Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS News & Rumors Photography Industry News 
Thread started 25 Sep 2014 (Thursday) 06:49
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

pay $1,500 to take photos in a National Park !

Alveric
Goldmember
4,598 posts
Gallery: 38 photos
Joined Jan 2011

Sep 25, 2014 17:56 |  #16
bannedPermanent ban

sandpiper wrote in post #17177751 (external link)
That would be the next line down "more than camera and tripod", it seems pretty straightforward to understand.

D'oh! Missed that one line. :oops:

Really, really need new spectacles.

'The success of the second-rate is deplorable in itself; but it is more deplorable in that it very often obscures the genuine masterpiece. If the crowd runs after the false, it must neglect the true.' —Arthur Machen
Why 'The Histogram' Sux (external link)

sponsored links
WhidbeyHiker
Goldmember
1,890 posts
Gallery: 55 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2013

Sep 26, 2014 08:24 |  #17

I've performed hundreds of hours of volunteer work, cleaning up a state park with a designated wetlands area. We pulled everything out of there from household garbage to an Old's 442. I really can't see them infringing on the rights of non-commercial photography and I do believe this is about protecting our resources. I am absolutely certain that the $1500 fee for a crew of 70 is less than the actual cost of cleanup of some of the worst offenders.

rick_reno
Cream of the Crop
44,642 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Sep 26, 2014 09:03 |  #18

I only bring my Lilliputian staff to these places. Wonder if they'll give me a discount?

watt100
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
14,021 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Sep 26, 2014 10:35 |  #19

Dave Weldon wrote in post #17176731 (external link)
Howdy All,

Tandemhearts is on track. I think the original link is meant to stir-up the uninformed. Here are a few notes I posted in another thread. Sorry for the loss of column formatting :cry:.

I was curious about the article, so I looked-up the fee schedule that is being talked about. Looks to me that it is for commercial filming/photography.

Proposed Fee Schedule for Commercial Filming and Still Photography Permits
https://www.federalreg​ister.gov …still-photography-permits (external link)

Proposed Fee Schedules

Commercial filming land-use fee schedule

Number of people Fee

1-3, camera and tripod only $10/day or $250/month
1-5, more than a camera and tripod $75/day
6-10 $150/day
11-30 $350/day
31-50 $650/day
51-70 $1,000/day
over 70 $1,500/day

Commercial Still photography land-use fee schedule

Number of people Fee

1-3, camera and tripod only $10/day or $250/month
1-5, more than a camera and tripod $50/day
6-10 $100/day
11-20 $200/day
21-30 $300/day
over 30 $450/day

I'm not selling prints so I'm good to go

bps
Cream of the Crop
7,607 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Sep 26, 2014 15:13 |  #20

On the legal side, I wonder how this will work if I take a photograph of my wife trail running in the wilderness and then I later decide to market the image and it is picked up by a running company for a national ad?

Bryan

My Gear List

tandemhearts
583 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Mar 2014

Sep 26, 2014 16:22 |  #21

watt100 wrote in post #17178807 (external link)
I'm not selling prints so I'm good to go

It makes no difference whether or not you are just selling prints.

Shadowblade
Cream of the Crop
5,805 posts
Gallery: 26 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Dec 2008

Sep 26, 2014 23:50 |  #22

tandemhearts wrote in post #17179408 (external link)
It makes no difference whether or not you are just selling prints.

Also, selling prints isn't 'commercial use' of an image.

Using an image to advertise something is 'commercial use', not when the product being sold is the image itself.

NWPhil
441 posts
Gallery: 13 photos
Joined Apr 2010

Sep 28, 2014 01:27 as a reply to  @ Shadowblade's post |  #23

if people would take some minutes reading the articles issued by the agency in question and others related with....most likely they would not be shouting their mouth so much.

please read it all first

oh, and by the way, don't trust in the media itself to give you a impartial opinion and view. Yes they have freedom of speech and reporting, but that does not mean they do it right and say it correctly :rolleyes:

NWPhil
Editing Image OK
GEAR

Submariner
Goldmember
3,028 posts
Joined May 2012

Sep 28, 2014 11:28 |  #24

Mindless - where will this bureaucratic control end!

If you want to keep the parks clean, introduce a massive litter fine, like $10,000 snd the sbility to confiscate a persons car if they litter until they have cleaned up their mess.

Would people taking a few photos make more mess than people out for a picnic.?

The negative impact on the environment, of all the fuel used by Forest Police patrolling to catch people out; would no doubt do far more damage!

Canon EOS 5DS R, Canon EF 70-200 F2.8 L Mk II IS USM, Canon EF 70-300 F4-5.6 L IS USM, EF 40mm F2.8 STM , RC6 Remote. Canon STE-3 Radio Flash Controller, Canon 600 EX RT x4 , YN 560 MkII x2 ; Bowens GM500PRO x4 , Bowens Remote Control. Bowens Pulsar TX, RX Radio Transmitter and Reciever Cards. Bowens Constant 530 Streamlights 600w x 4 Sold EOS 5D Mk III, 7D, EF 50mm F1.8, 430 EX Mk II, Bowens GM500Rs x4

Narwhal
Goldmember
1,041 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Mar 2010

Sep 28, 2014 11:50 |  #25

Submariner, it is ALWAYS best to READ and UNDERSTAND before posting!

JIM

OhLook
insufferably pedantic. I can live with that.
19,667 posts
Gallery: 74 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Dec 2012

Sep 28, 2014 11:57 |  #26

NWPhil wrote in post #17181443 (external link)
oh, and by the way, don't trust in the media itself to give you a impartial opinion and view.

Don't even trust reporters to get the facts right. When I read newspaper or magazine articles about something I have first-hand knowledge of, I find blatant errors. Writers even make up direct quotes that the interviewee never said.

PRONOUN ADVISORY: OhLook is a she. | A FEW CORRECT SPELLINGS: lens, aperture, amateur, hobbyist, per se, raccoon, whoa, more so (2 wds.), shoo-in | Comments welcome

sandpiper
Cream of the Crop
7,171 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2006

Sep 28, 2014 11:59 |  #27

Submariner wrote in post #17182018 (external link)
Mindless - where will this bureaucratic control end!

What bureaucratic control? Nobody is stopping anybody from taking photos or shooting video, they are simply charging a small fee to those doing so commercially (i..e. for profit). It is just a location hire fee that commercial operators will regularly pay for all sorts of places where they wish to shoot.

If you want to keep the parks clean, introduce a massive litter fine, like $10,000 snd the sbility to confiscate a persons car if they litter until they have cleaned up their mess.

Would people taking a few photos make more mess than people out for a picnic.?

I have no argument against heavy litter penalties, all for it in fact, it is easy to carry your litter out with you. I am not sure what littering has to do with commercial photography though.

The negative impact on the environment, of all the fuel used by Forest Police patrolling to catch people out; would no doubt do far more damage!

Who is saying there will be more patrolling to catch people out? The charges are very low, as location fees go, and will be a negligible amount with regard to the overall shoot cost, so most shooters will simply buy their permit and shoot. I would have no issue paying the fee, it is low enough that it isn't worth trying to avoid it and risking issues later.

I was under the impression that you already needed to buy a permit for commercial shooting in the National Parks anyway, and that has been the case for some time.

Submariner
Goldmember
3,028 posts
Joined May 2012

Sep 28, 2014 12:03 |  #28

Narwhal wrote in post #17182053 (external link)
Submariner, it is ALWAYS best to READ and UNDERSTAND before posting!

So pray tell me which bit do I not understand.
They are going to introduce a permit system for certain criteria of photgraphic shoots.

Its going to be like when they introduced Parking Wardens into out tiny village!
Costs more to police than they collect. Drove people nuts. Downturn in Local trade and businesess rates etc. Why? Because you have some new bureacrat who needs to think of some crazy initiative to make his mark!

Or Variable Speed Cameras on out motorways. Any speed restriction is bound to increase queues! Waste petrol and damage the environment. Just look at our M25 - er other than inpiring a great Album " the road to hell " they achieve nothing. Just an alternative taxation sytem.

Can you tell me one real,tangible benefit this will introduce. I am all ears.

The overriding factor is I like to be able to stroll around doing whatever I like as long as its not upsettting others.
Considering its America thought you were the Land of the Free!

Just out of interest did they even buy that Land? That gives them the right to charge for extras.
Shame the original owners, probably red Indian Indians, who were illeagally driven off by force dont make a claim of ownership LOl

Canon EOS 5DS R, Canon EF 70-200 F2.8 L Mk II IS USM, Canon EF 70-300 F4-5.6 L IS USM, EF 40mm F2.8 STM , RC6 Remote. Canon STE-3 Radio Flash Controller, Canon 600 EX RT x4 , YN 560 MkII x2 ; Bowens GM500PRO x4 , Bowens Remote Control. Bowens Pulsar TX, RX Radio Transmitter and Reciever Cards. Bowens Constant 530 Streamlights 600w x 4 Sold EOS 5D Mk III, 7D, EF 50mm F1.8, 430 EX Mk II, Bowens GM500Rs x4

sandpiper
Cream of the Crop
7,171 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Sep 28, 2014 12:05 |  #29

OhLook wrote in post #17182060 (external link)
Don't even trust reporters to get the facts right. When I read newspaper or magazine articles about something I have first-hand knowledge of, I find blatant errors. Writers even make up direct quotes that the interviewee never said.

Yeah, I have been incorrectly quoted many times, and events I have been involved in have been reported with many blatant errors. I don't think anything I have been involved in has ever been reported 100% correctly.

When working as a freelance photographer many years ago, a journalist I worked with once said to me, "Never let the facts get in the way of a good story".

sandpiper
Cream of the Crop
7,171 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Sep 28, 2014 12:09 |  #30

Submariner wrote in post #17182066 (external link)
The overriding factor is I like to be able to stroll around doing whatever I like as long as its not upsettting others.

And how is this stopping that?

They aren't saying you can't do it, just that if it is commercial in nature you pay a small token fee.

sponsored links

9,142 views & 1 like for this thread
pay $1,500 to take photos in a National Park !
FORUMS News & Rumors Photography Industry News 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.