no frills feel after using the newer bodies.

Both are very good bodies overall.

Flickr (external link)
D800 I Nikon 200 f2 VR 1 I Nikon 200 f2 ED AI-S I Nikon 135 f2 DC I Nikon 28-70 f/2.8 I Nikon 50 f/1.4G I Nikon 85 f/1.8G I Pentax 645D I SMC FA 645 75 F2.8 I SMC FA 645 45-85 F4.5 I SMC FA 645 200 F4
My sister, the professional baker and cake decorator once told me that my camera takes great pics. My reply was that I thought her oven baked great cakes.:lol:

kf095
Cream of the Crop
6,501 posts
Gallery: 12 photos
Joined Dec 2009

Sep 28, 2014 00:08 |  #3

USA!USA! wrote in post #17181346 (external link)
My camera is a part of my body only nicer...

U gonna be sexy, just add some primes if ain't any, L is for lust, C for Classic.

Old Site (external link). M-E and ME blog (external link). Film Flickr (external link). my DigitaL and AnaLog Gear.

jaomul
Goldmember
1,236 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Apr 2011

Sep 28, 2014 01:13 |  #4

I prefer the images from the 5d, but that's not to say the t3i isn't also good. The 5d with right lens is great for portraits but is older and as mentioned sparse on tech.

flickr (external link)
Olympus EM5,Nikon d7200,
Olympus 12-50mm, 40-150mm,17mm f2.8,Nikon 50mm F1.8, Tamron 90mm vc, 18-105mmVR, Sigma 18-35 f1.8

MalVeauX
"Looks rough and well used"
13,286 posts
Gallery: 1696 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Feb 2013

Sep 28, 2014 03:39 |  #5

USA!USA! wrote in post #17181346 (external link)
I currently use a T3i and I am curious to besides the full frame difference what is the best choice stick with T3I or worth the upgrade to 5D Classic ??

Heya,

The T3i is better than the 5D in many ways.

The 5D has the edge on depth of field control. Nothing else.

I shoot a 5D and a T4i together. I use my 5D still, because I simply like the way the files look. Kind of like film in a way. It has a unique look that has not been replicated down the 5D line or any Canon line so far. It's otherwise not as good as modern cameras in almost all of the properties you'd look for in a modern camera.

Very best,

My Flickr (external link) :: My Astrobin (external link)

Hogloff
Cream of the Crop
7,606 posts
Joined Apr 2003

Sep 28, 2014 06:22 |  #6
bannedPermanent ban

If image quality is your utmost importance, then the 5d will be much better than your crop. If modern day convenience is important, then stick to your crop.

Personally, I'd switch to the 5d as the end result is more important than some of the conveniences.

modestglock26
293 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Apr 2014

Sep 28, 2014 06:33 |  #7

It's very very hard to dislike the images coming out of the 5d. Sure the tech might be old and the screen is what it is, but that thing takes a seriously nice picture if you do your part. I would always say get a 5d so long as your lenses will work on it. It will not work with EFS stuff.

Sony A7ii and a Ricoh GR II with just about no skill

GeoKras1989
Goldmember
4,038 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Jun 2014

Sep 28, 2014 07:29 |  #8
bannedPermanent ban

Malveaux missed one. Compare the 5D and T3i at ISO 1600. Big difference. However, I'd seriously consider getting a 6D if you are thinking FF. It is well worth the $800-900 price difference.

WARNING: I often dispense advice in fields I know little about!

Hogloff
Cream of the Crop
7,606 posts
Joined Apr 2003

Sep 28, 2014 08:46 |  #9
bannedPermanent ban

GeoKras1989 wrote in post #17181678 (external link)
Malveaux missed one. Compare the 5D and T3i at ISO 1600. Big difference. However, I'd seriously consider getting a 6D if you are thinking FF. It is well worth the $800-900 price difference.

Depends on what you shoot. My full frame cameras hardly ever go over ISO 400 and I usually manual focus. If it was me, I'd rather spend the $900 on a nice lens to go with the 5d.

InfiniteDivide
"I wish to be spared"
2,844 posts
Gallery: 265 photos
Joined Dec 2013

Oct 01, 2014 01:15 |  #10

While FF is great, it depends on your reasons for the upgrade.
I wanted a thinner DOF and better high iso performance (1600+)
I had not need for the AF in the 5D III but wanted the better low light performance
when comparing the 5D II and 6D

I love my 6D and find it to be a huge improvment in those areas compared to my T4i

Best of luck in your decision.

James Patrus
6D | 16-35L F4 | 24L II | 50L | 100L | |  -> Website (external link) & Gallery (external link)
For Sale:Canon 16-35mm f4 IS l Do you enjoy Super Famicom games? (external link) PM me directly.

sponsored links

1,147 views & 0 likes for this thread
Upgrade to 5D ?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.